look.gif
image.jpg
Screenshot_2014-12-15-07-37-42.png
2528757-7604434288-13708.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 12.46.38 PM.png
shiny.jpg
469.jpg
sucker.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StevenP.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

You forgot to add more money in Stern's pocket. They are holding the threat of no Premiums over our heads to sell out the LE's, then they release the Premium when they cashed in on the LE's.
It's basically a bait and switch.

Quoted for truth. Although I might term it "Artificial Scarcity" because "Bait and Switch" doesn't really apply here at all.

Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Good point. Between the $8k price inflation and the WOZRRLE bait-and-switch idea, Stern has copied JJP more than a few times on how they release games.
Thank goodness for all the competition hey?

Again, there was no 'bait and switch' with WOZ. Some people here don't seem to understand the concept. It's simple, and actually encompassed by those three little words.

#201 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The premium edition makes the LE not even appear limited. For nearly $8k the LE should have a more interactive prison toy, a shaker motor and the fish tank topper all included. What is Stern putting into the LE to justify the nearly $1,500 price difference between it and the premium? Side art? Powder coated rails? Its as if they knew all long they would make a premium and only did once they had all of the LE sales.
Sorry Stern but you guys need to offer more then a couple signatures, a plaque and powder coated rails to justify buying a NIB LE over premiums.

Apparently not, if you look at how many people here jump all over every LE that is announced. (OK, some LEs add brighter LEDs too.) Why should they change their tactics when there's a sucker born every minute?

#208 9 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Just a couple quick points/opinions that I'm sure will ruffle some feathers, but it's not intended that way. But seriously guys...think this through.
1) This really shouldn't surprise anyone at this point.
2) Do you really think Stern sits around trying to think of ways to screw over hobbiests? Really?
3) This has nothing to do with "threatening" to not make them if we don't rush out and buy the LEs. I would think after releasing a premium for games like Avengers and Mustang that weren't exactly hot sellers that it makes perfect sense for them to hold off and see the initial reaction. If this one would have been a flop, I'm sure they wouldn't have bothered with the premium. It's not a threat...it's just the smart thing to do. From what I remember, they have said this all along...something to the affect of there are no current plans for a premium but that could change depending on demand. I thought I read that somewhere anyway..
4) They are really screwed no matter what they do...someone will complain. No premium and we complain that only the few LEs that exist are the "full game" and we can't get them if they are sold out. Yes to premium upfront and they run the risk of another Avengers situation where they put in lots of effort to release a machine that ends up more rare than a unicorn. If they do it the way they did here..well...you've read the thread. So really...what do you want them to do?

I agree with #1. As for #2, Stern DOES think of how to screw people over by getting the most money out of them for a few cheap cosmetic differences. #3--there is definitely an implied THREAT of not being able to get a full-featured game if you don't grab a LIMITED-production LE. See #2. As for #4, heck no. Stern is making more money than ever now with this LE-Premium-Pro strategy. Practically doubled the price of their games in a few short years with the artificial scarcity threat. (The type of stuff they add to an LE or Premium now was STANDARD on all games just a few short years ago.) Nope, Stern is not the one screwed here at all. Suckers.

#326 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Again, I don't understand why making more versions of a pinball game is so bad. JJP is even doing it. Heck there is a SE (aka limited premium - whatever the hell that is), before the LE is even shipping. I guess the good thing is that people can see the SE first. But they did it with WOZ and RR, and they likely will again for the hobbit (if it sells well) and Pat's pin.
Just a pattern where pinball manufactures will produce pins that they feel that people will buy - and honestly I don't see a problem with that.

You don't understand the major issue then. Let me explain. Stern announces TWD, LE and Pro only. Customers have 2 options up front: Pay out the nose for the overpriced full-featured LE version before the LIMITED run is all gone, or be stuck with the crippled Pro version. Because there is no statement/guarantee of a full-featured Premium ever being made. The implied threat of artificial scarcity that is used to coerce more pre-orders and LE sales sucks for pinball imo, but is great for Stern's bank account.

What you are also missing is that other LEs (WOZ ECLE and RR75, LOTR LE, TAF Gold, and many others of days gone by) are IDENTICAL in gameplay and playfield features to the standard version. For the non-Stern LEs, buyers have the option of getting the exact same gameplay with the regular version, and can choose if they want to pay extra for exclusivity and frivolous trimmings.

See the difference yet?

#376 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_erie:

I hardly call the pro a "crippled" pin. Fast as hell and fun as hell. With the ramp and crossbow difficulties on the LE.........that is the definition of crippled.
From the freedictionary.com:
2. To disable, damage, or impair the functioning of:

OK, OK, crippled 'in theory' by removing certain playfield features and accompanying rules/scoring. (And nobody start with the lame/bogus argument that "oh no, X designer designs the full game, then adds even MORE for the Premium/LE!" That is total BS. Stern cuts cost by leaving some basic stuff out of the Pro models. Name *one* Stern LE that has more playfield mechanisms/features than an average older game, like a LOTR, Spiderman, Batman, Judge Dredd, WCS, Monster Bash, etc. etc. etc.)

Quoted from AvidPinPlayer:

A non-emotional comment. I'm so glad I bought the poor man's Pro and not the LE. The Premium looks so much better than the LE and ... cheaper. Still, I believe the Pro was the best investment.

No argument with your sentiments. But I will again assert that pinball machines aren't an 'investment'; they're a purchase *expense*.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 26.95
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StevenP.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-premium-wtf?tu=StevenP and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.