View topic image gallery

TZEX2 (resized).jpg
TZEx (resized).jpg
DSC00606 (resized).JPG
DSC00605 (resized).JPG
DSC00604 (resized).JPG
DSC00603 (resized).JPG
DSC00602 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Claster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi, all. I noticed that the Extra Ball button on my TZ machine (I'm not the original owner) was worked on somewhat clumsily (there's weird glue all over the switch, and some duct tape and god only knows what else) so I got a replacement, but am having trouble figuring out how it's supposed to be wired. There are five terminals and only four wires. There are two small electronic components (pretty sure they're diodes, but this is slightly outside my realm of expertise... they're very small black cylindrical things barely bigger than a sprinkle you'd find on ice cream) with a silver ring at one end. I can't find anywhere in the service manual anything telling me how this is supposed to be wired, or what those specific probably-diodes are. I have a nice multitester, but my expertise with it is limited to continuity and battery testing. Can I test these probably-diodes with the multitester to make sure they're still good and are correct, and if so, how? The new one I bought didn't come with the probably-diodes attached. I wired the replacement I bought the way the old one was wired with the old probably-diodes (though I have no way of knowing if they're good or not), and while the light comes on as intended, the switch isn't functioning. Anybody got any good advice? The machine will probably be free-play only for the duration of my life, at least, but it would be nice to be able to use that cool pause feature. And besides, I'm sure you all can relate to wanting to make everything perfect. Thanks so much!

--Bob

#5 5 years ago

Thanks so much. But is there any way of testing to see if (a) the prior owner put the correct diodes in place? And (b) if the diodes are still good? Do diodes go bad? If I need to replace them, what are the specs of it that I need to get? Or aren't there many kinds or sizes or flavors of diodes? Sorry to be so dumb.

Bob

#8 5 years ago

YOU ROCK! Your pictures were perfect, and helped me spot and fix my mistakes quickly, and all is now well. (Lesson for the future: remembering that a diode gets connected "to the yellow wire" is only half the battle, if there are two different yellow wires!) Thanks so much! You are a magnificent human being!

Bob Claster
[email protected]
www.bobclaster.com

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Claster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-extra-ball-switch-wiring?tu=Claster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.