Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Miguel351
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced an issue with a ball being in play but the game thinking the ball drains? You can continue playing but lose a ball turn because the Phantom drain registered. I have noticed this a couple random times. I specifically remember one time happening after auto launch when I got to shoot again after a quick drain. It also seems to happen within the first couple games of play. One other time the ball drop crane on the upper ramp that drops the ball onto the playfield near the upper flipper kept engaging until I turned off the machine. After restart no issue. Related? I have read about trough issues with these six ball games. Wondering if mine is a problem that will progress. Where do I look?

#2 7 years ago

I think maybe you answered your own question. Sounds like a ball trough issue. Check the connections to it. Could be failing optos.

#3 7 years ago

There aren't any optos in the trough of a TZ.

After the "phantom drain", are you hearing the solenoid fire(the one that kicks the ball over into the trough)? If so, you'll need to check that main outhole switch. It may need adjustment, or a wire may have popped off and is touching the other one, thus triggering the "phantom drain".

As for the ramp diverter(the ball drop crane, as you called it), it is programmed to activate a few times until another switch/target is hit in the game. Start a game with the glass off and run a ball up there. As soon as the diverter fires, hit one of the 5Million targets. If it keeps going, you've got an actual problem, most likely with the opto on that ramp(at the end of the turn around). If it stops activating after you hit a target, everything is operating correctly.

Report back with your findings!

#4 7 years ago

I don't remember if a solenoid fires after phantom drain. I'll have to try to recreate but it doesn't do it often.

I'll report back later tonight. The diverter normally works fine. Just had that one issue were it repeated constantly during game play. I am sure I hit targets as I kept playing for about 20 seconds

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

There aren't any optos in the trough of a TZ.

Ugh, you're right, was thinking it was the same as IJ. Should have checked my game first.

#6 7 years ago

I had a short in a switch on the grey blue/black line before that was causing the game to drain randomly. You may have a similar situation. Also TZ gets confused if the magnetic sensors aren't working properly sometimes.

#7 7 years ago

There is a proximity switch in there. I just fixed mine for strange behaviour as you described but my powerball wasn't registering and making it to the power field and other glitches.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

There is a proximity switch in there. I just fixed mine for strange behaviour as you described but my powerball wasn't registering and making it to the power field and other glitches.

What switch was it?

#9 7 years ago

Well, I played around with it a bit tonight. Diverter issue never came up. I had the drain issue once when the machine couldn't kick a ball out into the shooter Lane. That rarely ever happens. I know there are lubrication points on some games for the trough kickout mechanism. Not sure where though. Manual is difficult to understand. Maybe that is an issue? Overall it played well. Every once and a while an eos switch will fail in the switch edge test. If I pinch a piece of sand paper between the contact points that often works by cleaning the contacts. I should probably replace them to be safe. I guess I'll post in this thread in the future if the drain issue reoccurs. Does anyone know if the led should lit on the circuit board connected to the ramp under the play field right in the center? I'm assuming this is to detect the powerball. My powerball always gets detected, just strange that led isn't on.

#10 7 years ago

After turning it on, put it in switch test mode and leave it for a hour and listen for any beeps, or bang on the playfield. If you hear a beep check what it says for the last switch pressed on the display.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

After turning it on, put it in switch test mode and leave it for a hour and listen for any beeps, or bang on the playfield. If you hear a beep check what it says for the last switch pressed on the display.

? leave it for an hour ?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

? leave it for an hour ?

Yes, just let it sit in switch test mode. You should not hear any beeps while in switch mode. If you do, something like an opto is flakey.

#13 7 years ago

Again, there are no optos in the trough of a TZ. There are no optos in TZ that would give a signal to the computer for a drained ball. They are all lever switches. All the optos in TZ are used for the loops, the right ramp, the mini playfield, the VUK, the gumball machine, and the clock.

While I agree with letting it just sit there in switch test mode to look for flaky switches(and nudging does help reveal them sometimes, too), I don't think there's any need to just let it sit for an hour before diving in. Because the switch that is possibly flaky is a mechanical switch, it'll be flaky from the get-go. When you start the switch test, take note of the switches that show closed on the screen and compare that to the switch matrix in the manual. That'll allow you to take an inventory of switches that are doing what they're supposed to right out of the gate.

If you do run these tests and nothing has changed, I'd pull the apron off and physically manipulate the switches by hand, instead of just using the balls, to check their activation points or to see if something is holding one of the switch arms down and not allowing it to reset back to its open state. Also, it might be a good idea to "play" a game with it with the apron off to watch at what is happening under the apron when it does the phantom drain. That way, if the outhole switch is the culprit, you'll physically see the kicker arm fire. It is fairly important while "playing" a game with the apron off to be very careful and be ready to catch the ball if it goes towards on of the outlanes.

Double check that the outhole kicker arm is not interfering with the outhole switch, too.

If that doesn't show you any new or useful information, it's time to prop the playfield up and start tracing down wires, looking for loose wires or shorts in the daisy chain.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.95
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-ball-drain-issue?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.