Topic Stats

• 1,080 posts
  • 217 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pipes
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 44 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BGRampDamage.jpg
untitled.png
image-196.jpg
image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image-976.jpg
image-245.jpg
image.jpg
look.gif
image.jpg
Screenshot_2014-12-15-07-37-42.png
2528757-7604434288-13708.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 12.46.38 PM.png
shiny.jpg
469.jpg
sucker.jpg

There are 1076 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 22.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I would of bought the premium also if initially announced. I happy with the pro and won't be getting the premium.

Wait. Wut?

The Captain says that this model makes perfect business sense. So how can you say this?

#102 4 years ago

Let's keep this discussion thread civil. Consider this a warning to all benches.

Keep it civil. Attack the message as much as you like. Please do not attack the messenger.
With a cherry on top.

Thread ejects will be freely doled out if people start bickering in public.

Marcus

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

This is certainly a worthy candidate for a new Hitler video.

Yes please.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Nice try, RobT(roll), but you failed to acknowledge you were way off on TWD Premium!
Says wonders about you.

You two need to shack up and

...waiting for the tilt

#105 4 years ago

I am guessing the guy that sold his TWDLE just a few days ago for $6500 knew this was coming and is also very happy he got it sold before the announcement.

#106 4 years ago

Huh?
Think you better call around a bit more

Quoted from jgentry:

Have some of you guys gotten prices on new premiums lately? If not you may be suprised. Stern jacked up the pricing on all models including AC/DC and MET. They are running right at 7K best price NIB.

#107 4 years ago

I thought we all agreed awhile back not to by code-unfinished games anymore from Stern.... how's that threat going? Surely we aren't fighting over art packages and non-limited editions of yet another as-yet unfinished game...

We'll keep getting mad, then end up buying stuff anyways. Despite all the hype, there's still nowhere else to regularly buy new machines from, and all these 'competitors' have simply handed Stern a higher price tag and a frenzied market that will let them release whatever they want, whenever they want.

Short version: If everyone had waited for full code this wouldn't have been a problem

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Wait. Wut?
The Captain says that this model makes perfect business sense. So how can you say this?

Who the hell cares what the Captain says.

IT DOESN't matter what he thinks!

image.jpg

#109 4 years ago

Rob and Captain can snipe at each other all they want... but what I want to know is: Hey LE owners, how does Gary's middle finger taste?

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am guessing the guy that sold his TWDLE just a few days ago for $6500 knew this was coming and is also very happy he got it sold before the announcement.

Good possibility.

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

You forgot to add more money in Stern's pocket. They are holding the threat of no Premiums over our heads to sell out the LE's, then they release the Premium when they cashed in on the LE's.

It's basically a bait and switch.

I agree 100%. The only reason the premium wasn't officially announced at launch was to increase the chances that they would sell out all the LEs. I'm not surprised at all, but I'm very disappointed in Stern. I had almost convinced myself that they were done with the premium thing, but I shouldn't have let my guard down. One thing is certain, I will NEVER pre-order another Stern as long as I live. They decided to bite the hand that feeds them, and I will not reward them for this.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I agree 100%. The only reason the premium wasn't officially announced at launch was to increase the chances that they would sell out all the LEs. I'm not surprised at all, but I'm very disappointed in Stern. I had almost convinced myself that they were done with the premium thing, but I shouldn't have let my guard down. One thing is certain, I will NEVER pre-order another Stern as long as I live. They decided to bite the hand that feeds them, and I will not reward them for this.

Well said.

#113 4 years ago

Stern must of accounted for folks who might of bought an Premium but instead bought a Pro by offering accessories. It seemed like it was insurance in-case the LE's didn't sell. Now Stern can have its cake and eat it too because the LE is sold-out, accessories are selling and Premiums will be sold. I do think the Pro has been a good seller for them.

#114 4 years ago

Would I have liked to have the option on announcement for a premium model? Absolutely. That said I do still prefer the LE without taking cost into consideration. It's a double edged sword, with the speculation now people may hesitate to buy LEs in the future with anticipation of Premiums which then makes new LE's less in demand, making a self for-filling prophecy and the Premium then is'nt produced.

I do think this is a good thing for future code updates for LE/Premium models, and that is without a doubt very important.

Harsh morning on pinside... TWD Premium announcement and seeing Nordman left the Alien project.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Bring on JAWS!
Chief Gary...

jaw.jpg 23 KB

I LOL'd

I think the LE is still the sexiest of the bunch, but I have to admit that if I were an LE owner, I'd be a little miffed about this move- especially if I had bought the LE for the added features and not the exclusivity.

I really dig the side art of the Premium, but I think I'd still give the nod to the Pro. As far as the translite, I like the fish tanks, but the logo right in the middle kills it for me. They should have put that at the bottom, so that if you get a topper, you'd have three uninterrupted rows of fish tanks. That would look badass.

I have a Pro, and now that all of the cards appear to be on the table, I still would have made the same choice.

#116 4 years ago

"Holding the threat of no premiums" - WAT?

If there's not enough interest in a machine to sell out the LEs, why would they bother with a premium? Why would anyone assume anything other than: "If the LEs sell out rather quickly, Stern will likely make a premium version" based on their history?

bah, nevermind, everybody go back to freaking out.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Here is why I agree with you. I think they posted SOLD OUT of the LE's on their site yesterday and then announced the Premium today.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Exactly.

This is just another example of why I won't ever pre-order a pin again. Sadly, this even goes a step further though, because I could have played TWD, decided I liked it, and then ordered an LE only to have the Premium announced after doing so.

Yes, we all knew that this could happen, but it still sucks. I think we'd all prefer to know exactly what all of the options are up front...before ordering.

#119 4 years ago

i can't believe grown men/women find so much time to argue over stuff like this. i need to get a life and stay off the forum more. Have fun arguing about stuff you should have seen coming.

#120 4 years ago

Had a feeling the day I opened my le and this was on the pf

20141205_115258.jpg

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Why would anyone assume anything other than: "If the LEs sell out rather quickly, Stern will likely make a premium version" based on their history?

I must have missed the posts by those who assumed something other than this?

We all knew it was a possibility. Still sucks.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I too am done with pre-ordering from Stern. Upon further reflection, I would have still ordered the LE I ordered, but I just feel this is general disrespect for Stern's customers by Stern and I won't support them further with pre orders.

Not saying I won't buy a Stern in the future (after they release their improved LCD display) but for now I'm done. I hope they code TWD LE/Premium through the roof now though.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Rob and Captain can snipe at each other all they want... but what I want to know is: Hey LE owners, how does Gary's middle finger taste?

Was that his middle finger??

#124 4 years ago

Is the backglass holographic?

#125 4 years ago

I suppose now is a great time for me to trade a machine for the now not so limited TWDLE.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I hope they code TWD LE/Premium through the roof now though

As others have stated, this is the best thing!! Who cares who gets a premium or LE....Now surely
code will definitely be polished! We all win!

#127 4 years ago

First world problems. You've gotta love them.

#128 4 years ago

Bro, what does a close up of your cauliflower have to do with anything?

#129 4 years ago

Just a couple quick points/opinions that I'm sure will ruffle some feathers, but it's not intended that way. But seriously guys...think this through.

1) This really shouldn't surprise anyone at this point.

2) Do you really think Stern sits around trying to think of ways to screw over hobbiests? Really?

3) This has nothing to do with "threatening" to not make them if we don't rush out and buy the LEs. I would think after releasing a premium for games like Avengers and Mustang that weren't exactly hot sellers that it makes perfect sense for them to hold off and see the initial reaction. If this one would have been a flop, I'm sure they wouldn't have bothered with the premium. It's not a threat...it's just the smart thing to do. From what I remember, they have said this all along...something to the affect of there are no current plans for a premium but that could change depending on demand. I thought I read that somewhere anyway..

4) They are really screwed no matter what they do...someone will complain. No premium and we complain that only the few LEs that exist are the "full game" and we can't get them if they are sold out. Yes to premium upfront and they run the risk of another Avengers situation where they put in lots of effort to release a machine that ends up more rare than a unicorn. If they do it the way they did here..well...you've read the thread. So really...what do you want them to do?

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Bring on JAWS!
Chief Gary...

jaw.jpg 23 KB

Ditto...Hopefully we see a Jaws 40th Anniversary in 2015.

#131 4 years ago

IMO the cabinet art on the LE is awesome - way better than the premium.
The premium backglass is pretty cool, but I wouldn't want the Fish Tank topper with it - which is too bad because it's one of the best toppers I've seen.

Many of us figured they would release a premium if the game sold well. But the timing of this makes it seem like this was the plan all along - just to put added pressure on buyers to sell the LE's. You can argue all you want that it's "good business sense", but many profitable business decisions can piss off your customers, which in time can come around to bite you. Having a business that is profitable and has happy customers ultimately makes the MOST profitable business.

If Stern put a little more value into the LE (over the premium) they could still have happy customers. Easy examples to add: real backglass, shaker motor, topper, best side armor, a really good clear coat on the playfield. Instead they are whittling it down to items that essentially cost them peanuts: different art, numbered plaque, numbered certificate, a signature, armor color.

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

First world problems. You've gotta love them.

Amen.

I honestly haven't even been following the LE / Pro saga on this one but having a Premium makes perfect sense. Go Stern!

#133 4 years ago

Thank you Stern! I'm a changed man! No more preorders for me!

Well after TH, TBL and Pat's new pin. Then I'm done! Unless Jaw's is coming? Then, that's it! Damn it!

#134 4 years ago

As many of you may recall, I said a while back that all Stern had to do was put a little note at the bottom of the feature matrix stating "Premium model pending demand". Four simple words, and all of this anger towards them could have been completely avoided. They still would have sold out all the LEs. Instead, they chose to be deceptive, and it really could turn out to bite them in the ass. As the saying goes ... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I'm done.

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

As many of you may recall, I said a while back that all Stern had to do was put a little note at the bottom of the feature matrix stating "Premium model pending demand". Four simple words, and all of this anger towards them could have been completely avoided. They still would have sold out all the LEs. Instead, they chose to be deceptive, and it really could turn out to bite them in the ass. As the saying goes ... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I'm done.

To be fair they basically did straight up say that. Jody told me the same thing when I talked to him. I think they said it on Facebook even, I can't remember now.

Here's the way I look at it, from someone who didn't buy the game and has no plans to, with no emotional involvement: If you bought the LE it's a good thing the Premium is out, because it means more people will have the extra features, and there's more incentive for Stern and Lyman to make sure the code for them is solid.

The people who I feel for are those who "settled" for the Pro, but would have tried to get the Premium for more. That does suck. Stern isn't really encouraging people to order early these days. Incomplete code and shifting product matrices just means you're smart to wait it all out.

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

2) Do you really think Stern sits around trying to think of ways to screw over hobbyists? Really?

I don't think Stern necessarily made a conscious effort to "screw over hobbyists", but this situation has clearly shown that maximizing profits is more important to them than respecting their customer base.

#137 4 years ago

The Premium looks way better to me. Love the backglass and decals. Should come powdercoated at that price though.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think they necessarily made a conscious effort to "screw over hobbyists", but this situation has clearly shown that maximizing profits is more important than respecting their customer base.

While I don't think the idea was to screw over the hobbyists either, I am sure there was a meeting where they were all in the room and said announcing the premium early would "hurt LE sells". I would wager dollars to pesos that was said by Gary or Gomez or someone . . . at some point when they decided how the announcements would flow.

Regardless, I now feel like they will code the special features better, as I said before . . . so "yay" to having spinners that might actually be meaningful somehow . . . at some point.

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

just means you're smart to wait it all out.

The industry has pushed away front money and basically guaranteed this position from its customers. Sad

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

This was NOT the case. He had no idea the premiums were even a thing. He simply needed the funds and the pin was the quickest way to get them.

Personally, I think the Premium is the least ascetically pleasing choice of the 3. I must be in the minority here, but I really dig the rust looking trim of the LE and I think the cab art is way better than the Pro/Premium.

You never can please everyone. Especially here on Pinside. One thread you'll have people bitching up a storm about using photo imagery for art and then when they don't they are complaining it doesn't look as good as the one they did use it on. Personally I think the LE art is reminiscent of older cab art. Very simple and to the point. Kind of reminds me of Scared Stiff cab art.

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

The Premium looks way better to me. Love the backglass and decals. Should come powdercoated at that price though.

It does, it's called the LE

#142 4 years ago

No regrets on my LE. It was a fun 2 months waiting for it, being the first to get it, playing it all this time, etc.

The only thing I would suggest to Stern is they need to juice up the bling on the LEs, to STLE levels. That was the title the LE price shot up on, and you got a lot of cool stuff with it. The difference between the LE and Premium TWD if you take away the exclusivity numbers ain't much.

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from u2sean:

Amen.
I honestly haven't even been following the LE / Pro saga on this one but having a Premium makes perfect sense. Go Stern!
ยป YouTube video

It would make such a good lyric. "Stern just released a $7500 version of my $8500 pinball machine."

#144 4 years ago

I always believed they would make a Premium if they thought the demand was there.

I still think Tron Premium is a possibility despite many saying it will 'never happen'. Unlikely though.

The pre-order model is in big trouble now though.

#145 4 years ago

Oh man. I just heard about this. Saw this coming a mile away when Stern didn't release premiums right away. I know a lot of people saw it coming too, but it's a real bad way to run a business. I'm a Stern fan boy....but really Stern? Don't act like you didn't plan on doing this just so you could sell more LEs. You should have given your customers all their options before they decided what they wanted to buy. Ouch.

#146 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It only makes sense if you are Stern or one of their distributors trying to make as much money as possible by manipulating your customers by instilling fear in them that they must buy the LE otherwise they won't make a Premium and you will lose out..

Its not manipulation... it's simply not undercutting yourself. By offering the premium, they undercut LE sales when the titles are too close to each other. By not offering a premium until the LE market is done... they satisfy everyone and optimize their sales.

Even if LEs don't sell out... if they felt there were sufficient demand to sell the premium tier I'm sure they would have made it after they gave the LE it's window of opportunity. There is no reason not too if they can move the units.

Their job is to sell the most games at the best margins they can - that's how they stay in business.

The writing was on the wall for this one... it was only a matter of time and if the demand was there.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Personally, I think the Premium is the least ascetically pleasing choice of the 3.

I agree. I was personally hoping for Pro art with LE gameplay for the premium.

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Even if LEs don't sell out... if they felt there were sufficient demand to sell the premium tier I'm sure they would have made it after they gave the LE it's window of opportunity. There is no reason not too if they can move the units.

It SO is time to get rid of the LE model, just pro and premiums. Getting silly and just pissing people off over and over.

#149 4 years ago

Stern could still make this right...

Free Fish Tank Toppers for verified TWD LE owners!

#150 4 years ago

How many LEs were made? Maybe if they go back to making the LE a true LE as far as number produced is concerned, around 200 or 250, they wouldn't need to worry about selling out the LE. Then they can make money on the Premium and Pro.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 16.00
$ 199.99
There are 1076 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 22.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside