49%
  • AFMr 43 votes
    46%
  • Sod it, get an Alien! 5 votes
    5%

(94 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Thinking of adding to current line up.

Either a Walking Dead Premium or Attack from Mars remake (SE).

I know which way I am leaning, but would like thoughts from owners of these games and players alike.

#2 6 years ago

Both great titles, I personally would go for the TWD premium, but I think in your current line up the AFM would fit in nicely.

#3 6 years ago

AFM is one of greatest games ever, and the remake is beautiful with the large high resolution color screen and LED's. That would be my choice.

#4 6 years ago

AFMR you wont be sorry.

#5 6 years ago
#6 6 years ago

Played both before and TWD all the way.

#8 6 years ago

Get All 3!!!

#9 6 years ago

TWD Premium/LE

#10 6 years ago

What's a premium costing these days. Can PM me if needed.

#11 6 years ago
#12 6 years ago

AFM! I owned TWD and it is awesome, you really can't go wrong with either game! The code on TWD is great but the shot geometry is a little wonky imho (see tunnel shot & poor BG Ramp design) also sdtm drains from pops and prison magnet) also the prison building seems like it was phoned in.

Play both and buy what you love.

#13 6 years ago

Here's my advice having no memory of playing AFMR. Seriously.

AFMR is well loved and often compared to MM. I have a TWD LE and an MMR; I love both of them (and they each have their strengths). So, I definitely want to add an AFMR to my collection at some point, and expect it to be a great game like MMR has been to me.

Deciding between the two, TWD LE/Prem is my favorite at this time. And here's the high-level why. TWD LE/Prem for me is a more challenging game, plus there is more code depth and epic coding. It ends up more fun to play (I play it more often) and there are more modes to explore, each with great depth and variety as well. MMR (and I'd expect AFMR) as an overall package is great (super great), but it's more repetitive in the play style and not as deep. MMR is also a longer playing game for me and I prefer the shorter game times and more challenging nature of TWD. TWD made me a better player, which was cool, and all my other games aren't as difficult now.

IMO, both TWD and AFMR are great pins, each with particular strengths. I'd love to have both in my collection, each for different reasons as well as for the variety they have between each other. I've explained what my preferences are and how that led to my choice, so you can compare to what you prefer and want. I happily acknowledge that personal preferences can often be different.

#14 6 years ago

Do you have a deep nostalgia for AFM? If not does that theme grab you? If not TWD.

#15 6 years ago

AFM is a classic, but TWD is a modern day classic.

#16 6 years ago

TWD premium

#17 6 years ago

I have both. Currently twd. I can't stand the premium though.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

Not to steer this too off topic, but why? Artwork? BG ramp? Walker bombs?

#19 6 years ago

Wow. Can't believe the vote is this close. I would think on gameplay alone AFMr would be miles ahead.

Given your collection, I think AFMr fits better anyway.

#20 6 years ago

i have TWD and have AFMR on order. Think I couldn't live without TWD. So get that and get AFMR next year

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

I agree with this as well. Not a fan of the premium. AFMR all the way.

#23 6 years ago

I had twd pro, frustrating drains. Everything else I liked. Will add afmr soon. Love my mmr!

#24 6 years ago

TWD premium. I had AFM for 10 years so ya know it's got staying power. Also kept it for sentimental value. All in all TWD is a much better game.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

Interesting why do you say this?

So I should get the Pro?

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

i have TWD and have AFMR on order. Think I couldn't live without TWD. So get that and get AFMR next year

That is the way I am leaning, as TWD production will stop soon, by AFMr will be available for 2-3 years yet.

#27 6 years ago

the more i play TWD LE the more i love this one. it is unique layout and game, nothing can close it.
you want something different in your line up, go with TWD. you want something close to your MM, go with AFM

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Interesting why do you say this?
So I should get the Pro?

I have the pro. I have played the premium and didn't like the left ramp or the crossbow. There is at least one Pinsider who owned the premium/LE and swapped for the pro. Can't find the posts he's explained why. Eskaybee has reasons why he thinks the pro is better (or equal) and he used to own the premium.

IMO the pro (should/does) flow better. No bash toy under the left ramp, no Crossbow, some people don't like the extra magnet in front of the Well Walker.

Just because something is *extra* or added doesn't mean it's better, people say they don't like the Scolari brothers on GB premium and the moving ramp on XMLE was meh at best.

Most people who own the LE/premium will say it's better because what else will they say? People who bought the LE would rather have a vasectomy without local anesthesia than to say the pro is better.

The LE does have the best cab art package and the GI lighting effects and the spinners are great.

#29 6 years ago

TWD is simply oustanding, yes its hard but when you do well on it, and you will, you'll have a smile that will last for months.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Most people who own the LE/premium will say it's better because what else will they say? People who bought the LE would rather have a vasectomy without local anesthesia than to say the pro is better.

Kind of an insulting way to express your opinion, don't you think? I know 4 people that had a TWD Pro and upgraded to a Premium and are extremely happy they did so. The only thing better about the Pro is the price and smoothness of the left ramp - which isn't any better if you get the ramp flap extension fix. The premium has a lot of extra features that many people appreciate.

For the OP - upgrades on the TWD Premium:
- BG Lift Ramp -> shot switches between Ramp and Bash toy -> this variation is a big plus IMO
- Well Walker magnet
- 2 spinners - added scoring opportunities
- Woodbury drop target - makes it so Woodbury isn't just an open hole
- Walker Bombs - lockdown bar button
- Crossbow - works great and is an excellent interactive toy IMO
- RGB Arrow inserts and star rollovers - different colors give player more info on which shot to hit - and just look cooler
- Controlled GI Lighting - used for better lighting special effects
- Toy Fishtank with 3 heads and lighting vs a picture

Without trying to insult Pro owners, I'll just say both versions are great but IMO the Premium is better.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Most people who own the LE/premium will say it's better because what else will they say?

How about this - Most people people who buy pros had to sell plasma to get it because they are so broke and have no pinball sense.

Come on man, your comments are ridiculous or you forgot your sarcasm font.

I played both versions extensively and bought the premium. I love it, if I didn't I would have sold it already.

Tell me about the playing difference in between your Star Trek Premium vs a ST Pro. Oh wait, I know your answer, because what else would you say?

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

That is the way I am leaning, as TWD production will stop soon, by AFMr will be available for 2-3 years yet.

if you want to come down to Woking and play Walking dead - let me know dood

Neil.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I have the pro. I have played the premium and didn't like the left ramp or the crossbow. There is at least one Pinsider who owned the premium/LE and swapped for the pro. Can't find the posts he's explained why. Eskaybee has reasons why he thinks the pro is better (or equal) and he used to own the premium.
IMO the pro (should/does) flow better. No bash toy under the left ramp, no Crossbow, some people don't like the extra magnet in front of the Well Walker.
Just because something is *extra* or added doesn't mean it's better, people say they don't like the Scolari brothers on GB premium and the moving ramp on XMLE was meh at best.
The LE does have the best cab art package and the GI lighting effects and the spinners are great.

I kind of agree with your posts but perhaps it could have been put better On ghostbusters there is no question that the premium is the model to have. On TWD its more debatable I agree.

The pro i think does flow better than the Premium on TWD but a little tinkering and the premium can be as good but the spinners make it a lot harder to thread some of the shots (see in the video below) - but id never have the pro because it lacks the atmosphere that the premium has with the lights which on horde is simply the nuts...

warning video has some profianty...

Cheers,
Neil.

#34 6 years ago

Whenever I play TWD the ball goes between the flippers very quickly....I want to like it but apparently I suck so it's not for me?

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Tell me about the playing difference in between your Star Trek Premium vs a ST Pro. Oh wait, I know your answer, because what else would you say?

no playing difference between ST and STLE it's all aesthetics. STLE is like a pro with $$$ of aesthetic mods (notably lighting which you can't add to the pro such as the laser and the insert lights).

I have Tron pro, it looks 10x better with Eli lighted ramps and Arcade mod. Not any debate about that, it looks better with ramp lights and better arcade those are $600 aesthetics.

STLE has color changing inserts (like 40 of them) and has the lighted etched side rails and the metal speaker panel and mirrored backglass and the laser and lighted metal apron, ramp light and, and and.

All aesthetics. I said that TWD LE has the best cabinet art and LE/premium has better lighting.

STLE/Premium does not have any negative aspects beside price. I could take or leave the out lane kick back. I prefer the up-kicker on the left saucer and I think that's actually a positive but not like I'd buy it just for that, but the light show and better trim are nice for me and everyone that comes over says STLE is my best looking pin.

I've played TWD premium several times and didn't feel as smooth to me. I never got to play the premium too much that I got used to having the Walker bombs, so while they are probably nice, I have not got the feel to ever miss them.

Maybe if I owned a premium, I would not downgrade to the pro if I was already used to the walker bombs.

I prefer the pro but the premium/LE is just as good especially if you like the crossbow and moving ramp (I don't).

#36 6 years ago

If you look at the overall weight of evidence, by a large margin most people prefer the TWD Prem/LE over the Pro. It's seen in the reviews, top 100 list, forum posts, and with friends. The TWD Prem/LE is one of the most added feature-rich Prem/LE machines out there from Stern over the pro. There are even more differences than T7 mentioned. I've seen notably more than 10-to-one happy upgraders versus downgraders. But people are infinitely variable and by all means there are some who prefer the Pro version (be it for price, a hate for bash toys, the smoothness of one ramp [seriously], etc). It just so happens that for the TWD Pro, on Pinside there is a very vocal presence from a few.

OP, both TWD versions are great games. By all means buy the Pro if you want or prefer it. It should be about what you want and prefer. The TWD Prem/LE already has its reputation solidly cemented in greatness. And buying a Pro keeps the Prem/LE version more rare, which is a win win.

Rai has a history dumping on the TWD Prem/LE and even its owners (which should be a big red flag). He pumps the Pro hard in every thread about TWD out there, even going to threads specifically about the Prem/LE to talk about it... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-vs-twd-prem-vs-gb-prem-small-collection-1#post-3727598 . He also mentions he hasn't played much of the Prem/LE version.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 26.95
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-or-afmr?hl=joehog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.