Topic poll

“Which game to you prefer/has the most potential?”

• The Walking Dead Pro 40 votes
    45%
  • Star Trek Pro 49 votes
    55%

(89 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 4 years ago

Im looking to add another new stern to my new collection. There isn't a TWD near for me to try, but the game looks really good. Ive played Star Trek with early code and liked it. I really can't decide which game to get. Any opinions? I currently have the following in my lineup: AC/DC Luci, Metallica Pro, Iron Man VE, and am picking up a nice Dirty Harry. Anybody have any comparisons between the two games in question?

Thanks for your input

#2 4 years ago

I have a Star Trek pro and a twdle. I have played a twd pro on location

My friends that come over prefer the ST over TWDLE

I prefer TWDLE over TWD pro

Right now I like my ST pro over TWDLE because I'm starting to really be able to make the shots now and I'm feeling how deep the code is. However I do love playing my TWDLE

The ST has more flow than TWD. TWD is more of a bash game that will punish you if you don't make the shots.

but if it is ST pro vs TWD pro

I vote ST pro all the way.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for your input! I like the look of the LE of the games, but I feel like the Star Trek Pro doesn't suffer too much from not having the LE features. Not sure about the TWD, but it does look pretty solid too without the LE features.

#4 4 years ago

Twdle is a harder game then the twd pro. The pro has a lower left ramp which made it very easy to make each time. And the ball will return to the right flipper. Where in the LE. U hit the bicyle girl. The ball is in play in the pf and it could drain. I like GI of the LE and the extra features for visual and difficulty

For ST. If a LE came up for sale close to me a decent price. I would make the upgrade. The light show everywhere is crazy

#5 4 years ago

Definently TWD. I've Owned both and TWD has much more staying power. I LOVED ST for the first few months then it got too repetitive. The modes are much better in TWD, they all feel different and have different shots to them.

#6 4 years ago

wow- its pretty close. Im leaning toward star trek pro- but it does look like there is a lot more going on in TWD. Im only interested in the pro- I decided the extra $ for the LE's was better spent on getting more pins.

#7 4 years ago

ST pro = great game design with flaws in code

TWD PRO = great code with flaws in game design.

Code can be fixed; design can not.

Don't get me wrong though, STs code is still fun and fast. But it's got bugs and a need of a hint of polish. The big question is IF and WHEN will stern fix those issues.

TWD has fun code for the most part. Personally, I'm sick of bashing X 10 times to start multiball which is what TWDLE is for its two main mbs. Code can fix this. What code can't fix is the fact that the pops exit is poorly designed which wouldn't be a problem if the ball wasn't in the pops so darn much!

#8 4 years ago

I just bought a ST pro so you know what I like. The painted trim on the premium is much nicer to touch than the pro but that's not worth $2,000. I love how ST plays - fast and smooth with great theatrics. It's easy for the novice to play and has enough depth for the more advanced player. I don't get the complaints that it's repetitive. All pinball is repetitive with hitting the same shots and doing the same modes. Getting combos and nailing shots never gets old. Games that drain fast and punish you for every mistake is what gets old for me.

I tried to like TWD and couldn't get into it. It would help if I knew the rules better or watched the show but still didn't find it all that fun or interesting. The only other Stern I thought was pretty cool was ACDC. I don't care for the theme but gameplay was much more lively and fun. Steve Ritchie knows his stuff. Don't buy anything unless you have tried it.

#9 4 years ago

Neither. Pins arn't exactly cheap. Decisions like this should not be left to other people. Even if you can't find TWD anywhere. Your money isn't going any place. Take your time, go to pinball shows, they show up all the time. CA has tons of TWD and ST pins. I'm sure you can find someone that has one or knows someone that bought one. Play it...spend time on it. 50 games on each...MINIMUM. You might find that you don't like either and you saved your money for something you do like.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

Im looking to add another new stern to my new collection. There isn't a TWD near for me to try, but the game looks really good. Ive played Star Trek with early code and liked it. I really can't decide which game to get. Any opinions? I currently have the following in my lineup: AC/DC Luci, Metallica Pro, Iron Man VE, and am picking up a nice Dirty Harry. Anybody have any comparisons between the two games in question?
Thanks for your input

I've played both of them at a few shows and at a place near me. While I really like the show (Walking Dead) -- I didn't really have a great time playing the machine.

Star Trek reminded me a little bit of Attack from Mars in ramp layout and center toy. Not super difficult to step up and play but plenty of challenge can be found to chain flows off the ramps. The latest code is a major improvement from release, anything they do at this point is extra credit in my opinion.

TWD's layout didn't jive with me. The voice talent used I hear pinsiders gripe about didn't bother me at all.

My summary of TWD was that it was boring, probably wouldn't keep my attention in the rec room but I am definitely in the minority in that opinion.

The last show I was at had three Walking Dead Machines (1 in the tournament room, 1 on the floor and one as a fundraiser) -- They all stayed quite busy, even with repeat players. Moreso, than the STLE on the floor, in fact. (Though the STLE did get plenty of play)

I went home and bought the ST Premium after the show. That being said, if you are going between two machines I really recommend that you look at a road trip to find them both and put some quarters in. Gotta be some Walking Dead's in your area to play.

At the end of the day, I went to the last show strictly with this in mind: Play everything, rank for future purchase. Good luck in your hunt, that's part of the fun!

#11 4 years ago

Love both themes.

Wanted ST but would not buy until I played a machine. Played an LE ST and was not fun, that simple. Really disappointed. Talked to a few local ST owners and the response was kind of bleh.....

Ditto TWD. Played one and it was FUN. Killing Zombies and great shots. Addicting. Some of the negatives I read did not hold up after playing the game.

Examples:

Too much time in the pop bumpers. Actually very similar to MB and MM, a plus during multi-ball as far as I can tell.

No callouts from the show. Don't watch the show so don't care. I like the callouts and so do other people that played the machine.

So......before you buy either one PLAY THE MACHINE. That is the only way you will really know.

#12 4 years ago

PLAY THEM BOTH before deciding. I'm sorry for repeating myself today, but I'm just blown away by people who will drop 1,000's of $$'s on a pin before even playing it.

#13 4 years ago

ST. I own it. Fun pin. Played TWD in Chicago. It was ok. Kinda a drain monster. If you like zombies and so on go for it. Not a pin for me.

#14 4 years ago

I can only speak to ST. It's gets a bad rap for the code but in all honesty it's a really good game right now. The more I've played it the more I like it. I've had a lot a pins do the exact opposite....the more I played them the less I liked them so ST is in a special class for me.

It's a really good machine that could be top 10 all time caliber with just some code tweaking. Really not much to not like about it. Great speed and flow, super fun shots that never seem to get old, awesome light show and sound.

#15 4 years ago

Its pretty close in the poll. I get that its important to play before you pay for these games. Both appear to be really good stern machines. Any idea if Stern is taking ST off the line soon? Id imagine TWD will be in production for a while yet.

#16 4 years ago

I waited for TWD, bought NIB-which I've never done, and it barely lasted 3 months in my collection.
A sad disappointment in what I thought was going to be a terrific game.

ST Pro is better, and there's still one code update to come I believe.

#17 4 years ago

Own TWDle and I keep growing to love it. It gets better with repeated playing. It's a sharpshooter game so it rewards good shot making and punishes otherwise. I played 4 games over a 100 million points yesterday and then 4 games under 15 million this morning. That keeps me coming back. Theme is huge. I love killing zombies. Callouts are fun "we're having goat for dinner!" Come by if you want to play. Not too far away. There's a pro in concord at phoenix games.

#18 4 years ago

I own TWD, and my buddy Nokoro owns ST Pro. I've got a lot of games on each, and really love them both. Sorry I can't help you any more than saying I think either is a great choice. But everyone is also right - play them each a bunch. Worst case you decide not to get either one, but you spent an afternoon playing pinball. There are far worse fates in life

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

Own TWDle and I keep growing to love it. It gets better with repeated playing. It's a sharpshooter game so it rewards good shot making and punishes otherwise. I played 4 games over a 100 million points yesterday and then 4 games under 15 million this morning. That keeps me coming back. Theme is huge. I love killing zombies. Callouts are fun "we're having goat for dinner!" Come by if you want to play. Not too far away. There's a pro in concord at phoenix games.

If by "punishes" you mean "takes you out back and tells you to look at the flowers" then yes I agree
But seriously, its one of this pins strongest aspects. It is frickin BRUTAL, and I love it!

#20 4 years ago

Based on what you own....TWD

#21 4 years ago

I am torn between the two......I picked up a TWD Pro last week and really like it....I have a friend that own a ST Premium and one with an LE, I think ST is a great game too. I have not played a ST Pro, but if its as much fun as the Prem and LE, I would have to give it a slight nod over TWD. Maybe after a get a ton more on TWD I will change my mind

#22 4 years ago

Right now I give ST over TWD just because ST is deeper and has way better callouts. U

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

Right now I give ST over TWD just because ST is deeper and has way better callouts. U

Fair point - as it sits right now, I think that TWD is more about scoring, combos, stacking, and shot strategy, while ST is all about the modes. Not that ST doesn't have the above aspects, but they aren't highlighted in the way TWD is. ST has got the modes. All about the modes, bout the modes, no Asteroids.

#24 4 years ago

I have another option...play Mustang Pro. You might be surprised

#25 4 years ago

Quick question, what is the purpose of the new 'super' magnets on TWD? Is this sterns new design? how are they different than the magnets that have been installed on all the previous games?

#26 4 years ago

I'd lean toward TWD in your collection

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

I'd lean toward TWD in your collection

I agree ,,, I'll sell U mine in a month ,, Will have Every mod Known , except 4 Powder coat ,,

what did i just type

#30 4 years ago

I own a STLE which I really like played a ST pro which I also like so that's what I voted, I played TWD pro it was OK but I'd not add it to my collection, it's a pass for me, I'd rather get a Met pro or wait to see how Wrestlmania turns out or the next game after that would be curious about the next VE (if any).

#31 4 years ago

Trek

#32 4 years ago

Id like to thank everyone that provided their input and voted on my survey. I decided to get the ST pro and I found a local seller with a really nice one. Ill be picking it up next weekend. Now that I don't have a wife to tell me how to spend my money, I also decided to buy a TWD Pro. Guess I couldn't really decide between the two after all! Maybe i'll be having a super bowl party at my place now

Oh- any recommendations on game protectors, etc for the two games?

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

I decided to get the ST pro and I found a local seller with a really nice one. I also decided to buy a TWD Pro.

Now that's the Pinside way!

#34 4 years ago

Trek all the way.

I bought TWD NIB before it was released, and though a good pin - not worth 5Kplus, and not as good as Star Trek.

You really need the Premium with TWD to enjoy it properly, not so with ST.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

ST pro = great game design with flaws in code
TWD PRO = great code with flaws in game design.
Code can be fixed; design can not.
Don't get me wrong though, STs code is still fun and fast. But it's got bugs and a need of a hint of polish. The big question is IF and WHEN will stern fix those issues.
TWD has fun code for the most part. Personally, I'm sick of bashing X 10 times to start multiball which is what TWDLE is for its two main mbs. Code can fix this. What code can't fix is the fact that the pops exit is poorly designed which wouldn't be a problem if the ball wasn't in the pops so darn much!

100% A1 spot on correctamundo.
They never should have bailed on the 2 ways out of the pop area like they planned.

#36 4 years ago

I would vote for Trek. I own a ST premium. It's a lot of fun. The layout is great... seems like an update or two away from being excellent.

I've played TWD pro and LE quite a bit on location. I want to like it as I'm really into to the theme... but I didn't find the game to be fun enough to buy it. Biggest complaint is the frequent STM drains out of the pop bumpers. Never have that problem with the other three games I own, ST, IM, or Tron. Also a good portion of the playfield is taken up by the pops and skill shots from the shooter.

#37 4 years ago

I've gotten good time in on both. It's not even close.

ST Pro every single day and twice on Sunday.

The flow of the game is really good. Sounds top notch. It's awesome

#38 4 years ago

I prefer TWD pro to the LE. I plan on purchasing one when the code is complete.

Walking Dead is sort of like Tron. Great music, great sound effects, some quick games and some longer ones. The gameplay is very risk/reward, and a controlled player will succeed with a well executed strategy.

ST is great though too! Such a good shooter. It's more of a combo based game than WD though. You will find it hard to resist not firing ramp shot after ramp shot. The difficulty is largely self control with this one. 3 wizard modes, 2 multiballs, 18 modes, etc. The warp ramp is a very satisfying shot as well!

Tough call! Either or honestly! You can get the pro in either version though and be satisfied. Save the $2k+! If you just get pros in both instead of premium/LE you'll have enough left over to buy another machine.

Also the bashing in WD isn't much different than bashing standup targets in ST to light locks. Plus in Walking Dead you can get to a multiball in 3 very precise shots. It's difficult, but it's possible!

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

Id like to thank everyone that provided their input and voted on my survey. I decided to get the ST pro and I found a local seller with a really nice one. Ill be picking it up next weekend. Now that I don't have a wife to tell me how to spend my money, I also decided to buy a TWD Pro. Guess I couldn't really decide between the two after all! Maybe i'll be having a super bowl party at my place now
Oh- any recommendations on game protectors, etc for the two games?

lol - can't go wrong with getting both. That's one advantage of being single.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
€ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside