Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by robertmee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 11.03.37 AM (resized).png

#1 9 months ago

Hello Pinside group!
First, thank you for reading and offering any advice on the below. I am finally getting around to working on my pins. I recently messed something up on my Twilight Zone. I was putting brighter LEDs under the slingshots. I did insert the lights when the game was on... I know, I know... bad move. I should of had the machine off. I can't think if I messed with anything else, but after that, pop bumpers, slings and outlanes aren't working. They fire when i go through and test the coils. I was hoping in was just a fuse. When i look at the chart of the switches, everything in column 3 (Green-Orange wire) isn't working. I've traced that wire, and didn't see any visual issues. Is there something i'm overlooking? Can someone point me in the right direction with my voltmeter? I greatly appreciate any help.

Up next, a question regarding my WIZARD! When the ball drains, it counts the bonus up, and down... so it goes indefinitely. Great for a high score, but i prefer to play Ball 2.

I'm attaching the chart of Switches for TZ.

Thank you!
Eric

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 11.03.37 AM (resized).png
#2 9 months ago

Pull the connectors j206 and j208 (see them marked in the column and row). Put them aside.

Put game into switch edge test, and using a jumper wire hold one end onto J206 pin3 on the board (that's the column of bad switches), and put the other end of jumper wire onto each pin of 208 on the board, one at a time. Do any of the switches register? If no, move wire to j206 pin 2 and repeat test...do any of those switches work?

If one column works and the other doesnt, then you fried something on the board. Possibly U20. If both columns work, then you have a playfield wiring issue.

#3 9 months ago

Thank you, @robertmee

This makes sense. I will dive into this soon and report back!

thanks, again.

1 week later
#4 8 months ago

robertmee I was finally able to check the machine as you suggested. When I connected another J206 plug into the 3 pin, the switches do register in switch test mode.

Does this mean part of U20 is fried? Everything else on J206 works like it should.

Should I try a continuity test from that board? Not 100% sure I know how to do that, but I can research.

Thanks!

#5 8 months ago
Quoted from BouncePass:

robertmee I was finally able to check the machine as you suggested. When I connected another J206 plug into the 3 pin, the switches do register in switch test mode.
Does this mean part of U20 is fried? Everything else on J206 works like it should.
Should I try a continuity test from that board? Not 100% sure I know how to do that, but I can research.
Thanks!

If I'm understanding you, when you jumpered j206 pin 3, to each pin of j208 on the board, the eight different switches registered? If so, then your board is likely ok. Your issue would be from the connector to the switches in the pf.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.95
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside