(Topic ID: 99804)

Twilight Zone Home Roms: News from Ted Estes?

By Alby87

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrofnoc
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi!
I'm a pinball fan, and I own a TZ since 2003, my only pinball and one that will never leave my home.

I remember in RGP when the 9.4H/BH/CH was hot topic, and some minutes ago I came to my mind that story, and I searched that famous message, https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.pinball/5exaK_Q8-Pc/70Tl7ojZvBAJ

I can't be more sorrow for what TZ could be more than actually is. Believe me, I would still love to have a proper "street level" 9.4, with home features removed and coin working.

Quoting

"Also note that I introduced lots of bugs along the way. I was working with
source code and a debugger. I wasn't reverse engineering and changing bytes
in the ROM. I was working on source code of which I wrote a significant
portion. Let me repeat my point to drive it home for the one or two of you
who missed it: I introduced bugs."

"As it turns out, 9.4H has a few
minor bugs that were discovered by the people who upgraded. I have been
(slowly) fixing those bugs in anticipation of a 9.5 release."

I think many TZ owners would be more that interested in a 9.5 final release.

That message is from 99. Have his position changed in 16 years? If he would do that, can he use the original Williams development kit and source code?

Bye!
Alby87

1 month later
#2 5 years ago

No news about that?

#3 5 years ago

When I bought my TZ back in 2002, it had the regular ROMS installed. I changed over the the 9.4H to gain the pause feature and the LITZ practice mode.

If there were bugs introduced, I have not noticed them, unless it has something to do with how some of the sound effects are played. I have noticed that some of them get shortened, if you start another mode, but this might be normal.

As far as a 9.5 release, I haven't heard anything.

#4 5 years ago

Since Ted is at JJP, doubt he has time, resources, rights or desire to further develop TZ code.

The home features in 9.4h (LITZ cheat, mute and pause) can be turned off in adjustments. There is a 9.4ch version which adds coin play. Lots of people have been using 9.4h for years and I've not seen any say there's an absolutely must fix bug in there. Plus the lamp matrix is patched. No one reported anything dramatic in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wish-list-of-bugs-in-wmsbly-wpcwpc95-code-to-fix

So not sure what else you're looking for or which bug you think must be fixed.

viperrwk

#5 5 years ago

More important, as many of us recall, he was angered that someone modified his code for coin use and all but vowed to never release anything else. A decade and a half later, he is true to that word.

#6 5 years ago

I have a bug in my 9.4H ROM. When you get the Hitchhiker panel, and the total number of hitchhikers you have are displayed as lights on the playfield, then the lights go out one by one and the number of hitchhikers are counted down. Sometimes it counts down correctly and some times it doesn't. Is this just my machine?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Sometimes it counts down correctly and some times it doesn't. Is this just my machine?

known bug

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside