Topic Stats

• 322 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

389271.jpg
High Score #2.JPG
image-572.jpg
image-327.jpg
image-787.jpg
image.jpg
images-966.jpg
image.jpg
363603.jpg
image.jpg
image-623.jpg
image-633.jpg

There are 322 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

the one coming out of the pops and draining the ball down the middle.

If the game is level, this needs no adjustment. should feed the right flipper if it doesn't hit the guide, and if it does, it should feed the left flipper.

#52 4 years ago

Way too much info. I just put a level on the PF and lined it up over a straight line in the graphics.
Very simple and it solved 95% of the pop drains

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Of note, levelling using the PF glass is not levelling.
As for tilt, the tilt as set from the factory is quite forgiving. On location, if one finds the tilt setting to be sensitive, it shouldn't be surprising that this setting may be changed.

The tilt is NOT set at the factory. It comes in a bag and must be put on the stick by the OP. So blame him....

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

What ball guide? The outlanes?

More specific. Good. And everyone is welcome to their opinion. Though your original comment reads that the game has a crappy design, not crappy design element, which resulted in the earlier quoted remark. There is a notable difference between the two statements... (some specificity versus a sweeping generalization).
"Crappy design element" is not the same thing as "crappy design", like
"I shoot people" is not the same thing as "I shoot".
I see much on the thread to address the issues noted. Including adjustments and tweaks to minimize or completely remove pop drains. Such is the case with many other pin themes and related issues, adjustments and tweaks (e.g., as noted with sling airballs earlier). So I fail to see how there is a crappy design element.
Plus,... characterizing how a game plays is full of subjective preferences. I like to use more neutral language that isn't so loaded. Some people like more challenging games, other's don't, and many have noted that they find TWD to be a challenging game. TWD has big outlanes and some shots that can lead to stdms. Still, even with that the machine can be adjusted and tweaked a multitude of ways to fine tune the play and lessen drains if so desired. All together, it doesn't mean there is a bad (crappy) design element imo and such language is misleading or used to tarnish a machine.
Any way, I've gone through this language enough.

I guess I'll just hope to find a location game that ha ms been fine tuned.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I'll pass that along to the op.
The airballs off the right sling is pretty crazy. I had airballs over the left sling and wireform. Can the slings be adjusted?

Yes, there is an adjustment for the slingshot strength. I adjusted the one on location where we play league and I was completely astounded by how far I had to turn it down for the air balls to stop. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was like if the default was 40, I had to go down to 12 or something like that.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Yes, there is an adjustment for the slingshot strength. I adjusted the one on location where we play league and I was completely astounded by how far I had to turn it down for the air balls to stop. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was like if the default was 40, I had to go down to 12 or something like that.

Thanks for the tip. The op has been very responsive to issues with the game.

#57 4 years ago

You haven't really lived until you've seen this fascinating sequence from TWD:

1. Press "start game" button
2. Shooter --> pops (pops mess with the ball a while)
3. Pops --> ball dribbles out
4. Ball dribbles out (and goes) --> SDTM to ball save
5. Ball save --> shoots ball to pops (pops mess with the ball a while)
6. Pops --> ball dribbles out
7. Ball dribbles out and goes --> SDTM to lose the ball

You never even got to flip once.
You'll have the biggest belly laugh of your life. Try it!

I had no sense that my machine was not pitched or leveled correctly. If that's the case fair enough, but I call this a multi-dimensional design flaw. Every game has its "weak spots" Some are easier to spot that others.

-mof

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I had no sense that my machine was not pitched or leveled correctly. If that's the case fair enough, but I call this a multi-dimensional design flaw. Every game has its "weak spots" Some are easier to spot that others.
-mof

My favorite is making the EB shot to pops to dribble drain to EB played to pops to dribble drain.
Good times.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

Not so much auto plunge as auto drain with additional tease factor thrown in for good measure, imagine the frustration if that happened at a GC or comp level moment. All you can do at that point is a one man Mexican wave right.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The tilt is NOT set at the factory. It comes in a bag and must be put on the stick by the OP. So blame him....

Yes, and from my memory Stern in the setup sheet describes how to set up the plumb and adjust it (I had help with the set up and need to confirm). I went with that description for the plumb placement and inferred that the OP did not go with the same position.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

I guess I'll just hope to find a location game that ha ms been fine tuned.

I hope you are able to. It has helped many immensely and cheap drains are not enjoyable at all. Since you mention the OP is responsive, you may be able to offer services/help on the current machine and see some positive results. There is a lot of info on the forum to address the issues discussed.

#61 4 years ago

It's frustrating to read so many posts on such an EASY FIX!

Just add a rubber to the post at the end of the pops ball guide. 30 seconds and it's fixed. The ball will bounce over to the left flipper 90% of the time. Leveling won't even matter.

It's too bad if you can't get an operator to do this for you, but it's sooooooo easy.

#62 4 years ago

If there is one good thing about the STDM drains from the pops - it's that all that time spent watching the ball in the pops is no longer boring and pointless. Instead - you can spend it sweating in fear of a cheap death. Perfect theme integration!

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Exactly, if you have the game at home then its very simple to set it up and have it play perfectly with zero issues so if the problem is that on site games really are not that great who cares, poorly set up, usually the volume is low and its noisy all around you, brightly lit room etc. all this detracts from the real experience of playing pinball for me, most owners will tell you that they don't experience these issues.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Just add a rubber to the post at the end of the pops ball guide. 30 seconds and it's fixed. The ball will bounce over to the left flipper 90% of the time. Leveling won't even matter.

Not necessarily. I suggested the same thing on another thread discussing the issue a while ago and this was one of the responses....

Quoted from gweempose:

Good luck making the tunnel shot from the crossbow if you switch to a larger rubber. It's already nearly an impossible shot.

As such I did not recommend it here. Though I don't know if that is an issue or not as I've never changed the rubber on that or any post.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

It's too bad if you can't get an operator to do this for you, but it's sooooooo easy.

Definitely wouldn't be able to get our operator to do it. He doesn't care.

#66 4 years ago

Remember this was the issue with acdc at first . today a few folks love the game.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Remember this was the issue with acdc at first . today a few folks love the game.

What was? I remember the bell was seen as a danger area and to stay away. Now it's the main target for many players at some point.

#68 4 years ago

The center shot always went straight down. We all changed to a larger rubber so it would bounce off angle. Pretty sure they even designed the guide a little different later. My Luci version was good out of the box vs my first premium where I had to switch to the larger post.

#69 4 years ago

A drain after a made shot sucks but is not without presedence. POTC drains exiting from the chest to the right outlane maybe 10-20% of the time. Nudging is your friend in this instance. Now that I'm experienced and know when to nudge it doesn't bother me nearly as much. When I was new to pinball it was absolutely infuriating.

#70 4 years ago

The particular location was created at the urging of one of our league members that does tech work for the op.
We all try to support it as much as possible as it will lead to more local ca locations.

#71 4 years ago

Easy fix:

Disconnect the wires from the pops
Block both outlanes
Put clothes pins on the flippers to make sdtm impossible
Set the number of balls to 10

Let the fun begin!

#72 4 years ago

People not being very nice on this tread.
Not cool.

#73 4 years ago

As a passionate pinball hobbyist, I think it's fair to have high expectations for each title, and to be honest when those expectations are not met. In 2015, we will only see a few new machines shipped this year, and I really hope that these designs get more scrutiny in the idea room, before they are allowed to make it into the factory to be reproduced with 'easy to spot' weaknesses in the design.

I would bet most of the people on this forum want to see every vendor succeed with EVERY title.

I can both root for a vendor to design something great with each title, AND be honest when they fall short of my expectations.

-mof

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

As a passionate pinball hobbyist, I think it's fair to have high expectations for each title, and to be honest when those expectations are not met. In 2015, we will only see a few new machines shipped this year, and I really hope that these designs get more scrutiny in the idea room, before they are allowed to make it into the factory to be reproduced with 'easy to spot' weaknesses in the design.
I would bet most of the people on this forum want to see every vendor succeed with EVERY title. Sadly, that hasn't been my experience.
I can both root for a vendor to design something great with each title, AND be honest when they fall short of my expectations.
-mof

Apparently everything past 1990 has fell short of your expectations. Judging by your collection and ratings of course

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from aveamike:

People [are] not being very nice in this thread.

Pardon?
We're having a little fun - blowing off a little steam...

1. Nobody is taking cheap shots at anyone.
2. There are a few comments that reflect wishes that the design was better scrutinized.
3. It would have been nice if this game didn't like to drain SDTM after the pops hold up the ball for a while.
4. This is a "frustration" thread -- you are welcome to drain it.

-mof

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Easy fix:
Disconnect the wires from the pops
Block both outlanes
Put clothes pins on the flippers to make sdtm impossible
Set the number of balls to 10
Let the fun begin!

inspirational post, thanks for taking the time to type

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Apparently... "It's time to veer off course."

This thread is about TWD, "Stay on target gold leader."
-mof

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Apparently everything past 1990 has fell short of your expectations. Judging by your collection and ratings of course

Stalk much?

#79 4 years ago

In related news, a 15yr. old kid(who happens to be an excellent player) in our league last night put 354M on TWD. How did he do it? CDC. CDC with 2x playfield to be exact. He scored over 245M in that mode alone. That really needs to be fixed in the next code update. That is WAY WAY WAY unbalanced scoring!

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

In related news, a 15yr. old kid(who happens to be an excellent player) in our league last night put 354M on TWD. How did he do it? CDC. CDC with 2x playfield to be exact. He scored over 245M in that mode alone. That really needs to be fixed in the next code update. That is WAY WAY WAY unbalanced scoring!

Ask Xerico to send you a pic of his top CDC score. lol.

It's unbalanced, but difficult to set up the ridiculous score -- requires building up and not accidentally prematurely using your inlane shot multiplier.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

It's unbalanced, but difficult to set up the ridiculous score -- requires building up and not accidentally prematurely using your inlane shot multiplier.

totally agree. the CDC mega score is very difficult to achieve. You basically need to prime the CDC ramp by hitting all other lit shots, then get 2x playfield, then get 2x inlane, then blast the CDC ramp to collect. If you have Bicycle Girl going too, I bet it is even crazier.

I find this similar to stack up those ACDC jackpots and cashing them in.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I wish I could say I set this score up with deliberate shots, but I did not.

I just kept the ball alive during a stacked Blood Lust MB, Walker MB & CDC run.

CDC

Which led to this GC score

Grand Champion

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Hint. That is what I was alluding to. RE previous posts about people saying they levelled a location machine.

Hint. The pin in question is owned by last years PAPA champion. They also use it every week in the local pinball league. I think they know how to level the fucker!

#84 4 years ago

Holy hell. My top score is 90 million. I haven't been able to get a lucrative CDC yet.

#85 4 years ago

I have frustration with our TWD Pro on location:

1. The well walker has trouble registering hits. Are others having this issue and what is the fix?
2. The barn door sometimes does not open after you spell PRISION, but it will open after you drain on the next ball when it is pludged for the skill shot. When testing it with the glass off it would also open if you held the ball for 10 seconds with a flipper and then open, if this how it is suppose to operate as I am not too familiar with the code on this one...

Would like to give some feedback to the operator on how we can dial this in for league and tournaments.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Hint. The pin in question is owned by last years PAPA champion. They also use it every week in the local pinball league. I think they know how to level the fucker!

That may be true but it's a non-sequitur comment. The quoted discussion wasn't about the OP. It's about how a player posted here that he levelled a location machine. Hint, most people don't have the key to get access to the playing field of a location game that they do not own. There has been no detailed information in the initial post on how it was levelled by that player, and none since the related detailed comments and replies. So drawing a conclusion based on the evidence, reasonable inferences and precepts such as Occam's razor means it does not appear to have been levelled properly by the player when he adjusted it.

How awesome the OP of the machine is and that he knows how to level it has nothing to do with the above discussion.

Quoted from bcrage88:

I have frustration with our TWD Pro on location:
1. The well walker has trouble registering hits. Are others having this issue and what is the fix?
2. The barn door sometimes does not open after you spell PRISION, but it will open after you drain on the next ball when it is pludged for the skill shot. When testing it with the glass off it would also open if you held the ball for 10 seconds with a flipper and then open, if this how it is suppose to operate as I am not too familiar with the code on this one...
Would like to give some feedback to the operator on how we can dial this in for league and tournaments.

#1. These features are based on a switch, and they are used extensively in all types of pinball machines. There is a lot of information on the internet on how to adjust switches on a pinball machine.
#2. I've seen a few people post that before on the forum. Never saw an answer. I think it was on Pro machines and do no recall similar issues with the LE. Sounds like a code issue, may be a switch issue. You can hunt down the posts and follow up with them if you wish.

#87 4 years ago

I sold my TWDLE last weekend to some great folks locally, at a loss of course. It was fun and different, but I found myself not playing it as much as I have my other pins. AC/DC and XMENLE are dominating my play time the last few months. Tough to beat rock and rolling to the pinball and getting extra guitar riffs during MB jackpots. It makes you want to hit the ramps to "make the music"!! XMENLE matches it with gameplay and the third flipper....50% more fun. But I digress. IMHO, pinball should not be frustrating....the world is frustrating enough!!

Bring on the next rock and roll pinball machine, please. thank you.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Sounds familiar to me Taylor.
Be prepared to be told by TWD owners that "this doesn't happen on my pin" though.

It doesn't happen on my pin.

You guys can read the multiple threads re the issues. Just a fact, and its a great pin, and my favorite one right now!

Don't play it on location is all I can say, play something else. Btw, I experienced the same thing in Breckenridge at Eric's, except I didn't want to break the glass and have to pay for it.

#89 4 years ago

Insane score Xerico! Some of the best pandemonium ever with MB

Quoted from Xerico:

CDC
Grand Champion

image-633.jpg 190 KB

image-623.jpg 195 KB

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It doesn't happen on my pin.
You guys can read the multiple threads re the issues. Just a fact, and its a great pin, and my favorite one right now!
Don't play it on location is all I can say, play something else.

Or play the one that I play on location in Covington, KY. Plays awesome!

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Times 10 with Ac/dc, still does it way too much for my liking. Still love it though!

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

CDC
Grand Champion

image-633.jpg 190 KB

image-623.jpg 195 KB

Damn that is impressive. I have noticed that Tunnel mode can give huge points.

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Damn that is impressive. I have noticed that Tunnel mode can give huge points.

yeah, that is true. I just have trouble hitting it multiple times in a row. I am always bad a left flipper shots. Not sure why. I guess it is cause I am right handed maybe.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

Has anyone else had issues with hitting the zombie head in the prison, not registering, and going SDTM? I've played three different TWD on location and all of them I had this issue. Also, the left outlane seems to drain quite often compared to the right.

The zombie head is a code issue. I have taken the glass off and in switch test the head registers EVERY time. It does not count every time in game play.

We closed down the left outlane and it is still slightly biased to be more drains than right, but not too bad. It is definately a wide open ball eater.

For SDTM from prison mag I have found tapping the flipper buttons a bit just beforte release helps to impart a little inertia on the ball and much fewer SDTM drains. This does need to be fixed in code ASAP! as mag releases should never = SDTM, or at minimum the game needs to be coded for a ball save for 1.5 seconds post release from mag hold. Cheap drains suck!

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

For SDTM from prison mag I have found tapping the flipper buttons a bit just beforte release helps to impart a little inertia on the ball and much fewer SDTM drains. This does need to be fixed in code ASAP! as mag releases should never = SDTM, or at minimum the game needs to be coded for a ball save for 1.5 seconds post release from mag hold. Cheap drains suck!

If you have this drain, and I don't except for the start of Prison MB where it doesn't matter obviously, simply hold both flippers in right before the animation ends on Prison MB and it sends a pulse to the magnet.

Problem solved.

#96 4 years ago

Great advise, i figured it was just a switch adjustment, I will send the information along to the operator...

Quoted from dzoomer:

That may be true but it's a non-sequitur comment. The quoted discussion wasn't about the OP. It's about how a player posted here that he levelled a location machine. Hint, most people don't have the key to get access to the playing field of a location game that they do not own. With no detailed information in the initial post on how it was levelled by that player, and none since the related comments and replies, it leads people to draw conclusions based on the evidence, reasonable inferences and precepts such as Occam's razor.
How awesome the OP of the machine is and that he knows how to level it has nothing to do with the above discussion.

#1. These features are based on a switch, and they are used extensively in all types of pinball machines. There is a lot of information on the internet on how to adjust switches on a pinball machine.
#2. I've seen a few people post that before on the forum. Never saw an answer. I think it was on Pro machines and do no recall similar issues with the LE. Sounds like a code issue, may be a switch issue. You can hunt down the posts and follow up with them if you wish.

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from bcrage88:

Great advise, i figured it was just a switch adjustment, I will send the information along to the operator...

I hope it helps. Bash toys tend to not pick up all hits in my experience, but neither should they have trouble registering many hits. I'm not super skilled at switch adjustment either though.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

IMHO, pinball should not be frustrating....the world is frustrating enough!!

LOL - I have yet to come across a machine that does not frustrate me on some level

#99 4 years ago

I really haven't had any SDTM problems out of the pops. The magnet is often an issue, but a well timed nudge sorts that out nearly every time.

If this machine has a design flaw, it's the fact that there is only one exit from the pops. The point of pops is to randomize ball movement. If after bouncing around in the pops for a while, the only option is that one outlane... What's the point of having the pops there at all??!

I find the ramps and shots really fun, but I really haven't been playing my TWDle at all. Until code has progressed, there is little motivation to play the pin. My STLE and TWDle sit idle while I play MET, BSD, M50, and WOZ. I'm happy to have both, and I hope the code matures soon.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

If this machine has a design flaw, it's the fact that there is only one exit from the pops. The point of pops is to randomize ball movement. If after bouncing around in the pops for a while, the only option is that one outlane... What's the point of having the pops there at all??!

Exactly.
Pops:
1. Randomize ball movement
2. Score points (targets, 1-2-3 lanes, hidden saucers, etc.)
3. Try to drain on you
-mof

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 199.99
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
There are 322 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside