New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 243986)

TWD Pro or ToM

By Isjack

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by roar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“TWD Pro or ToM”

• Theatre of Magic 29 votes
    25%
  • TWD Pro 85 votes
    75%

(114 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

785A4770-B191-43B9-942F-2C7B44E95F39 (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Thinking about a shakeup of the lineup. Which would you rather own and why?

#2 1 year ago

Wow that’s rough. TOM is a beautiful magical game that’s probably a little too easy, TWD is kinda nasty looking and maybe a bit too hard. Both fun tho.

My wife loves TOM so we have one.

#3 1 year ago

Every time I buy a game I tell myself 'nobody else plays these as much as I do, they should be for me' and then people come over and gravitate to the one (in this case ToM) that I bought for 'everyone else.' It makes it difficult to sell off the stuff I don't like as much.

#4 1 year ago

As a TWD owner, I would say... TWD. But that's just my opinion man.

#5 1 year ago

I love ToM. A friend owned a beautiful one for a long time. He eventually sold it because we would consistently “finish” the game. I have owned a TWD for a couple years now and have no desire to sell it. It is a very challenging game, but gets played a little more than the rest of my games because of the difficulty. I don’t think you can go wrong with either in a decent size collection.

#6 1 year ago

TOM is a great older title but for me TWD is a much better game.

#7 1 year ago

Step it up to a used TWD Premium and that would get my vote. Cleland sound rom a must.

#8 1 year ago

I’ve owned and sold both recently.
I’d rather have a TOM over TWD.

#9 1 year ago

Just sticking @ the Pro, since that's how the budget looks at the moment. Walker bomb worth $2k?

#10 1 year ago

Get both, can't go wrong with that

But serious: both are great games so play them and buy the one you like the most

#11 1 year ago

ToM is log gone as it got boring fairly quickly. However, women love that one. If that is a consideration, go ToM. If it is just for you, the other pin makes more sense.

#12 1 year ago

Nothing shoots better than TOM. It has lasted the longest in my collection and have no intention of letting it go anytime soon. That said, if I capped things at 3 it would be ancient history by now!

You'll have a ton of fun with a TWD pro, and if you hold out for a deal you'll lose little, if any, money when it comes time to sell/trade. I owned a TWD premium, definitely didn't think it was worth the extra dollars. Pro has a smoother left ramp and I did not care for the crossbow. Walker bombs are great... as is the red/white GI, but not 2k great.

#13 1 year ago

Walking Dead all the way tough game with a great rule set I know TOM is a fan favorite I never have liked it personally as I will sit there for hours shooting the left orbit grinding out points.

#14 1 year ago

TWD pro would be my choice.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I will sit there for hours shooting the left orbit grinding out points.

Hey that’s the best part!

Probably explains my attraction to DP Premium

#16 1 year ago

Also I would be sticking with 3 games -- looks like that might be the deciding factor? ToM for a larger collection, TWD for a smaller one?

#17 1 year ago

My vote is TWD such a great game but ide rather have a game that is on the difficult side of things. Tom is a lot of fun too though, can’t go wrong with either.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Isjack:

Thinking about a shakeup of the lineup. Which would you rather own and why?

Best game ever made, or TOM?

I’d go with TWD. Game is pure awesomeness. It will make you a better player. Everyone needs to own TWD for at least a year. Haha

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Isjack:

Just sticking @ the Pro, since that's how the budget looks at the moment. Walker bomb worth $2k?

Definitely not worth the money, but the premium is a much more fun game.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Isjack:

I think the pro plays better and as for walker bombs since I never had them I don't miss them.

#21 1 year ago

I’d go with TWD Pro and another system 11 with the cash left over. You may even have enough left for another DMD versus what ToMs go for.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Nothing shoots better than TOM.

785A4770-B191-43B9-942F-2C7B44E95F39 (resized).png
#23 1 year ago

Love my TWD but that game is an ass kicker and not for the faint of heart, only game I've considered setting to five ball play.

#24 1 year ago

One is relaxing and fun, the other just repeatedly punches you in the nuts...but you come back for more.

#25 1 year ago

To me it's not even close. TOM is a cool game, but TWD is a masterpiece!

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Definitely not worth the money, but the premium is a much more fun game.

The left ramp/crossbow both seem to ruin the flow, much like the upper playfield on GoT and BKSoR Premiums, less can sometimes be more.

What am I missing?

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Isjack:

The left ramp/crossbow both seem to ruin the flow, much like the upper playfield on GoT and BKSoR Premiums, less can sometimes be more.
What am I missing?

Nothing. TWD Pro is pure ass kicking goodness. Ours is bolted to the floor.

#28 1 year ago

Theatre of Magic.

Great game. Awesome modes. Terrific theme.
The toys and gimmicks are second to none.
It is also rated higher in the pinside top 100. I know there are some that dobt like that as a guideline, but it is compiled by thousands of individual scores...and the masses have spoken.

If we were discussing the TWD premium this would be much tougher (I would still pick ToM, however), but ToM is MUCH better than the pro.

#29 1 year ago

I traded a TOM for a TWD premium...there are times I regret since the price of the TOM keeps going up but TWD is a pretty amazing pin...always keeps me coming back and kicks me in the balls daily. TOM got honestly kind of boring...

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Isjack:

What am I missing?

You haven’t played it a lot. It’s nothing like those other two examples.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You haven’t played it a lot. It’s nothing like those other two examples.

We have/had one on route here in Minneapolis. I really think the Pro plays better because of the ramp/crossbow, but the games were on route. At home it can obviously be much different.

What are the other differences that makes premium so much better than pro?

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Isjack:

At home it can obviously be much different.

Bingo. Every stern premium plays better at home. They all need minor to major tweaks to be dialed in.

Walker bombs add tons of strategy to the game. The spinners allow you to take advantage of switch based modes more.

Stacking cdc and bicycle girl on the prem is a lot more fun imo, but the up down ramp of the prem is the only thing I’d change.

Light show leaves pro in the dust especially in horde.

The crossbow mode might as well not be in the pro. Not fun at all.

If you don’t care about any of those things, then that makes the decision easy. Go Pro.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from Isjack:

What are the other differences that makes premium so much better than pro?

Walker bombs is the biggest difference, and main reason I would never buy a pro over a premium/LE. They fundamentally change the game and make it more fun, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong. I still think TWD pro is a phenomenal game, I just think the premium/LE is the better option.

#34 1 year ago

I owned a TOM for about 5 months. The layout is excellent, but the code just left a lot to be desired. Once you realize you shoot the left orbit and build the bonus X the game gets really boring. My 7 year old loved the game and it was hard to get rid of because of that, but it just had to go.

Once TOM was out the door I bought a TWD pro. This is by far the most difficult game I have ever played (yes I have a small sample size compared to a lot of people here). The code is excellent and definitely gives you the one more play feeling. Make no mistake about it though, if you go with TWD be prepared to get frustrated.

If I were to choose between the 2 again, it would hands down be TWD pro, especially when you factor in their prices.

#35 1 year ago

I've owned both. Bought ToM then bougth TWD Pro a month later. ToM has been long sold and TWD is still here.

ToM is an excellent shooter and the trunk is a cool toy. It's definitely a good game to introduce new people to pinball if they've never played before (or people that play only occasionally and aren't pinheads). It's pretty and shoots well, but beyond that there's not much. There's very little meaning to any of the modes throughout the game. It's pretty shallow and there's no incentive to play anything out. The wizard mode is pretty mediocre and anti-climactic. Plus it's got terrible virtual pinball video mode....

TWD Pro is an excellent game. Top 5 for me. The modes have meaning, and you'll want to work through them in order to earn weapons for Horde, which imo, is one of the best wizard modes of all time. Hooked up to a sub, it gets your blood pumping. And there are other wizard modes besides that! Set it up properly, and you won't have SDTM pop drains. The occasional prison magnet drain can be frustrating. If you're draining a lot, set it up better, and play better

I could do without the crossbow. The walker bombs feel like cheating to me

#36 1 year ago

I was done with TOM after the first week I had it, kept it a little longer just because it was decked out and looked great. Miss my TWD

#37 1 year ago

FYI - differences between TWD Premium and Pro...
- Crossbow Toy
- Well Walker Magnet
- Bicycle Girl Lift Ramp - converts to bash toy
- Barn Spinner
- Woodbury Spinner
- RGB Mode Inserts
- Color Changing GI
- Lockdown Bar Button - Walker Bombs

#38 1 year ago

I always wanted a TOM, but everyone I came across was in the category of stupid expensive and done up with leds like it was on its way to the rainbow puke ball.
I bought a nib TWD pro cheaper than a tarted up TOM.
Then, last year on an excursion to the city, I came across a TOM and finished it in an afternoon of games.
Would still own one in a heart beat, but don't think I'd give up my TWD pro for it.

And as for the crossbow shot being pointless on the pro... it just adds to the game, on the prem it's like you've got training wheels to help make the shot

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Bingo. Every stern premium plays better at home. They all need minor to major tweaks to be dialed in.
Walker bombs add tons of strategy to the game. The spinners allow you to take advantage of switch based modes more.
Stacking cdc and bicycle girl on the prem is a lot more fun imo, but the up down ramp of the prem is the only thing I’d change.
If you don’t care about any of those things, then that makes the decision easy. Go Pro.

This this and this. Premium is the only way to really get the full experience and I wouldn't have it any other way
This is from someone who owned both. Def pass on a pro. Now if this was idmn, I'm pro all the way.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The spinners allow you to take advantage of switch based modes more.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you or someone clarify?

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

This this and this. Premium is the only way to really get the full experience and I wouldn't have it any other way
This is from someone who owned both. Def pass on a pro. Now if this was idmn, I'm pro all the way.

I've had fun on the pro on location, but for home I love the Premium. Nothing really slows it down. It's more dangerous with the extra magnet and bicycle girl ramp, but I think the crossbow is cool. No effing way I'd make the Tunnel shot w/it though.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Think that would be bloodbath when switches are worth more points -- typically shoot for the pop bumpers, but having the spinners activate [x] number of times is also a valid strategy.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Well walker jackpots are based off switch hits. Get them ready faster by hitting spinners.

Riot’s mode shot value is based on switch hits. Hit spinners to build value faster.

Blood bath too. On top of multiball, it’s a frenzy mode.

#44 1 year ago

Nothing wrong with Tom, but its a 90's bw, which for the most part dont have the depth of the 'eventual' code of alot of newer sterns

Go with twd youll be glad you did

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Isjack:

What am I missing?

I’m going to make the rare move of disagreeing with Chuck. I don’t like the premium in this case.

I loved the Pro, and when I had the opportunity to do a “winter swap” for a TWD Premium, I did it. After a couple days, I stopped playing it. I kept trying to like it over the weekend, but I couldn’t stand the left ramp on the premium. The crossbow just interferes with the play.

I get it, Walker Bombs are cool. And getting one, and being one shot away from what you need let’s you take more dangerous shots with impunity. It’s a fun and strategic safety net. But I think the other things hurt the game.

This is just one guys opinion. I’m not saying Chuck or the others are wrong, I just disagree.

And to your original question... TWD Pro. TOM is gorgeous and fun to shoot, but too easy. So if the game is for you, put on a cup and get TWD Pro.

#46 1 year ago

Right, I agree that walker bombs may be a great idea but I never played enough premium to get used to them. If having the premium and stepping down to pro might be a bigger deal. But I can not miss what I never had.

With the spinners, sure would be nice in frenzy mode but if you are comparing pro vs pro they should not make a difference.

I really didn’t like the lift ramp on the premium pins that I played. Was not a smooth shot.

I think if Stern had put walker bombs and spinners in pro the debate pro / premium would be less contested.

If the had a middle level pro plus with WB and spinners that’s what I’d get.

I think the premium has good features and some bad features.

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Get both, can't go wrong with that

But serious: both are great games so play them and buy the one you like the most

In addition to my post:
Played both TWD (pro) and TOM last night and TWD is better by a mile

#48 1 year ago

I have never ran across a TWD Premium or LE before, but I played a TWD Pro on location when it was released a few years ago and had a decent time, but I didn't love it. Fast foward to the 2018 Pinball At The Zoo, and 2 people each brought separate TWD Pros, both with ColorDMDs. Each one of those Pros played great (no real cheap drains on either) and I was able to play them several times on free play and I had a blast on them. Since then I added a TWD Pro to the "Pins I'd like to aquire" list that I keep in my mind.

I own a TOM. I love the flow on it and the trunk toy, and the overall production, art, etc. However, I've played it so many times over the years I'm kinda "meh" on it, but I keep it because I love to shoot around on it every now and then, and it's killer to look at, especially with the Mike Chestnut (sadly missed, R.I.P.) brass plated wireforms on it.

#49 1 year ago

I have no problem with the lift ramp on TWD prem. Shoots fine to me.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from T7:

FYI - differences between TWD Premium and Pro...
- Crossbow Toy
- Well Walker Magnet
- Bicycle Girl Lift Ramp - converts to bash toy
- Barn Spinner
- Woodbury Spinner
- RGB Mode Inserts
- Color Changing GI
- Lockdown Bar Button - Walker Bombs

Extra drop target on the Premium too.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I like the crossbow mode on the Pro... I'd prefer the toy but I still shoot Weapons first to make a crossbow shot, I like the animations and I like the additional lights on the playfield on the pro too... two thumbs up for crossbow mode on the Pro!

Edit: Additional didn't mean in comparison to the Pre... you don't get much in terms of extra lighting on the Pro, so seeing all those yellow lights lit at the same time is fun

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
4,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ocean Township, NJ
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside