Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by heme
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

comparison.jpg
ST.jpg
acdc.jpg
MET.jpg
image-117.jpg
image-880.jpg
image-742.jpg
image-11.jpg
image-367.jpg
image.jpg
20150117_113033.jpg
20150117_113226.jpg
20150117_113124.jpg
20150117_111640.jpg
image-662.jpg
image-16.jpg

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I almost didn't play my TWD since I got it, because it was basically unplayable due to the outlanes without the usual mini-post above the plastic inlanes top. Some have drilled a hole to install a regular post, but... I couldn't decide to drill a brand new playfield.
So I had another idea this morning, with a piece of very thick/robust copper wire I had left.
A little bending and a washer later, here it is. Works perfectly, maybe I'll revert to the original post above to get a good balance.

Mc Gyver.jpg
#2 4 years ago

Nice!

#3 4 years ago

Yes, looks a bit harsh on this close up and without the ramp, but once the wire ramp is installed and from the players wiew, not noticeable. Same on the right side. And finally those outlanes are "normal", very few drains on the left, and few on the right. But there are so many STDM's on mine that the pin is STILL one of the most difficult I have.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks Crispy. I took your idea and modified a bit. It works great! Balls still drain through these outlines, but not as much. Below are photos of right & left outlines with the modification.

TWD Left.jpg TWD Right.jpg
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from AvidPinPlayer:

Thanks Crispy. I took your idea and modified a bit. It works great! Balls still drain through these outlines, but not as much. Below are photos of right & left outlines with the modification.

TWD Left.jpg 108 KB

TWD Right.jpg 178 KB

Hey Mr APP, what exactly is it and how does it attach to the original post please?

#6 4 years ago

I curse Borg for this frustrating design, the Middle divider should be as far up as the top sling post, the side drains are woeful, even my wife has asked me to mod this area somehow, well done on the mini post setup, I'm reluctant to change anything as this is how it was designed, would like to see the audits on side drains & games played, nudging forward does help a lot, wait & see

#7 4 years ago

Also Crrispy I noticed you have also fited a plastic post,

The sling shot side action is wild on TWD, more times than offen it drains from this, wonder if lowering coil strength would be helpful,

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

I curse Borg for this frustrating design, the Middle divider should be as far up as the top sling post, the side drains are woeful, even my wife has asked me to mod this area somehow, well done on the mini post setup, I'm reluctant to change anything as this is how it was designed, would like to see the audits on side drains & games played, nudging forward does help a lot, wait & see

Plus 1 Luke, the middle sitting higher is an absolute killer.
I'd love to see how a skilled player deals with it

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Jdfitzy-in-Aus:

Hey Mr APP, what exactly is it and how does it attach to the original post please?

Its just a piece of a metal clothes hanger, cut to meet the height of the pin's plastic post and bent to loop around the screw that goes through the plastic post. If you loop the wire correctly the tightening of the screw will pin the wire next to the plastic post. Then add whatever rubbers you want, that is, a rubber post, or O ring. Ensure the correct alignment in order not to block the in/out lanes.

#10 4 years ago

There's a easier fix with a standard post rubber and a exacto knife. I'll show u later today when I get home. It makes it wrap around that clear plastic end

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Jdfitzy-in-Aus:

Plus 1 Luke, the middle sitting higher is an absolute killer.
I'd love to see how a skilled player deals with it

I would never deign to call myself a skilled player, but my technique of nudging the shit out of it seems to be working for me Simply put, you cannot afford to let it go into that area. Nudge it of the first rubber it hits and get it out. I took a cue from Bowen, who in a video he answered the question of "how do you get it to go in the inlane versus the outlane" to which he replied "Don't let it go in the lanes at all" - On TWD only use the ramps to get in there. Anything else and you're playing with zombies.

I have 3 pins. PoTC, Xmen, and TWD. I would summarize them as follows.
- PoTC, you're having fun sailing the 7 seas with Pirates (Minimal nudging)
- XMen, you're fighting evil super villains to save the world (Active play/nudging)
- TWD, Try not to die (Go hit the gym to bulk up, and start manhandling that table)

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from AvidPinPlayer:

Its just a piece of a metal clothes hanger, cut to meet the height of the pin's plastic post and bent to loop around the screw that goes through the plastic post. If you loop the wire correctly the tightening of the screw will pin the wire next to the plastic post. Then add whatever rubbers you want, that is, a rubber post, or O ring. Ensure the correct alignment in order not to block the in/out lanes.

Cheers, appreciate the info

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

the divider is lower on many if not most games.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

There's a easier fix with a standard post rubber and a exacto knife. I'll show u later today when I get home. It makes it wrap around that clear plastic end

interested to see this

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I'm in for this!!!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Where's the fix!!!

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

Where's the fix!!!

What he describes sounds like what I did, but it doesn't take care of the post that seems to matter most which is the inside post pictured in Avid's fix. Which seems to be the best type of fix, as it won't make the lane to the flippers any smaller, which obviously you want to avoid.

TWDPost.jpg
#18 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

... been a few days now.

Make with the photos and description please.

#19 4 years ago

Why doesn't everyone just put a 1 inch rubber from the lane guide to the adjustable post. Then the ball will never drain! The outlanes are difficult but that isn't stopping people from posting scores above 200Mil on location.

#20 4 years ago

I was kind of thinking the same thing. The games I've played on the ones on route here don't seem to be drain monsters to the outlines all that much. I actually think the metal rails in Metallica on the left inlane is more or an issue.

Heck, if it makes people enjoy there game more, then I say to go for it, but I don't see this being all that necessary.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

... been a few days now.
Make with the photos and description please.

Don't have walking dead here to show u so this is the same outlane just no post in front of it... Cut the rubber with a exacto knife like so and it stays wrapped around the plastic post on its own.

image-16.jpgimage-609.jpgimage-222.jpg

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

What he describes sounds like what I did, but it doesn't take care of the post that seems to matter most which is the inside post pictured in Avid's fix. Which seems to be the best type of fix, as it won't make the lane to the flippers any smaller, which obviously you want to avoid.

TWDPost.jpg 133 KB

Here is your other option for the post on the upper right or upper left side into the lane drain....with out drilling into the play field
Remove the post and install this Siamese post. It has two screw holes in it but u only need to use one. When u tighten it down it won't move.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-17492C

Here's a picture
image-662.jpg

#23 4 years ago

You guys should just set it on 5 ball and add extra ball in the replay settings for every 3 million points.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Don't have Walking Dead here to show u so this is the same outlane just no post in front of it... Cut the rubber with a exacto knife like so and it stays wrapped around the plastic post on its own.

image-222.jpg 193 KB

image-609.jpg 120 KB

image-16.jpg 153 KB

thanks. Nice little modification.

#25 4 years ago

My TWD Pro does not have any unusual issues with too many balls going down the outlanes. No more than any of my other pinball machines. Is this an issue with the LE only?

#26 4 years ago

Why are people changing the original design to make the game easier? I would never do this, any score you achieve will have a giant asterisk next to it. Its one thing to adjust the outlines to the tightest setting as possible, its another to go beyond that and shrink they past the original intention of the design.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Is this an issue with the LE only?

Sounds more like an issue with those that don't like to have their ass handed to them by a pinball machine.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

My TWD Pro does not have any unusual issues with too many balls going down the outlanes. No more than any of my other pinball machines. Is this an issue with the LE only?

No, it is an issue with guys who don't know how to nudge and think that a challenging design is one that needs to be "fixed".

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

Why are people changing the original design to make the game easier? I would never do this, any score you achieve will have a giant asterisk next to it. Its one thing to adjust the outlines to the tightest setting as possible, its another to go beyond that and shrink they past the original intention of the design.

I say do whatever you want to enjoy your game. Similar to SR saying that STNNG is approved with lane extenders due to how brutal it can be. I say if it is YOUR game, then feel free to do whatever you want.

I personally just wanted to see the creative modification.

#30 4 years ago

Well those are two options that are not perminant fixes

#31 4 years ago

Here's my new fix without drilling.

20150117_111640.jpg 20150117_113124.jpg 20150117_113226.jpg 20150117_113033.jpg
#32 4 years ago

While I can appreciate the ingenuity, I'm confused about what exactly this is fixing. I don't see anything that needs to be fixed on my game. Is this simply a way to extend the inlane/outlane post in order to help alleviate side drains?

#33 4 years ago

yes.

#34 4 years ago

I would call this more of a mod than a fix since nothing's actually broken.

You guys who feel the need to do this should be glad Barry Oursler is not working at Stern. He is the king of nasty outlanes, but I love many of his games. Dirty Harry's outlanes are a beast but it's one of my favorite players!

#35 4 years ago

Wouldn't the easiest fix be to string a rubber from post to post across the outlane?

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

TWDPost.jpg 133 KB

I like this fix the best.

#37 4 years ago

Just nudge the beast. Point of the game is to try to survive. Bet you guys set Tron to 4 degree pitches too!

#38 4 years ago

Anyone care to go into the settings and report their percentage of outlane ball drains? What's considered acceptable to most players here?

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

What's considered acceptable to most players here?

!00% outlane drains is acceptable by me. The ball has to leave the playfield somewhere, and if it does I might as well get some points. If the game being discussed is too brutal, try a LOTR instead. After a while, you may wonder why the ball never drains.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

You guys who feel the need to do this should be glad Barry Oursler is not working at Stern. He is the king of nasty outlanes ...

Amen to that! The outlanes on my Pinbot make the outlanes on my TWD look like a walk in the park.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Amen to that! The outlanes on my Pinbot make the outlanes on my TWD look like a walk in the park.

Agreed, same with space shuttle, wide lanes and no rubber. Brutal but that's part of the design.these were made to get you too put money in repeatedly. If games played to long they made less money.

#42 4 years ago

I don't get it either, the outlanes aren't that bad on TWD.

The only frustrating issue is what markmon addressed and I might try, just remove the rubber on the post to help fight the inlane bounce into the outlane, that one is so sensitive its hard to nudge it properly.

#43 4 years ago

Nice fixes..now if someone could come up with a mod for an extra opening to the left of the top jet bumper it would be great.

#44 4 years ago

I glued popcicle sticks to the end of my flippers to end those annoying balls that drain down the middle .

#45 4 years ago

TWD a has the worst Outlane drains of any pin I have ever played. Absolutely brutal and nudges hardly ever work. Only game I've played where my nudging is 98% useless. It is ruining the game for me as well. The left is like a vacuum cleaner sucking in your ball.

#46 4 years ago

Agree with above, I'm still persisting with borg's design,

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

TWD a has the worst Outlane drains of any pin I have ever played. Absolutely brutal and nudges hardly ever work. Only game I've played where my nudging is 98% useless. It is ruining the game for me as well. The left is like a vacuum cleaner sucking in your ball.

never played The Who's Tommy then? Watch Kerin's PAPA tute and see how brutal those suckers are.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

then you never played anything form the 80s or older.

#49 4 years ago

Why the huge variations in drains on the same game? My TWD has no drain issues at all, and have seen posts by other TWD owners that have no drain issues . Is this a Pro vs. LE issue or maybe the leveling ?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.00
Machine - For Sale
Cumberland, RI
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside