• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0654.JPG
1621667_10101210103210522_8532112835178936887_n.jpg
image.jpg
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I have read

"The magnet in front of the prison was holding the ball a bit too long, causing SDTM's sometimes. This was being worked on, mentioned Gary."

"People experiencing SDTM from weak ramp shots"

"Coming out of the pops weak causing SDTM"

So have you other owners experienced any of these or any other issues, and how did you cure it ?

#2 9 years ago

My front rollover switch is not registering.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

Games are supposed to drain. If you brick a ramp shot, expect to pay a price.

#4 9 years ago

I had an issue with my top roll over, not registering all of the time. Stern sent me a new board for the opto on the switch, it did not fix the problem. After investigating it a little more, I found that the fast launch's over the the rollovers would cause this issue. The bottom roll over had a lip around the top edge where the ball would hit and I am assuming jump off the playfied slightly causing the ball to not hit the roll over switch. I removed both rollover's and found just the right spot to install the bottom one so there was the smallest lip possible. It seems to help alot, but I do still get one that does not register once in awhile.

Anyone else have this issue?

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Games are supposed to drain. If you brick a ramp shot, expect to pay a price.

I'm in agreement on this one - people are complaining too much that TWD drains a lot. Well it is supposed too - don't forget these games are designed and built to take money on location.

The magnet drain is a but frustrating I'll admit that - and I'd guess that a little code tweak will help randomize the magnet pulse to move the ball around a bit before its released.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

I'm in agreement on this one - people are complaining too much that TWD drains a lot. Well it is supposed too - don't forget these games are designed and built to take money on location.
The magnet drain is a but frustrating I'll admit that - and I'd guess that a little code tweak will help randomize the magnet pulse to move the ball around a bit before its released.

I understand draining - I experience SDTM off magnet unless nudged as magnet releases - this should be tweaked.. I had the top left lane for skill shot switch that needed adjustment.. Other than that plays great... Leveled perfect

#7 9 years ago

Sorry Double post

Leveled and newest code installed

#8 9 years ago

I used to hate the mode on TAF Seance, my balls would nearly always be thrown down between the flippers

#9 9 years ago

Two issues I don't like about this game.

1. The head in the prison does not register unless you have a full force direct shot. They need optos or something instead of that modified stand-up target they're using.

2. The ball exiting out of the pops, between the Well Walker and the right ramp, likes to glance off the black post near the ramp entrance and go SDTM.

Both of these can probably be fixed at home, but all the games I've played are on location and these are issues out of the box.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Two issues I don't like about this game.
1. The head in the prison does not register unless you have a full force direct shot. They need optos or something instead of that modified stand-up target they're using.
2. The ball exiting out of the pops, between the Well Walker and the right ramp, likes to glance off the black post near the ramp entrance and go SDTM.
Both of these can probably be fixed at home, but all the games I've played are on location and these are issues out of the box.

1. The leaf switch needs adjustment mine was the same way. Now just a hit will always register the shot.

2. My machine when is hit the rubber goes to the flipper most of the times. Yeah once in awhile it goes STDM but it is pinball.

I have my machine at about 6.6 degrees. Leveled left to right perfectly. I think most issues are due to bad machine set-up.

#11 9 years ago

Don't play a properly set up Iron Man if this is an 'issue' for you

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Don't play a properly set up Iron Man if this is an 'issue' for you

Not an issue for me - the post states I have read the following - This post is for TWD owners to share their experiences and problem and or solutions

#13 9 years ago

We set our game up to make sure the left orbit returns the ball to the left flipper. Also made sure when rolling the ball from the prison it does drop SDTM. This setup also allows balls from the pop bumpers to typically hit the rubber next to the last pop bumper and not drain. Also if a ramp is shot short it typically does not drain with this setup.

During the prison shot when the magnet captures the ball, as soon as the zombie takes it to the head in the DMD with the crowbar, I just start jiggling the machine and the ball does not drain SDTM. The ball moves off center due to the jiggling, yes that is a scientific term. I'm sure this will be fixed and be like Sparky in Metallica with later code updates.

#14 9 years ago

I have issues with the skill shot not making it most of the time. The ball bounces back and forth and can't always make it up the skill area. Yes the game is level.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

My front rollover switch is not registering.

This turned out to be the rollover was not level to Playfield and had to be adjusted.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walking-dead-right-ramp-flying-balls#post-2015130

#16 9 years ago

SDTM off prison magnet should not be occurring when magnet releases - it is happening on mine.. When I set up SS billiards and played it, when the ball is released the magnet pulses and tosses the ball to the side..

Call into Stern who has no idea yet.. Will report back on findings

Newest code 1.11 and level

#17 9 years ago

SDTM off prison magnet should not be occurring when magnet releases - it is happening on mine.. When I set up SS billiards and played it, when the ball is released the magnet pulses and tosses the ball to the side..
Call into Stern who has no idea yet.. Will report back on findings
Newest code 1.11 and level

On the one on location here in Austin, I've found that hitting both flipper buttons to cancel the DMD intro seems to increase the chance of the magnet throwing the ball to one side or the other. If you let it play out, then you're 75% chance dropped SDTM.

#18 9 years ago

I just nudge,alot.
Only tilted one time,so far.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

On the one on location here in Austin, I've found that hitting both flipper buttons to cancel the DMD intro seems to increase the chance of the magnet throwing the ball to one side or the other. If you let it play out, then you're 75% chance dropped SDTM.

I concur. Although I always got it to work by hitting both flippers.

#20 9 years ago

And the one at SS BILLIARDS tosses it to the side without hitting buttons. Stern agreed should not have to "nudge" for off magnet. Will report back

1 week later
#21 9 years ago

Nothing new to report - anyone else

#22 9 years ago

My only issue has been with the crossbow not functioning as it should. Seems about 50% of the time it actually doesn't swing out, and the fire button doesn't seem to connect. Something must need adjusting I just don't know what.

On the bright side I don't get many SDTM magnet releases.

#23 9 years ago

I have been getting a lot of SDTM off of bad ramp shots. Also some coming from the skill shot. As far as the prison magnet goes its complete rubbish. 80% of the time it drops the ball straight down the middle.

#24 9 years ago

OK, I take it back. I have a new issue. Actually it's not new I just didn't know enough to notice it.

Can anyone hit the Tower on the plunge? Every single time I've tried, it just loses too much steam before it gets there. I've touched it a few times, but with so little force it just drops down and doesn't register.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

OK, I take it back. I have a new issue. Actually it's not new I just didn't know enough to notice it.
Can anyone hit the Tower on the plunge? Every single time I've tried, it just loses too much steam before it gets there. I've touched it a few times, but with so little force it just drops down and doesn't register.

I solved this with a piece of the plastic side of sticky back vecro. It works every time now.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Come on. These aren't pachinko machines. People put quarters in to play. If ball times are 10 seconds or so then people are t going to keep paying.

There's a lot of cheap crap that happens in this game and that does not make the game fun. Shooting ramps and zombies is fun. Having balls stuck in pops for several seconds then come SDTM is not fun. Having magnets hold the ball and release it unhittable SDTM is not fun. The outlanes on this game are the worst since sttng.

I've broken 100k several games. I'm not terrible. But this one is often more frustrating than fun. The only way to fight back is to shake the machine. And I don't mean pussy like nudging you see at tournaments. Remove the weight off the tilt bob, put the game on carpet sliders and be prepared to move it like crazy.

I've death saved a right outlane drain only to have the ball instantly in the right outlane again. Death saved that and instantly in left outlane. This type of thing is more common than you'd think in twd.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I've death saved a right outlane drain only to have the ball instantly in the right outlane again. Death saved that and instantly in left outlane. This type of thing is more common than you'd think in twd.

Maybe this is sterns way of staying true to the theme of the show; just when you thought you narrowly escaped death, one more zombie comes out of nowhere and.......you dead.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I solved this with a piece of the plastic side of sticky back vecro. It works every time now.

How the heck did you come up with that? I will try it in the morning.
Does no one else have this issue?

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

I had an issue with my top roll over, not registering all of the time. Stern sent me a new board for the opto on the switch, it did not fix the problem. After investigating it a little more, I found that the fast launch's over the the rollovers would cause this issue. The bottom roll over had a lip around the top edge where the ball would hit and I am assuming jump off the playfied slightly causing the ball to not hit the roll over switch. I removed both rollover's and found just the right spot to install the bottom one so there was the smallest lip possible. It seems to help alot, but I do still get one that does not register once in awhile.
Anyone else have this issue?

Yes! I have an intermittent issue with the left rollover above the pops. Sometimes it registers... sometimes it doesn't. When I remove the glass and touch it with my finger, it registers every damn time.

Very strange...

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

How the heck did you come up with that? I will try it in the morning.
Does no one else have this issue?

After reading this I just tried it in switch test and glass off- plunged ball and doesn't hit tower target - I will try that soft Velcro too!

#31 9 years ago

Are we sure that the ball is supposed to hit the tower target from the plunge?

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

target tower does light up on the dmd skill shot before plunge

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Yes. That's how the skill shot works. The skill shot is two part. First part is hit the target on plung when the most points are visible on the screen. If you hit the target then that value will increase the skill shot points if you hit the lit lane after. If you can't hit the target then none of this works.

#34 9 years ago

Hmm, I haven't looked, but maybe that's the switch 60 error I see. I keep meaning to check into it, but then I press start and just play.

Even with the little bugs, this game is a ton of fun and it beats me up so bad I'm always going "just one more".

I'll be doing the Velcro fix here shortly. I'm actually going to the factory next week. Is it rude to ask how the skill shot is supposed to work and mention that it doesn't?

#35 9 years ago

I had a switch 60 error on the std code, now updated code its gone

#36 9 years ago

I do not think the plunge is suppose to hit the tower every time you plunge it. It is a skill shot for the tower you must hit it with the proper plunge speed. To fast and it will bounce off the rail and miss the target, to slow and it will miss. At least that is how my machine plays. Seems adding the velcro just makes it so it hits the tower every time by changing the ball path directly yo the target everytime, taking the skill away. Am I the only one who thinks this?

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

I do not think the plunge is suppose to hit the tower every time you plunge it. It is a skill shot for the tower you must hit it with the proper plunge speed. To fast and it will bounce off the rail and miss the target, to slow and it will miss. At least that is how my machine plays. Seems adding the velcro just makes it so it hits the tower every time by changing the ball path directly yo the target everytime, taking the skill away. Am I the only one who thinks this?

It depends on if the purpose of the skill shot is to time the shot to the tower, or to time the shot to the tower and plunge at the right speed. I would think that it's just the timing of hitting the tower when the score is at maximum. I think it should hit the tower on full plunge every time.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It depends on if the purpose of the skill shot is to time the shot to the tower, or to time the shot to the tower and plunge at the right speed. I would think that it's just the timing of hitting the tower when the score is at maximum. I think it should hit the tower on full plunge every time.

+1 and do not think you should need to add velcro to a new machine to make it operational

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yes. That's how the skill shot works. The skill shot is two part. First part is hit the target on plung when the most points are visible on the screen. If you hit the target then that value will increase the skill shot points if you hit the lit lane after. If you can't hit the target then none of this works.

Ah. That would explain why I couldn't make heads or tails of the skill shot.

#40 9 years ago

I witnessed the SDTM off a magnet release when I played it. Most of the time it would throw the ball, but once it just sort of released the ball and it went SDTM. I think that's an easy software fix either by adjusting the magnet or activating a ball save for 1-2 seconds. Dr. Who does this with the time expander eject.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

I do not think the plunge is suppose to hit the tower every time you plunge it. It is a skill shot for the tower you must hit it with the proper plunge speed. To fast and it will bounce off the rail and miss the target, to slow and it will miss. At least that is how my machine plays. Seems adding the velcro just makes it so it hits the tower every time by changing the ball path directly yo the target everytime, taking the skill away.

So your theory is that it's a two-stage skill shot involving both timing and strength of the plunge. I suppose that's possible, but it would be one hell of a hard skill shot. The one thing that lends this theory some credence, though, is the fact that nobody's machine seems to consistently hit the tower standup from a full plunge. This seems like the kind of thing Stern would have noticed during whitewood testing.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

I witnessed the SDTM off a magnet release when I played it. Most of the time it would throw the ball, but once it just sort of released the ball and it went SDTM. I think that's an easy software fix either by adjusting the magnet or activating a ball save for 1-2 seconds. Dr. Who does this with the time expander eject.

The one I have played would shake the ball off the magnet every time if you hit both flippers together while it was still on the magnet. But I agree, I bet the software gets updated on this.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

So your theory is that it's a two-stage skill shot involving both timing and strength of the plunge. I suppose that's possible, but it would be one hell of a hard skill shot. The one thing that lends this theory some credence, though, is the fact that nobody's machine seems to consistently hit the tower standup from a full plunge. This seems like the kind of thing Stern would have noticed during whitewood testing.

This makes me think it is possible it was their intention. I seem to remember getting a very high skill shot on my 3rd ball one time (10million plus). That seems to lend to the possibility that the skill shot is two fold (plunge strength and timing)

#44 9 years ago

Hmm, now I want to turn the game off and just repeatedly plunge the ball and test the theory of strength of plunge, so see if it's possible to hit it at all.

For those who've timed it perfectly is there any specific animation or way to know if you've done it perfectly?

#45 9 years ago

I thought the skill shot was multi-faceted...like sometimes you just want to hit one or both of the star rollovers?

A lot of stern games have skill shots like that. An 'easier' one, then a more difficult one, then one that is very hard to get.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

I thought the skill shot was multi-faceted...like sometimes you just want to hit one or both of the star rollovers?

That's what I thought as well, but this doesn't appear to be implemented in the software yet. I assume the Woodbury shot is supposed to involve the rollovers.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That's what I thought as well, but this doesn't appear to be implemented in the software yet. I assume the Woodbury shot is supposed to involve the rollovers.

The Woodbury shot DOES involve the roll overs.

If you short plunge, and you roll over a lit roll over, you get the points associated with that roll over.

I have earned 100,000 on the Woodbury shot with a short plunge, while getting 50,000 after making the right lane.

Marcus

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

The Woodbury shot DOES involve the roll overs.
If you short plunge, and you roll over a lit roll over, you get the points associated with that roll over.
I have earned 100,000 on the Woodbury shot with a short plunge, while getting 50,000 after making the right lane.
Marcus

The Woodbury shot tells you where the ball needs to end up on the plunge - different places for different awards

#49 9 years ago

The Woodbury shot tells you where the ball needs to end up on the plunge - different places for different awards

But it seems like every time I get the Woodbury shot, the highest amount of points is the third spot (left lane). Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

But it seems like every time I get the Woodbury shot, the highest amount of points is the third spot (left lane). Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention.

Played last night and chose advance prison for woodbury shot and it was 2nd rollover

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 16.00
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 26.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-sdtm-or-other-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.