Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Breadfan
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-230.jpg
20150206_190037.jpg
image.jpg
20150119_175631.jpg
20150119_175653.jpg
20150118_161130.jpg
20150118_161150.jpg
20150105_164058.jpg
20150118_094814-653.jpg
20150118_094849-878.jpg
20150118_094905-981.jpg
20150117_113033.jpg
20150117_113226.jpg
20150117_113124.jpg
20150117_111640.jpg
20141231_003504.jpg

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

The left drain has been driving me,& everyone else that plays crazy. I've dropped the plumb bob down for max nudging,& added star posts,but still no good. I dug through some boxes of old parts today and found this huge bumper post that I thought I'd try. not sure what it went to,but so far it works like a champ. I'll report back after more plays.

20141231_003230.jpg 20141231_003253.jpg 20141231_003504.jpg
#2 4 years ago

well, not sure if they're all member here (...), but some guys did drilled the playfield just over the plastic lane to add a small post

#3 4 years ago

Yeah some guys have been throwing in extra mini posts

#4 4 years ago

Is the left drain that brutal on TWD?

#5 4 years ago

It is.

When the ball is going for the right outlane you can get physical and save it from draining, but on the left side there's like zero chance to save it. I've managed to save it once in about 100 games and I have a very physical playstyle.

It's a shame really that they didn't put a post or something there that would have made the game more forgiving. There's pretty much no skill known to man on how to save a ball from draining on a TWD when the ball has decided to go for the left outlane. I guess we simply have to live with it, but it has taken some time to accept it. Unless you want to get medieval on the playfield (like drilling), but in my opinion that is taking things to far. The game is still very playable - and addictive.

#6 4 years ago

Dang I didn't think the left outline was that brutal.
But whatever makes you enjoy it more, Im all for

#7 4 years ago

Rather than adding any rubbers or posts, I removed the rubbers on the left inlane. This opened the outlane a bit more but it so prevented those bounce into inlanes then into outlanes. It's actually been way better.

#8 4 years ago

I've had a lot of luck with a very firm forward nudge, to get it to bounce off of SOMEthing before it gets in there. Side to side on the slings is absolutely terrifying in this game. Most lethal I've ever played. Except for when I'm trying to build up a nice score on Nokoro's Star Trek Pro. When I'm trying to do that his outlanes magically grow more sizes than the fucking grinches heart on Christmas morning.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

The left drain has been driving me,& everyone else that plays crazy. I've dropped the plumb bob down for max nudging,& added star posts,but still no good. I dug through some boxes of old parts today and found this huge bumper post that I thought I'd try. not sure what it went to,but so far it works like a champ. I'll report back after more plays.

20141231_003230.jpg 183 KB

20141231_003253.jpg 191 KB

20141231_003504.jpg 194 KB

That post is the same as the two posts on a gottlieb Volcano that keep the big metal ball guide in place.

#10 4 years ago

All Borg pins are left sided drain monsters. we should have a poll; what Borg pin drains the most on the left outlane?

BBH
IM
TRON
XMEN
MET
TWD

Dam all those are left outlane drain whores. My vote goes to BBH or MET

#11 4 years ago

The more of these I see kind of posts I see, the better ai feel about getting the pro.

Stern has got to do a better job with there LE/Prems

nah just play better!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

The more of these I see kind of posts I see, the better ai feel about getting the pro.
Stern has got to do a better job with there LE/Prems
Sorry you are having problems.

? They are designed that way purposefully by Borg. All of his games have a lot of random drains. It's part of what makes me love them and hate them all at the same time : ) The LE and the Pro's have the same outlanes.

I don't think TWD is that bad, the slings are hard to control and you get some random drains but you can still put together some really good games. What I find the hardest about TWD is that everything tends to feed the slings which creates the outlane drains. Definately a challenge to play.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

? They are designed that way purposefully by Borg. All of his games have a lot of random drains. It's part of what makes me love them and hate them all at the same time : ) The LE and the Pro's have the same outlanes.
I don't think TWD is that bad, the slings are hard to control and you get some random drains but you can still put together some really good games. What I find the hardest about TWD is that everything tends to feed the slings which creates the outlane drains. Definately a challenge to play.

I know. I was sort of being serious sarcastic.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

All Borg pins are left sided drain monsters. we should have a poll; what Borg pin drains the most on the left outlane?
BBH
IM
TRON
XMEN
MET
TWD

On factory settings, they all drain heavily on the left, but IM seems the worst to me.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

BBH
IM
TRON
XMEN
MET
TWD

BBH! Hands down! That's what I traded towards twd & it's not even close, BBH wins! Lol

#16 4 years ago

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Oh ya, I forgot avatar. And im with you on BBH. I owned one for a couple years, great fun pin - but dam that left outlane!

#18 4 years ago

Both outlanes drain like crazy on mine, left AND right. I've also installed a WMS post on the top of both lanes + larger rubbers at the top of the inlane plastics. No way, still drains way too much, and since it sends a LOT of STDM's too, the pin is too irritating like that. I'm afraid I'll put 2 miniposts there.. like all the other Sterns already have, so this is not an issue.

2 weeks later
#19 4 years ago

New & improved mod/fix. Built like a brick $h!t house!! Easy to open or close the gap as desired. No holes drilled.

20150117_111640.jpg 20150117_113124.jpg 20150117_113226.jpg 20150117_113033.jpg
#20 4 years ago

i dont have a TWD home, and than not usual with the gameplay, but if you guys are still going that way, soon you'll better close the 2 outlanes completly !?

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

BBH
IM
TRON
XMEN
MET
TWD

Sorry have to disagree met and Tron are perfectly fine. This TWD however, just no need for such an unforgiving design. I thought they may have learned from IM which they did. Now the have reverted back to these ridiculous outlanes sizes.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Sorry have to disagree met and Tron are perfectly fine. This TWD however, just no need for such an unforgiving design. I thought they may have learned from IM which they did. Now the have reverted back to these ridiculous outlanes sizes.

But IM is perfect with the hard layout. It's a different kind of game.

#23 4 years ago

If you're that afraid of getting bit, maybe you should mount a row of spikes across the left outlane.

#24 4 years ago

Installed the proper post for the walking dead. ..the game definitely plays a lot better20150118_094905-981.jpg20150118_094849-878.jpg20150118_094814-653.jpg

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

i dont have a TWD home, and than not usual with the gameplay, but if you guys are still going that way, soon you'll better close the 2 outlanes completly !?

All the other Stern games have the mini-post installed from factory above the top of the inlane guide....

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from itshowtime:

Installed the proper post for the Walking Dead. ..the game definitely plays a lot better

20150118_094905-981.jpg 151 KB

20150118_094849-878.jpg 127 KB

20150118_094814-653.jpg 157 KB

Thats exactly what I did,but didn't drill a hole in the PF. Mine just bolts to the top of the rail that's already there. I would have made you a set if I knew you were actually going to drill!?!

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Thats exactly what I did,but didn't drill a hole in the PF. Mine just bolts to the top of the rail that's already there. I would have made you a set if I knew you were actually going to drill!?!

If i was going to go with a "fix" Breadfan has the winner.

#28 4 years ago

Wow that's a legit mod there, nice work.

Make me one for the left lane of TSPP sir

#29 4 years ago

like crrispy said most of the stern games come with a mini post already on them..just wanted to make it look like my star trek pro..don't see a problem drilling a hole in a playfield for posts that should have been installed from stern

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from itshowtime:

like crrispy said most of the stern games come with a mini post already on them..just wanted to make it look like my Star Trek pro..don't see a problem drilling a hole in a playfield for posts that should have been installed from stern

If they should have been installed, they would have been installed.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Is the left drain that brutal on TWD?

I don't think it is.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from jonninemonic:

It is.
When the ball is going for the right outlane you can get physical and save it from draining, but on the left side there's like zero chance to save it. I've managed to save it once in about 100 games and I have a very physical playstyle.
It's a shame really that they didn't put a post or something there that would have made the game more forgiving. There's pretty much no skill known to man on how to save a ball from draining on a TWD when the ball has decided to go for the left outlane. I guess we simply have to live with it, but it has taken some time to accept it. Unless you want to get medieval on the playfield (like drilling), but in my opinion that is taking things to far. The game is still very playable - and addictive.

I don't have trouble saving left outlane shots and I don't play that physical. Sometimes more physical is worse.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from itshowtime:

Like Crrispy said, most of the Stern games come with a mini post already on them. Just wanted to make it look like my Star Trek pro. Don't see a problem drilling a hole in a playfield for posts that should have been installed from Stern ...

Quoted from FrederikFrost:

If they should have been installed, they would have been installed.

I tend to agree with this, but if this drains bother someone to the point that they aren't enjoying the game, I can completely understand wanting to make some tweaks. I still don't think I could bring my self to drill into a brand new playfield, though. Fortunately, I don't have a problem with the side drains on TWD. Some of my games such as Pinbot and Tommy are much more brutal in this regard.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I tend to agree with this, but if this drains bother someone to the point that they aren't enjoying the game, I can completely understand wanting to make some tweaks. I still don't think I could bring my self to drill into a brand new playfield, though. Fortunately, I don't have a problem with the side drains on TWD. Some of my games such as Pinbot and Tommy are much more brutal in this regard.

And I agree with this.
I don't think they intended for the post to be there - It'd be an easily spotted mistake.

But what I do think is that doing whatever it takes to enjoy your 5k toy is ok no matter what. I wouldn't go as far as drilling into the playfield, possibly taking a hit regarding the value of the pin. I'm all in for mods, but I'd always go for anything that can be undone as a first solution.

Luckily it seems to be installed quite nicely.

#35 4 years ago

<Tioc kquote cite="#2185457">I don't think it is.

No its not,I just like wasting my time making crap instead of playing the damn game?!?!!?

#36 4 years ago

Before anyone does any changes around the outlanes, I would suggest they check the feature audits to see if they really are having a problem. Don't own one, but I've played one on location enough to not notice one outlane being worse than the other.

Feature audits will tell you exactly how many balls have gone down each outlane. Those that have already made changes might want to write down the audits for each outlane now, then check them later to see how the changes have done. Feature audits can be very surprising. Don't be surprised if the right outlane gets more drains than the left outlane. Most players are right handed, so the right side is more important. Check your audits before you break out the drill. When it comes to feature audits, perception is often very different than reality.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Before anyone does any changes around the outlanes, I would suggest they check the feature audits to see if they really are having a problem. Don't own one, but I've played one on location enough to not notice one outlane being worse than the other.
Feature audits will tell you exactly how many balls have gone down each outlane.

Indeed. My Starship Troopers was really making me angry with outlane drains. Turns out that that 33% of all balls end with an outlane drain. Since then, I've stopped complaining about it because it was all in my head.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Just checked the audits on my game ...

Left Drains - 125 (32%)
Center Drains - 215 (56%)
Right Drains - 46 (12%)

It goes down the left outlane nearly three times as often as the right outlane.

#39 4 years ago

Does audits track lost balls during multiballs? I'd wager that balls gets lost through the outlanes more easily since they push eaach other creating more side-to-side movement, thus inflating the outlane audits.

#40 4 years ago

I just put white rubber on the outline associated posts, more bouncy and seems a little more forgiving and does not change design. Works for me

#41 4 years ago

I dont have a TWD, but for comparison, my IM game has 1100 balls lost through out lanes (500 left, 600 right) and 600 lost through the center.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

Does audits track lost balls during multiballs? I'd wager that balls gets lost through the outlanes more easily since they push eaach other creating more side-to-side movement, thus inflating the outlane audits.

It's the Multi balls where you get destroyed on the out lanes, doesn't really bother me that much, however, this is where keeping a ball up in those pops during MB sure helps staying alive!

#43 4 years ago

Quite a few of you are talking about (not) drilling the play field and I would normally agree w/ you but not on TWDLE as the BG Ramp has tore up my play field in under a 100 plays! So at least drilling is a choice, whereas the two slices I have were not. BTW pic below is w/ mylar removed when I did the Stern BG Ramp fix.

20150105_164058.jpg
#44 4 years ago

Here's my playboy pin made it more fun adding the mini post to it20150118_161150.jpg20150118_161130.jpg

#45 4 years ago

in fact, better to rename this topic : "how to become a pinball wizard (easy drill trick inside)"

#46 4 years ago

Some schmoe installed posts like that in the Mystic I bought. I removed them and can still roll the game.

Training wheels, that's what these posts are... training wheels

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Some schmoe installed posts like that in the Mystic I bought. I removed them and can still roll the game.
Training wheels, that's what these posts are... training wheels

Mystic? Really? you should come play my TWD without the posts. your mystic will feel like a kiddy toy!

#48 4 years ago

I guess I should take these training wheels off my star trek that came from the factory already installed on it ...I don't get what the problem is ...if it makes the game more enjoyable to play for my family and I. .that's all that matters20150119_175653.jpg20150119_175631.jpg

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from itshowtime:

I guess I should take these training wheels off my Star Trek that came from the factory already installed on it ...I don't get what the problem is ...if it makes the game more enjoyable to play for my family and I. .that's all that matters

By all means, do what you want to your game, but you're not playing it as the designer intended. You are making it easier than it should be, hence the training wheel comment.

ST has posts because it is designed as a longer playing game. 18 missions. 3 wizard modes. Long ball times needed. Steve knew that so he put the posts there, even on the kickback lane. Borg wanted TWD to be a quicker game like IM, so more brutal outlanes.

Learning to shoot and nudge to keep the ball away from the left outlane area is more satisfying for most people than designing add-on posts, but whatever floats your boat...

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

By all means, do what you want to your game, but you're not playing it as the designer intended. You are making it easier than it should be, hence the training wheel comment.
ST has posts because it is designed as a longer playing game. 18 missions. 3 wizard modes. Long ball times needed. Steve knew that so he put the posts there, even on the kickback lane. Borg wanted TWD to be a quicker game like IM, so more brutal outlanes.
Learning to shoot and nudge to keep the ball away from the left outlane area is more satisfying for most people than designing add-on posts, but whatever floats your boat...

Hmm. I talked to Steve Ritchie about me adding star posts to my AC/DC BIB & he said "I don't blame ya"so what's that say about how the designer intended?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.95
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 16.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lakeville, MN
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside