(Topic ID: 118329)

Twilight Zone: Calling all experts! :) Production dates...

By Triumvirat73

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TZ-PF_04.jpg
TZ-PF_01.jpg
TZ-PF_03.jpg
TZ-PF_02.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hi all,

I just saw a recent FS post for a TZ listed as an early production model (manufacture date June 7, 1993). There was also references made to playfield plugs that were only used on roughly the first 3,500 units produced.

I'm just curious what the actual production date range was for all of the units, and if there are any differences in the playfields of early to late-model production TZ's. (Not the obvious differences of prototypes and sample games)

I currently have a TZ thatI am going to be cleaning up with a pretty pristine playfield and there are some conflicting dates on it that I'm hoping one of you can clear up for me. I'm also attaching pictures as reference...

There is a date of May 24, 1993 stamped in two different places on the playfield.

There is also a (faded) date that looks like June ?? 1993 stamped on the playfield.

And finally, there production sticker shows the production date as June 14, 1993.

Also, what exactly are these playfield plugs that I referred to earlier and how can I determine if I do/don't have them?

I'd just like to know, for curiosity sake, where the TZ I have falls in line with the entire production run. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Cheers,
Greg

TZ-PF_01.jpgTZ-PF_01.jpg TZ-PF_02.jpgTZ-PF_02.jpg TZ-PF_03.jpgTZ-PF_03.jpg TZ-PF_04.jpgTZ-PF_04.jpg
#3 9 years ago

Thanks Doostur. I actually did look at this page before posting.

My questions are specifically about the production units, not the prototypes/samples.

What I mean is, is there a reference for the dates of the production run games? I know my machine isn't a proto/sample, but I'm wondering how early, or late, of a production game it is.

Sorry if I was unclear on that. Thanks for the link though, it's a pretty interesting read.

Cheers,
Greg

#4 9 years ago

I'm also a little confused as to why there are conflicting dates stamped on my playfield/sticker. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on that.

#5 9 years ago

Hey - my production sticker says 11 June. I have May 14 stamped on the right near the shooter and L-S (Lenc-Smith?) and on the left under the Caution sticker I have May 27 1993 T.A.G.
I guess these dates are when the playfield was put together and the sticker shows when the machine was finished.
I have the two plugs in the pops.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

I'm also a little confused as to why there are conflicting dates stamped on my playfield/sticker. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on that.

The dates on the playfield are when the playfield was made. The date on the machine is when the machine was assembled. Obviously, playfields have to be made before the machine is assembled.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The dates on the playfield are when the playfield was made. The date on the machine is when the machine was assembled. Obviously, playfields have to be made before the machine is assembled.

Maybe I had one too many malted adult beverages last night, because this should have been obvious to even the most sedated of minds. DOH!!

Any idea what date the production machines were first assembled, and when the last machines rolled off of the line?

Cheers,
Greg (sober today, honest. *hic*)

#8 9 years ago

http://www.litz.org/

there is an old list of the production runs. maybe this can help you.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

Maybe I had one too many malted adult beverages last night, because this should have been obvious to even the most sedated of minds. DOH!!
Any idea what date the production machines were first assembled, and when the last machines rolled off of the line?
Cheers,
Greg (sober today, honest. *hic*)

I don't, though my fady/shady memory tells me 'til somewhere around September.

Needless to say, the info YOU'RE looking for is the playfield print date and maker.

It's entirely possible that some makers, like TAG who made a lot of the sample playfields, used a older art file/cut file than CCC, who may have been brought into making the playfields once the games reached production. (I remember reading somewhere - can't place it now, though - that sometimes playfield makers did their own little changes to the artwork. I specifically remember black borders around cut holes.) So it's entirely possible that TAG fields had the posts removed early in production run, while CCC had the holes there longer. Same for the green lock, etc.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Spidey171:

http://www.litz.org/
there is an old list of the production runs. maybe this can help you.

Awesome, I'll check it out. Thanks much!

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I don't, though my fady/shady memory tells me 'til somewhere around September.
Needless to say, the info YOU'RE looking for is the playfield print date and maker.
It's entirely possible that some makers, like TAG who made a lot of the sample playfields, used a older art file/cut file than CCC, who may have been brought into making the playfields once the games reached production. (I remember reading somewhere - can't place it now, though - that sometimes playfield makers did their own little changes to the artwork. I specifically remember black borders around cut holes.) So it's entirely possible that TAG fields had the posts removed early in production run, while CCC had the holes there longer. Same for the green lock, etc.

That's good stuff. I wasn't aware of those details. Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 22.50
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 14.95
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-calling-all-experts-production-dates and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.