Twilight Zone Clock Runs Continuously - HELP

By gsrogers

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

My Twilight Zone is in the Twilight Zone and started acting up. When I turn it on the clock runs backwards continuously...it will not stop. Can someone point me in the right direction to correct the problem?
Thanks

#2 2 years ago

Tests - Clock - run it. See if the optos all work.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Check the bend in the wires going to the clock boards plug. Grey wires. If you have opto switch problems. These go bad over time. With heat and vibration + how serious of a bend it it is going into the clock.
They either break internally or just pop out of the molex enough to be intermittent.
I've fixed 2 different TZs clock issues because of that stupid factory bend.
But it could be the optos themselves. Dirty, cold solder or just bad.

#4 2 years ago

Also, this is a known issue with the old clock boards with the hot incandescent lights on them. The heat tends to mess up the board. New boards have cool leds

#5 2 years ago

Also check ribbon cables in back. I've seen this issue with a loose cable particularly the very long cable.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from gsrogers:

My Twilight Zone is in the Twilight Zone and started acting up. When I turn it on the clock runs backwards continuously...it will not stop. Can someone point me in the right direction to correct the problem?
Thanks

If it starts going backwards AS SOON AS POWER IS TURNED ON and before the "TESTING...." screen is cleared, then you either have a bad transistor driver on the power driver board OR the transistor driver on the motor driver board is bad.

If it doesn't start going backwards until AFTER the "TESTING..." screen, then look at what others above mention - bad optos, bad cables, etc.

#8 2 years ago

The clock has been rebuilt with new board and in test mode the optics are registering. I have reseated and messed with the ribbon cable with no change. Argh

Quoted from Coyote:

If it starts going backwards AS SOON AS POWER IS TURNED ON and before the "TESTING...." screen is cleared, then you either have a bad transistor driver on the power driver board OR the transistor driver on the motor driver board is bad.
If it doesn't start going backwards until AFTER the "TESTING..." screen, then look at what others above mention - bad optos, bad cables, etc.

Coyote, you are spot on....the clock goes backwards as soon as you turn on the pin. It stops for a few seconds during the boot up sequence and restarts backwards constantly after boot up. Clock board is not original and was fully rebuilt a few years ago. I will take a look at the schematics to track down the transistors. Thanks to all....please continue with additional tips.

#9 2 years ago

I have a similar issue, my clock will start to spin continuously after the machine has been on for about an hour.

Guessing it is the incandescent heat/ board issue.

I was going to buy a clock board from the german guy, but he didn't respond.
Anybody have any recommendations about which of the other boards is the best?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

my clock will start to spin continuously after the machine has been on for about an hour.

Guessing it is the incandescent heat/ board issue.

Not likely. If optos are bad, the game will eventually give up, give you a credit dot, and flag the clock as bad. Likely, the large motor-transistor on the motor driver board is overheating, and going bad.

#11 2 years ago

I had this happen to mine a few years back and it was the motor board under the playfield that needed to be replaced.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Not likely. If optos are bad, the game will eventually give up, give you a credit dot, and flag the clock as bad. Likely, the large motor-transistor on the motor driver board is overheating, and going bad.

Thank you for the response. Much appreciated.

2 weeks later
#13 2 years ago

Ok update. The problem is on the D.C. Motor Control Assembly PCB (A-16120). I tested the game with a known working replacement one and game works great. I found an article that talked about my same problem and replacing the 4N25 optoisolator (U1) on the A-16120 board fixed the issue. I will update after replacing this chip.
Thanks, Garry

3 months later
#14 2 years ago

Any update? Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 49.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-clock-runs-continuously-help?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.