4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by milhouse
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I think you're going to have owners side for whichever machine they have. I own neither but play both on location pretty frequently. ST has better flow. TWD suffers from cheap drains from dribbles out of the pop bumpers. Rules are cool on both, but could use some enhancements. I give ST the edge due to the lack of cheap drains.

Actually that's exactly how I feel. I like to play both games (ST probably more), but not enough to own either. Tron, XMEN, Spiderman are better games than both.

#52 4 years ago

I own both LEs , played both pros, TWD is more fun.

#53 4 years ago

Both are great games with a unique way they play.

I chose Star Trek above TWD, but all depends on personal taste and how you like the theme.
Software is being worked on for both at this moment so I'm curious if this will change a lot.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

TWD has an ... a poorly implemented theme.

I just don't get these comments. Besides missing original actors voices, I think the theme is really well integrated. Please provide some examples of the poor implementation, maybe I am missing something.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I just don't get these comments. Besides missing original actors voices, I think the theme is really well integrated. Please provide some examples of the poor implementation, maybe I am missing something.

Not missing anything, just an example of "made up criticism".

The theme and the integration of it, sounds, dots, modes, play field etc. are a big part of what makes it great.

That said, there is no right or wrong answer to the question by the Op, just different opinions

#56 4 years ago

Can't go wrong with either but considering you have IM and Met I would go with ST and pick up a TWDLE once the code has matured and you can get it at a good price. Good Luck

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not missing anything, just an example of "made up criticism".
The theme and the integration of it, sounds, dots, modes, play field etc. are a big part of what makes it great.

I am current with both the comic and TV series (kind of burning out on the former) and I am not making up the criticism of a poorly implemented theme on TWD just because I don't like the game.

If it was called Stern Pinball's Zombies, I wouldn't have much to say. But TWD is a franchise about the characters, and the pin lacks all of them. There are modes on the pin and dots/music with each, but without characters or voice calls (the actual actors or soundalikes) there is nothing to make you realize you're playing a Walking Dead pinball machine.

Stern has nailed theme integration on pretty much all their games, so TWD is kind of an anomoly. I expected a lot more from TWD.

There is also a lack of definition as to what exactly is going on. As I had a monster game on TWD and had multiple modes and multiballs going on at once, there was no recognition as to what I was accomplishing, just noise.

Games like BSD, Tron. X-men, SM and countless others have distinct call outs and sound effects to let you know what you're working toward when you stack modes. TWD is all generic noise and even after I earned the GC, there was no satisfaction as I had no damned idea as to what I had done or accomplished.

TWD feels like a phoned in game to me that has a cool theme that is horribly integrated and a mediocre layout. But apparently that is just me and my "made up criticism".

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Stern has nailed theme integration on pretty much all their games, so TWD is kind of an anomoly

Yeah but how would you have done it, Rick mode and Daryl multiball? TWD isn't exactly a game that would be very good based on the characters as its a drama. Of course it could have been better but isn't that always the case and it terms of what's most important in pinball I believe it is represented quite well, speed, great shots, engaging music and sfx and killing zombies in this case.

#59 4 years ago

I feel the same about TWD. I feel they succeeded to get that macabre zombie feeling, and with season 6 coming up this stays more timeless.

Games seen trough the eyes of the main character have been done a lot (avatar, tron, ...) so this is a nice breeze.

I'm not a real fan of the series (have seen some) so I understand that if you're a fan of the series, the more original voice calls you have in the game, the better.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

but without characters or voice calls (the actual actors or soundalikes) there is nothing to make you realize you're playing a Walking Dead pinball machine.

I agree with you about the callouts, which is why I did this.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Machine - For Sale
Colgate, WI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Elkhart, IN
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside