Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2928D971-12C6-4F11-BEB6-9ED920BFBE61 (resized).jpeg
3BE6E900-15F4-4624-B46F-E1D1DCDDFD81 (resized).png
1FF86DD7-8DB0-464F-81C2-05A36935FD67 (resized).png
Screenshot_20201130-155533_Drive (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Just picked up a TZ that has been sitting Unplayed for some time. It has some issues that seem to be a bit over my head as I am a novice to repair of games from this era. When the game turns on I get a switch 45 error ( mini playfield ) , click is broken error ( aware of the common problems with these ). The issue that has me stumped is that it immediately try’s to kick a ball out into the lane repeatedly , even though I haven’t started a game yet . It will just continue to do this until I power the game off . There are also credits on the machine but hitting the start button does nothing . Gumball machine is also empty . What could be causing this ? Any advice is greatly appreciated . Most of my repair experience is in EMs.

#2 3 years ago

Twilight zone wants to stage three balls in the gumball machine. The trough has four switches. Since there are typically three balls in the trough, that fourth switch should not be closed. As long as that fourth switch is closed, presumably by virtue of a ball being there, then the game will continue to attempt to stage balls in the gumball machine.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from EMpins16:

Just picked up a TZ that has been sitting Unplayed for some time. It has some issues that seem to be a bit over my head as I am a novice to repair of games from this era. When the game turns on I get a switch 45 error ( mini playfield ) , click is broken error ( aware of the common problems with these ). The issue that has me stumped is that it immediately try’s to kick a ball out into the lane repeatedly , even though I haven’t started a game yet . It will just continue to do this until I power the game off . There are also credits on the machine but hitting the start button does nothing . Gumball machine is also empty . What could be causing this ? Any advice is greatly appreciated . Most of my repair experience is in EMs.

Sounds like:
You either have more than three balls in the trough and outhole (or, less or equal to three, and stuck switches!), AND,
your ball gate is not working, which is therefore kicking the ball into the shooter (assuming that is what you mean by 'into the lane').

The "Test Gumball" test is inherently useful here, and I recommend running it and taking a look at all your switches.

As ChrisHibler says, the game will only allow three balls in the trough at a time, so if a switch is stuck - or there are more balls than three, it will try to load the gumball. (And yes, by factory, the software assumes there is three balls in the gumball machine. The software will also assume that if a 4th ball appears in the trough, it needs to be loaded into the gumball machine.)

As this happens, you are also correct - you will not be able to start a game until the software is happy at the state of the balls.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Sounds like:
You either have more than three balls in the trough and outhole (or, less or equal to three, and stuck switches!), AND,
your ball gate is not working, which is therefore kicking the ball into the shooter (assuming that is what you mean by 'into the lane').
The "Test Gumball" test is inherently useful here, and I recommend running it and taking a look at all your switches.
As chrishibler says, the game will only allow three balls in the trough at a time, so if a switch is stuck - or there are more balls than three, it will try to load the gumball. (And yes, by factory, the software assumes there is three balls in the gumball machine. The software will also assume that if a 4th ball appears in the trough, it needs to be loaded into the gumball machine.)
As this happens, you are also correct - you will not be able to start a game until the software is happy at the state of the balls.

Great info ! Thanks . There is absolutely more than 3 balls in the trough . The arm that kicks the ball into the shooter lane keeps firing , but it almost seems like it isn’t strong enough to get the ball out so it just stays stuck in the the trough. The gate also sounds like it’s being energized but it’s barely moving.

So stupid question . Should I remove 3 balls and put them somewhere else . Or is the firing I’m hearing the machines way of getting the other 3 balls where they are supposed to be ( albeit not working ) thanks again to both of you.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from EMpins16:

Should I remove 3 balls

I'd take one out at a time and see if you have the correct number then.

Or empty the gumball machine. Remove all the balls. Put the correct number back in the game and let it load the gumball machine. You should have 6 balls total. 5 steel and one ceramic powerball.

LTG : )

#6 3 years ago

Does the mechanism that serves a ball to the shooter lane work normally?
Sometimes, the pivot point of that mechanism becomes gummed up with congealed lubrication.
Disassemble and clean. Just a drop of teflon lube on that pivot point is all that is needed.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#7 3 years ago

I had the exact same problem with the ball kicking out I put a new set of trough opto boards. Completely fixed the problem. I'm sure you could repair these boards but easier for me to replace . other Parts on them are ready to fail..just replace for about $40

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from mtbpinball:

I had the exact same problem with the ball kicking out I put a new set of trough opto boards. Completely fixed the problem. I'm sure you could repair these boards but easier for me to replace . other Parts on them are ready to fail..just replace for about $40

TZ trough has microswitches. No opto boards there.

Screenshot_20201130-155533_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201130-155533_Drive (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago

Quoted from Davi:

TZ trough has microswitches. No opto boards there.[quoted image]

My mistake! I replaced them for an Indiana Jones and the theater of magic that had the same problem didn't realize TZ didn't have those boards in.
so much for me giving advice!

#10 3 years ago

So update on this . I removed three balls . When I turn the game on now it will at least start a game , music on etc . But it still repeatedly tries to kick a ball into the lane but doesn’t seem to have the power to do it . Then the game just goes into a continuous ball search .

When I tried the gumball test it just says loading and tries to get a ball out of the trough ( that is with all 6 balls in trough )

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Does the mechanism that serves a ball to the shooter lane work normally?
Sometimes, the pivot point of that mechanism becomes gummed up with congealed lubrication.
Disassemble and clean. Just a drop of teflon lube on that pivot point is all that is needed.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Thanks for the heads up Chris , trying this now

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from EMpins16:

But it still repeatedly tries to kick a ball into the lane but doesn’t seem to have the power to do it .

Besides Chris' advice. Check that the arm that kicks the ball to see if it's bent and not hitting the ball good.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from mtbpinball:

so much for me giving advice!

Keep the help coming. The more the merrier. We all make mistakes. Someone will correct it if need be.

Too much help is better than none.

Disclaimer : You aren't the first person to make optos in the TZ ball trough a thought. And you won't be the last.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Besides Chris' advice. Check that the arm that kicks the ball to see if it's bent and not hitting the ball good.

Thanks LTG ! All the help is much appreciated

#15 3 years ago

Yeah, as others mentioned, it soudn like your ball eject arm is gummed up, not moving freely.

But ALSO, your autolauncher gate likely needs cleaning adjustment, bcause it SHOULD have been opening when it was trying to load the gumball machine. However - one issue at a time.

#16 3 years ago

Check the rollover in the trough. I had a similar problem that happened 50% of the time until I figured it was the rollover wire that wasnt sitting straight in the slot. It would spring back up and the end of the wire would sit on top of the playfield and BLOCK the ball from pushing it down. Therefore the ball would constantly be bouncing back. If this your problem a slight bending of the wire will get it back in place correctly. I hope my crude drawings help show what I’m talking about. PF means playfield on the side view drawings. The last pic shows the wire actually sitting on the playfield when I discovered my problem. It should be adjusted left to stay in the slot to it’s left.

1FF86DD7-8DB0-464F-81C2-05A36935FD67 (resized).png1FF86DD7-8DB0-464F-81C2-05A36935FD67 (resized).png3BE6E900-15F4-4624-B46F-E1D1DCDDFD81 (resized).png3BE6E900-15F4-4624-B46F-E1D1DCDDFD81 (resized).png

2928D971-12C6-4F11-BEB6-9ED920BFBE61 (resized).jpeg2928D971-12C6-4F11-BEB6-9ED920BFBE61 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-ball-trough-issue- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.