image-787.jpg
image.jpg
images-966.jpg
image.jpg
363603.jpg
image.jpg
image-623.jpg
image-633.jpg
There are 322 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 9 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

I get confused reading all the LE versus pro comments that I just ordered a pro in addition to my premium so I can compare and keep the best version!

haha. did you really? that's hilarious.

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

haha. did you really? that's hilarious.

Yup.. you only live once

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from e4mafia:

I am thinking that a potential fix I'm looking at for Wellverine's shitty sticker may end up also fixing any remaining pop drains. I play to find large rubber, similar to a flipper rubber, and place that around the metal base. It will give a nice, easily replaceable buffer, and the extra 1/4 inch of width should penetrate far enough right to give a tiny bounce to the balls coming out of the pops that have floated away from the rail.

Aren't you worried that increasing the size of the well walker base will make the tunnel shot even harder? It's already a really tough shot to hit.

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

I just ordered a pro

I did the same this morning

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Aren't you worried that increasing the size of the well walker base will make the tunnel shot even harder? It's already a really tough shot to hit.

Not really...most of my misses on it are ricochets off the bottom pop, so if anything, i think this would redirect them into the rail a bit, and possibly make them easier?

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This is a design flaw. A very hard shot up the right ramp can send the ball off the ramp. This happens quite often on my game when I do a right orbit, right ramp combo. There needs to be a clear plastic over the right ramp like the one on the left ramp. If Stern doesn't offer this in the future, hopefully someone like Pinbits will.

Agreed, I was on location today and the ball flew off that ramp and was stuck in the upper right playfield, had to tilt out of the ball just to get it out of there. Way too many airballs off that ramp IMO... Hope they do more on the code side on this game, as sometimes i feel there is isn't much to shoot for. Still have not had the big 100M + scores that everyone seems to get on this thread, even with stacking prision, well, having 2x plus a mode running.

#157 9 years ago

I don't have much time on this game, but it sure sounds like CDC is the way to play this game. The way I am reading some replies and seeing the posted scores, is this mode dominating all other strategies?

Is there a reason to even risk shooting at the prison and well walker to play a multiball? Keep in mind I am thinking tourney strategy, not "explore the game" strategy.

I know there are several variables in the high score setup, but it seems the main goal of CDC is hitting the left ramp repeatedly.

Hopefully PAPA will have some TWD video coverage during the tourney and I can see what players are trying to accomplish.

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I don't have much time on this game, but it sure sounds like CDC is the way to play this game. The way I am reading some replies and seeing the posted scores, is this mode dominating all other strategies?
Is there a reason to even risk shooting at the prison and well walker to play a multiball? Keep in mind I am thinking tourney strategy, not "explore the game" strategy.
I know there are several variables in the high score setup, but it seems the main goal of CDC is hitting the left ramp repeatedly.
Hopefully PAPA will have some TWD video coverage during the tourney and I can see what players are trying to accomplish.

Wrong from what I understand. When cdc starts I believe hitting all other lanes increases the cdc value. Then hitting the cdc ramp collects it. The arena is an ever increasing shot that increases with each ramp shot made. That can be luracitive too, but the arena shot is much harder imo.

#159 9 years ago

Also I know that TWD will be used for qualifying for A division in papa but will it be used for finals? I wonder if many guys will use it for qualifying due to the number of goofy shots in the game.

#160 9 years ago

Is there a reason to even risk shooting at the prison and well walker to play a multiball?

You can also stack in Blood Bath multiball.

http://papa.org/2015/01/01/the-walking-dead-rulesheet/

#161 9 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

The frustration I have with my TWD LE is there is not any fun interactive toys on the playfield. Sterns idea of interactive toys are bash toys and its getting old. Placing a skeleton head in the prison cell was a big opportunity for some kid of interaction with the ball but Stern blew it. Just that could have made it a completely different and fun game to play. Instead I'm bashing the bicycle girl, bashing the prison cell or bashing the huge Well Walker and that's when it's not stuck in the pop numbers for the other third of the time. Just my 2 cents.

The head in the prison wasnt the original design. Iirc, Borgie had a mechanical ball lock in there before. Cost cutting made it this way.

Spoke with my pal ( who has a new job in Chicago now), and he remembers the game being much darker too. Voiceovers, radio transmissions( warnings like in original night of the living dead).

He still thinks TWD is a great title and wants an LE someday himself, and he's not a collector...so that says something I guess.

#162 9 years ago

My new strategy is to start WW MB first then have Prison ready after first ball drains and start Prison MB, then try and get WW MB going again with multiple hits and hopefully stack Blood Bath with it

I LOVE this F ing pin!

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

My new strategy is to start WW MB first then have Prison ready after first ball drains and start Prison MB, then try and get WW MB going again with multiple hits and hopefully stack Blood Bath with it
I LOVE this F ing pin!

Ooo dang. I'm gonna try that next time.

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I LOVE this F ing pin!

Broke my friggen BG ramp forward ball deflector. Anyone got a pn handy??

image.jpgimage.jpg
#165 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Broke my friggen BG ramp forward ball deflector. Anyone got a pn handy??

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Dang Rick, no need to be so aggressive!

I love bashing BG

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Dang Rick, no need to be so aggressive!
I love bashing BG

Yeah, slapped bicycle girl one time too many.

Hopefully I don't have to buy an entire plastics set!!

#167 9 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I find that most pins on location suck.

Yes Sir, if you are judging pinball by the on location games.

#168 9 years ago

Can't really put my finger on it other than the sounds, new callouts, layout, artwork, theme, code at this stage, uniqueness, immersiveness, great shots, tight shots and of course Zombies.

It's my favorite pinball machine and imo, Stern's best pin or will be when Lyman gets his ass in gear and finishes it off!

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wrong from what I understand. When cdc starts I believe hitting all other lanes increases the cdc value. Then hitting the cdc ramp collects it. The arena is an ever increasing shot that increases with each ramp shot made. That can be luracitive too, but the arena shot is much harder imo.

Arena shot only increases substantially when combo'd. When your hits are within ~3-5 seconds of each other, the value will jump significantly. Shot 1, 1,000,000, shot 2 - 8,000,000 etc. Can get some serious points there too, but for me, I can only seem to hit it 6 times in a row when its not lit, and arena isn't up, so I bank myself like 500 points a shot. Nice, eh?

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from e4mafia:

Arena shot only increases substantially when combo'd. When your hits are within ~3-5 seconds of each other, the value will jump significantly. Shot 1, 1,000,000, shot 2 - 8,000,000 etc. Can get some serious points there too, but for me, I can only seem to hit it 6 times in a row when its not lit, and arena isn't up, so I bank myself like 500 points a shot. Nice, eh?

haha. Story of my life. I can hit the shots all day until that insert is lit haha.

#171 9 years ago

Last night I hit the tunnel 2 x in a row, super high speed, followed by 4 arena ramps in a row...total points, somewhere around 4,000? Does THAT count as a TWD frustration?

#172 9 years ago

I can't tell you how many times I've had a big Arena shot set up with a large inlane multiplier, and then I brick the shot off the blue rubber and it sails right into the left outlane.

#173 9 years ago

just look at the flowers, honey.

#174 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yes Sir, if you are judging pinball by the on location games.

Unfortunately, that's the only option for most people. And if a game is only fun and playable when its perfectly configured, then they have made a mistake. A game will never stay perfectly level on location and if a half degree makes that big of a difference, its a problem. The game should play well at home and on location. We aren't talking about a game that hasn't been cared for and kept up, were talking about a game that requires constant releveling to prevent center drains that make the game unplayable for the average customer.

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

... we're talking about a game that requires constant re-leveling to prevent center drains that make the game unplayable for the average customer.

I'm pretty aggressive with the nudging, and mine doesn't require constant leveling. In fact, I've only ever leveled it once.

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Unfortunately, that's the only option for most people. And if a game is only fun and playable when its perfectly configured, then they have made a mistake. A game will never stay perfectly level on location and if a half degree makes that big of a difference, its a problem. The game should play well at home and on location. We aren't talking about a game that hasn't been cared for and kept up, were talking about a game that requires constant releveling to prevent center drains that make the game unplayable for the average customer.

The one I play on location gets thrown around a lot. I slide it to the left and to the right all the time to avoid various drains. This game also never drains out of the pops, and rarely ever has a SDTM from the magnet.

#177 9 years ago

Put up 150m this morning and have never been more disappointed. Didn't even get to put my initials in.

Stacked prison ww and bb then got another prison later. They seemed to go forever but I never got any real points. Even hit 3 arenas in a row during that mode.

Guess I should have gotten more than 3 mill on the first two balls!

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Put up 150m this morning and have never been more disappointed. Didn't even get to put my initials in.
Stacked prison ww and bb then got another prison later. They seemed to go forever but I never got any real points. Even hit 3 arenas in a row during that mode.
Guess I should have gotten more than 3 mill on the first two balls!

haha. Sounds similar to a game a had the other night. 85 million on my first ball, and didn't even break 100 million when it was all over.

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm pretty aggressive with the nudging, and mine doesn't require constant leveling. In fact, I've only ever leveled it once.

At home you should have a nice level floor.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

The one I play on location gets thrown around a lot. I slide it to the left and to the right all the time to avoid various drains. This game also never drains out of the pops, and rarely ever has a SDTM from the magnet.

Sounds like you have a good op and a nice location. Not everyone is so lucky.

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

At home you should have a nice level floor.

Sounds like you have a good op and a nice location. Not everyone is so lucky.

yeah sounds like it. There are about 3-5 serious pinheads that put a good number of games on it each week. Then other than that I do not think it gets much play since it is so difficult. If anything is not playing right, I email the OP and he comes out to adjust whatever it needs within 24 hours usually.

#181 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

yeah sounds like it. There are about 3-5 serious pinheads that put a good number of games on it each week. Then other than that I do not think it gets much play since it is so difficult. If anything is not playing right, I email the OP and he comes out to adjust whatever it needs within 24 hours usually.

Yeah, that's great. Our game is in the mall arcade, is the only pin, and replaced a Monopoly that had been sitting there with an out of order sign for months. You can imagine the kind of play and care it gets.

#182 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If I could move the game without tilting out it wouldnt be so frustrating. Walking on eggshells while playing a game like TWD does give the player much of a fighting chance.

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Apparently everything past 1990 has fell short of your expectations. Judging by your collection and ratings of course

Hah, Rollergames > AFM, totally.

#184 9 years ago

Have yet to break 100mil
Have mine set on 3 balls with a generous ball save time

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Have yet to break 100mil
Have mine set on 3 balls with a generous ball save time

Perhaps you should consider bumping up that ball save time to a minute ...

#186 9 years ago

I finally got a chance to play an LE last night at a host's house in my local league, and I did not experience ANY drains SDTM from the pop bumpers. Curiously, I did get some SDTM drops from the Prison magnet, which I did not experience on the Pro model that I recently played on location, so I suspect the machine may have been running dated code.

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I finally got a chance to play an LE last night at a host's house in my local league, and I did not experience ANY drains SDTM from the pop bumpers. Curiously, I did get some SDTM drops from the Prison magnet, which I did not experience on the Pro model that I recently played on location, so I suspect the machine may have been running dated code.

And that's consistent with what the majority of TWD LE owners have said: no significant drain issues from the pops.

So strange that the pro that we play on location clearly has this issue, but the LEs don't.

#188 9 years ago

I'm so frustrated not having a walking dead.. luckily they will be delivering one tomorrow. i really really like the gameplay and ramps

#189 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I finally got a chance to play an LE last night at a host's house in my local league, and I did not experience ANY drains SDTM from the pop bumpers ...

I played the game last night as well, and it behaved just like mine with virtually no SDTM drains coming from the pops.

Quoted from Razorbak86:

Curiously, I did get some SDTM drops from the Prison magnet, which I did not experience on the Pro model that I recently played on location, so I suspect the machine may have been running dated code.

I think it was running old code. I couldn't hear the callouts very well because of the other pins, but the skill shot didn't seem quite right.

#190 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

It does have a crappy design element. I'm sorry it does as it really detracts from what is otherwise a fun game.
Most game have some weak design element, unfortunately for TWD it is one that leads to cheap drains.

It's not just the pop drains but also the amount of time the ball is in the pops. Left orbit to pops is a massive flow killer. The pop bumpers ruined the game for me and I sold mine after only 6 weeks of ownership due to the pop bumpers.

#191 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I get them sdtm from prison magnet too much and running the newest code.

#192 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It's not just the pop drains but also the amount of time the ball is in the pops. Left orbit to pops is a massive flow killer. The pop bumpers ruined the game for me and I sold mine after only 6 weeks of ownership due to the pop bumpers.

But it's obviously not meant to be a flow game.

#193 9 years ago

I have a pro no sdtm problem here

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

That was foolish, disable the far right pop and by applying some felt to the orbit lane guide on the right side there is a super fast direct shot back to the left flipper plus the pops are no longer an issue with regards to time spent, I hope there was more reason for you selling this great game than that.

#195 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

That was foolish, disable the far right pop and by applying some felt to the orbit lane guide on the right side there is a super fast direct shot back to the left flipper plus the pops are no longer an issue with regards to time spent, I hope there was more reason for you selling this great game than that.

How thick should the felt be? Got a link to something comparable?

#196 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

This is not a solution. I played with these types of fixes and the ball bounces and hits the left most pop. I did get it to consistently come to the left flipper on a right orbit shot but it still was no a solution to every plunge ending in the pops. The pops just ruined the game for me.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

But it's obviously not meant to be a flow game.

Then I'm glad I'm out. Whether it was intended or not is irrelevant to whether or not I enjoy the flow of the game

#197 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

How thick should the felt be? Got a link to something comparable?

Get the sheet of self adhesive felt from Hobby Lobby, works great

#198 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This is not a solution. I played with these types of fixes and the ball bounces and hits the left most pop. I did get it to consistently come to the left flipper on a right orbit shot but it still was no a solution to every plunge ending in the pops. The pops just ruined the game for me.

Well it worked very well for me, and the pops are required during the multiballs to lighten the load but not every game can be for everyone. It really is a special pin, and my current favorite, the theme and gameplay, SFX and music just are top notch.

#199 9 years ago

Prison -- yes. Well walker -- depends... for me, only if I'm close to a WWMB, or to use it to add in another ball (plus ball save) on PrisonMB.

But don't forget about Blood Bath MB -- ridiculously long ball save time, and chance to add in another ball twice -- plus another ridiculously long ball save on each added ball. Very similar to TRON's QuorraMB two add-a-ball's, but Quorra doesn't have much ball save time added.

#200 9 years ago

You can get the well walker easily with the right flipper with no drain danger

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 322 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-frustration-thread/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.