New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 65765)

Twilight Zone Clock says Broken - Help!

By sanderr2

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Antennaejim
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1142AA3-F43D-424A-8AE6-34AA8C0F6C24 (resized).jpeg
image.jpg
IMGP7964.jpg

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Thanks I'll look into this.
I did the LED upgrade kit which also has new resistors and header pins and connector for the spot where the two boards connect.
I'm only resisting the Ingo board because I've spent so much time and I'm so close - I'd hate to give up now.
But then I fear it will probably crap out in a few weeks and I'll need to do it anyway.

Respect for your endurance, indeed it is a great feeling to get the clock working alone.

But if you have ever considered having my clock-board, here is a hint to my special offer for pinsiders only:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/17#post-2423434

#52 5 years ago

I'll plug a new board again. I rebuilt the OEMS several times and had them work; yes its a great feeling. But went to one of Ingo's boards nearly a year ago and it's not even glitched one time since, and the game gets played a lot. Absolutely one of the best technologies out there, ranks right up with the GLM ball trough boards for trouble-free play. I love mine, just waiting for him to send me some replacement LEDS so I can swap out the cool whites for warm - want to get back to that more original look, but that's just a taste/cosmetic issue and he has so many choices for that!
Great product, great communication. Can't go wrong and you'll be glad you can turn on the game and not spend the whole time watching to see if the clock is working correctly.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

I'll plug a new board again. I rebuilt the OEMS several times and had them work; yes its a great feeling. But went to one of Ingo's boards nearly a year ago and it's not even glitched one time since, and the game gets played a lot. Absolutely one of the best technologies out there, ranks right up with the GLM ball trough boards for trouble-free play. I love mine, just waiting for him to send me some replacement LEDS so I can swap out the cool whites for warm - want to get back to that more original look, but that's just a taste/cosmetic issue and he has so many choices for that!
Great product, great communication. Can't go wrong and you'll be glad you can turn on the game and not spend the whole time watching to see if the clock is working correctly.

Thanks for your praise.

Please send me your adress via PM and I send you a set of warm-white and blue LEDs for free ( normal shipping without tracking number - not so expensive )

2 years later
#54 2 years ago

Have the ingo board ( german-pinball ) and getting a clock is broken message all of a sudden. However, all optos register in "clock test" any ideas?

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Have the ingo board ( german-pinball ) and getting a clock is broken message all of a sudden. However, all optos register in "clock test" any ideas?

Likely not a problem of the board.

More information is needed. At what point is the error thrown? During gameplay? After starting attract mode (when it forwards/rewinds the clock to mindight), etc?

#56 2 years ago

You'll see 4 posts up where I praised Ingo's board 2 years ago. Just want to update that it remains flawless after a lot of additional play - never an issue. Still think it belongs in the pinball mod hall of fame as one of the greatest mods out there!

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Likely not a problem of the board.
More information is needed. At what point is the error thrown? During gameplay? After starting attract mode (when it forwards/rewinds the clock to mindight), etc?

Error is shown on DMD when you power up game as test report error. I don’t think it’s board related either just adding that it’s installed. Thanks for the help

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Error is shown on DMD when you power up game as test report error. I don’t think it’s board related either just adding that it’s installed. Thanks for the help

Does it do the startup test? If so, how does the clock stop? At what time?

Likely your minute hand shaft is loose, so when the clock is resetting, it's missing the 0-minute opto. May need to fit a small (thin) washer on it to tighten it down. If you search here, there are a few threads that gives some more info.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Likely your minute hand shaft is loose, so when the clock is resetting, it's missing the 0-minute opto. May need to fit a small (thin) washer on it to tighten it down. If you search here, there are a few threads that gives some more info.

Thanks! I will take a look!

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Thanks! I will take a look!

Did you install the 4 upper optos the correct way??? All notched edges must show to OUTSIDE!!!!!

See installation guide here:

http://www.german-pinball-modular.de/tz-clock-instruction-english.html

and download the newest version as PDF here:

http://www.german-pinball-modular.de/get_file.php?id=28051417&vnr=108585

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

Did you install the 4 upper optos the correct way??? All notched edges must show to OUTSIDE!!!!!

It has worked without issue with your board for months. Going to trouble shoot tonight. Thanks for the reply

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

My minute hand doesn’t settle at 12. Is this an issue? See attached. Thanks guys

Quoted from Coyote:

D1142AA3-F43D-424A-8AE6-34AA8C0F6C24 (resized).jpeg

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

My minute hand doesn’t settle at 12. Is this an issue? See attached. Thanks guys

Yeah, that's not right.

When you turn the game on, OR exit test mode, the clock should go forward for about 2.5 seconds. Then, it will try to reset back to midnight. (If it's after 6:15, it will continue forward to 12:00. If it's 12:00 through 6:15, it will reverse and go counter-clockwise.

In clock test mode, on fasr forward speed, all four minute optos should register, and the hour should change when the minute hand is around the :30 minute mark.

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yeah, that's not right.
When you turn the game on, OR exit test mode, the clock should go forward for about 2.5 seconds. Then, it will try to reset back to midnight. (If it's after 6:15, it will continue forward to 12:00. If it's 12:00 through 6:15, it will reverse and go counter-clockwise.
In clock test mode, on fasr forward speed, all four minute optos should register, and the hour should change when the minute hand is around the :30 minute mark.

Is there a way to adjust the minute hand?

#65 2 years ago

My Ingo board has never been installed because it did this same behavior when I first installed it. It sits on the shelf in my tool room as a decoration.... Rottendog board was re-installed. all boards test perfectly as well as gameplay is perfect.

1 month later
#66 2 years ago

I picked up a TZ over the weekend. I got the “everything works” message when we spoke. When I got there I found a switch error and the “clock broken” message. Got it home and did a little diagnostics on the clock. The 12 o’clock opto does not register when testing the clock. I cleaned it off with a q-tip and some alcohol to no avail. Haven’t torn into the clock yet, but recall reading the opto’s are no longer produced. Anyone know of a newer part/part number that I can replace the bad opto with?

#67 2 years ago

The best thing to do is to replace the old board with a brand new one.You can the test that opto for the time being just unscrew the clock plastic front cover and put the game in switch test and place a business card in between the opto and see if it registers on the screen.The hands in the clock sometimes don't fully go through the optos

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

The best thing to do is to replace the old board with a brand new one.You can the test that opto for the time being just unscrew the clock plastic front cover and put the game in switch test and place a business card in between the opto and see if it registers on the screen.The hands in the clock sometimes don't fully go through the optos

Sorry, wasn’t clear, I already tested with a piece of paper and it doesn’t register. Would like to just replace the opto for now. Maybe new board is down the road. Original part # 5490-13451-00

#69 2 years ago

Original optos aren't available anymore. You have some options -

(1) Find another original board that has at least one working opto, and desolder it from one board, and soldering it onto your board, or
(2) Get the same opto but with shorter legs (*) and solder extensions onto it, and solder it onto your board.
(3) Just bite the bullet and get Ingo's board. You won't be dissatisfied.

(*) - Back in the day, the optos were still available, just with shorter leads. The ones used in the clock were a special make with long leads. I don't rememer the part number off-hand, but as of 2005 they were still available. Unknown now.

Honestly, just get Ingo's board, and be done with it. It's the cost of a freakin' mod - just put one mod off for a few months.

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Original optos aren't available anymore. You have some options -
(1) Find another original board that has at least one working opto, and desolder it from one board, and soldering it onto your board, or
(2) Get the same opto but with shorter legs (*) and solder extensions onto it, and solder it onto your board.
(3) Just bite the bullet and get Ingo's board. You won't be dissatisfied.
(*) - Back in the day, the optos were still available, just with shorter leads. The ones used in the clock were a special make with long leads. I don't rememer the part number off-hand, but as of 2005 they were still available. Unknown now.
Honestly, just get Ingo's board, and be done with it. It's the cost of a freakin' mod - just put one mod off for a few months.

Just got the machine, not doing any mods at this point, just trying to get it 100% working.

Long lead aftermarket part is available. $5 fix.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5490-13451-00

I am sure I will consider a long term fix down the road, but when you just drop 6k for a machine, you don’t necessarily want to add more expense right away.

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Just got the machine, not doing any mods at this point, just trying to get it 100% working.
Long lead aftermarket part is available. $5 fix.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5490-13451-00
I am sure I will consider a long term fix down the road, but when you just drop 6k for a machine, you don’t necessarily want to add more expense right away.

You can get the generic "clock is broken" for a whole slew of things (the majority of which the ingo board fixes) I see your logic of why not just spend $5 now and kick the can down the road, but once you start putting serious hours in to clock issues, you will want the ingo board.

5 months later
#73 2 years ago

Turned on my TZ with original clock board and got the “clock broken” and the hands do not move at all either at startup or in test. Is this motor related or board related? Where do start to diagnose? Thanks.

#74 2 years ago

It’s usually easier to fix something that is completely broken than something working on and off. I would begin by checking things out in test mode. Do you have schematics for the machine? Not sure if there is an isolated fuse for the clock. Will try to look tomorrow.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Turned on my TZ with original clock board and got the “clock broken” and the hands do not move at all either at startup or in test. Is this motor related or board related? Where do start to diagnose? Thanks.

Check the wires at the molex plug on the clock itself.

I have seen 2 clocks not work just because of an internal wire break at the bend in the wires right before the plug.

Hope it's any easy fix. But that is the easiest place to start diagnostics.

#76 2 years ago

Anyone know where to find an ingo board to purchase?

Found it never mind.

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Check the wires at the molex plug on the clock itself.
I have seen 2 clocks not work just because of an internal wire break at the bend in the wires right before the plug.
Hope it's any easy fix. But that is the easiest place to start diagnostics.

I’ll give this a shot. Bought an Ingo just in case figured it’s a good upgrade. I will report back. Thank you.

3 weeks later
#78 2 years ago

It was the clock board. a bad Rottendog board. I replaced it with an Ingo Board and it works great. Then whole process of ordering and communication has been awesome from Ingo. Do not hesitate to order a new board from him.

1 week later
#79 2 years ago

I've been doing some work on TZ and have a problem with the clock. When powering on the machine I am getting the dreaded "Clock is broken". I've checked the clock in the test menu and found that one of the hour optos appears to be faulty. The clock moves forward and backward without problem and the minute optos seem to register perfectly, however the hour optos don't seem to work - well, one of them anyway. It appears always set to closed and never changes, no matter what the gear does. I took the clock apart and carefully cleaned all the optos and when I re-assembled the clock it has the exact same problem.

Is it more likely the opto has failed or is it possible there is a cabling glitch? The clock boards are more modern LED ones, not the originals, and before I go hacking the boards to attempt to remove and resolder an opto, I'd like to be sure I'm doing the right thing. Does anyone have an idea of how to verify the opto has failed before I attack it with a soldering iron?

#80 2 years ago

With the pain generally associated with the clock mechanism, I've chosen to get a more reliable set of clock boards from Ingo. From everything that I've seen and read, his boards are the most reliable and will last longest. Given the components are replaceable, it seems the best way to go rather than persevering with the boards that I've got. Looking forward to the new boards turning up so I can get the clock back together again. A big thank you to Ingo for helping here!

1 year later
#81 4 months ago

I have an ingo board in my tz for about a year now and I just got the dreaded broken clock error. The optos are not registering☹️. Same thing happened to my original board. I guess I’m taking it out to troubleshoot since reconnecting all of the plugs didn’t work ect.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside