Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5041.jpg
IMG_0089.jpg
IMG_4048.jpg
IMG_4047.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Guys, My TWD Prem started flickering the other day and now is almost constantly flickering or is off altogether.

I went through all the connectors on the boards, under the playfield and on the wiring harnesses and didn't find anything obvious.

This is my first modern Stern, and this stuff doesn't look familiar to me. Before I start diving in (which usually means messing something else up) any hints on what to look for or which wiring/boards to start with. I did find a GI tag/wiring harness connecting to a board under the weapon inserts, but haven't traced it al the way through yet.

Anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

Mine is starting to do it too. Going to watch this thread to see if someone knows how to fix it.

#3 9 years ago

Contact Stern support and your distributor. They'll take care of you.

#4 9 years ago

I had a similar/identical problem on my Metallica, ended up either or both a bad "network cable"(I don't know how to better explain this) and/or a bad board, I assume Walking Dead has same wire and bad GI board under playfield. After replaced both, GI worked fine. It was so bad I couldn't even play the game eventually, my eyes and head would hurt it flickered so bad. Just the GI, not the inserts.

#5 9 years ago

Okay, thanks fellas!

#6 9 years ago

double check your connectors again on your led board#3 under the playfield , on my twd i had the same problems and it was a lose connector on led board #3 .

#7 9 years ago

Ok looks like it was the power connector not the lighting harness. Take a look at this pic already dis colored from heat or arching. Had to disconnect it to see the problem.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#8 9 years ago

Wonder what caused that! Thanks BK!

#9 9 years ago

Bad connection , and this board/connector is very close to the left slingshot .
It tends to slip off the board , no idea how to fix it .

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Ok looks like it was the power connector not the lighting harness. Take a look at this pic already dis colored from heat or arching. Had to disconnect it to see the problem.

Right after you said that that was the EXACT problem with mine, I forget, I had to go through 2 rounds of "fixes". Finally smelled it burning and that was the exact plug that we found to replace and fixed it all. It was attached to my "light board" on my Metallica, not sure if yours is the same but definitely identical red/black cord and connector. Sorry I had forgotten until you posted that picture and I remembered the exact same look!

5 months later
#11 8 years ago

This just happened to me! Thank god for pinside and this post. I was stressing. My connector also has that yellowing. Plugged it all the way back on and GI is back.

#12 8 years ago

where is this located? and whats GI sorry for being a newb! just something i want to check on mine. thanks

#13 8 years ago

The board is located under the playfield to the left near the left slingshot. There is a power connector on the left hand side of the board. Mine had worked itself loose probably due to the shaker motor. GI means General Illumination lights.

#14 8 years ago

Off topic but does anyone know if you can adjust magnet power?

#15 8 years ago

Stern has a Tech fix for this, it's a new Wiring Harness w/Crimped Trifurcon Connector Pins.
Problem is they are passing ALL the Insert & GI power through that Connector.

Poor design IMO.

#16 8 years ago

"Power Supply Kit #502-6952-00"
Paperwork shows for Mustang & all versions of TWD, so may or may not work for Metallica.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from gashog301:

Off topic but does anyone know if you can adjust magnet power?

AFAIK no you cannot.

#18 8 years ago

Funny, my TWD just started doing this 2 days ago. It's intermittent, so it seems very much like a loose connection issue.

Sounds like a lot of people are having this problem, which is why Stern has an official tech fix for it. I will be contacting my distributor.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

"Power Supply Kit #502-6952-00"
Paperwork shows for Mustang & all versions of TWD, so may or may not work for Metallica.

Thanks for this. Just contacted my supplier here in Aus and they are sending out the kit today. Should have it tomorrow.

#20 8 years ago

Not a real "Fix" IMO - more like a patch & I honestly don't think it will stand the test of time (& I really hope I'm wrong!).
Pretty sure CRIMPED .156 MOLEX Trifurcon Crimp Connectors (7A w/18AWG Wire) are NOT rated for any higher current carrying capacity then the Panduit IDC Connectors that Stern is using.
Phosphor Bronze Trifurcons do have significantly better Pin retention, grip and more surface area than the stock Panduit IDC Connectors.
Another contributing factor IMO is TWD (all flavors) has probably the most violent/used Shaker Motor action than I've seen in any Stern Pin.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

Not a real "Fix" IMO - more like a patch & I honestly don't think it will stand the test of time (& I really hope I'm wrong!).
Pretty sure CRIMPED .156 MOLEX Trifurcon Crimp Connectors (7A w/18AWG Wire) are NOT rated for any higher current carrying capacity then the Panduit IDC Connectors that Stern is using.
Phosphor Bronze Trifurcons do have significantly better Pin retention, grip and more surface area than the stock Panduit IDC Connectors.
Another contributing factor IMO is TWD (all flavors) has probably the most violent/used Shaker Motor action than I've seen in any Stern Pin.

I tightened the connector on mine about an hour ago. I had the pin on for no more than 3 minutes (enough time to get the glass off and PF raised) and I was really surprised to feel how hot the connector was already. Can only imagine how hot it gets after being on for an extended period.

There's obviously a lot of current going through there.

2 weeks later
#22 8 years ago

well, where is this great customer service stern supposedly gives? wd le been down 4 months. got light board and the red and black power harness, replaced both and still no good. was sent another light board "just in case" replaced it and still no good. this is the same black and red harness and the board described up above between the 2 slings! the game is still no good. been working with chas, dude has disappeared (maybe buried under kiss issues?)
doesn't no longer respond to my emails, great!

anybody by me wanna come fix this I will gladly pay you for your time. I give up on stern.

#23 8 years ago

Reach out to your distubtor ask them for help. Some times when Stern gets busy they need an extra push.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

well, where is this great customer service stern supposedly gives? wd le been down 4 months. got light board and the red and black power harness, replaced both and still no good. was sent another light board "just in case" replaced it and still no good. this is the same black and red harness and the board described up above between the 2 slings! the game is still no good. been working with chas, dude has disappeared (maybe buried under kiss issues?)
dont no longer respond to my emails, great!
» YouTube video
anybody by me wanna come fix this I will gladly pay you for your time. I give up on stern.

I've had the same exact issue. Done what you did and still the same bulls*it...been down for months!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

I've had the same exact issue. Done what you did and still the same bulls*it...been down for months!

let me know if you find a fix, ill do the same. btw I checked all connections and removed all my mods and looked all over for shorts and find nothing!

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Reach out to your distubtor ask them for help. Some times when Stern gets busy they need an extra push.

I just contacted my dist. on this and kiss le issues that have yet to be helped with after 3 weeks.

3 weeks later
#27 8 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

let me know if you find a fix, ill do the same. btw I checked all connections and removed all my mods and looked all over for shorts and find nothing!

did you ever get a fix? stern sent me 2 boards and the harness and still having the same issue!

#28 8 years ago

hello I have been having this issue on my walking dead le. stern sent me the light board #520-6937-00f
and the power board # 520-6821-00. I was also sent the black and red cable from the power board to the light board that was turning brown from the heat. still issues, I have looked at every connection and don't see any chaffing or bad connections. just dealing with this for 5 months has really made me crazy. any help would be appreciated. I have a video of the defect same as all these other pins. from what I have seen most have had the red and black cables replaced to fix the issue. no such luck for mine!!

IMG_4047.jpgIMG_4047.jpg
IMG_4048.jpgIMG_4048.jpg

4 weeks later
#29 8 years ago

I have the same problem, I received the new cable but it did nothing to fix the problem.

Robtron, are you still having the problem, what does Stern have to say?

#30 8 years ago

Robotron's problem was a defective light socket in the white gi...it was shorted. The shitty part is it took out q25 (surface mounted transistor) on the big board (with the rj45) under the pf. It did this on 2 board

Which means there is no protection (fused) from a simple shorted gi socket

Being the insulation was missing from the inside of the socket and not an external short...and it never worked day one... it's pretty safe to say it left the Stern factory this way.

A fellow Pinsider did the repairs..maybe he'll chime in. Pics show the defective socket vs a good socket on the same game

Pull the big board...flip it overt and check out the transisters by the gi plug. They are small but on the 2 board I saw it was obvious they were bad. If you see one blown up...It might be a hint to a short in your gi

IMG_0089.jpgIMG_0089.jpg
IMG_5041.jpgIMG_5041.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 16.00
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-gi-is-flickering-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.