(Topic ID: 335257)

Twilight Zone Clock Broken

By bintzknocker

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bintzknocker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I have a TZ with a sick clock and am looking for some help. The test report shows it as broken. In test mode it will only go forward. Switching to reverse doesn't change direction. Also, the 15 and 45 min optos don't seem to register. (Video showing the clock in test is here:

)

I've reseated the connectors on the clock board as well as the connectors on the board in the backbox with no change.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
Thanks in advance

2 weeks later
#3 11 months ago

To close the loop on this --

TLDR; - It was a ribbon cable issue.

I bought a new replacement motor board. After installing the new board, I still had the same issue. Using the fwd and back test buttons on the new board, the motor did work as expected. This told me that the issue wasn't with the motor board, but instead upstream somewhere.

Back to the manual -- Looking at the manual, the clock is driven by solenoids 42 and 43. When 42 is on, the clock runs backwards. When 43 is on, the clock runs fwd. With both on or both off, the clock stops. Since my clock always runs in test mode, that led me to believe that there was a problem with solenoid 42.

On a whim, I went into solenoid test to see if I could test those 2 individually. Indeed, I could. When I turned on 43, the clock went forward. When I turned on 42, nothing happened. At this point I was certain that either 42 wasn't working, or I had a connector issue. I started with the easiest to diagnose, a connector issue. I reversed both ends of the ribbon cable from the CPU to the 8 Driver board. (double and triple checked that I had it installed correctly). Turned the game on and the clock now works, both in game as well as in TEST.

I had reseated the cable before without any luck. I suspect that there's a failure in the ribbon cable.

Just wanted to post the solution here in case someone else has a clock issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 79.50
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 132.00
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bintzknocker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-clock-broken-1?tu=bintzknocker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.