Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by BMore-Pinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I played 2 different TWD machines on location yesterday. They are at Downstairs at Eric's in Breckenridge, CO and at Flipper McGill's in Idaho Springs, CO. On both machines, I kept getting frequent quick drains when the ball would dribble out of the pops area on the upper right. I have previously played TWD on location and not had that problem.

Is this just a natural tendency of this game, or does this mean they were they not quite level? I find it hard to believe that it was a level issue, since it happened the same way on 2 different machines. Obviously, I can't remove the glass to check whether they are level, because they are on-location.

If indeed this is just part of the design, and unrelated to setup, has anyone come up with a technique to consistently avoid these drains?

#2 4 years ago

I know some others have also complained of this, but I am not experiencing this issue at all on my premium.

#3 4 years ago

The pops feed is very drainy on this game. I always try and nudge it while its in the pops to either get it to pop around the Tunnel orbit to the left flipper or to bump it off the feed to avoid a SDTM drain.

#4 4 years ago

No Problems with drains on my TWD Pro

#5 4 years ago

I think it is a leveling issue. I used Pinguy to level mine.

#6 4 years ago

It must be a very fine adjustment. The rest of the game didn't seem wildly off-level. It might be my imagination, but I thought it seemed very slightly tilted to the right. (Left side too high, right side too low.)

Where does the ball normally fall, when not having this problem? The left flipper?

#7 4 years ago

I don't agree that it is a leveling issue at all. How could it be a leveling issue when it's completely unpredictable on how the pops are going to send the ball out of the area? If the ball slowly falls out of the pops and stays to the right, it should knock of the post on the left side of arena and feed the left flipper if it has enough speed. But a lot of times it will slowly come out of the pops touching nothing and go SDTM.

3 weeks later
#8 4 years ago

I get lots of drains out of the pop bumpers, will have to check my side to side level

#9 4 years ago

My machine is leaning slightly to the right and I get lots of pop drains.
Will get it leveled and report back, but can't see it making a big difference

#10 4 years ago

I have played 2 different pro machines(both on location though) and it is a constant problem with SDTM drains with some hard nudging and even then can't always save it. I think it's just a poor design and bound to happen a lot out of pops. If there is a way to level it to prevent it I would be surprised but I guess it's not out of the question it could be done

I almost think they need one of those wire diverters like in Avatar for when it comes out of the pops so it doesn't go SDTM.

#11 4 years ago

Definitely a poor design. It's why I don't like the game. It's one thing to be punished with a quick drain from a missed shot, but a SDTM from exiting the pops is total bullshit.

#12 4 years ago

I've played both of those drain monsters over Xmas, same exact ones. It's the setup of the pins themselves.

Go read some of the posts in a couple of other threads where MOST people have zero issues/zero drains HUO because its set up properly and the ones that do its just an easy leveling adjustment fix.

It's a frustrating thing, especially the one at Eric's, when that happens, destroys MB's as well. If I had played that pin first before I bought my LE I would have never bought one. Thankfully, I didn't.

It's a great pin, the only gripe I have right now is the crossbow is basically a joke.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

My machine is leaning slightly to the right and I get lots of pop drains.
Will get it leveled and report back, but can't see it making a big difference

It will make a BIG difference, the slightest of leveling on this pin seems to make major differences with that issue.

#14 4 years ago

several i have played do this, mine however does not. mine tends to hit the right post rubber as it exits the pops making it go to the left flipper. once in a great while the pops will send it sdtm though. ac dc and avatar are 2 others that the pops do this. play around with different size post rubber to cure the issue.

#15 4 years ago

I've noticed that if this game is leaning at all to the right it'll be a drain monster from the pops and prison. Even just barely to the right makes it tough.

#16 4 years ago

Slightly on topic, I found that on the iPhone if you use the compass and swipe to the side it has a built in digital level that gives pretty good feed back for helping level the machine. I know the bubble level is not a difficult device to use, but it can be tricky finding a place to put it on the upper playfield sometimes, and I don't always have one with me...

--Kevin

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

I've noticed that if this game is leaning at all to the right it'll be a drain monster from the pops and prison. Even just barely to the right makes it tough.

Agreed, more than any pin I've ever owned, this one has to be leveled correctly, and not off by a hair.

It's an entirely different game when you don't get the pop drains, it removes the urge to take a sledge hammer to the pin, like I wanted to do at Erics.

Nonetheless, I still played the shit out of it, even with a ST that I don't own right next to it

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Agreed, more than any pin I've ever owned, this one has to be leveled correctly, and not off by a hair.
It's an entirely different game when you don't get the pop drains, it removes the urge to take a sledge hammer to the pin, like I wanted to do at Erics.
Nonetheless, I still played the shit out of it, even with a ST that I don't own right next to it

Agreed. Even though the one I play on location is pretty brutal, I have no problem pumping 30 bucks into it every couple weeks. This is definitely a "just one more game" pin for me.

#19 4 years ago

I will agree that it is all about leveling. When I first got the pin it would drain like crazy coming out of the bumpers. I also had a left side drain that was driving me nuts. I took the glass off, and took my time leveling side to side and that solved it all. I made the mistake of leveling on the glass on initial setup. It was a quite a bit different than the PF. Made it a completely different game to play.

#20 4 years ago

The fact that leveling has to be so precise on this machine makes it a piece of shit for location play. Sounds like it is fine for home play, but I get super pissed when the ball just dribbles down the drain continuously on location.This is a design flaw and will hurt earnings since no one wants cheap drains. You can't expect an operator to keep a game level at all times on a location and as a customer I have no access nor the willingness to crawl on the floor and level a game I'm pumping money into.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

The fact that leveling has to be so precise on this machine makes it a piece of shit for location play. Sounds like it is fine for home play, but I get super pissed when the ball just dribbles down the drain continuously on location.This is a design flaw and will hurt earnings since no one wants cheap drains. You can't expect an operator to keep a game level at all times on a location and as a customer I have no access nor the willingness to crawl on the floor and level a game I'm pumping money into.

see my post earlier for the amount of money I am pumping into one on location. I know of at least two other guys putting that kind of money into it as well. Not to mention the randos that play it. I am not an operator, but I would say 100-200 per month in earnings is pretty good.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

You can reach down, and lower the left leg a tiny bit, help the OP out, problem solved.

It's not a "design flaw", it IS the Op's responsibility to maintain pins properly and like Chuck says, people still want to play the shit out of it.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You can reach down, and lower the left leg a tiny bit, help the OP out, problem solved.

It's not a "design flaw", it IS the Op's responsibility to maintain pins properly and like Chuck says, people still want to play the shit out of it.

I'm saying that it's hard for an OP to maintain such a precise level. It shouldn't have to be that way.

#24 4 years ago

I agree with Fatdirk. I don't see why they didn't anticipate this being an issue. I can see at home it can be dialed in but from the two I played on location, you had to know the feed once it hit the last pop otherwise it was SDTM.

Wasn't fun, but that's also because the prison doors wouldn't open and the well walker was only registering direct hits maybe 25% of the time but that's a different kind of problem. I could only dream of the local op's only issue being a slight leveling issue.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Philk:

Wasn't fun, but that's also because the prison doors wouldn't open and the well walker was only registering direct hits maybe 25% of the time but that's a different kind of problem. I could only dream of the local op's only issue being a slight leveling issue.

I totally forgot about this issue. The well walker doesn't register hits and also that stupid head behind the prison door doesn't register hits.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Philk:

I agree with Fatdirk. I don't see why they didn't anticipate this being an issue. I can see at home it can be dialed in but from the two I played on location, you had to know the feed once it hit the last pop otherwise it was SDTM.

have you tried contacting the OP directly? I email the OP if there is an issue and he always has it fixed within 24 hours.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I'm saying that it's hard for an OP to maintain such a precise level. It shouldn't have to be that way.

I agree, it shouldn't have to be that way and most, like Eric's in Breck wouldn't even know it was happening.

If this pin is getting those pop drains and prison walker not registering hits properly, like the above location, it makes it almost impossible, this pin is hard enough as it is.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If this pin is getting those pop drains and prison walker not registering hits properly, like the above location, it makes it almost impossible, this pin is hard enough as it is.

Haha yeah wasn't until I played another on location that had only the pop SDTM issue that I realized how ridiculous the other one played. The prison door didn't open so I don't know if its even possible to start prison multiball on it, I had hit all the arrows that I could see but there was one letter left?

In maybe 9 games on the brutal machine I got 1 multiball haha (though in that multiball I set the GC somehow, CDC with blood bath, 2x scoring? it was like 9 million per left ramp for 15-20 seconds)

And yeah i've emailed this op numerous times about their machines, doesn't help. Newest sterns that are typically barely playable. Bummer for sure.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

also that stupid head behind the prison door doesn't register hits.

Agree, Also that walker head is a poor design with its sharp pointy face, redid gap adjustment & tweaked spring tensions tight/loose, makes no difference

#30 4 years ago

Pends who the operator is.
my games are all level at all times n location .
any smart operator can counteract it by adding a larger post rubber.
or keep the tilt loose enough so a player can nudge the machine and get it safely out of the pops.
its not hard.

Quoted from fattdirk:

#31 4 years ago

thats bcuz the prison doors block the optos.
disable it in the menu

Quoted from skywalker:

Agree, Also that walker head is a poor design with its sharp pointy face, redid gap adjustment & tweaked spring tensions tight/loose, makes no difference

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's not a "design flaw",

Sorry to say that but yes, I call it a design flaw.
I experienced the same, adding direct SDTM from the Prison magnet as a "bonus".

If you believe ops would fine-tune a game on location in France to make it playable, you are sadly mistaken. Getting a software update installed here is already a miracle.

#33 4 years ago

Leveled machine, still getting a few pop drains but nowhere near what I was when it was leaning to the right. Prison magnet once in a while, but I think code can fix that

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 445.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 19.95
8,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fleetwood, PA
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Livingston, NJ
$ 16.00
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, MO
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
Machine - For Sale
New City, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 150.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside