20150510_214154.jpg
20150510_214054.jpg
20150510_213502.jpg
20150510_213705.jpg
20150510_213744.jpg
20150509_231647.jpg
Screenshot_2015-05-23-15-26-38.png
#1 8 years ago

I was getting some wear around the magnets so I contacted Cliffy. By my surprise,he sent me 2 protectors to test made of carbon fiber. Only have a hand full of games on it with them installed but that's about to change with having a new software update. So far so good. I'll report back after more play.

Screenshot_2015-05-23-15-26-38.pngScreenshot_2015-05-23-15-26-38.png 20150509_231647.jpg20150509_231647.jpg 20150510_213744.jpg20150510_213744.jpg 20150510_213705.jpg20150510_213705.jpg 20150510_213502.jpg20150510_213502.jpg 20150510_214054.jpg20150510_214054.jpg 20150510_214154.jpg20150510_214154.jpg
#2 8 years ago

They look good, keep us updated. What would we do without Cliffy?

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Ramjet:

They look good, keep us updated. What would we do without Cliffy?

Have shitty looking games

#4 8 years ago

Carbon fiber? Classic.

#5 8 years ago

My PRO with about 12k plays doesn't have that wear. Wonder if your magnet tops are to high ? I hope the carbon doesn't warp like the metal does cause that would be sweet!

#7 8 years ago

I am down for a set, where do we order?

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

I am down for a set, where do we order?

Cliffy will have them for sale on his Web site as soon as I give him the go ahead. He also sent me a metal protector that goes under the left ramp to test but I'm going to see if he'll make a smaller carbon fiber one instead.

1 month later
#9 8 years ago

any progress?

#10 8 years ago

have em both on my machine, works great!

p

#11 8 years ago

where do I buy them? LINK?

#12 8 years ago

Nice! If these hold up I want some for my Met and Im.

#13 8 years ago

You need to contact Cliffy directly and ask him about them...They are not yet on the site.

#14 8 years ago

Sounds great. Had the metal version installed twice but both curled up and had to remove them.

Are these expected not to curl up?

#16 8 years ago

If no curl, that would be sweet. The carbon fiber must dissipate the heat from the magnet better than the steel ones. I'll be ordering several of these.

#17 8 years ago

The steel ones are awful I had them on three games and they all curled. Now they live in the garbage

#18 8 years ago

A lot of people bitch about Stern but the new magnet core assemblies are great. The cores are still nice an flat and the surrounding play field area is practically un-harmed.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

A lot of people bitch about Stern but the new magnet core assemblies are great. The cores are still nice an flat and the surrounding play field area is practically un-harmed.

yes, I had no wear on my machine after hundreds of play, but wasn't taking any chances so I got the protectors just in case.

4 months later
#20 8 years ago

Just put mine on last night and am wondering how they are holding up for those of you've that have had them on for months?

#21 8 years ago

Anyone know where to find replacement magnet cores for these new style magnets on TWD? Mine still look good, just curious as to where to find them. I usually replace my magnet cores on Sterns every so often just so they look nice.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Just put mine on last night and am wondering how they are holding up for those of you've that have had them on for months?

I've had mine on for months now and they are holding up pretty good so far. The only thing I would caution you on is the edges disintegrate into a sort of powder and leave little pepper like carbon fiber pieces on your playfield in that area so you want to clean that area regularly because you don't want that Carbon fiber pepper to scratch and ruin your playfield.

#23 8 years ago

I just ordered a pair for my Iron Man (picking up the pin this Saturday!). I've always used and love his products. Carefully designed and work very well to protect where the original pin manufacturer skimped.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

The only thing I would caution you on is the edges disintegrate into a sort of powder and leave little pepper like carbon fiber pieces on your playfield in that area so you want to clean that area regularly because you don't want that Carbon fiber pepper to scratch and ruin your playfield.

Yikes! This sounds worse than having no protector in the first place!

Thinking maybe I should take them off??

#25 8 years ago

I still have mine on, I just clean regularly, no big deal.

#26 8 years ago

I still have mine on, I just clean regularly, no big deal.

soooooo do I give you a smiley face because of a good comment or a plain face for valuable input or a frown face because i do not like pepper flakes......AAAAAARGH TOO MANY CHOICES! why is this so difficult now

#27 8 years ago

Screw it you get a friggin gold star

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Screw it you get a friggin gold star

Or a trash can

#29 8 years ago

I would caution against using these and I wish I never installed mine. Besides the "flakes" which may or may not scratch up the playfield, the magnet protector by the prison door was causing the ball to hop and often times go higher than the prison door optos, causing them not to register. I would say this happened about 30% of the time.

I ended up pulling them off using the hair dryer method and thankfully no paint came off. It did seem to leave a stitching pattern indentation around the area where the Well Walker magnet is, but that's only seen in a certain light (sort of like playfield dimples). I'm not excited about that, and I'm out $30, but now my prison is registering hits 100% of the time again and I don't have to worry about obsessively cleaning because of flaking.

I love Cliffy's protectors and use them on all my games. But in this case, I don't think the magnet is needed, based on Stern's new magnet design and evidence out there that this area really doesn't wear. If someone insists on getting them, my recommendation would be to NOT put them on until there is some damage in that area. After all, this protector covers the area that's damaged, so why not wait until there's actual damage there in the first place? An even better method would be to make some protectors yourself made out of vinyl. I've used vinyl magnet protectors in other games and they work perfect. They are thin and the adhesive is strong enough to last, but not strong enough to damage the playfield should you decide to remove it.

Hope this helps.

#30 8 years ago

Use .01 cent of mylar! That's what I did!!

#31 8 years ago

Cling vinyl all the way around for me.

I think it looks great QB and that's why I won't use Cliffys and a bunch of metal all over my pins but carbon fiber looks cool. It ls ashame it leaves carbon dust.

My goal is to wear my play fields out in my lifetime! I can always replace them

#32 8 years ago

I would caution against using these and I wish I never installed mine. Besides the "flakes" which may or may not scratch up the playfield, the magnet protector by the prison door was causing the ball to hop and often times go higher than the prison door optos, causing them not to register. I would say this happened about 30% of the time.
I ended up pulling them off using the hair dryer method and thankfully no paint came off. It did seem to leave a stitching pattern indentation around the area where the Well Walker magnet is, but that's only seen in a certain light (sort of like playfield dimples). I'm not excited about that, and I'm out $30, but now my prison is registering hits 100% of the time again and I don't have to worry about obsessively cleaning because of flaking.
I love Cliffy's protectors and use them on all my games. But in this case, I don't think the magnet is needed, based on Stern's new magnet design and evidence out there that this area really doesn't wear. If someone insists on getting them, my recommendation would be to NOT put them on until there is some damage in that area. After all, this protector covers the area that's damaged, so why not wait until there's actual damage there in the first place? An even better method would be to make some protectors yourself made out of vinyl. I've used vinyl magnet protectors in other games and they work perfect. They are thin and the adhesive is strong enough to last, but not strong enough to damage the playfield should you decide to remove it.
Hope this helps.

Ah, thanks for this info! That's why my prison Optos only register 50% of the time. I tried everything to fix it. I guess mine are coming off too for that reason

#33 8 years ago

Ah, thanks for this info! That's why my prison Optos only register 50% of the time. I tried everything to fix it. I guess mine are coming off too for that reason

Be super careful and take your time. Like I said in my post, the hair dryer method worked fine. But it was tense thinking I may pull up paint while doing this procedure.

#34 8 years ago

removing mine as well as I had some complaints about the same thing

#35 8 years ago

Also, pull towards the magnet, not away. You run the biggest risk of pulling up the clear coat at the edge of the playfield.

#36 8 years ago

Also, pull towards the magnet, not away. You run the biggest risk of pulling up the clear coat at the edge of the playfield.

What do you mean pull towards the magnet?

#37 8 years ago

This is just di-noc vinyl. Great stuff!

#38 8 years ago

What do you mean pull towards the magnet?

Start peeling it up from the outside of the sticker, not the inside.

1 month later
#39 8 years ago

Just installed the carbon protectors on the prison door magnet and the opto began missing hits about 50% of the time because the ball would jump over the protector. Taking it off tomorrow. Might try freeze spray for this.

I think I'll just put down some Mylar around that magnet and make sure it's a bit higher than the pf.

I'll leave it on the well walker as not having any problems there.

#40 8 years ago

I've played 1000's of games and my prison magnet is like new bar a few dimples Why bother with magnet protectors for a home use game? And you've created a problem now with the opto's lol

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

I've played 1000's of games and my prison magnet is like new bar a few dimples Why bother with magnet protectors for a home use game? And you've created a problem now with the opto's lol

Not concerned about dimples on the magnet. The protector is for the playfield around the magnet which is prone to wear like:
407734-2.png407734-2.png

426809.jpg426809.jpg

But this new magnet design used in TWD with the larger metal plate surrounding the magnetic core probably eliminates a lot of the problem. And Ive raised the magnet slightly above the PF which should also help.

#42 8 years ago

Fair enough on MET but with the new TWD design I was unaware it was prone to PF wear also.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Fair enough on MET but with the new TWD design I was unaware it was prone to PF wear also.

Yeh, with the new magnet it looks unlikely. In the photo above I think the magnet might be below the PF slightly which is causing the wear on the edge. Ill just run with some mylar - not having the prison shots register sucks - and makes a hard game even harder.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-magnet-cliffy-protectors-carbon-fiber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.