Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Radagast
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Gave it another shot and put a few bucks in. Just don't get it. Does the ball seem to stay in the bumper area just too much? Also over half the time it comes STDM out of the pops just like KISS. Is this a Stern thing? I actually locked the ball on the magnet a few times and every single time it released it went straight down the middle. WTF? Had my GF and a pinball friend and we all 100% lost interest. Plays just like my KISS. Im really losing faith in Stern designs. Im stuck with my KISS cause of the theme but don't think I would ever buy another one.

#2 3 years ago

I started timing the magnet and nudging as it releases, otherwise it drains down the middle.

#3 3 years ago

A correctly setup machine wont have the ball drain from the pops that much, mine hardly did it at all. There is also a trick of putting a rubber on the ball guide to prevent this too.

When the ball is on the magnet, double flip during the DMD animation to make the magnet pulse and release the ball, sometimes it will go straight upwards and hit the zombie head in the prison doors and give you free progression to the multiball.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Im really losing faith in Stern designs. Im stuck with my KISS cause of the theme but don't think I would ever buy another one.

Not all Stern designs are created equal.

I've been having the same issues with TWD. Everyone says how great it is, and I played it 20 times yesterday to really give it another shot. I finally determined that I like the LE better than the Pro, and I don't like either of them. It just doesn't do it for me. I hate the cheap drains, even on made shots. Make a solid barn shot, and you can drain on the return SDTM. The one thing I did learn was that I love the tilt warning sound as you try to get a slap save on the ball.

But the reason I say not all Stern designs are created equal is that even though I don't like TWD, Stern has put out some amazing and fun designs as well. After my time on TWD Pro I jumped onto GOT, and was happy again. Then I followed it up with Tron, IM, AC/DC, ST, and the day turned out fun. It is just a matter of picking the right games.

#5 3 years ago

Never played TWD LE or Prem

I like ST very much. played a couple different GOT machines and realized if you don't hit a ramp its STDM. The GF said she will never give it another shot.

Seems like some Sterns just have automatic kill shots. When you play a game for the first few times you don't realize you have to smack it every time it hits the magnet. Doesn't make for a good play experience at all.

#6 3 years ago

I play one all the time at the local arcade and occasionally it will drain from pops and magnet. I think it's part of the challenge of the game. You just never know what it's going to do. If I had it in my home I would set it steep and with a loose tilt. The pops remind me of my whitewater. I just never knew what that ball was going to do when it came out of there. Twd is a hard but awesome pin if setup correctly.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

I like ST very much. played a couple different GOT machines and realized if you don't hit a ramp its STDM.

I've played a few, and I've never noticed this to be that bad on GOT. Missing the center usually hits the end of the right flipper and then bounces over.

TWD on the other hand, don't make it all the way up the Crossbow ramp, and your ball is a walker SDTM.

Quoted from joekiss:

Seems like some Sterns just have automatic kill shots. When you play a game for the first few times you don't realize you have to smack it every time it hits the magnet. Doesn't make for a good play experience at all.

Some games are more brutal than others. Sometimes a brutal game can be amazing (Iron Man), but it should come with a warning sticker

#8 3 years ago

Hit the flippers together to cancel out the magnet animation on the DMD. It will nearly always zig zag when released form the magnet if you do that. Don't know why, but it worked for me.

You need to do some homework on TWD owner's thread. Lots of answers there to your questions.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Gave it another shot and put a few bucks in. Just don't get it. Does the ball seem to stay in the bumper area just too much? Also over half the time it comes STDM out of the pops just like KISS.

I only came here to see how long it took you to mention your KISS SDTM...shocked it took you 4 sentences.
Anyway, as said above set up right it shouldn't drain...but are you people just sitting there watching this happen?
I mean, you are nudging the damn thing right? Gives it a bump on the right side if it's going SDTM.

#10 3 years ago

This game forces you to nudge! Don't and you're f'd! And there are a tonne of cheap drains too. I've left all my outlines factory and the same with the feed from the pops too I like the brutal nature of the game. Last night I played for a hour and probably put 20+ games on it with my best being high 100mil maybe 200mil if I was lucky! I had 2 or 3 games in a row where I started a dead feature and then drained the fking thing a second later! Talk about a lesson in futility! But then I had a game a couple of nights ago where I got to horde and all was happy with the world and I put up 620 mil or so! Just remember you've got to nudge, nudge and then nudge a little more! This is not a game where you can have the tilt uber sensitive or you'll definitely sell it in a heartbeat

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Gave it another shot and put a few bucks in. Just don't get it. Does the ball seem to stay in the bumper area just too much? Also over half the time it comes STDM out of the pops just like KISS. Is this a Stern thing? I actually locked the ball on the magnet a few times and every single time it released it went straight down the middle. WTF? Had my GF and a pinball friend and we all 100% lost interest. Plays just like my KISS. Im really losing faith in Stern designs. Im stuck with my KISS cause of the theme but don't think I would ever buy another one.

First off, it can't be SDTM out of the pops. That's impossible. SDTM stands for "straight down the middle". The pops are off to the right so it's and angled shot. There are chances to hit the ball on those angled shots if timed right.

Unfortunately, some machines exhibit this way more than others. I've owned 3 TWD and of those 1 was a terrible offender of this and the other two are not. None of my games sent the ball SDTM consistently from the prison magnet.

Twd is a fairly brutal game and these issues zap all the fun away but when they're solved the game is gold. Best rule set ever written in my opinion.

#12 3 years ago

Ive asked many times if this is a good business method. Most of the people here are advanced players. I get it. When youre in a bar with friends you really don't want to start slamming a machine. Also non-experienced players don't know how to play like this and are just turned off. As a TWD fan I was very interested in this pin but after playing 4-5 different ones I just have no interest in ever getting one. Also have no more interest in putting a buck in for a game or two to figure out the flaws the game has.

I set my pins up and deeply enjoy having people over to play them. Most are definitely non-pinheads, kids, etc. It gets embarrassing having to explain the gene head on KISS. Usually after a play or 2 interest is lost and they move to another machine. My DE LW3 still gets played more by average people than my KISS for just 1 reason-its more fun. KISS might be 100% prettier and newer but most of the younger players prefer T2. Ive had more than one hardcore KISS fan play my Stern KISS and after a few games have a sigh of relief that they didn't buy one. Usually the gene head is the main culprit. Mine still gets jammed up all of the time also.

Yes I compare it to my crappy Stern Kiss. Seems to be a pattern. I cant think of a Bally/Williams or DE having such an awful feature such as the STDM gene head.

#13 3 years ago

TWD is certainly not for the timid or easily broken players. You have to play all angles to have good games. That means perfectly aimed shots, timing, nudging, strategy, and a dialed in table. There is little margin for error and that can be very frustrating to many players. Its got to be one of the most difficult games to regain ball control when you mess up a shot. I find the game super addictive though. I will play 20 games back to back just in an effort to get that one game where things start to line up (my skills) and its 2nd to none when you can achieve that on this game. I typically don't make it through 5+ games on my other pins before I'm feeling like its time to move on. The trick is you have to be able to endure the many punishing games to get to those few awesome games, but at least each game is quick! I do wish the ball spent a little less time in the pops. Too me it is the one flaw the table has.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Usually the gene head is the main culprit. Mine still gets jammed up all of the time also.
Yes I compare it to my crappy Stern Kiss. Seems to be a pattern. I cant think of a Bally/Williams or DE having such an awful feature such as the STDM gene head.

I don't have a kiss. I hate the layout and theme. The software isn't great so totally out on kiss. However, it sounds like you need to tweak your game so it doesn't behave this way. I'm sure those issues are solved by other kiss owners. Rather than accepting a game is frustrating you, fix it so it's not.

As for comparisons, data east *is* stern so no point comparing those. But Star Trek the next generation can have the most frustrating outlanes in pinball. I've seen cirqus Voltaire that the center ring master loop always sends the ball SDTM and you can't shoot them unless the boom balloon is up. I've seen no fears with similar problems on the track shot. Totan can drop the ball SDTM after holding on the magnet for a mode start. Tz pop bumpers send the ball out the left outlane constantly

#15 3 years ago

TWD gets fun once you can do well enough to set up some good mode-multiball crossovers, and the payoff is that 5x tunnel completion for 80+ Million!

If the place is still running launch code though, forget about it. It took a couple updates for this to be a good player and to balance out some scoring oddities.

Really though, it's hard, stupid hard, and punishes you for starting and failing things by making it harder and harder. Figuring out how to deal with that pop bumper feed can be bad, though, depending on the setup. Try slapping the right side of the cabinet while it's in the pops and/or coming out of the pops, you don't even need to nudge-nudge.

The drop targets are also unintuitive, mean, and extremely important, not newbie friendly at all.

#16 3 years ago

TWD is a players pin. If you are looking to appease family and friends, get a RFM, LW3, ACDC, JP, TZ, or TAF.

TWD and BSD are two of the most vicious and mean games out there. IM completes that trifecta of pain.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

TWD is a players pin. If you are looking to appease family and friends, get a RFM, LW3, ACDC, JP, TZ, or TAF.
TWD and BSD are two of the most vicious and mean games out there. IM completes that trifecta of pain.

Despite what many seem to say here, I don't find BSD to be difficult or mean at all. Yes, if you make bad shots it often punishes you, but the good shots are easier to make and safer on the return than many made shots in TWD. TWD is "vicious and mean", making BSD look like child's play IMO. The layout (pops, drops, etc.) and magnets tend to deliver cheap drains more often than I'd prefer, but enough time with the game helps significantly. As a fairly average player myself, I'm not confidant I would have ever gotten to Horde if I didn't own the machine (especially with most location set ups). Once I finally got my skills up to where I could reach Horde, switching back to MET made me feel like I was invincible (I really can't believe how much TWD improved my ball control and consistency).

I currently have a Williams post sleeve to the left of the right ramp where the ball exits the pops (and a small piece of felt in the tunnel to make barn loops clean [took a couple tries to get it perfect]). Those modifications alone made the game considerably more fun, if perhaps slightly cheating in a way, but the pros outweigh the cons at home for me.

As others have noted, the double flip trick works wonders with the ball on the magnet. The way it responds feels like a feature to me. You can properly time your flip and hit the zombie, or do nothing/improperly time the shot and die. Once used to the timing, it's very consistent on my machine. Makes it feel like you're actively fighting against the zombie.

Ultimately, the game has very detailed rules (more than meets the eye at first) that take a longer time to understand than most. I personally have an issue getting into a new machine until I understand enough to make good shots and know where I'm headed for a good score. This just takes longer with TWD, and without some prior experience, I may agree with the OP that it perhaps isn't worth the cost to figure it out if there are other good games to play at the location. But as for owning it, I'd say it's entirely worth it as the mods to fix the issues noted can be done for under $2 to make the game play like it should have from the factory. After several custom audio changes, the game is the most immersive I've played (at least in regard to the Prem/LE).

#18 3 years ago

I think a part of the trouble is that TWD is not necessarily a great location game. It needs to be set up carefully, which will be difficult to maintain on location. It does produce frustrating games, which are worse when they're costing you money. Gameplay benefits greatly from a loose tilt given some of the rough angles against which the player needs to defend, and most location machines (justifiably) have a tighter tilt. The shots are almost all tight and difficult to make, so it takes a lot of repetition to get skilled with it, which can impractical/expensive on location.

However, for home use, the depth/complexity of the rules and the challenge level really make the game a great fit for me. Of course everyone likes different things and you may never like it, but if you have a chance to play a well-tuned game in the home environment with custom sounds and the lights off...It's a pretty different experience.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 199.99
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
4,600 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Elmwood Park, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 16.00
$ 199.99
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
Sale Pending!
Gardner, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside