New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 111588)

TWD LE Adjustments and Mods

By T7

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 277 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by steigerpijp
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 97 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen_shot_2015-11-03_at_12.24.14.png
image.jpg
20150406_161500.jpg
20150319_081913.jpg
20150319_082135.jpg
20150319_081943.jpg
20150319_082042.jpg
20150319_082221.jpg
20150321_123223.jpg
Candy.jpg
LESpendFV.jpg
LESpend.jpg
image-566.jpg
image.jpg
20150222_194705.jpg
image.jpg

There are 277 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 5 years ago

I wanted to start this thread to collect all adjustments / fixes and mods for TWD LE in one place. My favorite adjustment is making the left ramp super smooth Please try to keep this thread on track with useful info for tweaking the game.

Here is the adjustment list...

- SDTM from Pop Bumpers - swap post sleeve rubber with a thicker one - left post on right ramp

- SDTM from prison - adjust game level .2 degrees to left or right

- Protect rails powder coating - add weather stripping to bottom of lockdown bar, rails position

- Left Ramp skips - back section of ramp needs to be lower
---- swap ramp support with slightly shorter one (from Stern tech support?)
---- insert spacer on right metal side to push down back ramp section

- Left Ramp flap digging into playfield - add protection to bottom of left ramp
---- possibly file down underside of rivets
---- mylar or felt with adhesive over rivets on bottom of ramp

- Make Left Ramp super smooth (default is not smooth because lifting part of ramp is "sloppy")
---- add weather stripping into triangle "groove" on bottom of ramp between flap and plastic
---- NOTE: trim the weather strip so it won't lift the front of the ramp
---- This makes the lifting ramp "grip" the playfield and removes rattling when the ball hits it

- Bicycle Girl lighting - add a light or buy a mod

- Top Pop Bumper not firing sometimes
---- Stern added a screw in the playfield just above the wire guide
---- - (probably to stop the ball from getting stuck)
---- Remove the screw (it's possible the ball may get stuck from time to time)
---- Or replace it with a smaller head screw - the one Stern used is bigger than necessary

- Crossbow firing is weak - adjust prongs so ball is centered on firing plunger

- Launch ball gate sticks open - and ball returns to shooter lane from pops
---- the gate will get wedged on top of the left screw (which fastens the gate)
---- Add a washer under the screw -> this lifts the screw so the gate won't wedge on top of it

- Bicycle Girls / Prison Walker / Well Walker not registering all hits
---- lift the playfield and use a switch adjuster to make a very small gap for the iffy switch

- Woodbury Drop Target doesn't go down all the way
---- the sticker on the target catches on the mechanism to auto-drop the target
---- remove the sticker from the drop target, or use a very thin sticker, or cut it out (see post below)

- Mod to enable clean loop when hitting left loop shot (Barn)
---- the ball hits the edge of the bottom pop bumper
---- add "something" (felt, velcro) to metal guide to bump out the ball to miss the Pop Bumper

#2 5 years ago

Reserved 1

#3 5 years ago

- Reserved 2 -

#4 5 years ago
#5 5 years ago

I just took a close look at the area beneath my left ramp flap for the first time. It has indeed wore right through the mylar, and possibly even damaged the playfield. I've barely put any plays on my game. Only 89 balls played since the new code update. I'm afraid to even play it now until I address the problem. It seems like a major design flaw to me. The flap should probably be longer, and the ramp shorter.

#6 5 years ago

The left ramp digging into the playfield does suck. The sticky back felt sheets from Hobby Lobby work very well - I will keep checking my game to see if prevents any damage, and post back after a while.

#7 5 years ago

In addition to some of the above, I added a piece of plastic side of sticky back velcro to the orbit guide that guides the ball into the pops area from a left orbit shot. This was enough to make the ball miss the right most pop on orbit shots letting it flow back to the flippers. It's not perfect as it nicks the left pop on the way out but it always comes out of the pops immediately without triggering pop sequences and ands on one of the flippers.

#8 5 years ago

Woodbury drop target won't go down all the way and sticks partially up...
Copied from another thread to include here:

Quoted from Yipykya:

jetspeedb said:The only issue I have is woodbury drop target. If a ball makes contact it drops just fine. It also goes up. If the machine tries to lower the drop without contact it stops half way. It really doesnt look like its caught up on anything so Im not sure whats up.

QuarterGrabber said:It does it to me too. I thought it was the decal I put on the drop but now I think it might be a code issue?

jetspeedb said:Something is ticking. I can hear it but cant figure out wts is causing it yet.

This happened to me when I put a sticker from the goody bag on the woodbury drop target. I shined a light down the front of the drop while it was up and ticking and discovered a metal arm resting against the drop connected to (I'm going to say a coil?) a coil underneath the PF. I took the sticker off and problem solved. So I did a cut out on my sticker and no issues since. I cut out the middle of the sticker where it is black. After the sticker is applied you can't see the cut out since the drop target matches. This is what I cut out:

woodburysticker - cutout.jpg

woodburysticker.jpg

My top edges are a little ratty because I took it off a few times during the initial trouble shooting phase. I cut off the bottom straight across to shorten it because it doesn't show when the drop is up and I couldn't reach the bottom to apply pressure when sticking it on with out further disassembly. With the bottom cut short I still had the problem described in the quotes above and then the solution dawned on me to nibble out the square box. Hope this can help others!

#9 5 years ago

I didn't know that sticker even existed.

#10 5 years ago

Anyone have a pic handy of the screw added in the playfield just above the wire guide

( Edit Just seen it now, never noticed before )

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I didn't know that sticker even existed.

It is located on the back side of the Barn Spinner on the left. There are all kinds of spares in the sacred goody bag that came with your machine.

#12 5 years ago

Love this thread...great idea!

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I just took a close look at the area beneath my left ramp flap for the first time. It has indeed wore right through the mylar, and possibly even damaged the playfield. I've barely put any plays on my game. Only 89 balls played since the new code update. I'm afraid to even play it now until I address the problem. It seems like a major design flaw to me. The flap should probably be longer, and the ramp shorter.

Is this just a problem on the LE? Is the ramp positioned differently? That sounds like a problem that needs to be fixed as soon as possible. I don't want to cut up my playfield. I don't know what would hold up.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Is this just a problem on the LE?

Yes, because the pro doesn't have the lift ramp. It's stationary. This is a tough situation to address, because anything you do to prevent the wear will most likely raise the ramp entrance slightly, messing with an already precarious shot.

#15 5 years ago

I have put down of the clear "Cling Vinyl" adhesive, non sticky. I use this on all my pins.

Shooter lanes, in lane drops, high wear areas (like fish in RS).

Works like a charm

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I have put down of the clear "Cling Vinyl" adhesive, non sticky. I use this on all my pins.

Is that working under the left ramp?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Shooter lanes, in lane drops, high wear areas (like fish in RS).
Works like a charm

Where do you get that from, never heard of it or seen in on a pin? Thanks Ice

#18 5 years ago

http://www.joann.com/cling-vinyl-9inx12in-sheets/8258790.html?mkwid=kLRkodle%7Cdc&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+Scrapbooking&CS_003=10131488&CS_010=%5BProductId%5D&gclid=CjwKEAiAzIWkBRDO5LDEn8G1nAUSJADnHq_5mtpbu2fwKM9TCg9F_eJtDPMsVF3zySZYEOhElaOLChoCVHDw_wcB

I love this stuff and it works great, and unlike the "self adhesive laminating strips" (essentially mylar), it will come right up if you pull it up to replace with zero residue.

Clings right to the play field and shooter lanes.

#19 5 years ago

Thank you very much.

#20 5 years ago

Added red led flipper buttons today, was hoping more of my mods would have arrived this week but no luck. Did my STLE as well looks good. Waiting for my lights but did one star post going to change them all to red, white rubbers look good on this pin.

DSC01284.JPG
DSC01290.JPG
DSC01292.JPG

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Added red led flipper buttons today, was hoping more of my mods would have arrived this week but no luck. Did my STLE as well looks good. Waiting for my lights but did one star post going to change them all to red, white rubbers look good on this pin.

Make sure to do a small area first and stand back to take a look. I saw one with all white rubbers and I thought it took away from the "darkness" of the theme. Nothing is white in the world of TWD.

#22 5 years ago

You could be right, I have so many extras laying around figured I would give it a try, Ill post when fully completed. I saw that you can get red ones now Translites are starting to be made.

$_12.jpg
#23 5 years ago
Quoted from T7:

- Left Ramp flap digging into playfield - add protection to bottom of left ramp
---- possibly file down underside of rivets
---- mylar or felt with adhesive over rivets on bottom of ramp

Credit goes to Pinballer22 for demonstrating this first and Mzhulk for his encouragement and direction. I used a dremel with a sanding drum and leveled the bottom edge of the plastic ramp flush with the play field when the ramp is down. I attached stick on felt over the rivets and everything works great now. Ball goes up the ramp smooth every single time.

dremeledramp.jpg

feltramp.jpg

fuzzyramp.jpg

stickerfelt.jpg

In concert with the fix below, my troubles with the left ramp are officially over now:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-le-left-ramp-air-balls-solved-in-1-minute-fix

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

In concert with the fix below, my troubles with the left ramp are officially over now:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-le-left-ramp-air-balls-solved-in-1-minute-fix

Nice pics helping others with where to put the felt - but you forgot about fixing the slop in the left ramp.
Please do the following to make the left ramp even better than where you are at now...

- trim the felt piece to NOT cover the spring steel flap
- add a piece of 3/16" weather stripping (trimmed) on the spring steel flap butted up against the plastic

This is needed to make the lifting ramp flap "grip" the playfield, and results in a much smoother left ramp.

BTW - My original solution for the ramp damaging the playfield was adding the felt, but the left ramp was still not smooth and rattled. Then I added the weather stripping and it made a big difference.

#25 5 years ago

Great thread. Im suprised there seem to be so many things that need adjusting.
I'm going to have to play one that all this was done to.
It may change my opinion on gameplay.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Nice pics helping others with where to put the felt - but you forgot about fixing the slop in the left ramp.
Please do the following to make the left ramp even better than where you are at now...
- trim the felt piece to NOT cover the spring steel flap
- add a piece of 3/16" weather stripping (trimmed) on the spring steel flap butted up against the plastic
This is needed to make the lifting ramp flap "grip" the playfield, and results in a much smoother left ramp.
BTW - My original solution for the ramp damaging the playfield was adding the felt, but the left ramp was still not smooth and rattled. Then I added the weather stripping and it made a big difference.

Yes, I picked up some of that weather stripping and will add it at some point perhaps but right now I don't want to tempt fate, murphy's law and all. It plays really great for me and I couldn't be more pleased with these adjustments.

Anyway, to add one more thing, I had to tighten down the two posts on both sides at the bottom of the left ramp AGAIN. This was the second time I found them loose. They do take a beating. My pin came with no lock washers under the screw heads for these posts. Now that they are tight I definitely see the ball come off them much more sharply when I miss the ramp shot. When they get loose there is a deadening affect on the ball.

#27 5 years ago

I just received my LE and I have a problem with the left ramp not yet mentioned (I think).
If the ball arrives at low speed, it remains blocked in the part of the ramp behind the back panel.
Even a big nudge doesn't solve the problem. The ramp seems normal and I don't understand where exactly the ball is blocked.

Someone has already to deal with this problem ?

#28 5 years ago

I had that same problem but i came loose after a big nudge
I also have a problem with the crossbow plunger,its not getting back in position
After some nudging its slowly "crawls" back

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

I just received my LE and I have a problem with the left ramp not yet mentioned (I think).
If the ball arrives at low speed, it remains blocked in the part of the ramp behind the back panel.
Even a big nudge doesn't solve the problem. The ramp seems normal and I don't understand where exactly the ball is blocked.

I think someone mentioned a wire in the back getting in the way.
Make sure any wires are clear of the ball path for the ramp in the back.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

yep. The white ground wire gets caught up in the ramp depending on how you raise and lower the playfield.

#31 5 years ago

Thank you very much. It explains why I don't see something when I lift the playfield. I will try to find solution.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

Thank you very much. It explains why I don't see something when I lift the playfield. I will try to find solution.

You don't need to try hard. Make sure the white wire in the back right is pulled into the head more and out of the way when you lower the playfield.

#33 5 years ago

Quite a list to 8,5k pinball...

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Nappis:

Anyone dumb enough to pay $8500 for this $7700 shipped machine might not understand how tweaking machines to play better is part of pinball ownership. In any case, cost paid is irrelevant to this thread.

#35 5 years ago

And you are dumb enough to understand that normal price here is 8000€. You think fixing none working ramp is modding/tweaking? It's your business if you want pay full money for half ready game...

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Nappis:

Quoted from Nappis:

And you are dumb enough to understand that normal price here is 8000€. You think fixing none working ramp is modding/tweaking? It's your business if you want pay full money for half ready game...

Do you even own one? If not, your comments seem an awful lot like trolling to me.

#37 5 years ago

Here seems to be every disagree opinion from inside persons being trolling...

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Nappis:

Here seems to be every disagree opinion from inside persons being trolling...

You are trolling here because this is not a thread about complaining that prices are too high. It's about how to better tweak your game. A thread like this existed for Star Trek, avengers, metallica, etc.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Do you even own one? If not, your comments seem an awful lot like trolling to me.

I don't own one yet either, but his concerns are certainly valid. It just seems that the design flaws on TWD seem to be more than the usual tweaking that is expected from a NIB Stern.

#40 5 years ago

In the meantime, problem solved. I pulled up the white cable into the backbox. Thank you Markmon and T7.

#41 5 years ago

Ok, sorry about that. This is very helpfull site. I was only thinking how many problems this twd le have. I'm definitely going to buy twd but so much problems with le is maybe just worth of turning pro. I'm concerned the quality which is turning down and fast. But sorry, wrong thread.

#42 5 years ago

RobT found my words.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I don't own one yet either, but his concerns are certainly valid. It just seems that the design flaws on TWD seem to be more than the usual tweaking that is expected from a NIB Stern.

Not really, I had to make adjustments on all new machines I bought.

AC/DC LE: Ball blocked between the end of the ramp and the cannon when it arrives at low speed.
Metallica LE:Jaw of the snake too high + Detector of the magnet that doesn't work well
X-men LE: Claws of Wolverine that block the ramp, spinning disk that makes a lot of noise, Magnet board that blows

And these are only the ones I remember now.

#44 5 years ago

I think it should be stated that not all games need these fixed. My left ramp is not causing playfield damage and does not cause airballs. It does not need any of these suggestions and is buttery smooth when shot. That doesn't mean that some folks don't need to make some tweaks. It just means that my game worked as designed. All my tweaks were due to what I considered bad design choices not fixes to the game due to quality.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think it should be stated that not all games need these fixed. My left ramp is not causing playfield damage and does not cause airballs. It does not need any of these suggestions and is buttery smooth when shot. That doesn't mean that some folks need to make some tweaks. It just means that my game worked as designed. All my tweaks were due to what I considered bad design choices not fixes to the game due to quality.

Good point. Similar to how not all of them have SDTM drains from the pops to the same degree as the pro that I have played (like the video Brian posted previously of his LE showed, his doesn't seem to have that issue).

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Good point. Similar to how not all of them have SDTM drains from the pops to the same degree as the pro that I have played (like the video Brian posted previously of his LE showed, his doesn't seem to have that issue).

Ya. The pro I had here originally had no SDTM from pops. My LE was among the worst offenders in this.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

All the Pros at expo had the drain problem except the refinery version. I was going to give up on the game because that was so annoying. Then playing the last one it became a new experience.
MY LE is not doing this at all. Still some center ones off the magnet but I have mastered the nudge on that.
The other poster above is right in his comments. No games should have a flap wearing out the playfield and some of the other issues. For me buying an LE at these prices I do expect a little bit of love. Mine arrived with flippers all wonky so dont tell me someone took a few moments to QC and playtest because clearly that was not possible. As an owner its frustrating.

#48 5 years ago

Just got my first mod. Love it.

DSC01295.JPG DSC01299.JPG DSC01300.JPG DSC01301.JPG
#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Just got my first mod. Love it.

That does look good. I just ordered the Stern one, so I hope it looks just as good. Was wanting to see a picture of what the blade looked like in a thread, so thanks for posting Haz!

DSC01299.JPG 228 KB

DSC01295.JPG 177 KB

DSC01300.JPG 222 KB

DSC01301.JPG 289 KB

#50 5 years ago

Mine is not causing damage and the air balls have gotten much better just buy tightening down the long hex on the right of the ramp making that gap/step lower. Seems much better now. I'm still going to it some weather strip under that flap though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.99
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
9,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa , NY
There are 277 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside