View topic image gallery

TZ bumper.jpg
20150218_041313.jpg
P1010243.JPG
P1010238.JPG
P1010247.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hi there!
I noticed that my TZ has some design problems regarding the ball.
For example during multiball, when the pin autolaunches the ball, 8 out of 10 times it can't properly do the loop. So if falls just on the Right upper flipper and not on the Left upper flipper. How can I fix this?

Second problem:
Sometimes after the right ramp, the ball falls from the bridge diverter.
And worse, sometimes the diverter opens so fast that it shoots the ball on the playfield/glass.

Do you know how to solve this problems?Or do you know a good site/tutorial that helps fixing -in-famous pinball bugs?

Are there any other design problems to fix?
Thanks

#2 9 years ago

Check the angle of the autolaunch to make sure it's hitting the ball square on. Maybe a new coil sleeve or plunger to decrease friction.
Make sure you have the right coil on the bridge diverter
Check the wireform bridge to see if it's bent or leaning the wrong way. Make sure the ramp is securely tightened so the bridge is not loose.

#3 9 years ago

A lot of problems are typically due to age and wear, which can vary from machine to machine, and are not necessarily design flaws from the get-go.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks guys!

#5 9 years ago

I've heard using a magnet on the back of the diverter works wonders. There's some discussion of that here:

http://www.pinballrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1046

#6 9 years ago

Ramp diverter magnet is one of the best and most necessary mods, a year of tweaking and it was still inconsistent without the magnet.

#7 9 years ago

Great tip for the magnet! Thanks!
I was inspecting the diverter and it was very loose. I'll have to figure a way to better constrain it.
And I noted someone did an unconventional fix there
Photo:
P1010243.JPGP1010243.JPG
Could you please send me a picture showing how it should look like?! Thanks!

Still got the autolaunch problem, here's a photo of what happens:
P1010247.JPGP1010247.JPG
The ball rarely bounces on spot 1, but it bounces very often on spot 2 (right over the magnet). So it doesn't complete the loop.
Here's a photo of the autolauncher:
P1010238.JPGP1010238.JPG
I put two identical red circles to underline the different gap.
Any idea on how to fix it? The ball gate is slanted so I'm sure that doesen't help..

Another bug that I found is that if I do a skill shot and ball comes back too fast, it will fall from the rocket. Hints for this one? Another magnet I guess?

Thanks!

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from JDee:

I was inspecting the diverter and it was very loose. I'll have to figure a way to better constrain it.
Photo:

The ball rarely bounces on spot 1, but it bounces very often on spot 2 (right over the magnet). So it doesn't complete the loop.

Any idea on how to fix it? The ball gate is slanted so I'm sure that doesen't help..
Another bug that I found is that if I do a skill shot and ball comes back too fast, it will fall from the rocket. Hints for this one? Another magnet I guess?
Thanks!

P1010247.JPG 55 KB

P1010238.JPG 41 KB

P1010243.JPG 71 KB

Quoted from JDee:

Photo:

Thanks!

P1010247.JPG 55 KB

P1010238.JPG 41 KB

P1010243.JPG 71 KB

Well the auto launcher is pretty easy to bend one way or the other to get it where u want it.that's what I did there are also other tricks but thats all mine needed

#9 9 years ago

If you bend the auto plunger and are still having trouble making the loop, clean the loop thoroughly and wax it. Almost every machine I have bought has had dirty loops or orbits and the friction is too much for the relatively weak auto plungers to overcome.

#10 9 years ago

yeeah it was easy to bend but I couldn't find a way to block it in the right position..

#11 9 years ago

As for the diverter, I would buy a new one and do the magnet mod on it. I don't need a professionally restored pin, but I hate Jerry-rigged stuff like that.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

If you bend the auto plunger and are still having trouble making the loop, clean the loop thoroughly and wax it. Almost every machine I have bought has had dirty loops or orbits and the friction is too much for the relatively weak auto plungers to overcome.

well my pin is very dirty, I just got it..
but thanks for the tip, didn't think about that! I'l clean it as soon as possible!

#13 9 years ago

Info on ball launcher problem here: http://www.edcheung.com/album/album08/pinball/tz.htm

And for the rocket ship bounce out, you need the anti-bounce post. I installed this and haven't had a bounce out since- http://www.retroblast.com/articles/modzone_3.html#Bounce

#14 9 years ago

Thank you everybody! I didn't know all these were well known issues!
I'm trying to solve them on my pinball I'll post my solutions when I'll got them fixed!

#15 9 years ago

Do you guys think this: http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/338 and this: http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/178 can a) solve the rocket bounce problem and b) work togheter?

I'm in europe and those are the nearest things I found since I can't use marco's

1 week later
#16 9 years ago

Very often ball bounces off from "lock" up right in playfield.. How to avoid that?
Thanks

#17 9 years ago

TZ often bounces out of the lock, Its known to be erratic even on new machines.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from JDee:

Very often ball bounces off from "lock" up right in playfield.. How to avoid that?
Thanks

I bent the top metal piece that is curved upward in that area even more so I never get a bounce out. My friend did the same to his game and his results were not quite as dramatic as mine, but a major improvement none the less.

#19 9 years ago

Thank you Litz, I'll try.
Funny how the best pinball seems to be the worst pinball.

It seems they didn't even try to test and fix pinballs

#20 9 years ago

I disagree with the comment that all games do it - even when new. My sample TZ never bounced out, and still doesn't. If it bounces out, it's likely because a spacer is missing on the far/top two through-field bolts, so that the lock entrance is too low, causing the ball to hit it.

My lock mech still has these, as I've been the only tech on my machine since it came from Greater Southern many years back.

2 months later
#21 9 years ago

Do you guys think this: http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/338 and this: http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/178 can a) solve the rocket bounce problem and b) work togheter?

Thanks!

#22 9 years ago

All you need do is this I haven't had one issue since .cost nothing20150218_041313.jpg20150218_041313.jpg

#23 9 years ago

I'd make sure your table is correctly leveled.

Mine doesn't have the post and never misses the rocket ship

#24 9 years ago

Mine rarely did it but I put afix there anyhow y not its not hurting anything

#25 9 years ago

BigD, mine has the rocket bounce one out of 50 games and I like your idea and will be using it.

#26 9 years ago

I dont even go for the skill shot lol not worth

#27 9 years ago

i used something similar:

TZ bumper.jpgTZ bumper.jpg

It's a rubber foot - bought in a pack of 4 from eBay. I also put one on the edge of the power field behind the top right pop bumper, behind the Magnaflip sign, to stop the ball getting wedged in that tiny gap once in every 500 games.

#28 9 years ago

Thanks you guys!
I'v solved that thanks to your photos!

Now I got this problem: very often the slot serves me the ball not directly on the right flipper, but on the right slingshot and it is very annoying.. Do you have hints for this issue? thanks!

#29 9 years ago

Are your welds still secure on the scoop weldment? Also check that the tip of the plunger is not out of round where it meets the ball, hardware is tight, and that the coil sleeve isn't worn.

1 year later
#30 7 years ago

Just wanted to give everyone some feedback and post my results. My game had the normal auto launch ball rattle not making the spiral loop every time. I checked out the link in post #13 that dluth put up. I added one washer as the writeup suggests; mine already had one washer so now up to a total of 2. This seemed to help, but not fix the problem. I bent my kicker arm slightly to the right of center and so far every ball I tested has made it around the spiral loop. I was even able to keep the small round rubber that is between the 2 shooter lanes

I would suggest to people adding a washer or two and experimenting around with bending their kicker arm as I did. Not sure if everyone is doing this or not, but I put my game in continuous gumball test mode while I was diagnosing the problem so it would continuously launch balls and I didn't have to manually feed them to the auto launcher.

#31 7 years ago

Re guarding bounce out from the rocket, one point to keep in mind is the switch wire may be bent to far forward for what ever reason, you need to check this, sometimes ball can hit switch wire side'on & deflect off

5 years later
#32 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Ramp diverter magnet is one of the best and most necessary mods, a year of tweaking and it was still inconsistent without the magnet.

Added thin washer on the left of Mech & put a Refrigerator strength magnet on the backside of the Launcher cradle. thanks guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 29.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-design-ball-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.