Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by underlord
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I was just testing my friends Fish Tales main board in my Twilight Zone.
When I put my TZ main board back in I accidentally plugged j-107 into j-106 which is a non used plug for flash/coil power.
Putting the plug back in the correct place did not fix my problem. Afraid I blew something now.
The game powers up but I get a message on the screen that says "ground short, column one"
And my VUK on my gumball machine just pops over and over.
what have I done?
Any ideas on what to check first are appreciated.

#2 10 years ago

Opto circuit isn't functioning correctly. Double check all connectors on CPU. If all ok and correct, will need to diagnose CPU chips. Certain chips are very sensitive to connector shorts. Lm339's if memory serves?

Vuk thinks opto circuit is open so it's trying to remove the ''ball" it thinks is stuck in there. Trace where j107 goes to... That lm339 chip may be damaged and have to be replaced.

#3 10 years ago

After looking in my manual, I only see 3 lm339 chips. U6, U15, and U16.

I also read online the a usual culprit is the ULN2803 chip at U19
Is there an easy way to test these IC's and find which one it may be or could I have messed something up with the opto itself and the chips are fine?

This is what I found online below:
Ground Short - Error Message

It is not unusual to come across an error message GROUND SHORT ROW #. It is very likely caused by a damaged output of the switch matrix column driver ULN2803. Replacing this IC will in most cases fix the problem. What is sometimes more difficult and time consuming is to find the reason why the IC got damaged in the first place. The consequence of not making this effort can lead to repeated problems and more serious damage to the CPU board going way beyond the ULN chip.

The damage usually happens due to a short circuit between the switch matrix and one of the other voltages used in the playfield. It can be the +50VDC for the solenoids, or +20VDC for the flashers, or short between the switch matrix and lamp matrix which works of 18VDC or general illumination which uses 6.3VAC.

#4 10 years ago

You're right. U19 was my issue, I had socketed all my 2803's on my CPU, but the lm339's are on the 10 opto board under the pf I believe. Sorry about that, been awhile since I've had my CPU issue. :p

I had gotten a 10 opto board for my TZ from tony at Great Lakes modular, has the awesome receiver/ transmitter LEDs built on it so you can test each opto from that board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-ground-short-column-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.