• Latest reply 6 years ago by Catch86
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Col-Row (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I get a "almost every time" ground short row 1 is stuck closed message when turning on my newly acquired Twilight Zone. I've searched other posts and have checked all the switches that are easily accessible in row 1 looking for a short. I also checked fuse F115. I tried unplugging J208 and still got the message.

I'm suspecting U18 on the MPU board. But would like a second opinion before I start board work.

Other interesting facts -

MPU board is original and when inspecting it the only repair I could see was moving the batteries off the board.

I've lost a ball somewhere in the machine. I'm guessing its stuck somewhere under the playfield.

While looking for balls, I opened up the plastic under playfield ramp for the gumball machine. Managed to get 3 balls out of it and already had removed two other balls that were under the apron. After doing this, for one reboot and only one reboot the gnd short message went away.

When I turn the machine on, prior to the error message the machine continually tries to launch a ball from the auto-fire kicker, continually moves the shooter diverter and the clock dial moves.

Thanks for the help!!

Allen

#2 6 years ago

If you took the balls outs and turned the game on it will try to reload the gumball machine automatically. That’s why you see that activity.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks Lermods - I think this means my MPU board isn't completely fried!

Update - I found the missing ball, it was stuck up in the corner between pieces of plastic. Still getting ground short message.

The thing that is baffling me is the fact that one time the machine booted up fine without the ground short message. I would thing that if I really had an issue with a grounded switch in row 1 that the issue wouldn't happen when I removed plug J208.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

I would thing that if I really had an issue with a grounded switch in row 1 that the issue wouldn't happen when I removed plug J208.

You should also remove J212 along with J208 as you also have cabinet switches from J212 that are tied to row 1 on the MPU; you will likely see the ground short go away with J212 removed.

Col-Row (resized).jpgCol-Row (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Thanks Pin Guy - removed j208 and j212 and still received the ground short message.

Last night I had another successful reboot. Thought I would try and run tests, but the enter button on the coin door wouldn't register. Then I thought I'd try and play a game, but the start button also didn't register.

I'm beginning to think it is indeed a fried U18, hopefully only U18.

Allen

#6 6 years ago

You don't have any corrosion on the top side where the battery holder used to be do you?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

You don't have any corrosion on the top side where the battery holder used to be do you?

I was just getting ready to ask the same thing.

John

#8 6 years ago

Start here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Switch_Matrix_Problems

If you don't have significant PCB repair experience, send it to a pro.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#9 6 years ago

No battery corrosion. I've successfully repaired my Gilligan's Island driver board several times. I think I'll take a shot at doing this myself. If I am unsuccessful, I'll buy either a working OEM board or a new Rottendog.

I'll repost to this thread when I get things working.

Thanks for the help gang!

#10 6 years ago

To be sure, can you pull the Ribboncable from J211 and start the machine.
There have been a few cases here on Pinside where the driverboard is shorting the switch matrix to Ground.

#11 6 years ago

Thanks Leiden. I pulled the cable and machine behaved differently during the first start up, it displayed very quickly all the audit data. When I shut it down and brought it back up it with the cable still unplugged it went back to the ground short message. I'm certain I have a really sick MPU!

#12 6 years ago

I'm making some progress. After my last post I discovered that fuse F114 was blowing as soon as the machine was turned on. I traced the issue back to a bad transformer. The 13volt AC leg was getting 17 volts. After swapping out the transformer and reconnecting everything I still got the ground short row 1 message. But this time the hard wired switches on the coin door worked. I unplugged J212 and J208 and the error went away!

It now appears to me that the MPU board is OK and that there is really something else shorting row 1. I also get a clock error and the clock just cycles around and around.

Is it possible that the high voltage from the transformer damaged playfield boards? I'm not sure what else the 13v AC tap on the transformer feeds?

Allen

#13 6 years ago

Might be the Opto board SW10? Row 1 has switch 81 "lower right magnet" which goes thru the opto board. I've had to replace the LM339's on that board on my DW.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 12.95
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-ground-short-row-1-is-stuck-closed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.