Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

26102009(008).jpg
26102009(004).jpg
TZ_post_holes.JPG
15_G_sized.jpg
img_4410.jpg
#1 13 years ago

I have a Twilight zone game and it looks like the bumper holes by the jet bumpers have been plugged. When I look on the IPDS for TWZ I see some play fields with the bumper holes filled and some without. Does anyone know what is the "true" correct layout.

#2 13 years ago

This is what I've read about those sets of bumper holes, courtesy of a 1996 post by a Jonathan Deitrich (hope I got his name right) on the RGP forum archives:

"The rubber band in question was between the lower and the left pop
bumper, preventing the bumpers from squirting balls down the left
outlane.

Unfortunately, it also tended to allow balls exitting the powerfield to
bounce right off its surface and down the drain ...

Williams removed it a short bit into TZ's regular production run and later
games don't even have the holes in the playfield the mounting posts went in.

They *did* thoughtfully provide little plastic plugs for people who removed
the posts from their games to cover the holes left behind ..."

I've got a later run TZ without those post holes, while a friend of mine has the posts and the rubbers there. I prefer those posts and the associated rubbers not to be there as I like to have the ball go through the "Lite Right Spiral Lane". With the rubbers there, the ball will hardly ever do that.

Jeff R.

#3 13 years ago

JD,

I was just about to ask that very same question! I just bought a TZ on the weekend and it had those same two plastic plugs. I was thinking what kind of "hack" did someone do here?! Until I lifted the playfield and noticed the very neatly drilled recesses for them both, and figured that no regular "hacker" would do this job so neatly. Also the bricks artwork seems to be painted around the holes. I was still baffled though, and like you I scoured the net until I noticed another TZ playfield with the same two plugs. Now thanks to Rum-Z I know what they are for!

Pete

#4 13 years ago

That's whats so great about this forum, you learn something new every day.

#5 13 years ago

Being an early sample, mine has the holes, but it doesn't have the plugs. I never even knew the plugs existed. To be honest, I'm not sure I see a purpose for them. It's not like the game looks bad with the holes. I would think it would look worse with the plugs, and the holes don't appear to affect gameplay in any noticeable way. Can someone please post a picture of the game with the plugs in place? I'm really curious to see what they look like.

#6 13 years ago

gweempose,

I don't have my TZ at home yet, so I can't post pics, but essentially they are pretty low profile white plastic smooth buttons. Kind of like a side rail nail, but bigger and made of plastic.

They don't look fantastic, but I think the purpose was to protect the edges of the holes from wear due to the pop bumper action. Have yours held up ok? I would think the holes would look fine on their own providing the artwork stays intact.

#7 13 years ago

found a pic showing the two plugs.

img_4410.jpgimg_4410.jpg

#8 13 years ago

I got one with the plugs...I thought some hack put posts in and then another hack plugged them up.....WOW what a relief.

BUT the ball will on rare occasions get hung up on the plug and bumper when it lands very softly. A little nudge sends it on its way.

I was gonna remove the plugs and fill the holes....Now I'm gonna leave them.

#9 13 years ago

Found this pic from High End Pins site. It shows the posts and rubber ring installed! Interesting game this Twilight Zone!!

15_G_sized.jpg15_G_sized.jpg

#10 13 years ago

Usually white clock face from what I have seen also has the posts with the rubbers.
maybe they changed them out at the same time.

#11 13 years ago

Usually white clock face from what I have seen also has the posts with the rubbers. Maybe they changed them out at the same time.

As far as I know, the only games that came with the white clock face are the prototypes and early samples. Once they started the regular run, they changed to the colored clock face and made some other slight modifications such as the removal of the posts in the pop bumpers.

#12 13 years ago

Here is a picture of the post holes on my machines. I never noticed before, but they appear to have small mylar rings around them. I don't know if this was installed at the factory or if someone added it later on. Either way, it seems to be doing the trick, since my holes show virtually no wear after 18 years. After seeing the photo with the plastic plugs installed, I definitely prefer the way it is on my machine.

TZ_post_holes.JPGTZ_post_holes.JPG

#13 13 years ago

looks good, hardly noticable. Is the mylar over the holes? I may just fill mine in and touch-up the artwork, but we'll see.

#14 13 years ago

Is the mylar over the holes?

No. The holes are open.

#15 13 years ago

Here is mine, i have the early machine and my posts are still in, i am used to playing it like this.

26102009(004).jpg26102009(004).jpg 26102009(008).jpg26102009(008).jpg

#16 13 years ago

I agree with Rum-Z. I think the game plays better, albeit harder, with the posts removed. It really adds an extra element of strategy. For example, you may want to purposely avoid the skill shot in order to prevent the ball from going into the pop bumpers where it can easily drain down the left side. If you happen to have "extra ball" lit in the left outlane, however, then you can go for the skill shot or hitchhiker shot with little risk. It just gives you more to think about, and that aspect of the game is what makes TZ so great.

#17 13 years ago

Lets not even get into the correct order of the pop bumper colors...

#18 13 years ago

Hey Leigh, I remember that TZ! Yours is in beautiful condition! I just bought one last weekend! You inspired me to get one asap! Thanks! Maybe those posts are what made me play so badly that night?!.........nah, I just sucked! LOL!

Pete

#19 13 years ago

Hi Pete, well done on your purchase, make sure you post some pics when you get it.

11 years later
#20 1 year ago

How do you light that left outlane extra ball light? Same as the Lock/extra ball?

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

How do you light that left outlane extra ball light? Same as the Lock/extra ball?

Camera award

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 14.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 132.00
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-an-bumpers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.