0613161821_(resized).jpg
0613161831_(resized).jpg
0613161822_(resized).jpg
0613161341a_(resized).jpg
0612162103a_(resized).jpg
0612162103_(resized).jpg
0612162047_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

A proud new TZ owner as of last Saturday. Games is great but throwing the “Clock is broken” test message upon start up. I’m assuming this is a newly upgraded board as it has LEDs? All the connectors look fine and LEDs work. Upon further investigation I have determined none of the optos are working. Any suggestions on where to start? I don’t know if this would be a fuse issue, I checked all of them and they appear fine. I used a qtip and some windex to clean the opto (tight space). I disassembled the clock and ran a switch edge test and none of them respond when slipping a credit card between them. Also, what is the function of the clock and the optos? I’m assuming is has something to do with scoring. Not sure where to start.

The clock is also very noisy when it turns on. Is this common? Should I try greasing the gears?

0612162047_(resized).jpg0612162047_(resized).jpg

0612162103_(resized).jpg0612162103_(resized).jpg

0612162103a_(resized).jpg0612162103a_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

>Games is great but throwing the “Clock is broken” test message upon start up. I’m assuming this is a newly upgraded board as it has LEDs?

Yes from your photos this is a new-style board fitted with LED's instead of bulbs.

>All the connectors look fine and LEDs work. Upon further investigation I have determined none of the optos are working. Any suggestions on where to start?

If you've just moved the game I would seriously suggest re-seating the connectors and see if that helps at all and checking the wires. Even if they are connected re-seat them just to be sure.

>I don’t know if this would be a fuse issue, I checked all of them and they appear fine. I used a qtip and some windex to clean the opto (tight space). I disassembled the clock and ran a switch edge test and none of them respond when slipping a credit card between them.

Have you actually tested the fuses with a meter? I've visually inspected fuses that look fine and then testing them with a meter they are shot, always best to do test just in case and replace any blown ones. You appear to have done the right thing to test the opto's, if none of them are responding I would imagine either like you said blown fuse somewhere or a bad connector that needs reseating and possibly replacing. Here is a link to the manual: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2684/Bally_1993_Twilight_Zone_Operations_Manual_OCR_searchable.pdf

>Also, what is the function of the clock and the optos? I’m assuming is has something to do with scoring. Not sure where to start.

The clock is the 'timer' for modes, you will see it move forward to a time and then count down back to 12 when the mode finishes, it also moves around for other things. Initially it was meant to do more but I believe they cut back on features it had due to budget. The optos tell the game where the hands are positioned, either at 12, 3, 6 or 9 as it moves them to different times for different modes. With none of the optos working the hands will never strike any positions and the game will get confused and likely make a best guess at where to move them to, also why you are getting the 'clock is broken' error. Very common on TZ.

>The clock is also very noisy when it turns on. Is this common? Should I try greasing the gears?

Debatable, I've seen people do things like apply very tiny amounts of teflon oil but the consensus mostly is don't lube or grease the gears. My TZ clock is noisy as well but it works so I've left it alone. Unless it was getting jammed or something else was going on I would not recommend it, and even then I would start by dissasembling it and looking at the gears etc.

#3 7 years ago

Duplicate please ignore.

#4 7 years ago

Do these boards go bad?

Also, the other optos in the game work, not sure if that makes a difference regarding fuse.

#5 7 years ago

The optos on this board are controlled by the 8-driver PCB in the backbox. Switch Column #9. Fuse won't break this - it will break the ENTIRE switch matrix. Check connectors, then check driver board in backbox and wiring in between.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The optos on this board are controlled by the 8-driver PCB in the backbox. Switch Column #9. Fuse won't break this - it will break the ENTIRE switch matrix. Check connectors, then check driver board in backbox and wiring in between.

Does this board control other optos or only the clock optos?

#7 7 years ago

Hopefully I wouldn't have to buy a new board, they cost $100 and look like they are sold out everywhere.

#8 7 years ago

Row #9 is ONLY clock optos, and there is no Row #10 in the game, so yeah, in theory, the driver board ONLY does these optos.

#9 7 years ago

I'll check the connections. If they all look good, basically attached, then I'm not sure if I should focus on the board in the backbox or in the clock. I'm wondering if I should just buy a rotten dogs board. Although my PinLiz board is an upgraded board, it was made long ago.

#10 7 years ago

Do not buy a rottendog clock board. Only buy ingos board if you need new one.

#11 7 years ago

There is likely nothing wrong with your clock board.

Have you checked the +12VDC regulated output of the power driver board and the status of F115? Visually inspect the connections at J116, J117, and J118 of the power driver board to be sure those connectors are intact; likewise, the connections on the aux 8-driver board mounted in the back box to the right of the DMD display board.

Are there any "mods" that draw power from the 12VDC output of the power driver board?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

There is likely nothing wrong with your clock board.
Have you checked the +12VDC regulated output of the power driver board and the status of F115?

How do I do this?

I think the only other mods are the switches on the upper field have been moved underneath it and the bubblegum LED mod. There's also an upgraded subwoofer in the cabinet and back box speakers.

#13 7 years ago

Quickest way is to remove the translite, open the insert panel, and look for LED2 on the power driver board; it's in the upper left corner of the board. Turn on the power to the game; is LED2 illuminated? Also check if the LEDs on the 8-driver board in the back box are illuminated.

#14 7 years ago

Unlikely that's it, as it would affect the entire switch matrix. But, can't hurt to check.

#15 7 years ago

Crap, I just left home. I check the 115 fuse with a multimeter. It's good. I will check for the leds when I get home. The power 8 board is in the upper right correct. Attach are pics. Maybe someone could draw an arrow where I should put multimeter. Still need to put 115 fuse back in.

0613161341a_(resized).jpg0613161341a_(resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

Ok, 8-driver board has 12v led on. Both leds working on board. Connections look good. According to the manual the Grey and white wire from j5 powers the clock optos. When I use my multimeter to check for power at the pin connector that goes into the clock board if I put the negative lead from multimeter on the black wire and positive on the gray and white I read 12volts. However, I get no voltage readings from the other wires on the connectors. Is it because these deliver volts back to somewhere else? If the clock is getting power does this mean optos are out on the board?

I think I also discovered another issue. Pin connector J121-11 is badly scorched. It is hot to the touch. It says it is for playfield right side I think. What would cause the scorch? I'm worried.

0613161822_(resized).jpg0613161822_(resized).jpg
0613161831_(resized).jpg0613161831_(resized).jpg

0613161821_(resized).jpg0613161821_(resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

LED7 (F116) is 12v unregulated voltage for opto power. You should have between 13 and 15VDC at TP1. Is F116 blown and LED7 not lit?

#18 7 years ago

J120 and J121 are outputs to GI lights in the backbox and the playfield. A burnt pin will mean a string of GI lights will be dim or completely out. You need to repin the wired connector and replace the male header pins on the driver board.

#19 7 years ago

and GI burning is a known issue ... it's one of those "when" not "if" things that you'll have to fix. But it's one of those things you only have to fix once.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

LED7 (F116) is 12v unregulated voltage for opto power. Is F116 blown and LED7 not lit?

Led7 is on. Led3 sort of strobes on and off. This one makes me nervous but could be fine? See pic. In the picture it happened to be strobing on. The cpu board has three leds. Bottom one stays lit, middle blinks, top is off. I checked my shadow and it does the same, so I think that is okay.

I am reading 12v at the clock connector. See pic. Would this mean my clock board is bad. It is a pinball lizard model.

0613162024_(resized).jpg0613162024_(resized).jpg

0613162015a_(resized).jpg0613162015a_(resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Games is great but throwing the “Clock is broken” test message upon start up. I’m assuming this is a newly upgraded board as it has LEDs? All the connectors look fine and LEDs work. Upon further investigation I have determined none of the optos are working.

Do you mean none of the optos in the game are working? Or none of the optos in the clock only are not working?

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Do you mean none of the optos in the game are working? Or none of the optos in the clock only are not working?

Just optos in clock. That is why my clock isn't working.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from _litz:

and GI burning is a known issue ... it's one of those "when" not "if" things that you'll have to fix. But it's one of those things you only have to fix once.
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems

So I have to pull the board out of back box then correct?

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Just optos in clock. That is why my clock isn't working.

Run the clock test and reporrt the findings

#25 7 years ago

I think I may have found one culprit. I checked the wires under the playfield for the clock and the gray with Yellow tracer pulled right out of the connector. Not sure what these are for. How do I get these back in.... Permanently?

#26 7 years ago

That wire fixed it!!!! Plug wires in. Clock test ran perfectly. Thanks everyone!!!

#27 7 years ago

There you go, good job.. Now take care of that GI connector.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Now take care of that GI connector.

Seriously!

But, if memory serves me, isn't that supposed to be one single piece and not two separate connectors like his picture shows? I replaced my burned J121 connector a couple years ago(because the previous op decided it'd be a good idea to solder the wires back into the connector!) and distinctly remember buying the single connector from Marco as part of a larger "bits and pieces" order.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Seriously!
But, if memory serves me, isn't that supposed to be one single piece and not two separate connectors like his picture shows? I replaced my burned J121 connector a couple years ago(because the previous op decided it'd be a good idea to solder the wires back into the connector!) and distinctly remember buying the single connector from Marco as part of a larger "bits and pieces" order.

Yeah, on both of them- the one right above it as well. Someone did some serious hacking there with those black, white and red wires. I would go real slow there, in case the previous owner left some surprises...

#30 7 years ago

It always impresses me, the creativity of some ops' hacking ability. But not in a good way.

I wonder if at some point someone took the head off(evidenced by the labeling on the connectors) and got those two harnesses caught on something, or damaged them somehow in the ordeal.

#31 7 years ago

Read the GI fix article carefully ... you want to replace the connector/pins on the *input* as well as the *output* ... on a TZ vintage game, both are liable to burning ... if they haven't yet, then it's only a question of when will they.

New square pin headers + trifurcon crimps is basically a permanent fix for a home-use environment game.

This does require you to remove the power driver board from the game. If you're not capable of doing the soldering work, then you'll need to send it off to someone like John Wart or one of the other repair guys.

The grey-yellow wire you re-inserted into the connector is the +12vdc power supply to the PCB inside the clock.

No +12 pretty much results in exactly what you saw : clock no worky

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Do not buy a rottendog clock board. Only buy ingos board if you need new one.

Yeah? And why is that? Sure, the leds suck, but I take them out and solder in super brights.
Never had a single problem with rottendog clock boards and I've probably replaced more than 20 of them.

#33 7 years ago

Thanks all. Yeah, the wiring harness for the GI has some hacks. As you stated, it should be two 11 pin connectors. I ordered them and also some 7 pin. My worry is there isn't enough wire in the loom for the ones that have been hacked and installed in the molex connector. There is no scorch on those pins and they seem to work fine.

Litz, what did you mean by the "input" and "output" connectors? I plan on replacing the male pins soldered in the board and the IDC connectors on the wires. Is that what you meant? Not sure what else there is to do?

I know we all want our games pristine, but the wire splice and molex plugs can't be the worst anyone has seen. At least it was done properly as opposed to soldering straight to a broken pin likes some of the crazy hacks you see. Would someone nit pick this if I sold it? Maybe, but once I replace the pins and connectors it should be good to go for life.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

...but once I replace the pins and connectors it should be good to go for life.

Especially in a home environment, or even taken to be played in a show for a weekend.

Unless you're an operator and plan to put it on route, you'll be just fine with what you plant to fix and replace.

#35 7 years ago

When you look at the bottom left corner of the power board, there's J120 and J121.

Just left of them are 3 4pin connectors, and a 3pin connector.

Just above that, on the left edge, is a large connector. This is the connector that the transformer secondary connects to the power board, supplying the input power into the GI circuitry (which outputs on J120/121).

It's common for all three of these connectors to burn.

As for wires that are too short, it's OK to go buy some 12 or 14ga cable at an auto parts store (they usually have good color selections) and splice some extensions in. Solder-splice the connections, and cover with heat shrink tubing for insulation.

#36 7 years ago

Input pins - from transformer.
Output pins - the ones that are burnt / cut in your pics above.

Some gamesb have no issue with input pins (mine, for example, has never had them replaced and they're like new still. But another game in one of my old arcades were fried on input pins, not output. Strange..)

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from _litz:

As for wires that are too short, it's OK to go buy some 12 or 14ga cable at an auto parts store (they usually have good color selections) and splice some extensions in. Solder-splice the connections, and cover with heat shrink tubing for insulation.

"12 or 14 ga cable" is way too big, especially if you plan on (trying to) crimp it to a Molex 08-52-0113 crimp contact which only accepts 18-20 gauge wire. Stick with (stranded) 18 gauge for the larger-sized wires and 22 gauge for the smaller-sized wires (and use the correct crimp contact for the latter).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 132.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-clock-opto-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.