(Topic ID: 188761)

Twilight Zone left spiral magnet won't release ball.

By Gatinho

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Manny65
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stuckBall (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

I'm a new owner of this classic game. Twilight Zone: when the left spiral magnet catches a ball for various reasons, the ball is held there until the machine starts looking for the lost ball, and at some point one of the checks is to release the ball from that magnet. Until the check releases that ball, however, it is hung there indefinitely, and the magnet has too strong of a hold to nudge the ball loose of that magnetic hold.

Is this a known issue? Is there a known fix?

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

Are you sure the magnet pole or the balls haven't become magnetized ?

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Is the magnet level with the playfield?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Are you sure the magnet pole or the balls haven't become magnetized ?

Quoted from Maken:

Is the magnet level with the playfield?

Those were the two that came to mind for me as well. Both magnets in my spiral were well below the playfield when I purchased my TZ. They were fairly beat up anyway, so I swapped them out with new cores while adjusting.

#5 6 years ago

I had this problem on my Dirty Harry. It was the beat up core not being level with the playfield.

EDIT: To clarify what is actually happening, the ball is getting hung up on the edge between the steel core and the wood play field, sort of like it's sitting in a ditch

1 week later
#6 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies, although the problem persists.

Most theories posted here were that the ball is getting hung up on a lip from an uneven magnet where it penetrates the play-field, but as you can see in the attached photo, it's not hung up on any lip. The area is smooth and flush. The ball is literally being held there by an active magnet. This magnet gets turned off at some point in the game's search for the ball... which makes it let go. I'm not sure why that magnet stays stuck in the active state.

While annoying, it's not a game-breaker so long as the player doesn't try to shake the ball free. If you tilt the machine, then that's a game breaker. The machine has to be turned off to get the ball free.

I was hoping it was a "yeah, common problem, here's the easy fix" kind of issue.

stuckBall (resized).jpegstuckBall (resized).jpeg

#7 6 years ago

There's another simple solution. You may have the wrong grade or type of balls. IOW, the ball itself has become magnetic.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Gatinho:

Most theories posted here were that the ball is getting hung up on a lip from an uneven magnet where it penetrates the play-field, but as you can see in the attached photo, it's not hung up on any lip.

The reason for this is that powering down the magnet would not normally be part of the ball search procedure and if the magnet was locked on you would blow a fuse, transistor, etc. Not ruling out that possibility but it would be more likely the vibration caused by the solenoids firing is releasing the ball.

If you turn the game off when the ball is locked does it release?

7 months later
#9 6 years ago

So I had a similar issue with my TZ but with the right spiral. It locked on and burnt the PF but mostly the underside. Maybe the eddy board?

2 years later
#10 3 years ago

reposting this in the hope that someone has since figured it out - because I have the exact same issue on my TZ. I was excited to see the match come up on my search but so disappointed there was no resolution. I emphasize that it acts just as described below - the magnet just doesn't let go. When it does the ball check, you can often jostle it loose without tilting it but that's it.

"I'm a new owner of this classic game. Twilight Zone: when the left spiral magnet catches a ball for various reasons, the ball is held there until the machine starts looking for the lost ball, and at some point one of the checks is to release the ball from that magnet. Until the check releases that ball, however, it is hung there indefinitely, and the magnet has too strong of a hold to nudge the ball loose of that magnetic hold.
Is this a known issue? Is there a known fix?"

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkDPar:

Magnet pole magnetized ? Optos for it not working ? Balls magnetized and sticking to it ?

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkDPar:

reposting this in the hope that someone has since figured it out - because I have the exact same issue on my TZ. I was excited to see the match come up on my search but so disappointed there was no resolution. I emphasize that it acts just as described below - the magnet just doesn't let go. When it does the ball check, you can often jostle it loose without tilting it but that's it.
"I'm a new owner of this classic game. Twilight Zone: when the left spiral magnet catches a ball for various reasons, the ball is held there until the machine starts looking for the lost ball, and at some point one of the checks is to release the ball from that magnet. Until the check releases that ball, however, it is hung there indefinitely, and the magnet has too strong of a hold to nudge the ball loose of that magnetic hold.

My right magnet used to do this - it was a combination of the ball being slightly magnetized, and the magnet core being just a touch low on the playfield. So the combination of the slightly magnetized ball and the tiny lip created by the low core was just enough to hold the ball hostage

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkDPar:

MarkDPar did you get this fixed - if so what was the issue?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-left-spiral-magnet-wont-release-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.