TWD Premium/LE vs IJ

By jk2171

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Wondering what some opinions are on this head to head matchup. I've played both and enjoy both. Don't know if the examples of IJ I've played were just set up wrong, but IJ seems like a slower paced game. What are others opinions regarding fun factor, and what would last longer in a collection.

#2 8 years ago

Do a search on TWD, it's all I have played now for over a year.

#3 8 years ago

IJ is Definintly WAY slower. I owned an IJ for a few months while restoring it. When the work was done I played a few games and thought, wow this is garbage, I can't beleive it is rated so high. Sold it soon after. TWD premium/LE is a much better game.

#4 8 years ago

TWD is excellent, but it's tough. Williams IJ is a lot of fun, but suffers from a scoring imbalance where you only go for Super Jackpots when competing (some people don't care). If your a good player - TWD, if you're a more casual player you might prefer IJ.

#5 8 years ago

I installed the TWD outlane extenders and finally got some enjoyment from it, have played Indy a few times, I'd roll with TWD but not that I think Indy is bad or anything....

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for the opinions thus far! Anyone else that has experience on both games care to weigh in?

#7 8 years ago

TWD easy...

IJ one of the most overrated games of all time. Game looks great, great theme, lots of stuff in there, built well...but simply is no fun to play.

#8 8 years ago

I've owned an IJ twice, I love the theme and music etc, but being a wide body it is a bit "loafy" if that's even a word.....just kinda sluggish. Walking Dead Premium/LE is just so much damn fun, it's such an immersive experience and rewards you for making good decisions. I'd lean towards that. Good luck!

#9 8 years ago

For me IJ is a keeper and a candidate for a HEP restore. On the other hand, for me, I sold my TWDLE happily as no other pin before, stave Police Force, TSPP, Queen of Hearts, Sweet Sioux, Auto Race and Wagon Train. TWDLE was not a game I wanted to play again after giving it a good chance, in addition to the playfield damage from the moving ramp. Please note that the guy who bought it from me, a fellow pinsider, is as pleased as punch with every aspect of his TWDLE.
I buy it, try it, keep it if I like it, sell it if I don't.

#10 8 years ago

I too like both games, but IJ wins for me. Great mix of theme, dots, sound & toys.

#11 8 years ago

TWD all the way - any version - is better than IJ.

#12 8 years ago

Which theme do you like more?

IJ is an adventure, a path with goals, slower pace, family friendly.

TWD is an adrenaline Rush, Dark, Fast, Killing Zombies.

Perhaps watching a couple of videos might help.

Night and day, old and new, both Fun in different ways.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

For me IJ is a keeper and a candidate for a HEP restore. On the other hand, for me, I sold my TWDLE happily as no other pin before, stave Police Force. TWDLE was not a game I wanted to play again after giving it a good chance, in addition to the playfield damage from the moving ramp. Please note that the guy who bought it from me, a fellow pinsider, is as pleased as punch with every aspect of his TWDLE.
I buy it, try it, keep it if I like it, sell it if I don't.

Yeah, I bet you sold your TWD before new code dropped. I can almost guarantee it.

#14 8 years ago

I own a Williams IJ and will be owing a TWD shortly. Both a re great games so you can't go wrong. Indy has tons of modes, great sounds, and just an all around great game. No way overrated. Wide body beauty. They don't come up for sale all that often either.

TWD has a great shot layout and with cleland sound upgrade, a very fun pin! You honestly can't go wrong.

#15 8 years ago

I own both. A waxed, correctly setup IJ is a great fast game. A solid fun title all day long. TWD Is more of an 'in your face MF'er' experience. Both have a place in my line up indefinitely.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I've owned an IJ twice, I love the theme and music etc, but being a wide body it is a bit "loafy" if that's even a word.....just kinda sluggish. Walking Dead Premium/LE is just so much damn fun, it's such an immersive experience and rewards you for making good decisions. I'd lean towards that. Good luck!

BIASED!

#17 8 years ago

IJ, no contest.

#18 8 years ago

owned 2 IJ's and TWDLE. TWD is 10x the game IJ is.
If you absolutely LOVE the IJ movies, I can see owning this pin. If you just like the movies and LOVE playing pinball I would say it's not one to get. The delay of the ball coming out of the pops to the left is the MOST boring time of any pinball of all time. Of course it does have several video modes that some of you guys like so there's that.

#19 8 years ago

Haha, this is very true as I've spent more time with TWD than my wife over the last few months. I do like IJ though, and if you can have both in a lineup all the better.

#20 8 years ago

Opinions are split on this. A poll would be interesting...

#21 8 years ago

I think these are two pins that really should not be compared to each other. Yes, you could make a list of artwork, sounds, game play and so on but these two are so far apart in almost every aspect. Perhaps TWD would be better suited against IM while IJ against other widebody Superpins. Now that I think about it they would be a great combo to have together. Yes, own them both. So say we all.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Yeah, I bet you sold your TWD before new code dropped. I can almost guarantee it.

Code will never fix a damaged playfield. A damaged playfield is inappropriate for a new pin. TWDLWE sucks as bad as NGG in this regard, worse since it was produced 20 years later. WTF were the designers thinking?

BTW:You don't know anything about me anymore than I don't know anything about you. Suggest you keep your thoughts of my actions to yourself. No worries from me if you don't. The ignore button works for me and you. Life is beautiful when you can ignore the static...thanks for that Robin!!

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Code will never fix a damaged playfield. A damaged playfield is inappropriate for a new pin. TWDLWE sucks as bad as NGG in this regard, worse since it was produced 20 years later. WTF were the designers thinking?
BTW:You don't know anything about me anymore than I don't know anything about you. Suggest you keep your thoughts of my actions to yourself. No worries from me if you don't. The ignore button works for me and you. Life is beautiful when you can ignore the static...thanks for that Robin!!

What if the guy's name is Code that does playfield restores?

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Yes you're right, I don't know you. Which is why I put "almost" in the sentence. But from your response I now know I hit the nail on the head happy flipping with whatever pin you like.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Code will never fix a damaged playfield. A damaged playfield is inappropriate for a new pin.

TWD playfield is not "damaged" at all. Obviously, you're welcome to your opinion, but plenty of people think it's awesome - and tough - the way a zombie apocalypse pin should be

IJ has it's playfield issues...
- super slow drag coming out of the pop bumpers - sometimes even hangs there and needs to be shaken loose
- mode start rejects
- mini-playfield sucks 90% of the time - impossible to get certain switches

And code issues...
- 1 strategy to win - repeat multiball over and over to go for Super Jackpots - nothing else matters
--- this is why I got rid of mine, it just became kind of pointless

And what's "damaged" about NGGs playfield anyway?

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Well, you're always welcome to express your misguided opinion here anytime.

I'm just joshing ya. QG can be, well, abrasive at times but he's a good dude. Ignore seems extreme.

#27 8 years ago

For me TWD wins. Had a IJ and it never really clicked with me. Played quite slow and every time I looked at the playfield I saw that Chinese Nazi drawing. I know it's a small thing but I hated the look of it. Some nice bits on the game but I got bored of it pretty quickly

TWD plays really fast. I actually like the look of the playfield. Sure I would prefer show call outs but if you pretend it's based on the comics rather than the show then it's all pretty cool.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

QG can be, well, abrasive at times

wow thanks underlord! I would have expected much worse

#29 8 years ago

I prefer IJ

#30 8 years ago

TWD without question is the better pin.

#31 8 years ago

I've played both and wouldn't want to own either. Especially to the tune of $6k and up.

#32 8 years ago

I have a HEP IJ and I agree the game can be a little slow but it's mostly when you are in the upper side of the machine. Once you are in the playfield it definitely is fast but yes it's slower than non wide body games. However, it's no where near slow. Personally, there is so much to shoot at in this machine and so many things to accomplish that you almost need it to slow down a tad. It's that kind of game. I'm a little surprised at the comparison with TWD because if anything these machines compliment each other. I could see comparing TWD with IM/IMVE.

Anyway, I really like both.

#33 8 years ago

I own both - TWDLE wins by a mile. I wonder if the people voting for IJ have spent any time on a Prem/LE with the latest code & actor callouts?

Don't get me wrong - IJ is a beautiful pin, one of the best themes ever, great sounds and great dots. But it plays kind of slow and the playfield is pretty crowded. It's one of my wife's favorites - so it stays in the collection...it just doesn't get a lot of plays.

TWDLE on the other hand is an adrenaline rush - great shots, great sounds, great theme, great dots...one of Stern's best efforts as of late. But it can almost be *too* fast - and the outlanes are pretty brutal on factory settings.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've played both and wouldn't want to own either. Especially to the tune of $6k and up.

I just saw an Indy for sale for 4800 so your pricing is off

#35 8 years ago

Damn price police!

#36 8 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. I owned a Walking Dead Pro last year, but got rid of it in the search for a grail pin I wanted. I did enjoy the Pro though; always felt like I wanted to get one more game in. I'm now able to get the Premium version if I choose. But IJ has been on my shortlist. And it doesn't help that Bad Billy is selling that sweet WH2O! Decisions...

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

Thanks for all the replies. I owned a Walking Dead Pro last year, but got rid of it in the search for a grail pin I wanted. I did enjoy the Pro though; always felt like I wanted to get one more game in. I'm now able to get the Premium version if I choose. But IJ has been on my shortlist. And it doesn't help that Bad Billy is selling that sweet WH2O! Decisions...

I agree, everything is badbilly's fault.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,419.00
$ 29.00
Wanted
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 8.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

12,500 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-premiumle-vs-ij and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.