Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 21 days ago

Has anyone ever encountered a smell like that coming from the cabinet, when the machine is on? Is there an electrical component going bad that would smell like a dead animal?

#2 21 days ago

Holy Moses. Are you certain there is not actually something dead in there? Even if a small mouse bit the dust in you game, it could make a horrendous stench. I’ve never heard of a pin making such a smell. I would be very interested to hear if there is some reason it would.

#3 21 days ago
Quoted from jackd104:

very interested to hear if there is some reason it would.

Dead Rat Mod?

#4 21 days ago

It only smells when the machine is on for a while,,,, that's the strange part. I'm going to try to see (smell) where in the cabinet or playfield it's coming from.

#5 21 days ago

That's normal they all smell like that...

#6 21 days ago

Long ago we picked up a Dr Who that was a great deal but sadly its entire life was apparently in the back room of a EU saloon. You would think it was in a humidor as the wood was smoked clean through. No matter what I tried to fumigate if you left it on it would start to come to life (or death) smell. Sadly had to part ways with it no amount of stick ups would clear it. Hope you find your fix.

#7 21 days ago
Quoted from apc7654:

Has anyone ever encountered a smell like that coming from the cabinet, when the machine is on? Is there an electrical component going bad that would smell like a dead animal?

Clearly, your "Twighlight" game has an uninvited "gh" in it. . .I'm guessing that it's a ghost.

#8 21 days ago

I would check the gi molex connectors. See if they are hot or burning up. Ive seen it before where youll get a rotten egg smell sometimes if these are on their way out.

#9 20 days ago

It's the transformer about to go bad.

#10 18 days ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

It's the transformer about to go bad.

After smelling around, I think you may be correct. The machine isn't on or used very much, so I've decided to prop up the playfield, turn it on for a day, and see if the smell will burn its way off.

With the hundreds of thousands of machines out there, I wonder why we have never heard or anyone complain about the smell of a transformer going bad. It seems that a replacement transformer is hard to come by, and if so, it's about $300. Until it totally craps out, I can't see replacing it at this time.

#11 18 days ago

Do you have another xformer that you can swap out just to make sure?

#12 17 days ago

You will see a final wisp of terrible smelling smoke, then the transformer will be dead. I had an Apollo 13 that did same thing.
Transformers don't go bad often, but when they do, they are done.
I would not leave it powered up when u aren't there

#13 17 days ago
Quoted from apc7654:

After smelling around, I think you may be correct. The machine isn't on or used very much, so I've decided to prop up the playfield, turn it on for a day, and see if the smell will burn its way off.
With the hundreds of thousands of machines out there, I wonder why we have never heard or anyone complain about the smell of a transformer going bad. It seems that a replacement transformer is hard to come by, and if so, it's about $300. Until it totally craps out, I can't see replacing it at this time.

Oh wow, I have not seen it described as “dead rat smell” in my opinion when transformers go bad, they smell like rotting oysters. Nearly ruined seafood for me once.
Back when I was learning the trade, the rare occurrence would happen where a compressor died. When you cut into the system to replace it the stench was HORRENDOUS. I can safely tell you what causes it because I dissected the compressors (since I was allowed to and encouraged as a learning tool) the shellac coatings on the wire windings will melt down and it’s basically boiling/burning shellac that smells like walking death. Using it sparingly, I think you can probably squeeze quite a bit out of that transformer. But your ability to handle the smell will really be what determines the life of this one!

#14 17 days ago
Quoted from apc7654:

I believe there is a company making/working on transformers for WPC games

#15 17 days ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Oh wow, I have not seen it described as “dead rat smell” in my opinion when transformers go bad, they smell like rotting oysters.

I don't know exactly what rotting oysters smell like, but maybe I should have described it as "foul" smell as opposed to a "dead rat". It is definitely not an electrical smell.

I left the it turned on for eight hours yesterday, and the machine did not have the foul smell when I turned it off. Turned it on today, again had the smell, but not as bad. I'm going to leave it on for several days. The transformer feels warm to the touch, but is not hot.

#16 16 days ago

Can't put my fingher on it; but, something about this thread makes me want to crigh.

#17 16 days ago

I love the smell of dead rat in the morning!

#18 16 days ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I love the smell of dead rat in the morning!

It smells like ... victory

1 week later
#19 9 days ago

Hmmm. Nobody wants to have fun with the extra "gh" in "Twighlight" in the thread's title. This is the first time in 8 years that I've seen Pinside refrain from such an obvious jesting opportunity.

The "please delete thread" attracts hundreds of comments about its odd title.

Have we lost our mojo? TZ is among the most revered titles of all time. Are we prohibited from touching this door?

I must conclude that this thread is lost in the zone. Goodbigh.

#20 9 days ago

"K's" Arcade has new transformers for 250-300.Treat your TZ right

#21 9 days ago

Maybe the rat just got Lost In The Zone.

#22 7 days ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

"K's" Arcade has new transformers for 250-300.Treat your TZ right

Thanks for the info, but the transformer for the TZ is "out of stock".

#23 7 days ago

I believe you may have a prototype, they dropped that feature on the production games...

#24 7 days ago

dead critter in, on or around the xformer, they RARELY fail, they have no moving parts. However a small mouse could fit into a tiny space and chew up insulation... however had that occurred you would likely have a blown fuse or seen some magic smoke and game would not function.
Get out your DMM and verify voltages and ohm readings.

Oh and transformers hum 'cause they don't know the words.

#25 5 days ago

UPDATE: After leaving the TZ on for 8 hours a day for about 10 days, the foul transformer smell has practically been eliminated. A couple of those days, I sprayed the transformer with alcohol before it was turned on, just in case the smell was being caused by some biological growth.

I have five other machines, and none of them have ever had this happen.

#26 5 days ago
Quoted from apc7654:

I don't know exactly what rotting oysters smell like, but maybe I should have described it as "foul" smell as opposed to a "dead rat". It is definitely not an electrical smell.
I left the it turned on for eight hours yesterday, and the machine did not have the foul smell when I turned it off. Turned it on today, again had the smell, but not as bad. I'm going to leave it on for several days. The transformer feels warm to the touch, but is not hot.

You might want to make the fuse is the right amperage in case something is going south. Better to pop a fuse than burn down the house.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 10.95
$ 57.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 14.95
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
7,500 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Boonsboro, MD
Machine - For Sale
Nanuet, NY
$ 50.00
$ 399.95
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
Machine - For Sale
Kinnelon, NJ
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 20.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
9,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Medinah, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside