Topic poll

“which to buy”

• Avengers LE blue HUO 23 votes
    40%
  • TWD Pro NIB 35 votes
    60%

(58 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
100_0185-676.JPG
100_0185.JPG

#1 5 years ago

Looking for opinions. Both are about the same price shipped. I'm looking to buy one of the two this week. I've only played a couple games on a Hulk about a year ago, and about 6 games of TWD on location.

#2 5 years ago

look at older posts....tons of info both machines....Should play em both before deciding...

#3 5 years ago

Avengers you know what it is...code is prob not going to get another update. If you've played it and like it, you can buy with confidence.

TWD could morph and change over the year as Lyman hones it. Buy if you like it enough now and don't mind waiting for updates.

#4 5 years ago

Between those two, TWD no question.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Avengers you know what it is...code is prob not going to get another update. If you've played it and like it, you can buy with confidence.
TWD could morph and change over the year as Lyman hones it. Buy if you like it enough now and don't mind waiting for updates.

I mentioned it before but you think there's a chance they'd do a code tweak sometime next year to coinside with the next Avengers movie?

#6 5 years ago

If you wanna buy now I'd go Twd pro
Though the code is still weak, in a year it will probably be a better game

#7 5 years ago

Neither. I want to stop with that one word answer, but of course that doesn't answer anything. But really it does. I've played all 4, LE and Pro of both. They just lack great shots. They are "fine" games, and like any game they will have fans, shills, and haters.

Avengers is done. They won't update it, so we can call it complete. And for me the issue was never the software. I thought they did better than their normal with it. But it has quirky shots. Even dialed in, fixing Loki, fixing Hulk, the game just doesn't deliver.

TWD is kind of a hot mess. Lots of cheap drains. Right off the prison magnet and SDTM. Slow off the pops, right down the middle. And the hillbilly, along with no vocals from the show, and not the shows music. Run of the mill ruleset. Bash bash bash. It is a great theme that Stern failed on.

On location if they were sitting next to each other I'd dump quarters into TWD in a heartbeat. It's newer and more fun that Avengers. It also won't need to be tweaked as much to play OK. But I wouldn't bring either of them into my house.

Looking over your collection, it's a tough one. You own some great games, and have owned a bunch of great ones.

#8 5 years ago

AVLE was worth trying but I got it at a good price and it was gone 2 weeks later. TWD all the way.

#9 5 years ago

I played both tonight and for me there is no question. Just check the ratings I put in tonight. TWD is a total winner here. I played the Avengers Hulk edition and while looking great the game play got boring.

#10 5 years ago

I'd do TWD pro, it's a better game and when you decide to sell it later down the road someone will actually want to buy it near what you paid for it. Avengers is a GREAT looking game, for sure! The game is DOA!

#11 5 years ago

I'll be the odd man out and say Avengers LE. I've owned both of these games and I personally enjoyed avengers a lot more than I am enjoying TWD. Sure it might get better down the road, but right now I'd pick Avengers for sure. There's a lot of hate for that game, but I enjoy it a lot more than some of the other popular Sterns that are out there. Just my 2 cents.

#12 5 years ago

It seems harsh but I share Daveh's views and reasons, at least for now. May be TWD plays better when properly dialed in and after code update.

At least consider alternatives before buying... Bring LOTR back in the House? Add cash and buy AMH? Get a Mustang pro?

#13 5 years ago

Buy low. AVLE now and TWD later.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

It seems harsh but I share Daveh's views and reasons, at least for now. May be TWD plays better when properly dialed in and after code update.
At least consider alternatives before buying... Bring LOTR back in the House? Add cash and buy AMH? Get a Mustang pro?

I agree, it was harsh. And I normally wouldn't say "Niether" in a thread like this. It is usually someone asking advice from the community to help clarify a decision they are trying to make. They are looking for reasons to go in one direction or the other. And looking at his collection and past collection didn't really yield much because he has owned or owns so many great machines.

One thing I wanted to suggest was maybe bring in an early Solid State game, but these two choices would probably get a bit lost in the collection.

HOWEVER, maybe you would also end up being one of the fans of them. Avengers does have true fans. The ones that say "Who cares, I like it". I'm a fan of Transformers myself, and that game gets ranked on pretty hard as well. TWD is just "The new guy". I giggle when someone says it could be Stern's best game. A rating that high takes years to achieve, and it needs to be better than Stern's current top machines of the past decade. Almost any machine can be "The best game ever" for a week, but it takes a gem of a game to earn that title for years.

OP, these are not games to bring in lightly. I guess that is what I wanted to say. They need more than a few games to really appreciate. Niether of them are instant wins. So from all that, it just comes down to which one you have more fun playing. There is no "OMG, wait until you destroy the ring" type thing here.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

OP, these are not games to bring in lightly. I guess that is what I wanted to say. They need more than a few games to really appreciate. Niether of them are instant wins. So from all that, it just comes down to which one you have more fun playing. There is no "OMG, wait until you destroy the ring" type thing here.

Look, buying a pinball machine for multiple thousands shouldn't be taken lightly if you can't afford it, but really, this isn't a life and death proposition. I think pinball should be taken lightly, and if more people did so a game like Avengers would have far more fans and a lot less pundits.

And who says Avengers can't be an instant win? If you play it and like it, there you go! But you have to actually play it. It actually takes me awhile to like/love/respect any machine, which is why ill never understand the "played it twice, what a turd, didn't even finish the game". Sorry, but I'm going to rely on more than attention deficit disorder to judge a game.

People that consider 1) other peoples opinions and 2) resale value before their own taste and experience are doing themselves and the hobby a disservice. Just as much as those that plop down there $ on a NIB without trying it. But it seems to happen a lot. Over and over in fact.

Be a sheep or be a wolf. Wolves have more fun. Wolves probably like Avengers more too.

#16 5 years ago

Thanks for all the great feedback! I'm leaning TWD pro, but based on some comments here I'm going to try to exercise some self restraint. There is really no rush to buy a pro. I have already done the code wait thing with Metallica and Star Trek.

#17 5 years ago

Look at it this way:

Avengers isn't going to get any better (and that's a shame). The game needs too much tweaking out of the box to get it running right, and the game is just a grind.

TWD isn't perfect, but it's got potential with Lyman at the helm.

But I agree with your restraint. If you're not going for an LE, no harm in waiting for the code to get better in a year. Who knows, maybe something better will be coming from Stern before then.

#18 5 years ago

HUO TAV LEs have probably bottomed out on price, so get a used one, play it for a while and sell it when you get bored of it with little risk. Plus it's likely a previous owner did the necessary tweaks and mods already installed.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Look, buying a pinball machine for multiple thousands shouldn't be taken lightly if you can't afford it, but really, this isn't a life and death proposition. I think pinball should be taken lightly, and if more people did so a game like Avengers would have far more fans and a lot less pundits.
And who says Avengers can't be an instant win? If you play it and like it, there you go! But you have to actually play it. It actually takes me awhile to like/love/respect any machine, which is why ill never understand the "played it twice, what a turd, didn't even finish the game". Sorry, but I'm going to rely on more than attention deficit disorder to judge a game.
People that consider 1) other peoples opinions and 2) resale value before their own taste and experience are doing themselves and the hobby a disservice. Just as much as those that plop down there $ on a NIB without trying it. But it seems to happen a lot. Over and over in fact.
Be a sheep or be a wolf. Wolves have more fun. Wolves probably like Avengers more too.

Says the guy who's been trying to sell his blue AVLE for 3 months...

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

HUO TAV LEs have probably bottomed out on price, so get a used one, play it for a while and sell it when you get bored of it with little risk. Plus it's likely a previous owner did the necessary tweaks and mods already installed.

Sorry but there is risk. AVLE, especially the blue, has proved to be a tough sell...

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Sorry but there is risk. AVLE, especially the blue, has proved to be a tough sell...

I've always thought the blue one looks better.

#22 5 years ago

My thought after owning Avengers and playing TWD a number of times is that it really depends on which theme you may like better. I've enjoyed playing both games, neither are favorites by any means, but I've owned a Hulk and now AV pro because the theme appeals to me. I have no interest in having TWD in my house because I've never watched the show (not to mention that my wife may doesn't want our six year old playing it).

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've always thought the blue one looks better.

I don't disagree, it's a beautiful pin!

#24 5 years ago

I have not played TWD enough to rate it, I do think it's a nice looking pin and I love the show. I just picked up an Avengers LE (Hulk) and am enjoying it a lot. Its a shooters pin with tight shots and great lighting, with a layout all its own like really nothing else. I do understand why people dislike the pin as it does take some dialing in (even when dialed in people may not like it). I'm kind of thankful its not more popular as I probably could not afford one at this time if it was. I think considering the price of LEs and other pins as well now, you get great value for your money.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Says the guy who's been trying to sell his blue AVLE for 3 months...

When you don't bump your own for sale thread in 3 months, does the word "trying" really apply? Dude, give it a rest already. Take your hard on for me elsewhere. Really.

#26 5 years ago

Avengers is great !!100_0185-676.JPG

100_0185.JPG
#27 5 years ago

The blue sure is pretty!

#28 5 years ago

Not to derail but I looked at your killer collection and something was missing-AC/DC Premium-pure sweetness right out of the box. Also huge crowd pleaser

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Avengers is great !!

100_0185.JPG 212 KB

100_0185-676.JPG 212 KB

Great job with the LEDs! Is that stock or did you redo the LEDs?

#30 5 years ago

Now if you could just fix the play issue.

#31 5 years ago

I really tried to like my AVLE Blue but just couldn't get into it, maybe if you're a big Avengers fan then then gameplay and layout could be overlooked. Glad I tried it out but more glad that I was able to sell it with out a major loss which is why I think a lot of guy's will hold onto it, less than 5000 now for an LE.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Now if you could just fix the play issue.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I really tried to like my AVLE Blue but just couldn't get into it, maybe if you're a big Avengers fan then then gameplay and layout could be overlooked. Glad I tried it out but more glad that I was able to sell it with out a major loss which is why I think a lot of guy's will hold onto it, less than 5000 now for an LE.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Great job with the LEDs! Is that stock or did you redo the LEDs?

That's stock. 3 color zones. Looks like Xmas though...much better if you replace the greens (except behind Hulk) with Warm white.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Not to derail but I looked at your killer collection and something was missing-AC/DC Premium-pure sweetness right out of the box. Also huge crowd pleaser

I know it is a very popular pin. I just was not able to get into it. If I did get one I would want the Luci ver. and that would not fly at my house with two little girls.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

+1 but only after buying a SM first though. Would love to play blimpey's RAZA too...didn't even know it was out ♥

#37 4 years ago

So much for self restraint. Just ordered a TWD pro from Cointaker. There was some self restraint involved I did not order the LE.

#38 4 years ago

well done, the Poll does not lie

3 weeks later
#39 4 years ago

So how do you feel about your decision now that you've had it a couple weeks? Was it the right way to go?

#40 4 years ago

I'm happy with TWD. Glad I got the pro on this release vs the LE. Now that there is a Premium option I would still choose the pro. Should have my Alt translite and Stern Fish Tank topper soon.

image.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside