IMG_9782 (resized).JPG
WHD Flasher tablr (resized).JPG
Who-Dunnit (resized).JPG
IMG_9477 (resized).JPG
IMG_9478 (resized).JPG
TZ Lamp matrix (resized).JPG
TZLampTestResults_3-22 (resized).JPG
TZLampTestResults (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

• Left Ramp Switch (54) will not ‘close’
This issue appeared about the same time as when the Upper Right Ramp Flasher (41) appeared ‘locked on’, and I know it was working until then. Interesting to me, as they are located in approximately the same area. Coincidence?
Turning on the game, I receive the heavenly error “Ding Ding” Test Report display, which reads “Check Switch 54 Left Ramp”. Navigating the Test Menu to the Single Switch mode, I test switch 54 (WHT-YEL GRN-BLK), located in the back right corner of the PF on the Left Ramp, and when manually/physically closing the switch, the test remains ‘open’ and will not ‘close’ when activated by ball or finger.
I looked at the solder points where the wires connect to the switch, appear connected. I lifter the PF and reconnected the molex connectors and did a visual check on the wires, seemed okay. I did not see any blown fuse.
Where/what else to investigate? Do I need to replace the physical switch mechanism? Try resoldering the connection points?

Check the switch itself with a multimeter. Verify it 'closes the circuit. If it does, then check continuity in wires to the next/previous row and column switches. If it does not, get a new switch.

Quoted from DruTheFu:

• Lamps lighting when they should not be
As a note, with a previous owner, this TZ was upgraded with LEDs on the PF, flashers, and backbox.
I noticed that during gameplay, the little yellow light next to the slot machine (lamp 85) would flicker, and turn off/on randomly. Same type of behavior with the red lamp on the Right Lane Gumball sign (lamp 86). I reseated the LED lamp bulbs, lifter the PF, checked connection, and could not see anything obvious. So I thought I’d map out the lamp matrix and see which lamp(s) come on when, and seek advice on how to proceed.
When performing the T.8 ‘Single Lamp’ test, I noticed that when going through each individual lamp to test (there’s a lot), that some specific lamps would light up when it was NOT their turn and they were not supposed to light. I found it interesting that lamp 85 seemed to be almost always lit, and some of the patterns of which lamps are lit when some other lamp is selected. What does this mean? Why does lamp 55 light up when other lamps in the 50’s are selected? Why does lamp 62 light up when some lamps in the 60’s are selected? And why, when any of the lamps in the 80’s are selected, that only that specific lamp lights up but nothing else (which is the expected behavior)?
My findings are attached below as a JPEG picture. I used the original lamp matrix table as a template. It can be assumed that when the specific lamp was selected, it would light up, and holds true for all. The additional lamps that would light when not selected are notated in bold at the bottom of the cell. RR stands for the Robby the Robot mod installed over the Left Ramp entrance.

Could just be ghosting LEDs,, hard to tell without a video. Put incandescents in there. If you still have problems, then follow the PinWiki on locating a bad diode in the affected lamps. If putting incandescents in fixes the issue, then either get an LEDOCD board (Recommended!) or get non-ghosting LEDs.

Quoted from DruTheFu:

• Lower Right Flipper Coil ‘hold’ failing
One of the things the previous owner confirmed were the fairly new lower flippers. Figuring I’m running through test menus, why not test the flippers.
When in test menu T.12 “Flipper Coil”, the Lower Right Flipper displays the expected flip action on Test 01, but when performing the ‘Hold” test 02, it displays a very weak pulse. Comparing the expected action with that of the Lower Left Flipper, I sense that there is some type of underlying issue. During gameplay, I really don’t notice an issue as I am able to cradle hold the ball on the Lower Right Flipper, but during the test, the “Hold” test causes a very slight pulse, and does not move the flipper into the “hold the ball in cradle” position.
Any suggestions on what to check for and look into for diagnosing?

This is normal, and expected. Nothing wrong here. Hold is just that, it HOLDS the flipper up. It may or may not be strong enought to RAISE the flipper.

1 month later
#25 6 years ago

Does your slot machine bulb have a LED or Incandescent bulb in it? If LED, try a bulb. Or a different LED.

#29 6 years ago

Quick question -
This ONLY happens with Column 8? Yellow-Grey?
When one light is on - say, the 'Clock Millions', what other one is also on?

Try disconnecting (just pull the plug. No need to pull wires from plugs..!) the coin door interface board and see what happens.

#31 6 years ago

Okay, after looking at the manual - don't unplug the coin door interface board, but on the power driver board, disconnect J135 (Row 7/8 to Cabinet) and J136 (Col 8 to Cabinet).

This test is also just removing cabinet wiring from the equation, so that we can say that it's definitely on the power board or the playfield.

1 month later
#34 6 years ago

Huh, I missed this reply a month ago, sorry. I agree with Peak-Pin . The two cabinet lights are unrelated, and I would actually leave the cabinet lights disconnected while trying to figure out the other issues - this will help minimize ghost and phantom issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1,059.00
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 132.00
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 12.95
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-a-variety-of-troubleshooting?tu=Coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.