(Topic ID: 264565)

TWD Well Walker Switch - Phantom Hits - Diode?

By eharan

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TWD Switch (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

I have a TWD LE and for the past year I have been getting phantom well walker hits. It happens when the ball is in the pops or sometimes when I hit the flipper buttons. It makes the game unplayable as you continuously start well walker multi-ball.

I have replaced the switch several times but it is still occurring. I am wondering if I may have put the diode on backwards and if this could be causing the issue.

Attached is a picture of the switch and diode. Can someone look at their game and let me know if the diode and wires are attached to the proper places?

If the switch is ok, is there anything else you think could be causing the issue?

Thanks
Ed

TWD Switch (resized).jpg
#2 3 months ago

Adjust the switch so it’s not so sensitive. I think the switch wouldn’t register at all if the diode was backwards or wired wrong.

#3 3 months ago

A diode put on a switch in the wrong order it would cause all kinds of problems.Test that diode with a meter no need to remove it when testing.Also make sure diode is in the correct order

#4 3 months ago

I have replaced the switch a few times, made numerous adjustments to the sensitivity and still have the same problem. I also removed the switch from the mech but kept it wired and taped it closed to see if it would still get phantom hits and the phantom hits stop so it tells me it is the switch but i have it where its really hard to get it to register with a normal hit but I still get phantom hits.

I am going to see if I can buy a complete new mech from Stern as this is ridiculous!

Thanks for the advice!
Ed

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Also make sure diode is in the correct order

His diode and wires are right.

The blade the roller is on looks kind of bent in an arc, not a good adjustment bend. Right past the knob that it pushes into the switch body. You don't want to effect the blade pushing the knob into the switch body, but on the one in the picture, I believe the blade is a tiny bit too close to the knob.

I'd adjust it or replace the switch. Start over fresh.

LTG : )

#6 3 months ago

Yeah that switch is chewed up for sure. The arm shouldn’t be bent like that. This is a frustrating adjustment for sure, but when you get it, you wont have to mess with it again most likely.

#7 3 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think the switch wouldn’t register at all if the diode was backwards or wired wrong.

You would have odd switch issues if it was in backwards.

#8 3 months ago

Check Z connector under playfield. Replace it and that mashed switch. Should take care of phantom hits on well walker.

#9 3 months ago

FYI that actuator started out normal and there were phantom hits. It was then adjusted like 345 more times. That's why it's all banged up. Never lifted up a playfield so much in my life.

I really hope the next new switch/actuator does the job.

#10 3 months ago
Quoted from eharan:

I have a TWD LE and for the past year I have been getting phantom well walker hits. It happens when the ball is in the pops or sometimes when I hit the flipper buttons. It makes the game unplayable as you continuously start well walker multi-ball.
I have replaced the switch several times but it is still occurring. I am wondering if I may have put the diode on backwards and if this could be causing the issue.
Attached is a picture of the switch and diode. Can someone look at their game and let me know if the diode and wires are attached to the proper places?
If the switch is ok, is there anything else you think could be causing the issue?
Thanks
Ed[quoted image]

I'd go into switch test mode and activate one switch at a time and see if any OTHER switch triggers that switch. Your problem may be in the matrix or controller chip and not on that actual switch.

#11 3 months ago

Z connector near the drops indeed. You can switch it with another one further down the playfield.

#12 3 months ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Z connector near the drops indeed. You can switch it with another one further down the playfield.

That’s the one. Swap it out or replace it. That’s been confirmed to be the cause of phantom well walker hits.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
$ 399.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside