“TWD or GOT”

• GOT 37 votes
    28%
  • TWD 85 votes
    65%
  • Street Fighter 2 8 votes
    6%

(130 votes)

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Which would you prefer? For lastability, code etc...
I already have TWD and think about a trade for a GOT... but i played a few games on route and i was not very impressed, flow is excellent but i find the playfield a bit... empty.
Also, what's wrong with GB Pro? I see a lot of negative comments but i don't really understand why it's so bad.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Shadrac:

... but i played a few games on route and i was not very impressed, flow is excellent but i find the playfield a bit... empty.
Also, what's wrong with GB Pro? I see a lot of negative comments but i don't really understand why it's so bad.

GOT is more aboot strategically scoring and using the multipliers to gain big scores. Almost all the scoring on it is very low without multiplying them and getting further in the game and opening up bigger multiplication.

If you like GB that's all that matters. Lots of people love it and lots of people think it's a horrible piece of garbage. I owned it and couldn;t get rid of it fast enough.

#3 6 years ago

Coin flip. Both are keepers for me.

#4 6 years ago

Dam tough one. These are by far my 2 most favorite modern pins (pro version ftw for each!)

TWD is more brutal, challenging, and less fun in that regards but easily has better code development and because of its difficulty has more OMG WOW moments. Its cool that it has so many different wizard modes but HORDE seems like the most common which is probably the games biggest negative. The difficulty to hit each of the wizard modes is very sporadic which in the long run makes HORDE less and less appealing despite how cool of a mode it is.

GOT is fast, flowy, and has a very nice fun appeal to it. Plus it has some cool alternating strategies associated with it which gives it a good last ability in a small collection. The wizard modes are all attainable yet hard to master points wise. The multiballs in this game are awesome in this game are awesome and are probably more fun than TWD mb's (though blood bath is one cool freakin multiball). GOT cons is its abandoned code support and lack of polished code. Rules are outstanding, but overall code needs polishing.

Can't go wrong with either. and i honestly cannot favorably pick one over the other. both are very different games in their own right. GOT for speed, flow, and on the fly flipping. TWD for trap+shoot technical play.

#5 6 years ago

Get one (flip a coin), play for 1 year, then trade for the other. They're both great, but there is no such thing as a keeper.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Dam tough one. These are by far my 2 most favorite modern pins (pro version ftw for each!)
TWD is more brutal, challenging, and less fun in that regards but easily has better code development and because of its difficulty has more OMG WOW moments. Its cool that it has so many different wizard modes but HORDE seems like the most common which is probably the games biggest negative. The difficulty to hit each of the wizard modes is very sporadic which in the long run makes HORDE less and less appealing despite how cool of a mode it is.
GOT is fast, flowy, and has a very nice fun appeal to it. Plus it has some cool alternating strategies associated with it which gives it a good last ability in a small collection. The wizard modes are all attainable yet hard to master points wise. The multiballs in this game are awesome in this game are awesome and are probably more fun than TWD mb's (though blood bath is one cool freakin multiball). GOT cons is its abandoned code support and lack of polished code. Rules are outstanding, but overall code needs polishing.
Can't go wrong with either. and i honestly cannot favorably pick one over the other. both are very different games in their own right. GOT for speed, flow, and on the fly flipping. TWD for trap+shoot technical play.

This is very well said and exactly how I feel. I will add this also, if you are a novice to average player or in a situation where the rest of the family is going to be playing the game, then I’d say GOT might be the pin that is the most fun for everyone. If you are a good player and want a challenge then I’d go TWD for sure. TWD is probably the better game and I think most people would say that but it is hard for me to recommend it players who aren’t real good or to a guy that wants a pin that he and his wife or family can play because the fact is, TWD is effing brutal!

GOT is brutal also but only when you start trying to make the shots that you need to make to complete modes. At least on GOT, a rookie can step up to it and have fun even if they suck at pinball or don’t know what they are doing. You just can’t hardly do that on TWD, and once you do know what you are doing it can be so dang frustrating at times! Both are killer games though and you can’t go wrong with either game.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Dam tough one.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

This is very well said and exactly how I feel.

Both of you guys hit it on the head. Both are great games, and the differences come down to what you like in a pinball machine. GOT has insane layers where it's fun right away, but the big scores require tons of precision and thought towards your multipliers and mode completion.

TWD is just brutal, but has a rule set that matches the game wonderfully. However some days you can play a dozen games in 10 minutes and get nowhere, but once you sync up with the game, it feels like magic.

So pick your poison and drink it down.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Both of you guys hit it on the head. Both are great games, and the differences come down to what you like in a pinball machine. GOT has insane layers where it's fun right away, but the big scores require tons of precision and thought towards your multipliers and mode completion.
TWD is just brutal, but has a rule set that matches the game wonderfully. However some days you can play a dozen games in 10 minutes and get nowhere, but once you sync up with the game, it feels like magic.
So pick your poison and drink it down.

Yes you are correct Dave. GOT is kinda two games in one, it has a deep rule set and there’s a lot to learn and more ways to score big other than just completing modes........good for the deep thinking nerdy type players. It also can be fun for people that just wanna complete the modes and not dig into the rules out how to complete them with maximum points. It’s also fun if you suck and can’t complete any modes because there are nice fast ramps and orbits etc that a person will hit and the ball will be flying around all over the place.

TWD IMO is just not that kind of pin. You need to learn the rules before it becaomes fun because that is truly where the fun is in TWD and then once you do, you walk away getting your butt kicked unless you are a pretty good player. I bet you anything that there are a lot of people that are just average players that own TWD that have never seen Horde mode because of how difficult it is to achieve.

#9 6 years ago

Very tough poll!

For a player its splitting hairs, one is tougher one is more stratigic. Both are very well coded and fun games. Different styles of play.

For a collector, both great themes, however TWD has better art.

#10 6 years ago

Spike vs non spike, for me the decision is easy in terms of “lastability.”

#11 6 years ago

TWD is better by far IMO - GOT needs a code update for the Premium/LE at least.

#12 6 years ago

I am actually deciding between both these games too. Going with a 3 game collection, this would be #3, tough decision.

I have never watched GOT. I am on season 3 of TWD.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I am actually deciding between both these games too. Going with a 3 game collection, this would be #3, tough decision.
I have never watched GOT. I am on season 3 of TWD.

So now we need to figure out which show is best also. I have only watched a little of Game of Thrones so I really can’t say. It looks damn good though. I like TWD a lot too!

#14 6 years ago

GOT and TWD are different playing games with different difficulty. TWD is a harder pin with lower playing times and has less flow. GOT is an easier pin with longer playing times and has more flow. Both have their merits within their different styles of play. I enjoy both TWD and GOT because they are different from each other, but prefer the LE/Premium versions. I'd pick the one based on your playing style wants; be it for what you like, or for something different from the other pins that you already own.

I prefer difficult pins and TWD is a favourite for me but I also enjoy variety. TWD made me a better player.... to the point that the first time I played a GOT pro was on route and in the first game on it I blew it up fairly well and got a combo (or mode) champion score on it. That's a lot different from TWD .

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So now we need to figure out which show is best also. I have only watched a little of Game of Thrones so I really can’t say. It looks damn good though. I like TWD a lot too!

Game of Thrones is the better show. I know that because I’m still watching it. I finally gave up on TWD last season. It stopped entertaining me a while ago, and I was only watching it to “stick with it” until the end, so I gave up on it.

#16 6 years ago

We should add street fighter 2 on every "which game is better" pool in place of the "I don't know the answer" option. It's way too good!

#17 6 years ago

These are my 2 most recent purchases and couldn't be happier. By far playing both more than other pins in my collection. I'm sure part of that is their newness but I'd been waiting for these pins for a while. They have not disappointed.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

These are my 2 most recent purchases and couldn't be happier. By far playing both more than other pins in my collection. I'm sure part of that is their newness but I'd been waiting for these pins for a while. They have not disappointed.

So which game do you like the most?

#19 6 years ago

both can be fun. TWD is the better game but once you learn the rules it becomes even more challenging. TWD is a butt kicker and will keep you thinking.

GOT is fun to start but the whole multiplier thing is not implemented well and ruins the long term aspect of the game for me.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

both can be fun. TWD is the better game but once you learn the rules it becomes even more challenging. TWD is a butt kicker and will keep you thinking.
GOT is fun to start but the whole multiplier thing is not implemented well and ruins the long term aspect of the game for me.

You don’t have to worry about the multipliers though unless you just want to score Alot of points. You can just try to complete all the houses and make it to HOTK and Iron Throne. That’s kind of what’s cool about it, you can play it multiple ways.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That's an odd comment about the multipliers of GOT. Care to elaborate? I find it pretty ground breaking mixing combo multipliers (on the fly shooting) stacked with pf multipliers (risk/reward).

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That's an odd comment about the multipliers of GOT. Care to elaborate?

Mafs hartd

#23 6 years ago

you need TWD and GOT

#24 6 years ago

I need money then

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That's an odd comment about the multipliers of GOT. Care to elaborate? I find it pretty ground breaking mixing combo multipliers (on the fly shooting) stacked with pf multipliers (risk/reward).

on GOT, you either shoot for score (via multiplier stacking) or to complete modes. It becomes a 1 track game competitively and the multiplier aspect makes the game pretty boring and overly complicated after time on it. It feels discombobulated and a forced layer on a game that would be fun without them.

in opposision, the x shot and pf multiplier of TWD is very intuitive even for novice players and falls very seamlessly with the natural game play.

#26 6 years ago

Twd>Got

I don't watch either show so theme is nothing to me. TWD has that one more game aspect. GOT is like a chore for me to play on league nights. GOT is fun but I have tired of it quickly, I would love a TWD someday

#27 6 years ago

i can't vote...because i honestly can't make a decision and i own both. they are equal as both being stern 'A' machines...but not at all similar

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

on GOT, you either shoot for score (via multiplier stacking) or to complete modes.

No, you have to complete modes to open up more multiplier satacking

Quoted from Whysnow:

It becomes a 1 track game competitively

Competitivly almost all games are 1 track

Quoted from Whysnow:

in opposision, the x shot and pf multiplier of TWD is very intuitive even for novice players and falls very seamlessly with the natural game play.

Is this your view as an OP or something? Whom cares what noobs understand? How does that make the game less enjoyable for you?

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No, you have to complete modes to open up more multiplier satacking

Competitivly almost all games are 1 track

Is this your view as an OP or something? Whom cares what noobs understand? How does that make the game less enjoyable for you?

what is the 1 track for TWD? Seems like a very well balanced code/physical game to me. GOT, not so much.

My opinion as a player. TWD is much more fun with longer lastability. GOT is a wood chopper. GOT was fun to learn but then turned to MEH.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So which game do you like the most?

Not sure yet...

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

My opinion as a player. TWD is much more fun with longer lastability. GOT is a wood chopper. GOT was fun to learn but then turned to MEH.

Modes + multiballs in TWD then shoot a bunch of shit.

Sure sure, as a player I can see either way for people, that's personal pref. I just canbnot understand why peopel are always taking into account what people just walking up to the game think.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

GOT is a wood chopper.

Care to elaborate here too? To me GOT feels way less of a wood chopper than any other game I have played. Ever tried get to LMS on TWD? That is as wood choppy as it gets. just make these 100-115 shots and then you get to play this mode. haha.

Both are fantastic games, and TWD for me is way better total package. I just don't understand a couple of your comments on GOT. Anyone that has had significant time on GOT knows full well there are multiple ways (competitive and non-competitive) to attack the game.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Care to elaborate here too? To me GOT feels way less of a wood chopper than any other game I have played. Ever tried get to LMS on TWD? That is as wood choppy as it gets. just make these 100-115 shots and then you get to play this mode. haha.
Both are fantastic games, and TWD for me is way better total package. I just don't understand a couple of your comments on GOT. Anyone that has had significant time on GOT knows full well there are multiple ways (competitive and non-competitive) to attack the game.

everyone I have ever seen play it, goes for martell in normal head to head. If they need a blow up they go for greyjoy.

stack a few modes/multipliers and improvise if you are having a better game I suppose, but that is all I ever see unless you a top player that can dominate the deck.

Rinse and repeat every damn time I see it used in heads up competition.

Playing for fun and to explore the game it is totally differnet and can be fun. That said, I dont like how it is not seamless between fun play and points play.

#34 6 years ago

I love the code of TWD, i think it's one or maybe the best code of all of the Sterns i had.
I love the speed and the flow of GOT, and if the code is similar in quality than the one of TWD, i think i'll buy one.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Game of Thrones is the better show. I know that because I’m still watching it. I finally gave up on TWD last season. It stopped entertaining me a while ago, and I was only watching it to “stick with it” until the end, so I gave up on it.

Thankfully TWD doesn't have any modes where you have to follow Carol or Morgan for an hour.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Shadrac:

I need money then

sell your IM

than you will have GOT, TWD and BSD ... a killer line-up !!

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Shadrac:

I love the code of TWD, i think it's one or maybe the best code of all of the Sterns i had.
I love the speed and the flow of GOT, and if the code is similar in quality than the one of TWD, i think i'll buy one.

Code vs code; TWD is way better and polished - however it does need pinball browser sound altering packages to make it great.

Rules vs rules; I give a very slight slight edge to GOT. There's such a balance of achievable tasks, modes, and scoring in GOT that gives it the edge. TWD having a bunch of wizard modes, like GOT, which are awesome. But, achieving those wizard modes is very unbalanced, unlike GOT, which makes it a horde horde horde repetition wizard mode all day long - one of the reasons I sold my PREM. But don't get me too wrong, rules are still stellar and one of Lyman's best and xbow frenzy and terminus aren't too bad achievement wise, it's just arena and LMS coupled with the pigeon hole effect that horde is; which is a kick ass mode in itself.

All in all, bottom line in what I think we've learned in this thread is that both pro models are stellar. I don't think I would sell either one to get the other but keep the one I had and sell another or save the dinero. I don't think Either of these games' pro version will be hard to find 2 or 3 years down the road.

Oh and the other thing we learned in this thread is whysnow has no idea what strategies, rules, or scoring methods reside in GOT.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Oh and the other thing we learned in this thread is whysnow has no idea what strategies, rules, or scoring methods reside in GOT.

let me know when you want to elucidate what those strategies are... and after you make them up, please explain why you never see them used in a heads up competition in 95% of the cases (5% reserved for the dummies and the pros that can blow up a game and do all sorts of crazy stuff in competition that the rest of us will never see even if on 5 ball)

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

let me know when you want to elucidate what those strategies are... and after you make them up, please explain why you never see them used in a heads up competition in 95% of the cases (5% reserved for the dummies and the pros that can blow up a game and do all sorts of crazy stuff in competition that the rest of us will never see even if on 5 ball)

#40 6 years ago

I owned both and had more fun modding TWD than playing it. GOT is just my style of game and had a blast playing it.

#41 6 years ago

Hi there,

Second post on this forum, and ironically ran into the same issue. Except I had the means to make the debate about 6 pins, and bought 3 NIB. To the OP, I couldn't decide either so we bought both and a JJP dialed in.

Here is what we based the decision:

1) we ( my wife two teens and a pre teen) are huge fans of both shows.
2) we spent a bit (okay would you believe a lot) of time at Dave and busters here in Canada playing a tonn of pinball.
3) line 2 doesn't make any of us pro's or even good at pinball. But boy did we have a blast and the three machines we kept coming back to were those three, hobbit was 4th, Simpsons party was 5th and Metallica was 6.

With that being said we collectively picked TWD,GOT and DI. I felt that there were/ are considerable differences between the games and based on the OP on which one would we recommend....and our criteria of which one would be the most fun... value for the money, and cool factor. TWD won, but then we would switch on the drive home to GOT, or DI, and ultimately we just could not decide as they are both fun in different ways, where the sum total: of the games are visually awesome, the play and challenge or difficulty levels had great progression, and well we couldn't pick just one and bought both. We had a unique opportunity to get two premium new in box and jumped in. The games are very different and awesome, and can only say you can't really go wrong with either machine. I'm glad we had the money that it didn't need to be a choice we had to make as having the opportunity to play both we would always be left wondering did we make the right call lol.

In any case best of luck, you have a high class problem if your looking at both these great machines...once you decide...the next set of decisions are what mods to get. Loving every minute spent on the this forum learning about this great hobby we get our machine s delivered in November and will be sure to post back once we get them home, look forward to reading about your choice and which direction you take and why.?

Regards,

Requis

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It's all in the GOT kicks ass thread. Knock yourself out.

Competition players want an easy to digest path to be competitive on every game. A very successful and easy to digest strategy is Martell, stack two house's for multiball, and hope you blow it up.

But what most of those players don't know is what if that first multiball doesn't go well? Then what? HOTK? Another multiball?

What if the ram is junk? I just destroyed someone in league that went Martell and couldn't get a single super jackpot to register. I didn't hit one single SJP either and beat him by 500 million.

What if the stark ramp on the prem cannot be backhanded or flies off if hit with a forehand?

What if ball save is off?

Am I playing KME or ACE? (great cincinnati player)

Depending on which of the above situations are present (multiple are possible), I will have a different strategy each time. Martell might not even be one.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Code vs code; TWD is way better and polished - however it does need pinball browser sound altering packages to make it great.
Rules vs rules; I give a very slight slight edge to GOT. There's such a balance of achievable tasks, modes, and scoring in GOT that gives it the edge. TWD having a bunch of wizard modes, like GOT, which are awesome. But, achieving those wizard modes is very unbalanced, unlike GOT, which makes it a horde horde horde repetition wizard mode all day long - one of the reasons I sold my PREM. But don't get me too wrong, rules are still stellar and one of Lyman's best and xbow frenzy and terminus aren't too bad achievement wise, it's just arena and LMS coupled with the pigeon hole effect that horde is; which is a kick ass mode in itself.
All in all, bottom line in what I think we've learned in this thread is that both pro models are stellar. I don't think I would sell either one to get the other but keep the one I had and sell another or save the dinero. I don't think Either of these games' pro version will be hard to find 2 or 3 years down the road.

So I guess what you are saying Eskaybee is we can just add that to the already very long list of things that he knows nothing about?

#44 6 years ago

For me personally, TWD and it isn't close.

#45 6 years ago

Get TWD premium and GOT pro.

Done.

#46 6 years ago

I cannot stand "The Walking Dead" TV show.

Hate it... So stressful & depressing.

I don't need that shit in my life. I've got a mortgage & a job which is all the stress & depression I need.

But I love Stern's TWD.

I dig the dark art with the brown & red tones. It's super cool the inserts are black/white like the comics too. The code is weird to me & I dig that. You can play it like a mode based game or play it like a score risk/reward game which I find interesting.

GOT... well... it looks terrible. I don't like the art & I don't watch the show & I don't know how to play it. So obviously for me TWD wins even if it's for all the wrong reasons. One day I will figure out GOT but when I play it I force it because it's just so ugly & based on a theme I'm not into.

#47 6 years ago

GOT is a better show than TWD, by far IMO.
TWD is boring as hell and characters are annoying appart from Negan.
GOT is just the best show ever created, if you forget some inconsistencies of the last season.
But yeah TWD pin is art is better than GOT...

#48 6 years ago

I love both the themes but I have not played either enough to make an educated decision. From the handful of games I have played it feels like TWD pop bumpers are in the worst location ever for a pinball machine, right in the middle of playfield. Several shots lead directly into them-killing flow and then dribbling out. Do the pops bother anyone else on TWD? I was thinking I could disable them if I did not like them or turn them down. GOT has great flow and some of the rejects keep you on your toes. It seems like a deep game but I could care less about points and multipliers, I like completing modes and trying to get to the wizard mode. If it is all about multipliers, it may not be for me. I want one but I want to make sure it is fun to me and is worth purchasing. My other problem is I am still interested in Star Wars and have been closely following all of the trouble shooting threads with glimpses of hope for Premium/LE with a fully functioning hyperloop. I also have GOTG and Houdini on the mind, these are good times guys, we have choices and I feel very fortunate.

#49 6 years ago

TWD in my opinion. I'm an average player and the first few games on twd were brutal and I initially didn't enjoy it. But it was only one of two games (the other being MM) at the nearby bar/grill when I was at a conference. After about 3 or 4 games I got the hang of it and began to enjoy it just as much as MM. I totally agree that it has less "flow", but interesting layout and makes you want to get further and play longer each time. I've never connected with GOT. For me a game where its all ramp to flipper, ramp to flipper, gets old fast. I like the more unique playfield layouts. Guess I'm more Borg > Ritchie (although enjoy his games, too). Also, the rules matter as well. If you are all about points and multipliers, then GOT. If you are looking for something more unique and immersive, I'd go with twd. My two cents. I don't own either, fyi. But if I did, TWD would be the one. "KARL!!!"

#50 6 years ago

I'll keep my TWD Pro, it's just one of the best pinball ever made and a complete package on rules, art and lastability. I don't know if i will buy a GOT, seems a bit short and less fun/finished compared to TWD...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 26.95
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-vs-got-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.