Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jomo924
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

02_tz_lamp_locations.jpg
    01_tz_lamp_matrix.jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Had 2 bulbs that wouldn’t light 5mil mid right that was all,,, after a while now 5 mil lower right isn’t working, 5 mil up right dim sorta flashing, 5 mil low left , mid left and dead end also out now, obviously tried new bulbs what’s next ?

#2 2 years ago

Are these #555 bulbs in a socket snapped into a circuit board ? If so remove it, and reflow the solder on the pins the connector plugs onto.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

I've had to flip flop the black sockets around to different places in the past. Sometimes they can be very picky ...

#4 2 years ago

Yes they are the 555 bulbs into socket into pc board but it was only the one board and two bulbs now it’s all the 5 million bulb and board , just wondering if they have something in common

#5 2 years ago

Reflow the solder like Lloyd said. Might need to bend the tabs on sockets a little more so they make good contact.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jomo924:

just wondering if they have something in common

You mean like pins the connector plugs onto. That gravity and vibration has messed with their solder joints. Yes.

#7 2 years ago

I tried the tabs on ends no good

#8 2 years ago

So for some reason only the connectors on the 5 million bulb (3 different boards) need reflowing?

#9 2 years ago

Not everybody has a Twilight Zone in front of them. I think posting images of your boards could help others see what you're seeing. I don't like offering blind help for something that is not a common or well known issue across machines.

Meanwhile ... this might help you see your problem in a different way.

01_tz_lamp_matrix.jpg01_tz_lamp_matrix.jpg
    02_tz_lamp_locations.jpg02_tz_lamp_locations.jpg

#10 2 years ago

Yes all those you have colors around have. Stopped working initially it was just 72,73 now it’s every one you have marked in color and what is odd is 74 works and it’s on the same board as 71,72,73,,, also 57 works and it’s on same board as 75,,, it might be a reflowing issue but it seems strange what’s happening , I will get back at it tomorrow , the back hurts bent over too long lol

#11 2 years ago

Ok I reflowed the pins on two of the circuit boards the 4 lamp ( it has 3 5million bulbs 1 power payout bulb) and the 3 lamp ( 2 5million bulbs 1 dead end bulb) still scratching my head , I ordered a bunch of new lamp sockets but I don’t expect that to solve this,,, is there some checks I can make at the power driver board ?

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jomo924:

is there some checks I can make

Put a meter on the socket - power yes or no ? power on the two spots the socket snaps onto ? power at the pins the connector plugs onto ?

Try and narrow down where power stops.

#13 2 years ago

Ok just so I am doing it right , red to one side of board where socket sits and black to other side socket sits??? TIA,,,what voltage should I get ?

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jomo924:

what voltage should I get ?

Feature lamps - 6 volts DC

#15 2 years ago

Red meter lead on one side black on other side?

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jomo924:

Red meter lead on one side black on other side?

Youtube has short videos on how to use a meter and measure DC voltage. Maybe even your meter.

#17 2 years ago

Can you post which one you recommend? I see a few but not seeing what I can relate to,,,, I just want to tell you that I appreciate all this and how men like yourself are willing to share your knowledge with newbies like myself

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jomo924:

Can you post which one you recommend?

Here is a start. You can also search Youtube for the make of your meter for instructional videos.

#19 2 years ago

Oh ok I understand and thanks

#20 2 years ago

I got confused cause I didn’t see the lamp socket near the battery but I get it

#21 2 years ago

Lights all fixed changed 7 bulb sockets that looked perfectly fine BUT apparently they weren’t ,,,, thanks for all help

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-light-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.