Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
image.jpg
image-277.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Sorry if I missed this somewhere. I get at least a few airballs each game. Anyone else seeing this?

#2 4 years ago

Had my pro for a month now, never have had an airball off the left ramp. Maybe something to do with the LE having a lifting ramp?

#3 4 years ago

Yes happens a lot. Looks like stern tried to fix it with the clear plastic above the beginning of the ramp.

#4 4 years ago

Yep le only,I am not sure what can be done about it

#5 4 years ago

What is your playfield level? I have my back legs almost all the way up and the front levelers all the way down.
I don't have air balls from the left ramp but occasional air balls from the right ramp as it exits the 'rollercoaster' on the left hand side.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walking-dead-right-ramp-flying-balls#post-2015130

#6 4 years ago

I have the LE. Many left ramp air balls.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

What is your playfield level? I have my back legs almost all the way up and the front levelers all the way down.
I don't have air balls from the left ramp but occasional air balls from the right ramp as it exits the 'rollercoaster' on the left hand side.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walking-dead-right-ramp-flying-balls#post-2015130

Sorry I have the pro.

I would check and make sure a screw head isn't exposed. Perhaps the lip of the lift ramp is exposed causing the ball to change direction.

#8 4 years ago

Not something I'm seeing, can't even remember them happening at all, so definitely not many times per game. Mine is leveled by bubble only.

#9 4 years ago

The first part of the left ramp on the LE raises up to expose bicycle girl. The ramp "flap" on mine is very close to the rt post and fairly far from the left post. I think the ball can hit a bit of the flap before hitting the outside of the rt post thus causing air balls. I was looking at it to see if I could move the flap closer to the middle of the posts. But I don't think so.

#10 4 years ago

This is what mine looks like. image-277.jpg

#11 4 years ago

Hmmm my ramp is touching the rt post.

#12 4 years ago

I'm getting airballs too.

#13 4 years ago

I get many air balls as well when I play on the left ramp.
I even sometimes hit the right ramp too hard and the ball just flys off the track!

#14 4 years ago

It is pretty bad and a bad design or horrible QC during testing. It looks like the ramp will wear through the Mylar pretty quick and start some pf wear there too - already scratch wear on factory Mylar before I played one game. The ramp flap when down looks like it is at too steep of an angle with a slight lip causing the air balls. I have balls constantly getting stuck in the back of the ramps behind the back box where I have to give the machine a decent shake to free. This usually happens on left ramp shots.

Will have to look closer tomorrow to check pitch, but pretty sure machine is between 6.5-7.0. Game does not feel off on left/right, but going to check again.

#15 4 years ago

Yup, figured it out right away.

The plastic ramp is just a smudge higher than the left ramp up/down flat plastic giving it a hop/jump effect when the ball hits it right at the spot where the 2 meet each other..

The metal standoff is too tall on the right side. Only thing I see working is removing that long metal standoff and grinding it down to make the edge level with the flat up/down ramp.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

The plastic ramp is just a smudge higher than the left ramp up/down flat plastic giving it a hop/jump effect when the ball hits it right at the spot where the 2 meet each other..

The metal standoff is too tall on the right side. Only thing I see working is removing that long metal standoff and grinding it down to make the edge level with the flat up/down ramp.

Not OK!!!

#17 4 years ago

I fixed this on my game by taking out both hex spacers on either side of the ramp and then putting them back in / screwing them down in a way that minimizes the gap between the lifting ramp and solid ramp.

Here's a before picture. After I remounted everything it sat a lot more flush and the game plays much smoother.

image.jpg

#18 4 years ago

Will Stern ever Learn? This is another bummer QC issue that should have been caught at the factory.

#19 4 years ago

zucot is correct on the fix. Mine came with no screw in the right post but looks exactly like the picture.

Check your crossbows too. Mine was missing the bracket that keep the coil sleeve in place.

#20 4 years ago

I've only had one airball so far that actually flew off the ramp, but I have noticed that the ball sometimes slows down behind the playfield. It even got stuck behind there once. I was thinking that it may have gotten some air and then decelerated because of it.

#21 4 years ago

Yeah good to see the ww testing was done properly......

#22 4 years ago

Zucot, do you have an after picture as well? I'd like to see how yours is sitting so that I align mine correctly. Thanks.

#23 4 years ago

People rave about how many pins Stern can crank out daily. This is the result when output matters and QC takes a back seat.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I fixed this on my game by taking out both hex spacers on either side of the ramp and then putting them back in / screwing them down in a way that minimizes the gap between the lifting ramp and solid ramp.
Here's a before picture. After I remounted everything it sat a lot more flush and the game plays much smoother.

Thanks for the info. Can you show an after pic? Hoping i can figure out how to fix this when #322 shows up on Friday...

#25 4 years ago

mine will launch and hit the glass, hit the sign above the ramp, slam into the side of the cabinet and one flew across the playfield and rolled down the ramp return.
It launches of my flap like it's too steep. Mine feels pretty smooth from the flap to the ramp - not anywhere close to like the photo above.

Hope stern comes up with something or will give me new ramps and plastic set if it breaks something.

#26 4 years ago

Has anyone put anything down under the ramp flap to protect the playfield? It seems like there is some mylar already there from the factory, but I'm thinking that another layer of something might be needed.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Has anyone put anything down under the ramp flap to protect the playfield? It seems like there is some mylar already there from the factory, but I'm thinking that another layer of something might be needed.

I'm going to put down the "cling vinyl" clear sheet. Use that on all my pins, works great.

#28 4 years ago

I'll take an after pic when I can get back to my game room.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

mine will launch and hit the glass, hit the sign above the ramp, slam into the side of the cabinet and one flew across the playfield and rolled down the ramp return.
It launches of my flap like it's too steep. Mine feels pretty smooth from the flap to the ramp - not anywhere close to like the photo above.
Hope stern comes up with something or will give me new ramps and plastic set if it breaks something.

Is your game missing the clear plastic that covers the left half of the beginning of the non-lifting part of the ramp? It kinda sounds like it.

On my game the ball definitely hits that clear plastic before it settles down and continues through the rest of the ramp...

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

People rave about how many pins Stern can crank out daily. This is the result when output matters and QC takes a back seat.

Tell me about it, check out my problems

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-twd-le-first-ball-stuck-in-shooter-lane

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm going to put down the "cling vinyl" clear sheet. Use that on all my pins, works great.

Good idea, I bought some several months ago but have never used it

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Is your game missing the clear plastic that covers the left half of the beginning of the non-lifting part of the ramp? It kinda sounds like it.
On my game the ball definitely hits that clear plastic before it settles down and continues through the rest of the ramp...

I have the clear plastic that covers the left half and I'm still getting airballs on a regular basis.

#33 4 years ago

No air balls at all. None.

#34 4 years ago

Me too, I haven't had one yet. Sometimes after a fast shot up the right ramp it might bounce out of the rollercoaster style bumps but in 50 games that's only happened a few times so not a big deal. Interesting.

#35 4 years ago

What I noticed, was that if I hit the left side of the ramp, it would pass no problem. However, a shot right up the middle or on the right edge of the ramp would airball or come back down the ramp. My machine looks similar to zucot's picture. Time to adjust the hex posts, or make modifications to them.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

No air balls at all. None.

That's because the rusty balls you're using have a high drag coefficient. Shine up yer balls man, and watch them fly!

#37 4 years ago

Thanks again to Stern's dilligent Quality Control Department(AKA, their customer base) for sorting all these issues out.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Tell me more about this "cling vinyl" ... Inquiring minds would like to know.

Marcus

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Me too. Where can I buy it, and does it remove easily without damaging the playfield?

#40 4 years ago

Here is the stuff I bought at Amazon, Grafix Cling Vinyl

amazon.com link »

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Marcus

See Ramjet link, I've been using this stuff everywhere on my pins for over a year and its great!

Cut a piece to the size you want and lay it down, clings to the play field, shooter lane, in lane, wherever you want, works great!

Perfect for that ramp area.

Lay it down, pick it up, ZERO damage to play field or anywhere else. Just protection.

#42 4 years ago

Is that cling vinyl similar to the clear screen they put on ipad screens

#43 4 years ago

Yep same stuff, I can send you a piece if you like. If that doesn't hold over time (I just put mine on), you can always use another piece of mylar over the existing mylar. I have that too if you want.
PM if interested.

#44 4 years ago

Here's my after pic. I have had one airball in 10 games. Used to get airballs every ball.

image.jpg

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Here's my after pic. I have had one airball in 10 games.

That's about how mine looks from the factory.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Modesto, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton , FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
6,000 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Winchester, VA
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 19.95
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Meridian Charter Township, MI
$ 19.95
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside