• Latest reply 1 year ago by ULEKstore
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

switch grid (resized).png

#1 3 years ago

This is an issue that has been bothering me for a while and I got the fix in last night.

Finally.

So, I'd like to share what I have learned.

TWD had had mystery ghost hits to the prison for the better part of a year now. Replaced optos, replaced opto boards, re flowed connections. Here is where it got strange. The drop targets would reset randomly during a game and with much less frequency than on the prison optos. So I am stumped. The game freaks out and goes into multiball randomly during games.

No Bueno.

As I am working on the game again last night I get the machine gun opto registering in the switch test and start to see the drop targets coming up when they shouldn't and when I unplug the connector to the 3 bank I notice that the optos on the ball trough go out. I make the connection. Checking the wiring on the connector to the drops (why is it ALWAYS the connectors...) on of the wires frays and breaks. I reconnect the wire to the connector after I twist and solder the wire together.

No ghost hits on either the prison opto or the drop bank now.

I used to be able to diagnose this more easily with the 8x8 switch grid from bally/williams and while stern's system is great, the vertical/horizontal relation to the switch grid is much different and not as intuitive as the older system. But even more important, knowing the connection between errors on the game will be more intuitive for me in the future. The error may not be the primary source of errors, it may be another link within the chain.

That's what I learned, I hope this will help you toon.

switch grid (resized).pngswitch grid (resized).png
2 weeks later
#2 3 years ago

And don't forget to clean your connectors.

2 years later
#3 1 year ago

Thank you for your post. I was just getting on here to ask help with the "ghost/phantom" hits to the prison. It's been going on for a few months now and nothing that I seem to do helps. I printed out your fix and bringing it with me to the arcade, with my fingers crossed. Thanks again for sharing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-ghost-hits-on-the-prison-opto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.