• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by GoldenBear
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Hi,

I bought a Twilight Zone recently and I'm having problems with the sound. When I first turn the machine on, all the sounds work. But after I start the game, the sound will drop out completely. Sometimes quickly, and sometimes slowly. After looking on google for similar problems, I ordered a LM1875. I put the new one in the board. After that, the sound was working fine for about a week. Then the same problem happened again. Maybe it's intermittent and after replacing the lm1875 it was just a coincidence that it started working?

I also noticed, the higher the volume, the quicker it shuts off the sound. So I thought the LM1875 was overheating. I felt the heat sink and it seemed pretty hot.

But I have also noticed that the attract sounds and music don't work even though its set to on in the options. So something is also wrong there. Also the sound effects and voice gets crackly even when the sound is working.

I could send the board off for repair, but before I do I was hoping someone had an idea of the problem and if its something I can do myself. I was thinking of replacing the capacitors at C24 and C25 to see if that fixes it.

Thank you

#2 12 years ago
Quoted from Sjohnson20:

I was thinking of replacing the capacitors at C24 and C25 to see if that fixes it.
Thank you

Yep, that's what I'd do. I'm no expert, but it sounds like the caps are failing.

#3 12 years ago

Wheres a good place to get those two capacitors? Can I just go to the local parts store and buy them?

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from Sjohnson20:

Wheres a good place to get those two capacitors? Can I just go to the local parts store and buy them?

I don't think so. There are a couple of pin places you can try on-line, such as:

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/
http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/

and I'm guessing Marco sells them. But, I generally pick that stuff up from:

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/

Aaron

Edit: And if they don't have exactly what you need, email them. I do that with Bob and he's pretty good about pointing out substitutes for those like me who know how to replace, but don't really understand all the ratings.

#5 12 years ago

Don't forget to try the easy stuff first. On my TZ the game would startup with really strange sounds and no background music. After a couple games the music would pop in. I tried pulling and reseating the ribbon cable from the cpu to fliptronics to adio but no help. Researching the RGP archives told me it had to be a data bus problem so it just has to be the cables or header pins. So I pulled the cable again and used my bech vise to crimp the IDC connectors tighter. It worked! No sound problems since.

It may or may not solve your problem but it's certainly easy to try and see Best of luck!

#6 12 years ago

So now the sound is completely gone. I didn't switch the capacitors yet. I was just playing a game with the sound problems and the sound stopped and it won't come back even after a reset

I had turned the volume up louder than normal. What else could I check? I tried the speaker connections but they seem okay.

#7 12 years ago

Ohm the speakers and make sure they are the correct resistance. The speakers do short out from time to time. Also, verify they are wired correctly. Some games run them in series, some run them in parallel, some run the speaker panel speakers in circuit with the cabinet speaker. If they are aftermarket speakers, there's a chance they were wired up wrong.

#8 12 years ago

Check speakers, change the ribbon cables (there old, probably needs it anyways), and reseat all the roms. I know, sounds like BS but believe it or not, fixed an intermittent sound issue for me once. And I had actually sent the board out for repair and still had the same problems when it returned, but re-seating the roms worked. The difference in mine was that I had to wait to get sound and sometimes it wouldnt come on at all. Check solder joints on header pins and sockets as well. Could be a cold solder joint. Do you get the "Bong" at start up?

#9 12 years ago

Did you change the capacitors yet? I would start there. Just had this issue with my Judge Dredd.

6 months later
#10 11 years ago

I was hoping to open this up again as there seems to be no resolution and I am having almost the exact same problem.

After refitting all the ribbons/cables and making sure all the chips are firmly inserted the problem seemed to be fixed. A few days laters after a few minutes of play the sound dropped out again.

I have read elsewhere that it might be a heatsink/thermal paste issue because the sound works fine and then cuts out after some time (heat build up most likely). Any ideas?

Quoted from Sjohnson20:

Hi,

I bought a Twilight Zone recently and I'm having problems with the sound. When I first turn the machine on, all the sounds work. But after I start the game, the sound will drop out completely. Sometimes quickly, and sometimes slowly. After looking on google for similar problems, I ordered a LM1875. I put the new one in the board. After that, the sound was working fine for about a week. Then the same problem happened again. Maybe it's intermittent and after replacing the lm1875 it was just a coincidence that it started working?

I also noticed, the higher the volume, the quicker it shuts off the sound. So I thought the LM1875 was overheating. I felt the heat sink and it seemed pretty hot.

But I have also noticed that the attract sounds and music don't work even though its set to on in the options. So something is also wrong there. Also the sound effects and voice gets crackly even when the sound is working.

I could send the board off for repair, but before I do I was hoping someone had an idea of the problem and if its something I can do myself. I was thinking of replacing the capacitors at C24 and C25 to see if that fixes it.

Thank you

#11 11 years ago

I had this problem on a getaway and so far I have replaced the LM1875 and the two capacitors at C24 and C25 and the problem is not solved. I was going to consider replacing the predrivers and the smaller capacitors next but don't have any sitting here.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I had this problem on a getaway and so far I have replaced the LM1875 and the two capacitors at C24 and C25 and the problem is not solved. I was going to consider replacing the predrivers and the smaller capacitors next but don't have any sitting here.

I was considering doing all those replacements but haven't read that they are the definite fix.

What about the audio boards contact with the heatsink?
Do you think this is a non issue?

#13 11 years ago

Ok, step back for a sec and look at what you told us. If you have reseated the ribbon cable and the roms, and things became better for a while, it sounds like there is something going on there. I have seen ribbon issues on displays for example where the when I finally play around the with cable, bending it to a certain point, and the display finally stays good (much like working an old antenna on a TV), and then vibration from a coil knocks it off again.

If I were you, I would replace the ribbon cable, and order new sockets for the sound roms and swap those out.

#14 11 years ago

Also don't forget the power board....I had sound problems on a wpc 95 game where sound would cut in and out and I traced it to the 5 volt circuit if my memory serves me right. Make sure your 5 volt test point has at least 5.1 volts

1 week later
#15 11 years ago

Ok so a I have tried to tinker with a few things again with no success and again today the sound went really quiet and started to cut in and out and then cut out completely. So I reset my machine to see if it was a heat build up issue and i discovered that it probably isn't because the sound worked with no sign of any problems for the next hour.

I have no idea how it can be so broken one second and then a reset later and it works perfectly.

Any ideas with this new information?

#16 11 years ago

Let's try another angle. Do you have or have access to another sound or power driver board from another machine? If so first isolate the problem board by swapping out one of the boards and see if problem goes away. At least you would know which board is your problem

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 79.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 1,059.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 22.50
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 132.00
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-audio-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.