4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by milhouse
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Hello all! Thinking of adding a pin and was wondering your opinion on these 2 games. I have not played either. Seems ST rated a lot higher as TWD Pro barely in top 100 which surprises me. Thoughts?

#4 4 years ago

I have played both, and they are both really fun. I guess it depends on what theme you like.

#5 4 years ago

Star Trek pro is the better game right now. But both need code.

#6 4 years ago

I prefer ST pro

#7 4 years ago

I prefer ST pro. It gets the edge in my book due to being integrated very closely with the films.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Star Trek pro is the better game right now. But both need code.

Absolutely regarding code. I don't understand how two of Stern's in production games haven't received an update since August (ST) and November (TWD).

#9 4 years ago

Hmmm...tallest midget argument.

#10 4 years ago

My pick would be TWD because I think TWD will be the better game after updated code.
I own both and am hoping for a good code update on ST as well, but I don't think it will be as good a final result. As the 2 games sit currently I would give a slight edge to ST as having more complete code, but with issues that I personally don't like and I'm not sure will be changed.

#11 4 years ago

As always , play both and then make your decision . Really wanted ST , played an LE and was not what I like in a game. Played a TWD and loved it , theme and gameplay, bought one . I never buy a pin without first playing one. Because you really never know. Other people's opinions don't matter at all

#12 4 years ago

wow, not one TWD lover so far. Is it mostly code on TWD or just not that great a game?

#13 4 years ago

There are some shots on TWD that seem a bit "off". This may have to do with leveling. My game is too new for me to know. However, TWD feels like a new layout and ST feels a bit rehashed. I like both games a lot. My edge goes to TWD.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from jbp8653:

wow, not one TWD lover so far. Is it mostly code on TWD or just not that great a game?

It's a fantastic game. Totally different feel.

#15 4 years ago

ST Pro has already taken most of the hit on depreciation and settled out as a pretty well regarded/ranked game. Lightly used TWD Pro's are still being sold for close to original purchase price and while some people like the game, overall the ratings are not very good. So, I'd buy the ST and maybe sell or trade it down the road for a TWD. Odds are pretty good that the ST will be worth as least as much as TWD 12-18 months from now. Code updates will probably boost TWD's popularity but can't fully compensate for some of the other complaints.

I've owned a STLE and played TWD LE and Pro a good bit. Personally, I think ST is a better designed game with a great playfield, but expect that TWD will end up having better code because of Lyman.

#16 4 years ago

Unless you are really into the TWD theme, ST is the better game. ST is bright, colorful, and theatrical. It's easy to understand how to play and great for all ages. TWD is pretty gruesome and dark. Even if I liked it, I wouldn't buy one because of my kids. I doubt code updates will change gameplay all that much so watch videos of gameplay to see what looks better to you.

#17 4 years ago

Get an iron man. It's leaps and bounds better than either TWD or ST.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Get an Iron Man. It's leaps and bounds better than either TWD or ST.

Got one!!!!!!!!! Great game

#19 4 years ago

Both great games, but my vote is ST mainly because it uses the original cast voices and music.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Unless you are really into the TWD theme, ST is the better game. ST is bright, colorful, and theatrical. It's easy to understand how to play and great for all ages. TWD is pretty gruesome and dark. Even if I liked it, I wouldn't buy one because of my kids. I doubt code updates will change gameplay all that much so watch videos of gameplay to see what looks better to you.

I also own BSD , gruesome and dark is awesome . Also love horror movies , hhhhhmmmmm

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Both great games, but my vote is ST mainly because it uses the original cast voices and music.

that is a big +

#22 4 years ago

ST pro is the better game.

#23 4 years ago

ST pro for sure

#24 4 years ago

ST Pro is really fun and has an open layout with fast ramp shots. Great sounds and callouts. TWD has a unique PF layout and two really long ramp shots- its really fun and the zombie theme is cool. Cant wait to see what lyman has in store for the code in future updates.

#25 4 years ago

I owned STLE sold it got a Mustang....since then got TWD Pro.
Fun factor for me Mustang.
Coolness factor TWD.
Deep rules STLE.

IMO ST pro plays faster but its still just a snoozer to me.

For me TWD hands down.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Irrelevant now and a non-issue.

Quoted from jbp8653:

Hello all! Thinking of adding a pin and was wondering your opinion on these 2 games. I have not played either. Seems ST rated a lot higher as TWD Pro barely in top 100 which surprises me. Thoughts?

Both games have its fans. Very different themes and they play differently as well. As recommended earlier, play both and see which you prefer.

#27 4 years ago

Star trek

#28 4 years ago

This is another one of those things where ST owners will say ST and TWD owners will say TWD. So to keep it consistent I say TWD Shockingly pretty much everyone that has said ST owns one and not TWD

#29 4 years ago

ST is leaps and bounds a better game. TWD has an ok layout but a poorly implemented theme.

#30 4 years ago

I have a st pro and a twdle

The people that have come over and played it
- ppl that have no affiliation to either like the st pro over twdle
- ppl that are into twd show like the twdle

I like both games because they contrast each other nicely

Twd is just like the show. If u make a mistake. It's punishes you with brutal drains
It's a bash/hack style game with small precise openings. So you have to develop good ball control

St really has awesome flow, nice call outs and great dots

I love both games. I wouldn't want to give up either game. But I play my st more.

I'm more of a st fan than a twd fan

I would pick st just because it's an easier game with nicer flow shots than twd and the left lane ball save is awesome which makes me want a left lane ball save in a future game update for twd

#31 4 years ago

Great info everyone............leaning towards ST

#32 4 years ago

TWD for me and its not even close!

Of course I own an LE but have played a ton of ST and just can't get into it, don't like the code and just another fan layout, great lighting though

BIG difference is Lyman is on the code for TWD and he will finish it off great. That's a gimme.

Plus, you get the "real actor/show callouts" with the new pinball browser file that another pinhead did.

The theme is implemented beautifully and will only get better.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

.....Shockingly pretty much everyone that has said ST owns one and not TWD

you were like us when you had one.

i'm not saying TWD is not a good machine but for the price ST pro Vs TWD pro is the winner here.
game play is pretty damn close to the STLE.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Irrelevant now and a non-issue.

really, the face of the actors everywhere... not one word from them.

#35 4 years ago

Play them both and it will be an easy decision as they are completely different. I like both themes equally well and was going to buy one or the other. I played them and it wasn't even remotely close - Star Trek hands down. But prepare yourself for some insane speed - it's one of the fastest games in my collection!

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

you were like us when you had one.
i'm not saying TWD is not a good machine but for the price ST pro Vs TWD pro is the winner here.
game play is pretty damn close to the STLE.

Lol, very true. I loved my ST pro. It just got sooo repetitive so fast. It is still a good game and maybe if they update the code I will pick up another one. But I find personally I like the difficult sharp shooter games like TWD, Xmen, ect... ST shots are too easy and buttery for me personally.

#37 4 years ago

ST by a mile. It is definitely a fun game even in the Pro form.

#38 4 years ago

"ST shots are too easy and buttery for me personally"

That's how I feel QG, I've already got the same thing in SM and Ac/dc.

As to the comparison between ST pro and LE, 100% pro.

#39 4 years ago

I agree with everything in this post ^^^^^^

Especially this :

Quoted from iceman44:

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

"ST shots are too easy and buttery for me personally"
That's how I feel QG, I've already got the same thing in SM and Ac/dc.

i'm gonna be honest here, i'm starting to feel the same way, if stern doesn't take their tumbs out of their a$s and come up with an update i'd be very disappointed.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

really, the face of the actors everywhere... not one word from them.

Such a yesterday argument. This has been addressed and is old news. Easily fixed and no longer any issue. One can now change over to actor call-outs on TWD pinball game as discussed on this forum. It's all on the forum to read and the reviews are great. This is recent and with more community involvement this option will only flourish even more for TWD pinball machines.

Quoted from Taygeta:

.... TWD has an ok layout but a poorly implemented theme.

Sour grapes and totally misinformed. This post sums the TWD theme.

Quoted from 30FathomDave:

I see this posted a lot, and I just don't get it. Literally every single mode is something related to the show. The side art features actors from the show. The main music is the music from the show. There's a fish tank full of heads, a prison, a well walker, bicycle girl, Woodbury, etc. And now there's a Pinball Browser macro to add the actors' voices to the game. Short of going with a photoshopped, "iron on" looking playfield with photos of actors plastered all over the place, I don't know how this game could be any more like the show.

One can now easily have actor voice call outs throughout the entire game. Fair use and no issues. And one can easily flash between new and revised code to go back to original coding.

TWD is modding hard core heaven. You have tens and tens of playing field mods, a color DMD coming, actor call outs available, theme music for the show, the best dots as noted by feedback, etc. This machine is leading the way currently for owner and aftermarket mod support. And it is a win win for all.

Add the Lyman TWD coding and it will only get better. I foresee even more excellence.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

LOL. Hook line and sinker. Such a yesterday argument. This has been addressed and is old news as well. Easily fixed.

Sour grapes and totally misinformed. This post sums the TWD theme.

One can now easily have actor voice call outs throughout the entire game. Fair use and no issues. And one can easily flash between new and revised code to go back to original coding.
TWD is modding hard core heaven. You have tens and tens of playing field mods, a color DMD coming, actor call outs available, theme music for the show, the best dots as noted by feedback, etc.

you surely love your WD, no doubt.

hey sorry! you are right... i'm wrong.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

you surely love your WD, no doubt.
hey sorry! you are right... i'm wrong.

LOL. Sour grapes are the lesser man's fruit. Enjoy as we look back at my original post in this thread.

Quoted from dzoomer:

Both games have its fans. Very different themes and they play differently as well. As recommended earlier, play both and see which you prefer.

#44 4 years ago

I'm just glad that we have a consensus!

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

LOL. Sour grapes are the lesser man's fruit. Enjoy as we look back at my original post in this thread.

yes! enjoy you game.

#46 4 years ago

I own three pins. Two of which are ST and TWD. I really like both
games a lot and don't think you'd go wrong with either pin. Lately I've been playing a lot more TWD as I like the shot layout and theme. ST I seem to have much longer games on than TWD so in that aspect it really depends on what type of game you like. The third flipper on ST is a blast as the warp ramp is an awesome shot. I'm really happy that I own both.

#47 4 years ago

ST Pro... or Mustang.
Don't even consider buying TWD without playing it first.

#48 4 years ago

If op goes nib TWD and wants to change voice calls, he'd better make sure it's SAM and not Spike.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I have played both, and they are both really fun. I guess it depends on waht theme you like.

What he said....If you like pweh pweh bang bang space ships and spock buy ST, if you like scary music and growling zombies buy TWD

#50 4 years ago

I think you're going to have owners side for whichever machine they have. I own neither but play both on location pretty frequently. ST has better flow. TWD suffers from cheap drains from dribbles out of the pop bumpers. Rules are cool on both, but could use some enhancements. I give ST the edge due to the lack of cheap drains.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 199.99
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside