New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 213834)

TWD Premium worth 1800 more than the pro?

By iloveplywood

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by vbittnv
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I've pretty much decided to get a TWD but now I have to make the dreaded pro vs premium decision. I've read a bunch of older threads and there seems to be a pretty sharp split between the two versions even taking cost out of the equation(walker bombs vs bicycle girl ramp). I guess I'm wondering if I just put blinders on and got the Pro would I be consumed with regret not getting the walker bombs/extra magnets and better light show? Is it worth $1800 that I could put towards another pin?

I realize no one can really answer these questions for me, but I like reading other people's thoughts on pinball (almost as much as playing sometimes).

Gracias!

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

I realize no one can really answer these questions for me...

Congrats!

#3 2 years ago

Isn't it more like $1000 more than the pro?

I think the Prem is way cooler. I love the walker bombs and the lifting ramp.

#4 2 years ago

Go premium

De Nada!

#5 2 years ago

Another difference is the multicoloured light show on the inserts. If price is out of the equation I'd go premium. If you really decide you like the flow better without the bicycle girl bash toy you can disable the ramp in the settings so it's always down.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Another difference is the multicoloured light show on the inserts. If price is out of the equation I'd go premium. If you really decide you like the flow better without the bicycle girl bash toy you can disable the ramp in the settings so it's always down.

Oh . . . did not know that (bicycle girl ramp thingy).

As far as price difference I'm going by a few ads I've seen here. Looking at NIB from the GAP (in Chicago) it was a 2k difference, but I saw a couple of used ones with about an $1800 difference (though the Premium did have some nice mods). If it was $1000 I think I'd pull the trigger on the premium for sure.

#7 2 years ago

I like everything better on the premium except for the lift ramp. I have bash toy fatigue as it is, so I don't think this game really needs a 3rd bash. Being able to disable the ramp is a bonus, but it's still not as smooth or reliable as a ramp on the pro. The other extras are pretty dang cool though.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I like everything better on the premium except for the lift ramp. I have bash toy fatigue as it is, so I don't think this game really needs a 3rd bash. Being able to disable the ramp is a bonus, but it's still not as smooth or reliable as a ramp on the pro. The other extras are pretty dang cool though.

How is that a bash?

Lift ramps are cool. I love being able to volley backhand that shot when the ramp is up, like double or nothing on Jackbot. It adds a cool shot option that isn't there on the pro - making it an actual function and improvement on the game unlike most Prem/LE window dressing.

#9 2 years ago

I have a pro at my place. You're more than welcome to give it a test drive.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How is that a bash?

Because it's just a dead end target to smack into. Granted it's only there momentarily, but it's another hit with a hard stop on it. Lift ramps are fine in most games that use them, I just don't like the one on TWD because it makes the actual ramp shot goofy. You basically have to mod it or you get rejections from clean shots quite often.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Because it's just a dead end target to smack into. Granted it's only there momentarily, but it's another hit with a hard stop on it. Lift ramps are fine in most games that use them, I just don't like the one on TWD because it makes the actual ramp shot goofy. You basically have to mod it or you get rejections from clean shots quite often.

How do you mod the BG ramp to make it smoother like the Pro jar155? This is my number one complaint about the Premium.

I find the Pro plays smoother but love the light show of the Premium. Choice depends on which is most important to you.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

If you install the protector shield shouldn't be an issue. What is an issue is the fact that these shipped originally with no dampening grommets and the shield cracks and breaks away in short order. If you install with rubber grommets they last much longer and keep shots from rejecting.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleaterkiss:

How do you mod the BG ramp to make it smoother like the Pro jar155? This is my number one complaint about the Premium.

See below.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you install the protector shield shouldn't be an issue. What is an issue is the fact that these shipped originally with no dampening grommets and the shield cracks and breaks away in short order. If you install with rubber grommets they last much longer and keep shots from rejecting.

Yeah, it's a bummer it's not on all machines. I unluckily come across a lot of dodgy ramps, but when the mod is in place, it's all good.

#14 2 years ago

The premium is one of the best dmd's ever made. The bicycle girl lit up looks cool with the mod from Gnassel. The pro is great too, but the walker bomb and the lighting are excellent on the premium.

#16 2 years ago

Premium is the only way to go on TWD.

The Woodbury drop target and magnet in front of the well walker make it significantly more difficult than the pro, however, so if you’re not an above average player and good at nudging, it may be frustrating if you’re used to the easier pro.

#17 2 years ago

Yes.

#18 2 years ago

From experience the light show is a significant difference in the premium. It's an absolute killer though to have to spend 1500+ for basically that as the other upgrades aren't imperative

What we need is the time bandit version. What is that? It's the pro with his total light show mod. That would be ideal. Save the cash and get what you really want (better light show). It's what available on MET but unfortunately not available yet for twd

#19 2 years ago

Go pro

#20 2 years ago

I've pretty much decided to get a TWD but now I have to make the dreaded pro vs premium decision. I've read a bunch of older threads and there seems to be a pretty sharp split between the two versions even taking cost out of the equation(walker bombs vs bicycle girl ramp). I guess I'm wondering if I just put blinders on and got the Pro would I be consumed with regret not getting the walker bombs/extra magnets and better light show? Is it worth $1800 that I could put towards another pin?
I realize no one can really answer these questions for me, but I like reading other people's thoughts on pinball (almost as much as playing sometimes).
Gracias!

My TWD premium is for sale. Make the trip. Lol. Cheap too.

#21 2 years ago

TWD Premium worth 1800 more than the pro?

Most assuredly. Go for the full featured version - you won't regret it.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

My TWD premium is for sale. Make the trip. Lol. Cheap too.

I saw that. Great price too. I guess it's time to drop the lame. "If only I was closer!"

#23 2 years ago

i had an le and sold it. got the pro right after. the ls ramp on pre and le isnt smooth and it is very clunky. a pet peeve of mine is i have to have smooth ramps like metallica. everything on pre and le is very cool.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Premium is the only way to go on TWD.
The Woodbury drop target and magnet in front of the well walker make it significantly more difficult than the pro, however, so if you’re not an above average player and good at nudging, it may be frustrating if you’re used to the easier pro.

Those things may add a little difficulty, but when you factor in the Walker Bombs and the scoring from the Woodbury spinner, the Premium/LE plays much easier and scores higher than the Pro overall. Getting to Last Man Standing on a Pro is something only a select group of people will ever do on factory settings.

#25 2 years ago

FWIW, I bought a NIB Pro and love it. Never did enjoy playing the Prem as much.

#26 2 years ago

Crossbow
Spinners
Walker bombs
Lift ramp
Walker magnet
Color changing GI
Fish talk with interactive heads
Real work rails
Real lock bar
Leg protectors
Woodbury drop target
Walker bash head

#27 2 years ago

I love the lighting, walker bombs, and spinner on the premium and that’s about it.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

FWIW, I bought a NIB Pro and love it. Never did enjoy playing the Prem as much.

1+

Play both and buy the one you enjoyed more

#29 2 years ago

I'll walk away from a premium/LE that doesn't have the modded ramp. It's that big of a turn off for me. If you get one, for the good of your own sanity and for the sanity of those who visit, mod that thing.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Fish talk with interactive heads

I've never noticed the talking fish. Did Stern make an LE with Big Mouth Billy Bass in it?

#31 2 years ago

I have owned a nib TWD premium from day one, never modded the left ramp, and rarely have any rejects or clunky shots. The vast majority of shots seamlessly flow up the ramp.

Too bad it’s such a wide spread issue as I feel the Premium enhancements are pretty cool on this model.

Pro is still very fun though...

#32 2 years ago

Ended up with a pro... the premium has the lightshow which is really cool, but honestly for a SAM game the pro is actually pretty solid in the lightshow department. The premium also has the spinners which I would love on the pro. The crossbow is cool to see one time, then it blows, the Well walker does not need another magnet, and the left ramp absolutely does NOT need another bash toy.. , plus the geometry if the ramp is messed up due to the flap. The walker bombs I never leaned to play with so Im not missing them, plus it makes the game easier. Either way its such a great game but for me, I could not justify the +$2k difference for the premium with some features that would drive me crazy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside