look.gif
image.jpg
Screenshot_2014-12-15-07-37-42.png
2528757-7604434288-13708.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 12.46.38 PM.png
shiny.jpg
469.jpg
sucker.jpg
There are 1,076 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 22.
#251 9 years ago

Lessoned to be learned out of this. Always expect there to be a premium...never assume anything. Keep that in mind when making your purchase decision. As flynnibus pointed out, if you want an LE, then buy an LE and be happy with it.

Personally, I'm a premium buyer, so I'm glad to see the premium. If I want bling, I will add it myself, and I don't have a driving need to be the first to own a title.

#252 9 years ago

that's piece of cauliflower

#253 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Never mind the LE customer base is tiny to start with... AND you are overlooking all those people who wanted games, but didn't want to pay a premium for an LE. Now they are happy this game is out there.

So try some perspective before painting the world as a single view.

I am not overlooking the people that didn't want to pay a premium for an LE. That is exactly the people that are upset right now, which you are insulting by saying "they bought a game they didn't want - whose to blame?". This includes people that settled for a Pro, or over extended for an LE due to the strong pressure that if you want a NIB game, this very well may be your only options. You can easily argue that customers should just be patient, but history has shown that sometimes patience does not pay off. If the LE had a comparable value proposition to the Premium for it's price difference, most LE buyers would not be upset.

#254 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

But like I said....this is just *another data point* to add to the list of reasons not to pre-order a game!
I.e, unfinished code is one reason. Add the potential release of a Premium version down the road as another reason.
When the reasons to not pre-order keep adding up, it is going to continue to get easier and easier for people to keep their oath not to pre-order a game!

Oh absolutely, I agree and it's 100% why I don't have a version of TWD in my house as we speak. Now I hold the cards for making an informed decision if and when I do.

#255 9 years ago

This truly is WOZ all over again. It's exactly the same...but different.

#256 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Again, I don't understand why making more versions of a pinball game is so bad.

It's not!

I'm all for it. I'm not one of these people who are calling for the end to the LE model. More choices = more better as far as I'm concerned.

I just think that people want to know what all of the choices are up front.

Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Oh absolutely, I agree and it's 100% why I don't have a version of TWD in my house as we speak. Now I hold the cards for making an informed decision if and when I do.

Exactly. We are in the same boat. And even though we made that decision (which was right for us), that doesn't make me any happier about Stern's decision to go about it in this manner. I'm certainly not going to take the approach that a few others have taken in this thread, which is basically to laugh at those who bought the LE or Pro and say that they have no right to be upset.

#257 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm taking the wait and see approach...not because of stuff like this - but due to games having broken code or missing features for a year or more after a game is released. We're up on the 1 yr anniversary of Star Trek, and the LE/Prem specific flashers and apron lights do NOTHING in gameplay. There are outstanding bugs. Those saying "Oh, a Premium is good because they'll keep coding it". That has nothing to do with anything. The schedules and creative process for coding is fundamentally broken. There are plenty of games with Premiums that need code updates. Avengers, Star Trek...maybe Mustang, who knows with that one lol. All I know is that it's just exhausting and frustrating to "hope" that your $7k toy gets its code finished. I just can't do it anymore.
While I don't see a late-announced Premium for TWD as a big deal, it's clear that this is just another thing to alienate loyal customers who have no problem throwing down big money on these games. Maybe that doesn't matter...Pinside is a small sample of customers & maybe there are still enough people gladly buying these games who don't care about the things we care about. We'll see. It definitely seems that many of the "usual suspects" who buy games at launch, often LEs (me, Rob, Gweem, Hwawonyu, etc) have jumped out of the pool.

It really is the smart move, but man its tough to wait. I've gotten away with this on titles that don't really interest me then pick up a cheaper LE or PRE a year or so after release with near or fully completed code, any fixes from stern done and save some cash. TWDLE and STLE were just to tough to wait on, and STLE is still here where as AC/DC pre, Xmen LE, TAV LE etc. are all gone so very tough to be patient when its a theme near and dear.

#258 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

While I like the idea of that - I don't think it is practical to put that limitation on pinball manufactures. If they can make a pin that people will buy after the first ones have been presented, they have the right. (good and bad goes with that as original buyers may prefer the newer model)

#259 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The premium edition makes the LE not even appear limited. For nearly $8k the LE should have a more interactive prison toy, a shaker motor and the fish tank topper all included. What is Stern putting into the LE to justify the nearly $1,500 price difference between it and the premium? Side art? Powder coated rails? Its as if they knew all long they would make a premium and only did once they had all of the LE sales.
Sorry Stern but you guys need to offer more then a couple signatures, a plaque and powder coated rails to justify buying a NIB LE over premiums.

Your right. It's almost like making 1500 limited editions of a machine.

#260 9 years ago

Great news for pinball . Gary's no idiot .

#261 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly. We are in the same boat. And even though we made that decision (which was right for us), that doesn't make me any happier about Stern's decision to go about it in this manner. I'm certainly not going to take the approach that a few others have taken in this thread, which is basically to laugh at those who bought the LE or Pro and say that they have no right to be upset.

I'm not going to laugh at them, and I also don't think Stern handled it well, but there is accountability on both sides IMO - there are aspects of this "take my money" purchasing that I don't 100% sympathize with

And that's as much as I will touch on that, because going on and on about it won't result in winners/losers - just losers/losers.

#262 9 years ago

Wonder if there will be a Maggie edition similar to ACDC Luci edition.

#263 9 years ago

I digress, but is this true? I was under the impression they aren't officially limited. I had a debate in their announcement thread about it and it was made clear to me that if demand carried on, they would do more batches.

Yes, completely true. They announced around expo time.

It is on there website and you can contact Charlie for info if you want confirmation. AMH is a REAL limited edition. 150 and done! I suggest when you contact him to inquire you also get ready to send him a check

#264 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm not re-writing history. They never officially announced the possibility of a premium. This is a fact.

They also don't officially announce their next game title.. until they officially announce it.. Does that mean we all lock down there is no possibility that the next game will happen?? You're beating a dead horse here. The lack of an official announcement is exactly that.. nothing official, yet it was discussed numerous times with the public as a possibility. Nevermind the obvious behaviors of the company on other titles. Stomping your feet saying "they never announced this before!" is just nitpicking while ignoring everything going on around you.

Even last month... Stern left the door open in his Expo talk.. Jump to 52mins.. he's asked will they make a premium.. and he simply answers "we haven't decided that"
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/54117198

#265 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Maggie & Beth edition I would buy one for sure

#266 9 years ago

I digress, but is this true? I was under the impression they aren't officially limited. I had a debate in their announcement thread about it and it was made clear to me that if demand carried on, they would do more batches.

Spooky says only 150. Charlie said so. He's made it official.

#267 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Yes, completely true. They announced around expo time.
It is on there website and you can contact Charlie for info if you want confirmation. AMH is a REAL limited edition. 150 and done! I suggest when you contact him to inquire you also get ready to send him a check

Interesting. That changed then from last year.

I like and support Ben and Charlie, but I hate the theme of that machine soooo much. Very interested in the zombie one though.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled disaster....

#268 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

and he simply answers "we haven't decided that"

Gary also has a history of saying things that can be the exact opposite.

They made more LEs at 600 and played a game about premium or no premium. You want to look back and be dead on good for you. Fact is in the end it felt like getting played. And yes your point is its on us ok. Good for you.
Our point is it would be nice for more clarity if they want a solid base of repeat high end home buyers.
If they dont , again then OK we will see how this pans out in a few more releases.

#269 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Yes they did. My HD dealer told me my bike would be released in the Matte Black I wanted for the next model.
I bought it the day it was released.
Cars go to car shows and announce their line ups.

cars are shown after they are announced (obviously). And how far into the future did your dealer tell you about the paint? Did they not know this because it was part of their information from Harley?

Your counterpoint conveniently leaves out the dimension of TIME - I didn't say they don't announce things before they are available, I'm saying they don't usually tell you the details before they are announced.

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Expecting Stern to be clear on models and then to sell them is not a bizarro concept as you paint

Yet every manufacturer deals with this. STERN deals with it with every title. They don't acknowledge the next title until they are ready. Apple doesn't acknowledge the next revision until they are ready. Everyone has to face it because everyone has to face the problem of undercutting their own sales and dealing with inventory.

This has happened over and over in different variations even within Stern.. yet everytime people act like they've been duped, the sky is falling, etc.

#270 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Not

Hot

Enough

#271 9 years ago

Next release could be no LE, just pro/premium, and Premium will be at LE price. There's an 'everyone wins and loses' strategy haha

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#273 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I am saying I have spent a lot and would like to continue to do so. Stern makes an LE and sometimes a premium. If they want to continue getting my orders fast, be more clear. Now they dont have to but I will react accordingly and they will feel it.
I think its fair to post that where I hope they will see it without someone telling me to man up etc??

The song remains the same... if you don't want to pay a premium for limited edition, dolled up games - don't buy the LE. If you do want that, you should still be happy with your LE. The price vs the other editions is a whole other story... but people are upset because they bought an LE when I guess they wanted a premium.

That's my point.. don't buy an LE if that's not what you are looking for. People were in some rush to buy TWD...why? Gary himself said they'll be making the game for years to come. Even as recently as Metallica and AC/DC... stern introduced new models AFTER initial launch. Stern is showing they will bring games back from the dead and build them again. Stern has been showing for years they will keep building games at length as long as there is demand.

So tell me again why people were in such a rush to buy an LE if the LE isn't what they wanted from the game instead of sitting back and seeing how the game pans out?

#274 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I think you must reconsider or I have to take your moderator card away.

image.jpg 46 KB

image-129.jpg 43 KB

Damn! I missed her posing in Maxim. Alright, I have reconsidered, you are correct.

#275 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

No kidding she is THE perfect girl next door hot! Love me some Maggie

#276 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yet every manufacturer deals with this. STERN deals with it with every title. They don't acknowledge the next title until they are ready. Apple doesn't acknowledge the next revision until they are ready. Everyone has to face it because everyone has to face the problem of undercutting their own sales and dealing with inventory.

WTF? Mr twisty you are.
Apple said its making two versions. I never said I want or expect Stern to tell me the next game. I just hope that they get things in order to be able to commit to the line up. Even a clear statement like premiums will be offered if LEs sell out.
Of course they dont have to do that now since its proven.
Most of this conversation is about asking Stern to release its core line up up front. No ones butt hurt or not manning up.
Just folks that spend decent money repeatedly trying to get ona page that keeps them as customers.
Why are you here?

#277 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

They made more LEs at 600 and played a game about premium or no premium

I was initially in on the TWD, when I got the call from the distributor she said there will be 'at least 500 LEs, maybe more'...and there are no premiums at this point, but it is a 'maybe'...so I waited.

#278 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Damn! I missed her posing in Maxim.

Maxim can make any girl with a half decent body and face look hot.

#279 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Nice to see that Stern is now pulling fast ones like JJP did with the WOZRR75. I didn't get this machine, but I am planning on getting at least two Sterns in the next couple years, and doing this makes me wonder if I should get in on LEs, or just sit tight and hope for a premium. (Although I still like the LE cab better on this machine.)

Not to derail this thread (& don't think I can with 6 pages in less than four hours ;-}).

We had waited 2 1/2 + years for our WOZ-ECLE & on the very day we were actually waiting for it to be delivered by R&L carriers Jack announces the NEW Ruby Red Limited Edition 75th Anniversary Edition & 1500 of them no less.

Talk about being Pissed-Off & feeling duped!!

#280 9 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

This is also a true point. Anyone ever see what you can do with a slice of pizza and photo shop?

(I think that is faked by the way...but it is a funny point).

#281 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I think you must reconsider or I have to take your moderator card

I think we have our backglass and cabinet art already.

But guys we gotta be fair to the ladies and give them a Rick/Daryl edition

#282 9 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

No!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#283 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

And what if not all the choices are made? Then what? Should Stern be forbidden from making new variations after the fact? Why is it against the rules to simply defer that decision to later?

Stern has demonstrated that games will be available!! People keep thinking it's 2010 or 2011 and if they don't buy the game RIGHT NOW it's not going to be available.. yet the game was just launched 2+ months ago. We have all these people who apparently jumped at games .. and now have regrets for jumping early.

People were overly eager.. and now have regrets as new information, products, and decisions are made. Demanding that everything be made known up front is simply unrealistic expectations going forward for products that will be made for a long time to come.

#284 9 years ago

Even though we kind of saw this coming, and after the IMVE, Stern mods, etc, etc. I actually think when someone says 'Stern will never blah blah blah' it will make me chuckle.

#285 9 years ago

Now where's that humble pie with a side of crow .

#286 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

There is always the choice to not buy.

#287 9 years ago

LOL! Why is anyone surprised?

The companies exist to make money, period.

If there is a way to cash in... they will. Get used to it.

Does this mean we will see a Tron Premium Vault? Well... never say never folks. Seriously.

HOW TO NEVER GET SCREWED OVER IN PINBALL
Step 1. Never buy a machine until 120 days after its initial release. This ensures your machine will have better code upon delivery, all additional models will have been announced, and you will pay for any market drops if they exist.
Step 2. Thats it.

#288 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

LOL! Why is anyone surprised?
The companies exist to make money, period.
If there is a way to cash in... they will. Get used to it.
Does this mean we will see a Tron Premium Vault? Well... never say never folks. Seriously.
Step 1. Never buy a machine until 120 days after its initial release. This ensures your machine will have better code upon delivery, all additional models will have been announced, and you will pay for any market drops if they exist.
Step 2. Thats it.

120 days is too short. PLease change to at least 180 days minimum for code.

#289 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Damn! I missed her posing in Maxim. Alright, I have reconsidered, you are correct.

I certainly wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers.

#290 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Step 2. Thats it.

While that may be true, the problem with that is if you want an LE version, you'll be SOL if they're all sold out. Some machines you can't really wait that long to get, or they could go up in price like Tron did. NIB machines are expensive enough now.

#291 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Well... never say never folks. Seriously

Agree. I think people can strongly disagree about a premium/run of a pin, or feel it is highly unlikely. But never? no.

#292 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

120 days is too short. PLease change to at least 180 days minimum for code.

I'd go 365...maybe more.

#293 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

WTF? Mr twisty you are.
Apple said its making two versions. I never said I want or expect Stern to tell me the next game.

Next game or next revision.. it doesn't matter. Both risk cannibalizing your own sales and creating stale inventory. The reasoning is the same wether or not you grasp it. Companies release new revisions all the time to revitalize an existing product or investment. It's just not reality to expect every variation the company has in it's mind to be laid out on the table at day 1 of launch. Hang Gary Stern in effigy if you want... but people need to open their eyes to whats going on around them.

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

No ones butt hurt or not manning up.

6 pages in just hours of people crying greed, never again, etc.. yeah, no butt hurt at all.

Why am I here? What just because I don't post 50 times a day I'm now just here for this? Whatever... I've been in this hobby for 20+ years and my relevance or interest is not defined by your impression of where I post or not.

#294 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Does this mean we will see a Tron Premium Vault?

I seriously doubt it. After all the premium is an LE. It would be hard to separate the two. TWD LE was never marketed or described as a premium and it was mentioned that if demand was there a prenium was a possibility.

Now a Tron Supreme is another story.

#295 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Actually I would think it goes more like this.

Post edited by moderator: Please do not change someone's statement in a quote

Apparently it wasn't clear enough that I changed Jared's quote. My thought:

Step 1. Never buy a machine

#296 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

While that may be true, the problem with that is if you want an LE version, you'll be SOL if they're all sold out

and if you wanted a LE - you've got nothing to worry about with this annoucncement. But obviously you have people here who bought LEs not because they were looking for LEs... but better featured games.

Perspective... the game was announced end of August/Sept. It's only December.

and don't buy games today based on what happened with Tron in 2010/2011 - it's a different market and Stern is producing more games, longer now than then.

#297 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

While that may be true, the problem with that is if you want an LE version, you'll be SOL if they're all sold out. Some machines you can't really wait that long to get, or they could go up in price like Tron did. NIB machines are expensive enough now.

This is exactly the thought process these companies are banking on.

#298 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

image.jpg 46 KB

image-129.jpg 43 KB

Maggie is definitely hot enough....

#299 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Actually, lets consider that thought, it has only happened with:

1) Metallica. Which turned out to be false demand as there are still plenty of NIB MOPs floating around.
2) Tron LE. The best example, though it is now from 2011 and we are about to enter 2015.
3) AC/DC. The second best example.

I think Stern now makes so many LE's that everyone knows they will be able to get one if they want one. 600 is not rare . . .

#300 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Actually, lets consider that thought, it has only happened with:
1) Metallica. Which turned out to be false demand as there are still plenty of NIB MOPs floating around.
2) TRON LE. The best example, though it is now from 2011 and we are about to enter 2015.
3) AC/DC. The second best example.
I think Stern now makes so many LE's that everyone knows they will be able to get one if they want one. 600 is not rare . . .

I could add Black Spider Man as well I suppose . . . though that was made so long after the reds I'm not sure if it really qualifies.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 26.95
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 16.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,076 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-premium-wtf/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.