New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 114657)

TWD Prison Tower

By tadowhere

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 198 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 42 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC02565_(resized).JPG
DSC02558_(resized).JPG
20160428_235728_(resized).jpg
20160428_235631_(resized).jpg
temp_(resized).jpg
image2_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_0207_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
twd_well_walker_1_(resized).jpg
twd_well_walker_(resized).jpg
twd_tower1_(resized).jpg
twd_tower_(resized).jpg
twd_tower2_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_5865.JPG

There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 5 years ago

Some should make a few stickers to dress the tower up a bit

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think some people are just pissed about what they are getting for $8k in modern Stern LE's. For $3500 over the pro you get side armor, an extra magnet, a gun toy, a ramp that lifts up, a spinner, a moving well walker and 3 mini heads....That isn't enough, especially when it then takes months if not years to complete code on top of it. It's a nice amount of extras but I don't see how they demand $3500. For that type of money the LE should come with the fish tank topper, the "blood" spattered side armor, a more interactive prison toy, a shaker motor and the guard tower.

Obviously not too pissed, they buy it

#53 5 years ago

looks good, still considering it at this stage,
with the poor exchange rate not much change out of 150

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

I have the McFarlane Tower and haven't put it together yet. What I didn't realize when I bought it to use in the game last week (before I knew Tim and Mrs.) were making one was that it's essentially a set of Lego like blocks. My thought was to cut it with a dremel, which can still be done, but it's going to be a pain. I'll assemble it this weekend. The scale may simply be too big though.
One thing that may complement the Mezel tower nicely is a set of decals from Pingraffix. If they got together, they'd complement each other's talents nicely.

Truth be told, if it's larger scale, I'd be interested in getting rid of the "Barn looking prison" and just putting the tower in its place. I could dremel out the doors and just put decals on them to match the tower and boom, actual prison looking prison with tower targets on the left and right of the actual prison tower.

Is it up to the Barn's scale? If so I'll buy one tonight!

#55 5 years ago

Id like to see a better pic of the tower. where u actually stand to play the game . Mezel ?? Please

#56 5 years ago

Ain't the best but it's not the worst mod I've seen. I think a sticker to give the tower some brick like textures instead of just the smooth plastic look would really increase the look and quality of the tower, don't know if it can be printed/made that way straight out?? And some kind of windows maybe like the prison that can light up with maybe a silhouette of a couple people in them that can light up and flash like the prison windows!? Even if it added a little too the price I think it would certainly look tonnes better and look more integrated with the prisons light sequence with the silhouettes etc. Don't know if any of that is possible Mezel/Mrs?

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Ain't the best but it's not the worst mod I've seen. I think a sticker to give the tower some brick like textures instead of just the smooth plastic look would really increase the look and quality of the tower, don't know if it can be printed/made that way straight out?? And some kind of windows maybe like the prison that can light up with maybe a silhouette of a couple people in them that can light up and flash like the prison windows!? Even if it added a little too the price I think it would certainly look tonnes better and look more integrated with the prisons light sequence with the silhouettes etc. Don't know if any of that is possible Mezel/Mrs?

Someone must be also to print some stickers

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think some people are just pissed about what they are getting for $8k in modern Stern LE's. For $3500 over the pro you get side armor, an extra magnet, a gun toy, a ramp that lifts up, a spinner, a moving well walker and 3 mini heads....That isn't enough, especially when it then takes months if not years to complete code on top of it. It's a nice amount of extras but I don't see how they demand $3500. For that type of money the LE should come with the fish tank topper, the "blood" spattered side armor, a more interactive prison toy, a shaker motor and the guard tower.

The difference was less than $3000 not $3500. An if people didn't find it worth the difference in price then people shouldn't have bought an LE. The feature comparison and prices were announced well before people purchased. One that looks at the feature list then decides to buy the LE means that person was satisfied by the offering. To later bitch that he should have received any and all mods that come out is silly and stupid

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

Demand better.

Agreed. And this one wasn't spit out of a 3D printer. I don't mind some of the 3D printed stuff but it just seems junky to me. Injection molded is far better and seems cheaper?

#60 5 years ago

Well, as I mentioned earlier I ordered the McFarlane Prison Tower a while ago and just got around to building it. I figured If the scale was a bit off I could cut it down and make it fit.

1) No chance it's just way bigger than it looked in the pictures.

2) These aren't Lego's so I'm not sure how Lego hasn't sued them because the blocks are exactly the same as Legos and the box even says "will work with other brands".

Anyone who doesn't want to spend $400 on a topper, you could definitely make a cool diorama for the top, add some LED flashers, etc and save a boatload of cash.

Oh and I was just taking a picture to show scale, I haven't installed the guard rail, etc. It really is a nice set for $65 or whatever it was. I just have to figure out how and where to mount the figures in the game. I prefer this scale to the larger ones. They have to be mounted in an area with no chance of airball strike though. Each figure is a minimum of 5 pieces and I can't even imagine trying to find a tiny arm or head after one explodes during a game. lol

Someone mentioned using tower in place of the Prison/Barn. I feel like it could maybe be done, but the prison is translucent and glows when activated. You could make the Tower flash, etc but retro fitting it so the doors are there etc just wouldn't be worth the effort. The best use of this thing would be as a Topper, especially if you tie in some flashers, etc to the game play.

Tower.jpg
#61 5 years ago

Lego's patents long expired....

#62 5 years ago

Jake, here's the shot I took showing that it really wouldn't be a simple swap. The flashers inside the prison are mounted too wide to fit inside the tower and to fit, you'd have to only have 3" (about 3 blocks worth) for the tower base, which would make it look stubby. If someone really detested the prison, well painting the brick grey, and cutting off the points to allow the top of the tower to mount on top could be done, but that would be a lot of work, and well, insane.

PrisonInside.jpg TowerPrison.jpg
#63 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Well, as I mentioned earlier I ordered the McFarlane Prison Tower a while ago and just got around to building it. I figured If the scale was a bit off I could cut it down and make it fit.
1) No chance it's just way bigger than it looked in the pictures.
2) These aren't Lego's so I'm not sure how Lego hasn't sued them because the blocks are exactly the same as Legos and the box even says "will work with other brands".
Anyone who doesn't want to spend $400 on a topper, you could definitely make a cool diorama for the top, add some LED flashers, etc and save a boatload of cash.
Oh and I was just taking a picture to show scale, I haven't installed the guard rail, etc. It really is a nice set for $65 or whatever it was. I just have to figure out how and where to mount the figures in the game. I prefer this scale to the larger ones. They have to be mounted in an area with no chance of airball strike though. Each figure is a minimum of 5 pieces and I can't even imagine trying to find a tiny arm or head after one explodes during a game. lol
Someone mentioned using tower in place of the Prison/Barn. I feel like it could maybe be done, but the prison is translucent and glows when activated. You could make the Tower flash, etc but retro fitting it so the doors are there etc just wouldn't be worth the effort. The best use of this thing would be as a Topper, especially if you tie in some flashers, etc to the game play.

Tower.jpg 299 KB

Thanks for doing this, because I know it was a PITA.

#64 5 years ago

Actually I had the glass off already trying to figure out where to put the figures, so all I really had to do was remove 4 screws to look into the prison. You're welcome though.

#65 5 years ago

N0s4atu!

Thank you so much!

What I was thinking was removing the barn entirely, except the front doors! It looks like those are attached to the barn though. Then Id have the door meet with the bottom of the walkway of the tower. Id remove both flasher mounts and just mount them inside the tower.

Would it still be too tall if the tower was just above the door frame?

#66 5 years ago

every time I see this post I start singing this.

Brian

#67 5 years ago

Looking closely, the door mechanism may actually be separate from the prison structure. If you did exactly as you described, it would be very close and I'm not sure how it would look. The tower might then look like a guard shack.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Looking closely, the door mechanism may actually be separate from the prison structure. If you did exactly as you described, it would be very close and I'm not sure how it would look. The tower might then look like a guard shack.

Hmm... Trying to decide if spending $5k to satiate my curiosity is the right thing to do... Ill talk to a friend that has a WD and maybe see how it looks first hand! In the mean time Ill buy a tower and keep my eyes peeled for someone wanting to get rid of a Walking Dead!

Thank you so much! Really!

#69 5 years ago

I knew the McFarlane tower was too big, but I forgot how big.

#70 5 years ago

Naked

After Distressing

Video under playing conditions.

#71 5 years ago

Looks good. Did you paint it some?

#72 5 years ago

The McFarlane tower detail looks not so great in the pics, marketing does wonders.

#73 5 years ago

The tower looks fine, maybe a little custom paint job, I think the only thing I don't like is the fish tank of zombie heads next to it, it looks way out of proportion.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup! Stern should be including some of these mods on the LE models and cranking out code updates for the game instead of expecting owners to shell out more money.

People have been moding games for years Stern should get in on the cash to be made.

#75 5 years ago

This is a very cool looking game active mod. Looks like it came from the factory after installed.
Ordered mine direct through Mezel site and got one of the first early production ones
IMG_20150109_185112-71.jpg
Swapped wires in both idc conntectors
IMG_20150109_190434-698.jpg
Wanted to maximize LED flashes under roof
IMG_20150109_191449.jpg
Added reflective foil tape
IMG_20150109_192752.jpg
Just to get an idea of size
IMG_20150109_191359.jpg
Everyone is going to hate this but I will say it... if you don't add this toy, your game is incomplete!

#76 5 years ago

Really that is 100 bucks, Im going to have to get into modding

#77 5 years ago

Agree it is expensive but that probably has a lot to do with Stern featuring it on their own site for TWD accessories. If it wasn't for that I bet Mezel could price it any way he likes.

Anyway I will say, if you ever get to see one on the playfield in person, it looks sharp. If you own TWD, and you get to see how it interacts in person during play, price be damned, your going to want it.

#78 5 years ago

Id like to see a better vid the glare was bad and very dark kinda looks generic no offense lets see a real vid and stand back a little your not giving a true look at this mod in action

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

They just posted pics of it installed.

1619415_10152979204609244_246729... 125 KB

Zombie head number one's saying, "I remember when this was all playfield as far as the eye could see..."

#80 5 years ago

Instead of wasting time on this damn tower,why not make a replacement prison that looks like a prison?!? This thing stern sent with the game has to go. Everyone's first question the first time they see it is"what's the barn do"? Please make one for all of us!!

#81 5 years ago

Unless you play with the glass off or Mezel comes out with a searchlight mod. You will barely see this mod during gameplay but with my new Delta 9 mod, you can see a lot better.

Notice anything different besides the fact that YES, i have a shitty camera for this type of stuff. I should probably retire from making vids until i get something that can handle this type of thing. Any suggestions?

Just teasing Delta and i just woke up.

I did stain this with some greenish slop i had lying around.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Unless you play with the glass off or Mezel comes out with a searchlight mod. You will barely see this mod during gameplay but with my new Delta 9 mod, you can see a lot better.
» YouTube video
Notice anything different besides the fact that YES, i have a shitty camera for this type of stuff. I should probably retire from making vids until i get something that can handle this type of thing. Any suggestions?

LOL Love the Delta Mod! Payment sent!

This is a good looking mod and thanks Mezel team. The actual tower is a little darker in color than the earlier pics, which is a good thing. Pretty easy to install, but like said before the glare from the DMD screen covers the mod too much. All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase and I think it adds to the pin.

BTW fellas, I noticed some new sound quotes in your pin that I haven't noticed in mine. Are they custom, or did I miss an update? Ha Ha Ha I know, no pun intended on the updates. If they are custom, they sound great and I would love to have them in my pin. Thanks!

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

BTW fellas, I noticed some new sound quotes in your pin that I haven't noticed in mine.

That's funny, I was thinking the same thing. I've never heard the "They're F-ing with the wrong people."

#84 5 years ago

I probably should note that i modified my software, before people start calling Stern and demanding the real voices.

And i darkened my mod. It is fairly bright , but the location is dark, so maybe it might not matter to most. Prison Search lights would be awesome. Anyone think something like that is a possibility.

#85 5 years ago

Well it's off topic here, but I can't be the only one wondering what mods you did to the software.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from Jakenjoi:

Not sure if serious or trolling...
Edit: It's an LED flasher with alligator clips adhered to a plastic tower. For $100!? Stern is a genius!

jake, Ill order 1 from you for $25-50, it will save me $50-75. Thanks!!! Pm me for my address.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

» YouTube video
I did stain this with some greenish slop i had lying around.

Lol too funny . You ever heard of bent plastic go to pinballife they have them takes the glare away i have them on all my pins second take a peice of blue painters tape and put a strip on your floursent light and say by by to all your glare

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Lol too funny . You ever heard of bent plastic go to pinballife they have them takes the glare away i have them on all my pins second take a peice of blue painters tape and put a strip on your floursent light and say by by to all your glare

They're called Glare Guards. I and all my buddies use them. I never use to noticed how bad the glare was until I used one these. It's a cheap efficient way in making your pinball experience that much better.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

They're called Glare Guards. I and all my buddies use them. I never use to noticed how bad the glare was until I used one these. It's a cheap efficient way in making your pinball experience that much better.

Their called bent plastic at pinballife.com

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Their called bent plastic at pinballife.com

Do you have any opinion on the DMD filter Glare Guard at pinball life. You brought up some good points about glare. The logo glare being the worst .. i dont really like the look of the "bent plastic" ones.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2212

#91 5 years ago

I installed mine today. It is looks great and Tim's choices for light integration were fantastic. I really like the mod. Thanks T & K Mezel

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Do you have any opinion on the DMD filter Glare Guard at pinball life. You brought up some good points about glare. The logo glare being the worst .. i dont really like the look of the "bent plastic" ones.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2212

Buy bent plastic is my best advice to you best money i ever invested takes the glare away completly then try the tape trick on your floursent light all my pins have bent plastic image-54.jpg

image.jpg
#93 5 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Buy bent plastic is my best advice to you best money i ever invested takes the glare away completly then try the tape trick on your floursent light all my pins have bent plastic

image.jpg 146 KB

image-54.jpg 124 KB

Ahhhh.. why blue tape & not just plain masking tape? That blue line across your backglass looks terrible.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Ahhhh.. why blue tape & not just plain masking tape? That blue line across your backglass looks terrible.

All i had at the time but sure beats the hell out of the amc logo glare

#95 5 years ago

I used red electricians tape just on the left side of the bulb. It took care of the brightness of the letters and logo reflection and turned the word "DEAD" blood red. MUAHAHAHA

#96 5 years ago

Just got mine today. I think it looks great. Looks like it belongs in the game. The lighting is well integrated with the game and it's easy to see. Thanks mezel mods. image-313.jpgimage-466.jpg

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Well it's off topic here, but I can't be the only one wondering what mods you did to the software.

Same here! That sounded awesome.

and more on topic: I just ordered this mod for my game. Can't wait to get it installed.

#98 5 years ago

Glad to see my idea is popular

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Jake, here's the shot I took showing that it really wouldn't be a simple swap. The flashers inside the prison are mounted too wide to fit inside the tower and to fit, you'd have to only have 3" (about 3 blocks worth) for the tower base, which would make it look stubby. If someone really detested the prison, well painting the brick grey, and cutting off the points to allow the top of the tower to mount on top could be done, but that would be a lot of work, and well, insane.

PrisonInside.jpg 239 KB

TowerPrison.jpg 274 KB

You could change those flashers to be 555 sockets and gain room that way (much smaller than the 906 or whatever is there). I did it before and put in a flex flasher and pointed it towards where I wanted.

#100 5 years ago

Find it goofy that this had to be "licenced" with Stern but yet fish tanks and god knows how many other mods made over the years, like pop caps from Hooked, TZ mods, etc... those never had to be licenced. This is a slippery slope to tread, and if we slide down it, the Mezels will be the first casualty, and then the rest of us right behind. I'm hoping this actually had more to do with the fact it's THIS SPECIFIC PIN (aka. AMC Pro/LE) than Stern trying to lock down some market.

What's next...is Stern going to send out a contract with every NIB stating that using non-licensed mods is illegal? Ya'll gonna ask them if they want to carry my Tron mod? Maybe they can get a few sold as add-ons, when they run Tron toppers if that prior statement by them was correct and they're going back to old titles.

There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside