New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 109440)

Poll: TWD LE ... Can you make the left ramp from the crossbow?

By gweempose

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Gnassel
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Can you successfully make the left ramp from the crossbow?”

• YES - A properly aimed shot will make it up the ramp. 40 votes
    58%
  • NO - Even a perfect shot will not make it up the ramp. 29 votes
    42%

(69 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

woodburysticker - cutout.jpg
woodburysticker.jpg
image-144.jpg
image-345.jpg
image-452.jpg
image-113.jpg
Crossbow Assembly.jpg
Crossbow #6.JPG
Crossbow #5.JPG
Crossbow #4.JPG
Crossbow #3.JPG
Crossbow #2.JPG
Crossbow #1.JPG

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

It seems like a bunch of people are having trouble making the left ramp from the crossbow. On my game, even a perfect shot will only make it part way up the ramp. I can, however, make it up the right ramp with consistency. I started this thread to find out how widespread this problem is, and to see if we can figure out how to fix the problem.

The only thing I can think of that might be causing weak shots on my game is the way in which the ball lays against the plunger. The plunger is making contact with the ball well above center (see photos). This may be inhibiting the full transfer of power. If this is indeed the cause of the problem, I'm not sure the best way to go about fixing it. Perhaps there is some way to raise the height of the ball without adversely affecting anything else.

Crossbow #1.JPG
Crossbow #2.JPG

#2 5 years ago

For reference, here are some more photos of my crossbow from different angles ...

Crossbow #3.JPG Crossbow #4.JPG Crossbow #5.JPG Crossbow #6.JPG
#3 5 years ago

I only fire the bow on its return trip and I can make the left ramp if it is a clean well placed shot

#4 5 years ago

Not a huge response yet, but 50% of the people who have voted so far appear to be having this problem. The question is, what's the difference between the good crossbows and the bad crossbows?

#5 5 years ago

Hit it 4 times today. Every time it was when it was returning to the left.

#6 5 years ago

At least on my machine the left ramp seems to be an issue. I do not believe it has much to do with the crossbow. Rather, it is the way the ramp was design. The ball hits the bottom on the ramp and the ramp and ball both pop up. Stern must have known about this issue due to the fact that there is a plastic cover above the ramp. I also think owners will eventually get excessive wear on the playfield wear the bottom of the ramp and playfield meet.

#7 5 years ago

You have found the issue. No way is all the energy being transferred to the ball.

The only question now is how to fix it.

#8 5 years ago

I would suggest trying to shim the ball up higher in the x bow. Ideally you would want the shooter tip to hit the ball on the equator. Should be easy to stick a peice of sticky backed felt, or something like that under where the ball sits, and see if it helps at all.

Just my 2 cents.....

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Pincrawler:

I would suggest trying to shim the ball up higher in the x bow. Ideally you would want the shooter tip to hit the ball on the equator. Should be easy to stick a peice of sticky backed felt, or something like that under where the ball sits, and see if it helps at all.
Just my 2 cents.....

I believe the mechanism is designed like this to impart some topspin on the ball. The topspin will help prevent airballs and also probably aids in a slightly more accurate shot.

I did hear from a friend that the left ramp shot is very difficult to make from the canon though.

What kind of coil is in the canon? Could you swap it with a more powerful one?

#10 5 years ago

I would agree about the top spin effect to some effect. There would be very little real top spin being transferred to the ball by that plastic. It's not like that's a pool cue applying some real "English" to the ball.

Just thought it would be an easy thing to try and easy to undo if it doesn't help.

#11 5 years ago

I did some experimenting, and it does not appear that increasing the height of the ball is the solution. I shimmed it up so the plunger was more even with the center of the ball. I then aimed the crossbow squarely at the ramp and fired the coil. Same result as before. Even if this was the solution, there is no easy way to replicate this during gameplay. The ball does not have enough speed to make it up on to the shims by itself.

So now it's back to the drawing board. Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas. I simply don't understand why the shot works on some games and not others. Is it possible that some crossbows got different coils? According to the pole, the left ramp is unmakeable on about half the LEs out there. That seems kind of ridiculous. I think I'm going to have to call Stern tomorrow to see how they want to handle this. Since so many people are experiencing this same problem, perhaps they will send someone out to my house to check the game out in person.

#12 5 years ago

Weird.

#13 5 years ago

What about setting coil pulse to hard? It sure made my kickback weak on ST by setting it to soft, but it makes my Warp ramp more manageable.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

What about setting coil pulse to hard?

Just tried. No dice.

#15 5 years ago

I tried that shot tonight. Waited for the cannon to come back to left and shot it

My aim was bang on but the ball wasn't even close to making it

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

I tried that shot tonight. Waited for the cannon to come back to left and shot it. My aim was bang on, but the ball wasn't even close to making it.

Did you vote "No" in the poll? It's important to let Stern know how widespread this problem is.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Just tried. No dice.

Dang, it was worth a shot. On the plus side, I tried it on ST and the game now plays wicked fast and the ramps are easier. Super fun.

#18 5 years ago

More votes are in, and we are still at 50% who voted "No". Has anyone been able to come up with a theory as to what the problem might be? I forgot to mention before that my playfield is at a 7% incline. I can't imagine a few percent difference would matter, but the more information we have, the better.

#19 5 years ago

Where is the ball landing first, on the ramp or on the playfield? If it hits the ramp, does the b-girl flap flex and rob speed? Is the transition from the flap to the actual ramp even/smooth with no bumps?

#20 5 years ago

gweempose

How makable is your left ramp using the flippers?

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Where is the ball landing first, on the ramp or on the playfield?

On my game, the ball lands before the ramp, bounces off the playfield, goes partially up the ramp, and then comes right back down.

Quoted from metallik:

Is the transition from the flap to the actual ramp even/smooth with no bumps?

The transition is not smooth. There is a small bump on the right side where the lift ramp meets the actual ramp. This is what is causing airballs on a lot of people's games, but I don't believe it has any affect on the crossbow shot. I'm pretty sure the ball doesn't even make it that far up the ramp from my crossbow.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Pincrawler:

gweempose

How makable is your left ramp using the flippers?

I have no problem whatsoever making that shot from the flipper. In fact, my game never suffered from the crazy airball problem that affects a lot of games right out of the box. The ball will occasionally get some slight air which slows it down coming around the turn at the back, but the shot is repeatable over and over again.

#23 5 years ago

How far from the bottom of the ramp would you say it lands? Maybe it needs to touchdown on the playfield sooner so it doesn't bounce up the ramp and scrub speed.

#24 5 years ago

A lot more are shipping now so you should get some more votes and thoughts on it next week. My game is due here Tuesday.

#25 5 years ago

Looks like the bracket that holds the coil sleeve in place is missing. That is why there are two screw holes. Take a look at the first or second blue page in your manual.

#26 5 years ago

Way to go exflexer.

That is incredibly observant noting that the coil bracket is missing just looking at a few pictures. It continues to amaze me how quickly people figure stuff out. I would bet anything that is why the ball won't go up the ramp. Is the coil loose?

A tip of the hat to you, exflexer.

#27 5 years ago

I was going to say Lyman will just fix it in the code. Left ramp will not be a target worth shooting.

Bad humor. I hope what exflexer pointed out works.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

Looks like the bracket that holds the coil sleeve in place is missing. That is why there are two screw holes. Take a look at the first or second blue page in your manual.

Good eye, exflexer. It looks like I am indeed missing part #32 (see below). I would encourage everyone to check their games and see if this part is installed. Perhaps the solution will be as simple as everyone who can make the shot has the part, an everyone who can't make the shot doesn't.

Crossbow Assembly.jpg
#29 5 years ago

Does anyone have a shot of a crossbow with the part installed? Those screw holes are empty on mine, but I've made the shot, but have had other crossbow issues.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Does anyone have a shot of a crossbow with the part installed? Those screw holes are empty on mine, but I've made the shot ...

This is exactly the information we need. Can anyone else confirm that they do not have part #32 installed, but they are able to make the shot? It's possible that nobody has this part installed. Looking at the assembly, I'm not even sure why it's needed.

#31 5 years ago

Hard to tell precisely, but it looks like the small bracket may have been 'replaced' by folding the metal of the housing over to provide that support. Need another pic looking into the bracket from the playfield end.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Hard to tell precisely, but it looks like the small bracket may have been 'replaced' by folding the metal of the housing over to provide that support.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. It looks like there is already a metal stop built in to the housing itself that would serve this purpose.

#33 5 years ago

I have made the left ramp shot from the crossbow once and missed twice.

#34 5 years ago

The folding of the metal does indeed seem to secure the coil itself, however the nomenclature lists the missing bracket as "Directional Kicker Coil Sleeve Holder". I checked my machine and the bracket is not there. So the coil core has the potential to move. As it is now the coil can move back and forth a bit. I did call Stern and requested the bracket and 2 mounting screws. The engineer stated he would check with Borg and if it is supposed to be there he will send me the parts.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from tonylo909:

The folding of the metal does indeed seem to secure the coil itself, however the nomenclature lists the missing bracket as "Directional Kicker Coil Sleeve Holder". I checked my machine and the bracket is not there. So the coil core has the potential to move. As it is now the coil can move back and forth a bit. I did call Stern and requested the bracket and 2 mounting screws. The engineer stated he would check with Borg and if it is supposed to be there he will send me the parts.

So far, we haven't had a single confirmation of someone whose machine actually has the bracket. It's possible that they purposely omitted the bracket from the final design. Even without the bracket, my coil sleeve doesn't seem like it will move. At this point, I'm fairly confident that the bracket doesn't have anything to do with the left ramp problem, but I could be wrong. I'm going to call Stern now.

#36 5 years ago

I got a call back from Stern. The bracket was intentionally left out. According to them the manual is in error.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from tonylo909:

I got a call back from Stern. The bracket was intentionally left out. According to them the manual is in error.

That's what I figured. I just got off the phone with Chas. He was going to check with Borg and then get back to me.

#38 5 years ago

No issues here hitting the left ramp with the crossbow. I do tend to fire the shot when its coming back right to left.

#39 5 years ago

Something is definitely up with my crossbow. When it tries to go across the playfield it gets about 1/4 across, stops for a second then makes its way back keeping the ball trapped and the game then looks for it. It's brutal. Any ideas?

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from yanek2rank:

Something is definitely up with my crossbow. When it tries to go across the playfield it gets about 1/4 across, stops for a second then makes its way back keeping the ball trapped and the game then looks for it. It's brutal. Any ideas?

Mine did similar strange things at first, which (knock on wood) seem to rarely occur now. Try pulling the lock bar and adjusting the leaf spring in there, mine was way too close together, so it was essentially always touching even before you pressed it.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Mine did similar strange things at first, which (knock on wood) seem to rarely occur now. Try pulling the lock bar and adjusting the leaf spring in there, mine was way too close together, so it was essentially always touching even before you pressed it.

Right on, thanks! I'll try that as soon as I get home

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

That is what is wrong,I had the same trouble

#43 5 years ago

So far we have 18 who voted "YES" and 15 who voted "NO". I think a bunch more people are getting their LE's this week, so it will be interesting to see if the percentage of people affected by this problem remains around 45%. I'm also hoping to hear back from Chas at Stern tomorrow to see if he or Borg have any ideas about what might be going on.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I did some experimenting, and it does not appear that increasing the height of the ball is the solution. I shimmed it up so the plunger was more even with the center of the ball. I then aimed the crossbow squarely at the ramp and fired the coil. Same result as before. Even if this was the solution, there is no easy way to replicate this during gameplay. The ball does not have enough speed to make it up on to the shims by itself.
So now it's back to the drawing board. Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas. I simply don't understand why the shot works on some games and not others. Is it possible that some crossbows got different coils? According to the pole, the left ramp is unmakeable on about half the LEs out there. That seems kind of ridiculous. I think I'm going to have to call Stern tomorrow to see how they want to handle this. Since so many people are experiencing this same problem, perhaps they will send someone out to my house to check the game out in person.

remove the washer and replace with a slug you drilled with a hole at ball center. worth a try looks simple enough.

#46 5 years ago

I played several games and was able to hit the ramp several times. Due to my horrible aim, I took the glass off to repeatedly activate the crossbow. Out of twenty shoots, half never hit the ramp squarely so I didn't count them. Out of ten ten "good" shoots, 7/10 made it clearly up the ramp. But noticed it had to be right up the middle for it to make it. If it bounced of the sides, it would lose its momentum and not continue up the ramp.

#47 5 years ago

Just played it again and I was 0/2. I'll be happy if they just change the code to hit the bash toy instead of going up the ramp.

#48 5 years ago

tele-tubies dont do ramps!

#49 5 years ago

I still can't make it up the BG ramp. Someone find a solution please.

#50 5 years ago

I was so busy today that I never had a chance to call over to Stern and follow up. I'll definitely make sure to do so tomorrow.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside