Topic poll

“which newer stern do you like more”

• TWD Pro 66 votes
    34%
  • MET pro 128 votes
    66%

(194 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

9B7006C9-19E2-426C-A99C-39DA4F5D843F (resized).jpeg
20180514_130626 (resized).jpg
001 (resized).JPG
002 (resized).JPG
zoidberg.jpg
image-441.jpg
bloomin-onion.jpg
image-598.jpg

There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 1 year ago

I also just picked up a star trek pro and man it may be my favorite stern pro. Its loaded with features and is probably the fastest /flowiest pin i have owned/played. Great light show and good code imo.

#102 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I also just picked up a star trek pro. Its loaded with features.

#103 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I also just picked up a star trek pro and man it may be my favorite stern pro.\

Definitely a good one. I'd never ever ever trade my ST Pro for MET pro, having owned both. Both TWD and ST are deeper and IMO and better themes. Not to trash talk MET, just saying all great games. For me MET is nowhere near #1 spot but there is plenty of cream at the top.

#104 1 year ago

We have ST pro parked right beside or MET. Though there are many excellent titles to choose from, ST is just pinball at it's finest. The flow, lights & sound, is an almost perfect combination of pure pinball. Though ST is not perfect, as I believe there is no such thing. There is still a few glitches in the most recent code but that is minimal considering the overall package. If Stern would have just one more code update on this title, ST would definitely be a title worthy of one of the greats of all time.

#105 1 year ago
Quoted from MMP:

Definitely a good one. I'd never ever ever trade my ST Pro for MET pro, having owned both. Both TWD and ST are deeper and IMO and better themes. Not to trash talk MET, just saying all great games. For me MET is nowhere near #1 spot but there is plenty of cream at the top.

Quoted from Ockeyhead:

We have ST pro parked right beside or MET. Though there are many excellent titles to choose from, ST is just pinball at it's finest. The flow, lights & sound, is an almost perfect combination of pure pinball. Though ST is not perfect, as I believe there is no such thing. There is still a few glitches in the most recent code but that is minimal considering the overall package. If Stern would have just one more code update on this title, ST would definitely be a title worthy of one of the greats of all time.

St is a really good pin.... im just mad i waited 5 years after it came out to own it lol. I may actually upgrade to a le now

#106 1 year ago

Yes, we're very tempted to upgrade to an LE but are very satisfied w/ the pro edition. With the pro, you get extremely close to the LE gameplay in comparison, minus the lightshow. With that said, the lightshow on the pro is quite intense in it's own right. There goes my melting eyeballs flowing down my cheek again from another lightshow glare-flash, indicating you've earned another medal upgrade. You've earned ~ Another cataract!

3 weeks later
#107 1 year ago

So I picked up a new TWD pro, and figured I'd come back to this thread.

First impressions... This game is brutal! I'll have a decent game every 10-20 plays. I've done Horde a couple of times, but I find there are just so many drains that feel like I had no chance to save them (like the tunnel dropping balls SDTM, and slings spitting balls directly into the gaping outlanes).

I haven't had enough time on MET, so wanted to get impressions on how it compares.

#108 1 year ago

Met pro is a bit more forgiving more flowing imo.

I have Met pro, TWD pro, IMVE and Tron Pro

All equivalent pro type pins and TWD pro is the kick in the nuts out of the lot.

#109 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Met pro is a bit more forgiving more flowing imo.
I have Met pro, TWD pro, IMVE and Tron Pro
All equivalent pro type pins and TWD pro is the kick in the nuts out of the lot.

Rai interested to hear your thoughts on IMVE. I'm thinking of getting one. The either is acdc prem but not sure I want to drop the extra cash on it be iron Man.

#110 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

So I picked up a new TWD pro, and figured I'd come back to this thread.
First impressions... This game is brutal! I'll have a decent game every 10-20 plays. I've done Horde a couple of times, but I find there are just so many drains that feel like I had no chance to save them (like the tunnel dropping balls SDTM, and slings spitting balls directly into the gaping outlanes).
I haven't had enough time on MET, so wanted to get impressions on how it compares.

Are you a passive player ? TWD will chew you up and spit you out if you don’t shake it. I’m not talking about a liberal tilt and throwing the machine around but it needs a lot of nudging to keep the ball in play.

Here’s a top tip for you. At game start shoot 5 walker kills to light Bicycle Girl. Don’t start it yet. Complete the drops to light the modes. Shoot the left ramp at least twice and you will get two weapons towards Horde.

#111 1 year ago

Never played TWD but own a Met Pro since a week or two and doesn’t find it an EASY game.
I rate myself not a very good player (average at best) and made two CIU’s in one game on factory settings.

The left outlane can be a huge pain! Also SDTM’s are quite frequent so moving this machine during gameplay is in my opinion required to receive higher scores. It’s also very fast and the magnets can throw you off.
Friends who come by who aren’t used to playing pinball dont really like the machine.

My highest score is 215mil at the moment by I’m also spending nights not getting past 50mil or something.

#112 1 year ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Are you a passive player ? TWD will chew you up and spit you out if you don’t shake it. I’m not talking about a liberal tilt and throwing the machine around but it needs a lot of nudging to keep the ball in play.
Here’s a top tip for you. At game start shoot 5 walker kills to light Bicycle Girl. Don’t start it yet. Complete the drops to light the modes. Shoot the left ramp at least twice and you will get two weapons towards Horde.

I'm definitely more than willing to nudge, and do it fairly often during a game. I put up a score of 700M the other night, so I do get some decent games going.

But the game definitely makes you work for it. I wouldn't say it's a game you'd go on when you just want to have some fun shooting around.

I'm going to keep it a bit longer to see if it grows on me, otherwise might flip for a MET or Maiden.

#113 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Rai interested to hear your thoughts on IMVE. I'm thinking of getting one. The either is acdc prem but not sure I want to drop the extra cash on it be iron Man.

AcDc premium is likely ~$2000 more expensive game (comparable condition).

If you pay extra for the AcDc premium you are also getting a lot more stuff. I say lower PF is major (I think the rules and scoring could be better but just overall the lower PF is really fun, shoots well it's almost like a game within a game.) I do wish the lower PF was better implemented or both upper and lower PF were active at the same time on occasion. In addition the AcDc premium gets a cannon, drop target bank (x2), swinging bell, crossover ramp, TNT detonator, band member area, train, jukebox. AcDc premium is one of the most loaded Stern pinball machines (comparable to Tspp or PotC).

Also for whatever reason (to me) AcDc premium feels more substantial like it's closer to a B/W machine while some other Stern pins (like Tron, IM, TWD feel less so).

I have to preface this by saying that I am not a high level player. I know the rules of games, but not really high level strategy such as what mode should I play for most points or what multiball to bring into what mode or what stacks best. I more or less play the pins and try my best but don't play a lot so I am probably less advanced player than a lot of people here. I know how to play poker for example and play hold'em better than many novice players but against real good players I'm always overmatched. This is me with pinball, I'm a decent player but not anywhere near a great player.

I will give my overall assessment, what each pin does well and why I like each pin.

IMVE - this is my theme, I was/am a comic book guy, seen all the movies and like the movies, call outs etc.. I compare the rules to SM (lite) or Tron (ish). I mean SM because you battle the villains who are located in specific areas of the PF. Tron (ish) also because you have the center ladder to complete leading you to the wizard mode. I think the Wizards (or mini wizards) are hard enough to get to but not too hard. I am not talking about DOD MB but just DOD hurry up and Jericho MB. I can get to these modes on occasion but I don't play enough to really make a big push or think that I see the Mini Wizard modes too often. I think the rules are great for a medium level player. I like the shots, the flow, the spinners (3) the Iron Monger, the magnets (2) and the kickback. I am not sure if it has a real skill shot also I disable the up-post for the top skill shot because the flow is cleaner without it that it makes the game faster. I set the Monger difficulty to extra hard (needing to hit the spinners to spell every letter of IRON MONGER) and set start Monger to center shot only. When I had a pinball party IMVE was one of the most played pins even though most guys there had one at the time or in the past but it was a great game for multi play.

AcDc premium has a different set of rules for each song (this was great) but rules are a bit complex. I know the basics but not the high level stuff or the best strategy yet. I blame myself more than the game since I own 10-11 pins and really don't play that much, sometimes pins with basic rules (like PotC, IM, Tron) are simpler to grab and go when maybe I didn't play the pin for a month. If I really got serious, I think that AcDc would reward me more if I really took the time to get *all* the rules frontward and backwards. But just playing it on a basic level, shooting the pin plays great, the ramps and the orbits feel great, the lower PF shoots great (mini flippers - great). The basic song rules are fun and like that there is specific shots for each like TNT shot, pop bumpers, roll over shots, spinner etc.. but you can still make progress to other things. I mean just because you are playing a certain song you can still do other things like work on multi balls or combos.

The rules of AcDc (to me) are both the best and worst thing about the game. One hand the rules are kind of hard for casual play (I mean 20+ pages of rules). If I want to explain IM to someone I'll be able to tell them everything in 4 minutes. With AcDc can probably tell about half the rules and the other half I just say I'm not really sure what 'all is the high level game. I think AcDc will be great for me to study and one day get all the little subtle rules and strategy that may keep it more challenging. Playing IM is just the same game every time, complete the inserts progress to Wizard/mini Wizards that's it. I am sure there is more strategy to it such as what order to do what and what to stack with what. But at the core IM is a great beginning game for people who don't really want to memorize 20 pages of rules. I do like rules and to me having games like TWD and AcDc and Woz, Tspp, LotR are great. I need to sit down and get the rules in my memory. But at the same time more casual games like SM, IM, Tron, PotC where you are more or less trying to fill in a set of inserts, these types of games can be satisfying because I can just shoot away and not have to think as much about the rules. I think Metallica is a good blend of the two. Not as complex as AcDc or TWD but not as simple as IM/Tron.

#114 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

but I find there are just so many drains that feel like I had no chance to save them (like the tunnel dropping balls SDTM, and slings spitting balls directly into the gaping outlanes

The pitch and level of the machine is absolutely critical on TWD to keep the tunnel feed from draining SDTM. There is a range where I can have the pitch and have almost 0 drains from that feed, but a small adjustment in either direction creates chaos. As for the slings, on most games, it helps to nudge up on the machine slightly when the ball hits the sling if you think it's going to kick into the outlane on the opposite side. You can also slap from the sides to reduce or increase the sling's affect on the ball. Don't let the slings control the ball.

#115 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

The pitch and level of the machine is absolutely critical on TWD to keep the tunnel feed from draining SDTM. There is a range where I can have the pitch and have almost 0 drains from that feed, but a small adjustment in either direction creates chaos. As for the slings, on most games, it helps to nudge up on the machine slightly when the ball hits the sling if you think it's going to kick into the outlane on the opposite side. You can also slap from the sides to reduce or increase the sling's affect on the ball. Don't let the slings control the ball.

And at what slant do you find that it plays best?

#116 1 year ago

Met pro & TWD Pro are pure pinball fun! TWD is brutal as all hell but I enjoy a game that makes you work for a good score.

As others have said ST pro is also good I just don’t enjoy that theme as much.

#117 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

I'm definitely more than willing to nudge, and do it fairly often during a game. I put up a score of 700M the other night, so I do get some decent games going.
But the game definitely makes you work for it. I wouldn't say it's a game you'd go on when you just want to have some fun shooting around.
I'm going to keep it a bit longer to see if it grows on me, otherwise might flip for a MET or Maiden.

Give it time. It is, as you say, a brutal game but that can be a good thing. I notice you have a LOTR in your collection (I have just sold mine). TWD is the polar opposite of that. It isn’t a journey like LOTR, it is a straight up fight for survival.

#118 1 year ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Give it time. It is, as you say, a brutal game but that can be a good thing. I notice you have a LOTR in your collection (I have just sold mine). TWD is the polar opposite of that. It isn’t a journey like LOTR, it is a straight up fight for survival.

Good point, and I've decided to give it a little more time to see if it grows on me. Hey, what's the worst case scenario here? I realize it's not a game for me, and I flip it for another awesome game. The very definition of first world problems

I actually had my best game of LOTR tonight. Had 5 gifts, and only had Fellowship MB to beat. Was one shot away from starting it a second time, with the other two MBs lit. I'm just getting familiar with the rules, but from my understanding, if I beat that MB, I would have received the 6th gift, and would get to start DTR, which if successful, would have been my shot at Valinor!

Not sure I have it right, and obviously, a lot of things would have had to click to get there, but it's my best run at it, and it was seriously intense!

#119 1 year ago

Back to add to this one a little... Put a few more games on TWD Pro, and although is absolutely brutal and I find myself hitting reset a lot, I still find it to be a lot of fun. I almost feel like if the game was slightly less drainy, it would be pretty much perfect.

But that bring me back to MET. This game seems to have way more flow, and it does a lot of what TWD does in respect to fun.

Nothing to complain about... I have one great game, and I'll eventually decide whether it stays or gets swapped for another great game

#120 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

Back to add to this one a little... Put a few more games on TWD Pro, and although is absolutely brutal and I find myself hitting reset a lot, I still find it to be a lot of fun. I almost feel like if the game was slightly less drainy, it would be pretty much perfect.
But that bring me back to MET. This game seems to have way more flow, and it does a lot of what TWD does in respect to fun.
Nothing to complain about... I have one great game, and I'll eventually decide whether it stays or gets swapped for another great game

They are both unbelievably great games. I would say people that are serious players and very competitive and skillful would like TWD the best and more casual players will like MET thw best. They are both two of the best pinball machines thats ever been made.

#121 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

Good point, and I've decided to give it a little more time to see if it grows on me. Hey, what's the worst case scenario here? I realize it's not a game for me, and I flip it for another awesome game. The very definition of first world problems
I actually had my best game of LOTR tonight. Had 5 gifts, and only had Fellowship MB to beat. Was one shot away from starting it a second time, with the other two MBs lit. I'm just getting familiar with the rules, but from my understanding, if I beat that MB, I would have received the 6th gift, and would get to start DTR, which if successful, would have been my shot at Valinor!
Not sure I have it right, and obviously, a lot of things would have had to click to get there, but it's my best run at it, and it was seriously intense!

You only need to start each of the three multiballs to qualify for Destroy The Ring. You don’t have to complete them.

#122 1 year ago
Quoted from stoptap:

You only need to start each of the three multiballs to qualify for Destroy The Ring. You don’t have to complete them.

Yes but I would have needed to beat that multiball to have all three of them completed for Valinor.

What I didn't realize is that there was a seventh gift needed. So I needed one more gift and I needed to complete that last multiballs and of course destroy the ring and I would have been there.

Definitely still a lot to do. But I'm determined to get this damn thing.

#123 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

They are both unbelievably great games. I would say people that are serious players and very competitive and skillful would like TWD the best and more casual players will like MET thw best. They are both two of the best pinball machines thats ever been made.

That was my experience. I appreciate TWD is better, but enjoy MET far more.

#124 1 year ago

There is a TWD pro on location near my house that I play now and then. I'm still learning the rules but game just seems unfair with cheap drains. It's pretty frustrating to plunge, stdm drain, ball save plunge, and immediately drain again without being able to touch the ball with a flipper. I do like the different layout and it does have that x factor that keeps you coming back. Just need to learn the rules better.

MET is still Stern's best in my book. Basic rules are easy to understand and there is a lot of things to shoot for once you understand the deeper rules. Game just gets amazing when you get coffin mb mixed with another mb plus other modes running all at the same time. CUI modes are the best in pinball. Relatively easy to get to and huge risk/reward. Just a solid fun game. I don't care for the theme much at all but gameplay is fantastic. Pro is great value and premium/le worthy upgrade.

I had a ST pro for a few years but it is gone. Great game but doesn't feel as complete/balanced as MET. My biggest complaint was that there was not much to do between modes and starting a mode is a tough shot. Most of the modes were long and required a lot of shots. Just got a bit stale after a while. Love that warp ramp shot, though.

#125 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

Yes but I would have needed to beat that multiball to have all three of them completed for Valinor.
What I didn't realize is that there was a seventh gift needed. So I needed one more gift and I needed to complete that last multiballs and of course destroy the ring and I would have been there.
Definitely still a lot to do. But I'm determined to get this damn thing.

Did you get to There And Back Again ?

#126 1 year ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

That was my experience. I appreciate TWD is better, but enjoy MET far more.

For sure, TWD you have to be serious and ready to play or it will eat you up, no casual playing on that bad boy. MET however is more relaxing and fun seems like to me. You dont have to fight it the whole time you're playing it.

#127 1 year ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Did you get to There And Back Again ?

Yup.

1 week later
#128 1 year ago

good...
Metallica is a great game ... fast and fun ... with good add-ons in the game like the avataible targets etc ... but from my personal opinion twd is something brutal, I have the pro version at home since I have a month or so and it is true that at first it causes hate ... hahahaha, but when you start to dominate it a bit you realize the great machine it is, it has 3 very tight shots that are difficult to achieve but when the game starts to flow and you realize perfect shots, the game goes to another level, very exciting risky and satisfying, the comvinacion modes, multiball and murders zombies is crazy ... for my opinion as you will see, I prefer it to metallica, it is a game sensation that only this machine has been produced

20180514_130626 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#129 1 year ago

Got myself a TWD yesterday so gonna find out myself how TWD handles against MET.

It are both great pins in their own way for sure.

9B7006C9-19E2-426C-A99C-39DA4F5D843F (resized).jpeg
#130 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Got myself a TWD yesterday so gonna find out myself how TWD handles against MET.

I think TWD is the better game because of its great code mainly but i they are both two of the best pinball machines that have ever been made and i feel very fortunate to be lucky enough to have them both in my collection. Neither game will ever leave my collection i can tell you that right now.

#131 1 year ago

I picked up a twd premium and just can't stop playing it. Most of my other games are just collecting dust right now. Twd is so freaking good, especially with the Cleland sound and randomKG music added. The game is hard but is fair and makes you work for big scores. The game is a keeper.

#132 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Amazing collection you have there Rens!

1 week later
#133 1 year ago

Man, TWD can be frustrating but it really has this one more game feeling

Difficult to compare them, they are so different. Both great in their own way. MET is for sure easier to play, with TWD it’s more concentration from start to end and focus on the shots.

#134 1 year ago

Is it just me, or does it feel like 80% of the time that the ball heads to the outlanes, it is pretty much a guaranteed drain!

Maybe it's the way I have mine set (I'm at 6.5 degrees) but I feel like it's hard to string together a good game because the drains are so brutal in this game.

We're talking about TWD here if you haven't guessed

#135 1 year ago

Controlling the ball is so important on TWD .if ball goes side to side you can be in trouble,, I try to catch and hold especially in multi_ball. Then line up shots. If you just slap ball around on this game you are dead. I prefer hard games like BSD and Shadow.TWD sure fits that bill. Also nice to have some not do hard games to balance the collection. For me TWD is a Stern masterpiece with all shots very satisfying.I like MET too but i got tired of it and sold it.

#136 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

Is it just me, or does it feel like 80% of the time that the ball heads to the outlanes, it is pretty much a guaranteed drain!
Maybe it's the way I have mine set (I'm at 6.5 degrees) but I feel like it's hard to string together a good game because the drains are so brutal in this game.
We're talking about TWD here if you haven't guessed

Yeah the outlands on my pro feel like they have a vacuum attached to them

#137 1 year ago
Quoted from davijc02:

Yeah the outlands on my pro feel like they have a vacuum attached to them

So true and trying to nudge it out of the lane is almost impossible.

#138 1 year ago
Quoted from doublestack:

So true and trying to nudge it out of the lane is almost impossible.

I’ve shaken the shit out of my machine and maybe saved a couple.

#139 1 year ago

Funny, after almost feeling like I was ready to sell TWD, I play one game this evening and get 651M and 74 zombie kills!

This game makes you feel like you're bipolar!

#140 1 year ago

TWD all day long.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
La Verne, CA
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside