IMG_6801.JPG
IMG_6788.JPG
IMG_6798.JPG
image-955.jpg
image-988.jpg
image-946.jpg
image-87.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Used one of the tanks from the season 3 Blu-Ray case to make this mod. Did a resin casting with some green pigment for the water look. Lit it up with a comet led strip. Was installed using a couple brackets drilled into the top of the back board. Here are a couple of pics before installation. It is currently out on location at Olaf's in Seattle. image-946.jpgimage-946.jpgimage-87.jpgimage-87.jpg

#3 9 years ago

looks great for the machine. a little ingenuity goes a long way.

#4 9 years ago

Cool. Are they suspened, on a base, or do they float?

#5 9 years ago

No base. A small L bracket is fastened to the tank with screws and nuts, above the resin line. When installed, the tank has a black lid on it, so you can't see the mounting hardware. The led strip was put on the lid too, so it's lit from the top.

#6 9 years ago

Nice!! How did you keep the heads 'in place' while you poured the resin?

#7 9 years ago

The heads have a hook on them that attach to the back of the tank. The resin needed to be poured in 2 batches about 5 hours apart. First pour went around mouth level. The lid and a little weight kept the heads from floating up.

1 week later
#8 9 years ago

If you want to make another pm me with cost Looks great

#9 9 years ago

I'm interested too if you ever chose to make more of those.

#10 9 years ago

That is very cool. Love the floating effect.

#11 9 years ago

I don't have the pin and I want one. Looks great!

#12 9 years ago

Cool! Any pics of it installed in the game? I bought the same set of dvd/blu-rays and was thinking of doing the same...

#13 9 years ago

I'm in the process of building one for mine as well. I bought the resin, but am going to install it without first and see how it looks. The heads have springs, so I'm wondering if they will wobble at all during game play (especially with the shaker motor). I also have both green and white led strips coming from Comet Pinball - will see which looks better.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

I'm in the process of building one for mine as well. I bought the resin, but am going to install it without first and see how it looks. The heads have springs, so I'm wondering if they will wobble at all during game play (especially with the shaker motor). I also have both green and white led strips coming from Comet Pinball - will see which looks better.

Have you figured out how to mount this to the backboard yet? If so, can you explain/post pics?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

Have you figured out how to mount this to the backboard yet? If so, can you explain/post pics?

I'm just going to make a metal bracket that will extend down vertically in the middle outside of the tank and then bent 90° horizontally along the bottom of the tank for support. A couple of small screws in the bottom will hold the tank to the bracket. I'll use the existing screw just above the aquarium plastic to hold it in place. I'll line the back of the bracket with felt so the existing aquarium plastic isn't scratched. Will probably cover the back of the tank with black felt to hide the existing heads in the backboard plastic and to help keep the LED strip lighting in the tank itself. The led strips can be tied into the backboard GI lighting with a pigtail connector.

Adding the resin will add considerable weight which will require additional brackets - that's why I want to try it without the resin first (that and the head wobble effect). I think it will be light enough that one bracket will hold it in place just fine.

I'll post some pics as I get going.

#16 9 years ago

Here it is installed.

image-988.jpgimage-988.jpg image-955.jpgimage-955.jpg
#17 9 years ago
Quoted from PH_Mark:

Here it is installed.

image-988.jpg 98 KB

image-955.jpg 115 KB

Are you building more
Looks great

#18 9 years ago

I might be persuaded.

I agreed to sell the other one I have. If there was more interest I could try to source some more cases.

#19 9 years ago

I am in line

#20 9 years ago

Had time to play with the tank mod tonight. Still needs some tweaking and I'm not overly happy with the heads - hopefully some new one will become available shortly and I can switch them out. I might also look at adding in some white lights to diffuse the green a little.

IMG_6788.JPGIMG_6788.JPG IMG_6798.JPGIMG_6798.JPG IMG_6801.JPGIMG_6801.JPG
#21 9 years ago

Op this is awesome looking. The resin makes all the difference.

#22 9 years ago

Nicer than the one on my le

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 26.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-head-tank-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.