(Topic ID: 279523)

Twilight Zone DMD problem - corrupt ROM?

By adeysolaris

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    CPU board (resized).jpg
    20201016_112055 (resized).jpg
    20201016_112033 (resized).jpg
    2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png
    20201015_003405 (resized).jpg
    20201015_003325 (resized).jpg
    20201015_003329 (resized).jpg
    20201015_003327 (resized).jpg
    20201013_221702 (resized).jpg
    20201013_220909 (resized).jpg
    20201013_221413 (resized).jpg
    20201013_220744 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dumbass.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago

I've had a similar experience with the ribbon cable connector (data lines).

I was asked to look at a DMC (dot matrix controller) exhibiting page errors. Sure enough display test shows page errors. I took the board home.

Put the board on my bench. Passes display test perfectly. Weird. Put the board in a machine and it passes the display test perfectly. Put the board back on my bench. Passes display test perfectly.

So I give the board back to the owner and well ... it works perfectly.

I call it "pinball voodoo".

#8 3 years ago

If you have re-seated the ribbon cable and you know it's good (likely is but is not guaranteed to be due to being brand new) then take Chris Hibler's advice. It is very likely you have a problem in the digital logic section of the DMC board. If after replacing the SRAM the page errors still persist visit the Pinwiki page for WPC and you will find some more information on DMC page errors.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I really like confirming a board is at fault by putting the suspect board in a known working game.

Good advice if the potential problem is in the digital logic section (as it is for this problem). I concur that you should try this if you want another data point.

For other higher voltage problems it can pose a risk of damage to the machine that is being used for testing. It's often safe but not always safe.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dumbass.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-dmd-problem-corrupt-rom?tu=dumbass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.