Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by GoldenBear
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Had.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 11 years ago

I was hoping to open this up again as there seems to be no resolution and I am having almost the exact same problem.

After refitting all the ribbons/cables and making sure all the chips are firmly inserted the problem seemed to be fixed. A few days laters after a few minutes of play the sound dropped out again.

I have read elsewhere that it might be a heatsink/thermal paste issue because the sound works fine and then cuts out after some time (heat build up most likely). Any ideas?

Quoted from Sjohnson20:

Hi,

I bought a Twilight Zone recently and I'm having problems with the sound. When I first turn the machine on, all the sounds work. But after I start the game, the sound will drop out completely. Sometimes quickly, and sometimes slowly. After looking on google for similar problems, I ordered a LM1875. I put the new one in the board. After that, the sound was working fine for about a week. Then the same problem happened again. Maybe it's intermittent and after replacing the lm1875 it was just a coincidence that it started working?

I also noticed, the higher the volume, the quicker it shuts off the sound. So I thought the LM1875 was overheating. I felt the heat sink and it seemed pretty hot.

But I have also noticed that the attract sounds and music don't work even though its set to on in the options. So something is also wrong there. Also the sound effects and voice gets crackly even when the sound is working.

I could send the board off for repair, but before I do I was hoping someone had an idea of the problem and if its something I can do myself. I was thinking of replacing the capacitors at C24 and C25 to see if that fixes it.

Thank you

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I had this problem on a getaway and so far I have replaced the LM1875 and the two capacitors at C24 and C25 and the problem is not solved. I was going to consider replacing the predrivers and the smaller capacitors next but don't have any sitting here.

I was considering doing all those replacements but haven't read that they are the definite fix.

What about the audio boards contact with the heatsink?
Do you think this is a non issue?

1 week later
#15 11 years ago

Ok so a I have tried to tinker with a few things again with no success and again today the sound went really quiet and started to cut in and out and then cut out completely. So I reset my machine to see if it was a heat build up issue and i discovered that it probably isn't because the sound worked with no sign of any problems for the next hour.

I have no idea how it can be so broken one second and then a reset later and it works perfectly.

Any ideas with this new information?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.95
$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Had.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-audio-problem?tu=Had and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.